Gen 1 Rate my Gen 1 Ubers team please. Struggle to get them wins.

1. Lead Jynx.

After long inner debates I came to conclusion that lead Jynx is the best option. It can Lovely Kiss fast and annoying Alakazam (especially those new Flash/Kinesis sets) and Slowbro, it does a lot to Exeggutor, pontentially OHKOs it on crit, it wins 1v1 against Zapdos, can use Counter against d*mb Tauros that hits a potential Counter user with Body Slam instead of Earthquake. And if they're st*pid enough to lead with Mewtwo... you got the Idea.

I'm 4 beers high (Jynx) (F)
Ability: No Ability
- Lovely Kiss
- Counter
- Psychic
- Blizzard

2. Unfortunately, it's a must have

It's not very often, but some players, especially in low ladder, do use Wrap Dragonites. And Gänger is immune to Wrap. Their set is Agility, Thunder Wave, Wrap and Hyper Beam, they can not touch Gengar. It also sorta helps against Starmie (often doesn't run Psychic) and makes dealing with Slowbro much easier, potentially saving Mew or 'lax from exploding.
I also run Counter, although I don't fully understand how this mechanic works. I did successfully counter a couple Hyper Beams, but this seems to not work with Self-Destruct or Explision. At least it works with Chansey's Seismic Toss reliably.

Gengar
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Counter
- Thunderbolt

3. Lax with no coverage.

I used to run Earthquake instead of Amnesia, but the meta shiftet from Dragonites, Gengars and other weird picks to Amnesia Slowbro. And it hits unboosted Snorlax pretty damn hard. Gengar completely walls it though. Wish I could add Reflect and Ice Beam on top of those 4 moves.

Snorlax
- Rest
- Amnesia
- Self-Destruct
- Body Slam

4. Ubers staple - Chansey

Ice Beam for FRZ, Toss for winning stall wars, Light Screen to increase chances against Mewtwo with used up Psychic. Used to run Thunder Wave until realised Freeze is a much more valuable status.

Chansey (F)
- Soft-Boiled
- Light Screen
- Seismic Toss
- Ice Beam

5. Another 4 moveslot syndrom

Mews and Sliwbros are extremely annoying to deal with, so I gave my Mew Explosion. I better play it risky than spend hours spamming Body Slam and Soft Boiled. Used to run Body Slam + Explosion, but Gänger always forced me to switch out. That BS paralysis wasn't that reliable anyways, I usually didn't live long enough to get any advantage from it. And EQ can't be countered.

Mew
- Soft-Boiled
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Explosion

6. MY FAVORITE POKEMON OF ALL TIME

Seriously, that's the main reason I play Ubers.
Psychic lowers Chansey's SPECIAL, so I can win Chansey without outstalling it - useful when I have a bomber (Mew or Lax) or a Sleeper (Jynx only) to deal with opponent's Mewtwo. Used to run Thunderbold, but now I try to explode on Slowbro, not let them force Mewtwo in. Psychic is super useful to finish fools that run Reflect and don't go to hell after my Mew or Snorlax did supernova.

Mewtwo
- Recover
- Amnesia
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Btw I was thinking about giving Mewtwo some physical move to have better chances against Chansey, maybe even Submission. And it's got better PP than Psychic. Also had some funny double revovery ideas (both Recover and Rest), but a lot of battles shifted to more damage higher pace ones. In 2018, when I was good, all battles came down to Mewtwo vs Chansey stall wars, and back then, where skill level was lower, Rest + Recover could've been FANTASTIC.

I also run Counter, although I don't fully understand how this mechanic works. I did successfully counter a couple Hyper Beams, but this seems to not work with Self-Destruct or Explision. At least it works with Chansey's Seismic Toss reliably.

Gengar
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Counter
- Thunderbolt
Oh Wait!? Counter Gengar is real? As far I know Counter just deal damage of Normal and Fight moves on Gen1, both Gengar are imune.
Who will shot a Hyper Beam on Gengar? I'm very confused!

Snorlax
- Rest
- Amnesia
- Self-Destruct
- Body Slam
If you will run an Amnesia Snorlax, it isn't better to switch Body Slam for a special move? Snorlax learn a lot of.

Oh Wait!? Counter Gengar is real? As far I know Counter just deal damage of Normal and Fight moves on Gen1, both Gengar are imune.
Who will shot a Hyper Beam on Gengar? I'm very confused!

If you will run an Amnesia Snorlax, it isn't better to switch Body Slam for a special move? Snorlax learn a lot of.
Yep. If your opponent uses Normal or Fighting type move, and your pokemon gets KOed, you can switch Gengar in and use Counter, cos Counter counters the last move of Normal and Fighting types, not necessarilly the last one landed on its user in the same turn. But it only works if you outspeed the opponent. At least that's how I believe it works. Just like I said, I successfully countered Hyper Beams. Maybe the fact it's low priority (I actually don't know if it is) prevents me from countering Explosion - move that doesn't take recharge turn... wait, but KOing Hyper Beam doesn't either. That's why I said I don't fully understand how this mechanic works. But I swear it did work a couple times. I know this trick from Big Yellow's video.

I run Amnesia Snorlax to beat Slowbro. Usually Snorlax is more usable as a physical attacker, cos its Special side is so weak and lacks STAB. I also can't give up Self-Destruct because that's super crucial with my current fast-paced playstyle. I'm usually slow to react for Amnesia Slowbro, and my main goal is to not let it k*ll me with Surf. For that I use Amnesia. Than I try to fish for Body Slam paralysis. I calculated that a non-STAB Thunderbolt on fully-Amnesied Slowbro makes not that much more damage than STAB Body Slam to justify ditching Rest or Self-Destruct. Without the former you can't beat Slowbro, without the latter you can't get rid of already set up Mew. So, yeah, I use 100% defensive Amnesia, just like Gen 2

1. Lead Jynx.

After long inner debates I came to conclusion that lead Jynx is the best option. It can Lovely Kiss fast and annoying Alakazam (especially those new Flash/Kinesis sets) and Slowbro, it does a lot to Exeggutor, pontentially OHKOs it on crit, it wins 1v1 against Zapdos, can use Counter against d*mb Tauros that hits a potential Counter user with Body Slam instead of Earthquake. And if they're st*pid enough to lead with Mewtwo... you got the Idea.

I'm 4 beers high (Jynx) (F)
- Lovely Kiss
- Counter
- Psychic
- Blizzard

2. Unfortunately, it's a must have

It's not very often, but some players, especially in low ladder, do use Wrap Dragonites. And Gänger is immune to Wrap. Their set is Agility, Thunder Wave, Wrap and Hyper Beam, they can not touch Gengar. It also sorta helps against Starmie (often doesn't run Psychic) and makes dealing with Slowbro much easier, potentially saving Mew or 'lax from exploding.

Gengar
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Counter
- Thunderbolt

3. Lax with no coverage.

I used to run Earthquake instead of Amnesia, but the meta shiftet from Dragonites, Gengars and other weird picks to Amnesia Slowbro. And it hits unboosted Snorlax pretty damn hard. Gengar completely walls it though. Wish I could add Reflect and Ice Beam on top of those 4 moves.

Snorlax
- Rest
- Amnesia
- Self-Destruct
- Body Slam

4. Ubers staple - Chansey

Ice Beam for FRZ, Toss for winning stall wars, Light Screen to increase chances against Mewtwo with used up Psychic. Used to run Thunder Wave until realised Freeze is a much more valuable status.

Chansey (F)
- Soft-Boiled
- Light Screen
- Seismic Toss
- Ice Beam

5. Another 4 moveslot syndrom

Mews and Sliwbros are extremely annoying to deal with, so I gave my Mew Explosion. I better play it risky than spend hours spamming Body Slam and Soft Boiled. Used to run Body Slam + Explosion, but Gänger always forced me to switch out. That BS paralysis wasn't that reliable anyways, I usually didn't live long enough to get any advantage from it. And EQ can't be countered.

Mew
- Soft-Boiled
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Explosion

6. MY FAVORITE POKEMON OF ALL TIME

Seriously, that's the main reason I play Ubers.
Psychic lowers Chansey's SPECIAL, so I can win Chansey without outstalling it - useful when I have a bomber (Mew or Lax) or a Sleeper (Jynx only) to deal with opponent's Mewtwo. Used to run Thunderbold, but now I try to explode on Slowbro, not let them force Mewtwo in. Psychic is super useful to finish fools that run Reflect and don't go to hell after my Mew or Snorlax did supernova.

Mewtwo
- Recover
- Amnesia
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Btw I was thinking about giving Mewtwo some physical move to have better chances against Chansey, maybe even Submission. And it's got better PP than Psychic. Also had some funny double revovery ideas (both Recover and Rest), but a lot of battles shifted to more damage higher pace ones. In 2018, when I was good, all battles came down to Mewtwo vs Chansey stall wars, and back then, where skill level was lower, Rest + Recover could've been FANTASTIC.
A) Gengar with Counter is generally unviable due to being hard to pull off and being incredibly telegraphed, replace it with Night Shade/Psychic
B) That Snorlax set is to put it bluntly, awful, you can either replace it with a Hyper Offense set with Hyper Beam > Amnesia and Earthquake > Rest, or a Mixed attacking set with Blizzard > Rest
C) That Chansey lacks Thunder Wave, if you wish to keep the Light Screen set, replace Ice Beam or Seismic Toss with Thunder Wave
D) That Mew set is usable but I'd much rather either replace Explosion with Body Slam/Thunder Wave or Soft-Boiled with Body Slam/Thunder Wave. Because as it stands, this Mew is very confused as to what it wants to be.
E) If you decide to keep Ice Beam on Chansey and dump Seismic Toss, replace Ice Beam or Psychic on Mewtwo with Thunderbolt. This team as it stands is quite weak to Slowbro.

A) Gengar with Counter is generally unviable due to being hard to pull off and being incredibly telegraphed, replace it with Night Shade/Psychic
B) That Snorlax set is to put it bluntly, awful, you can either replace it with a Hyper Offense set with Hyper Beam > Amnesia and Earthquake > Rest, or a Mixed attacking set with Blizzard > Rest
C) That Chansey lacks Thunder Wave, if you wish to keep the Light Screen set, replace Ice Beam or Seismic Toss with Thunder Wave
D) That Mew set is usable but I'd much rather either replace Explosion with Body Slam/Thunder Wave or Soft-Boiled with Body Slam/Thunder Wave. Because as it stands, this Mew is very confused as to what it wants to be.
E) If you decide to keep Ice Beam on Chansey and dump Seismic Toss, replace Ice Beam or Psychic on Mewtwo with Thunderbolt. This team as it stands is quite weak to Slowbro.
You'll laugh hard, but I actually designed most of my weird sets specifically to counter Slowbro.
A)Gengar's Counter is just a mean of dealing with rare Tauroses. I actually use it as an anti-Slowbro. I just can't think of anything it can hit with Night Shade or Psychic. Gengar is slow and fragile, I really only use to Thunderbolt Slowbro and switch in on predicted Explo/Self-Des/Hyper and as a Hypnotiser in desparate situations.
B)I need that Amnesia to be able to take hits from Slowbro. Snorlax is bulky, I try to avoid Self-Destructing it for as long as possible. I sometimes feel like I need Earthquake, but, for some reason, whenever I put it on Snorlax, it just sits there unused. I mean, it only hits opponent's Gengar, I can do that with Mew.
C)Maybe... The reason I ditched it is that I always hope for Freeze. And in stall wars me being paralysed helps to spend less PP per turn. But, yeah, I often got caught by an unfortunate "is fully paralysed", and than next turn was guaranteed to move last, couldn't heal and lost the battle. Once their move missed (you know that 1/255 chance), but I was fully paralysed again :D
D)Boosted Explosion on Mew OHKOs pretty much everything that's not Gengar. It's a bad trade, but, just like you said, the team is weak to Slowbro, and I better leave my Mewtwo to deal with Mewtwo or Chansey than do a long stall war with 'bro and than die to opponent's Mewtwo. Also, in Mew vs Mewtwo scenario, Mew can't take many hits from boosted Mewtwo. You need to act quickly. Mewtwo can recover, you're not KOing it with 3 boosted Body Slams.
E)I actually plan to figure out some physical set for Mewtwo. Maybe even my favorite Self-Destruct :D Cos I can no longer outstall sh*t, now I'm gonna wait until they're low HP, and KABOOM!!!

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll try to try them... next year? June 2024 is when the next Uber ladder opens. Maybe try to make a version of this team for OU (oh, deargod, what am I supposed to replace Mewtwo with? Slowbro? And Mew with Tauros?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)