rain dance in the 5 gen

Want to say this one thing: BUCroak >> SDCroak
BUCroak is such win in rain
Its defenses really made me doubt it at first but man...

Just a quick note: Swift Swim Kingdra, Kabutops, and Ludicolo cannot be on the same team legally with Drizzle Politoed. I know it's still possible to use Rain Dance normally, but include something in the description.

Is a Rain team consisting only of water pokes competitively viable in any tier of battling?

Just bringing this up because it would be a pretty cool gimmick.

then again. grass knot says hi.

if you want a thundurus counter on a mono water team, please use LANTURN. it takes like 20 bp from grass knot.

There needs to be a mono-type tier.

Anyhoo, I'm unfamiliar with the B/W OU scene, so how does Rain fare against the prevalence of other weather teams?

What's so great about Volt Absorb anyway? I don't think Rainstall exists.

Love your siggy anyway.
lol What does Volt Absorb have to do with Rainstall? It's a pretty good ability, and it makes Thundurus sad.

But it is outclassed by Levitate, really, which is the main point.

And I'm going to go ahead and say that rain is most likely the best/strongest weather over both SS and Sun.

lol What does Volt Absorb have to do with Rainstall? It's a pretty good ability, and it makes Thundurus sad.

But it is outclassed by Levitate, really, which is the main point.

And I'm going to go ahead and say that rain is most likely the best/strongest weather over both SS and Sun.
What does levitate have to do with volt absorb, lanturn doesn't get levitate...

Anyways, Rain Stall actually does exist, however rare it may be. There are a bunch of cool abusers to use, such as Dry Skin Parasect and Rain Dish Tentacruel. Too bad Politoed isn't that great defensively otherwise I feel that it would be much more seen. There are so many good abusers even without SwiftSwimmers such as Scizor, Thundurus, Dragonite, Gyarados, and others that it seems wasteful to forego the powerful benefits of rain. But that doesn't make rain stall unviable and I really want to try it out if I ever get the time to ladder.

What does levitate have to do with volt absorb, lanturn doesn't get levitate...

Anyways, Rain Stall actually does exist, however rare it may be. There are a bunch of cool abusers to use, such as Dry Skin Parasect and Rain Dish Tentacruel. Too bad Politoed isn't that great defensively otherwise I feel that it would be much more seen. There are so many good abusers even without SwiftSwimmers such as Scizor, Thundurus, Dragonite, Gyarados, and others that it seems wasteful to forego the powerful benefits of rain. But that doesn't make rain stall unviable and I really want to try it out if I ever get the time to ladder.
We were comparing Lanturn with Rotom-W; Rotom-W has Levitate, no? Derp.

Rain Stall:
1: Toed/Ferro/Cruel
2: any 2 of Dragonite/Chansey/Quagsire/Ludicolo/Parasect/Blastoise/Pelipper/Tornadus/Shelgon for phys/spec walling and/or shuffling while taking advantage of rain
3: Dusclops/Jellicent to spinblock

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lanturn also has no offensive potential whatsoever. I can assure you as soon as those gayass NP+Thunder+FB+GK Lum Thundurus are gone. You'll see virtually no Lanturn usage. The only other pokemon in could concievably wall are Starmie and Rotom-W, but it really can't do much in return to Rotom-W. Plus, Lanturn has no form of recovery. I find a Heal Bell version of Lanturn pretty helpful for checking rain however. Its just that Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon do so much of a better job at checking rain bar Thundurus that you really can't justify a teamslot for Lanturn.

We were comparing Lanturn with Rotom-W; Rotom-W has Levitate, no? Derp.
Oh, I thought we were comparing the better Thundurus counter/check and seeing how Thundurus usually does not carry ground moves I was a little confused. No need to be an asshole about it. And I don't really see how Levitate>Volt Absorb, but whatever.

Contributing to the topic, how are rain dance teams with damp rock? I've never seen one used, but it seems interesting to take advantage of all the great SwSw pokes. I guess the obvious downside is the ubiquitous use of enemy weather and that you need multiple pokes to set rain up, but you can occaisonally use an opposing Politoed to your advantage.

Oh, I thought we were comparing the better Thundurus counter/check and seeing how Thundurus usually does not carry ground moves I was a little confused. No need to be an asshole about it. And I don't really see how Levitate>Volt Absorb, but whatever.

Contributing to the topic, how are rain dance teams with damp rock? I've never seen one used, but it seems interesting to take advantage of all the great SwSw pokes. I guess the obvious downside is the ubiquitous use of enemy weather and that you need multiple pokes to set rain up, but you can occaisonally use an opposing Politoed to your advantage.
You were sassy to me first - just responding to your tone.

I think we see a lot more EQ than Electric type moves, especially against a bulky Pokémon that takes neutral damage from Electric moves anyway. I think immunity to a very common super effective move is better than Volt Absorb, but that's not to say Volt Absorb isn't a great ability, too.

You were sassy to me first - just responding to your tone.

I think we see a lot more EQ than Electric type moves, especially against a bulky Pokémon that takes neutral damage from Electric moves anyway. I think immunity to a very common super effective move is better than Volt Absorb, but that's not to say Volt Absorb isn't a great ability, too.
I apologize if I came off that way, as that was not my intention. While you are probably right that ground type moves are more common then electric ones, I don't think there is any point to compare abilities that serve 2 different roles. But then again, the point is moot because nobody with Volt Absorb can also have Levitate.

I apologize if I came off that way, as that was not my intention. While you are probably right that ground type moves are more common then electric ones, I don't think there is any point to compare abilities that serve 2 different roles. But then again, the point is moot because nobody with Volt Absorb can also have Levitate.
I'm sorry too then :)

But really, both moves grant an immunity, not really THAT different.

And the point isn't moot when we're comparing Rotom-W and Lanturn. Levitate is a reason (in my opinion at least) to use Rotom over Lanturn as well.

I'm sorry too then :)

But really, both moves grant an immunity, not really THAT different.

And the point isn't moot when we're comparing Rotom-W and Lanturn. Levitate is a reason (in my opinion at least) to use Rotom over Lanturn as well.
Well, there are such side effects such as Levitate avoids Spikes and TSpikes while Volt Absorbs restores HP. What I'm saying is that abilities are difficult to rank because while some are clearly better than others (ie Magic Guard vs. Stall), but otherwise it's hard to define what makes a certain ability better than another. It pretty much comes down to personal opinion. But then again that's just me.

Well, I guess that could be a reason to use Rotom-W over Lanturn, but to be honest Lanturn's defenses are poor compared to Rotom-W and can't do much but check Thundurus and Rotom W (although Rotom-W's have been running more HP Grass lately). It's a real shame too, since I love Lanturn's design and I wish that it had gotten better stats. So I guess I could see why you could use abilities for choosing a poke over the other, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference unless it's like Slaking or Regigigas, at least for me. IMO I think that stats/typing make the Pokemon rather than their typing except in extreme cases.

Well, there are such side effects such as Levitate avoids Spikes and TSpikes while Volt Absorbs restores HP. What I'm saying is that abilities are difficult to rank because while some are clearly better than others (ie Magic Guard vs. Stall), but otherwise it's hard to define what makes a certain ability better than another. It pretty much comes down to personal opinion. But then again that's just me.

Well, I guess that could be a reason to use Rotom-W over Lanturn, but to be honest Lanturn's defenses are poor compared to Rotom-W and can't do much but check Thundurus and Rotom W (although Rotom-W's have been running more HP Grass lately). It's a real shame too, since I love Lanturn's design and I wish that it had gotten better stats. So I guess I could see why you could use abilities for choosing a poke over the other, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference unless it's like Slaking or Regigigas, at least for me. IMO I think that stats/typing make the Pokemon rather than their typing except in extreme cases.
Well of course, but all I'm saying is i think the ability is better too because that's what we were talking about; it was brought up that someone said Volt Absorb is a reason to use Lanturn instead. I said Levitate was better. It's an additional reason. Everything you think I'm saying, I'm not, really.

Literally ALL I said was I think Rotom has a better ability than Lanturn. That's all.

Dunno why you're reading into it so much.

Well of course, but all I'm saying is i think the ability is better too because that's what we were talking about; it was brought up that someone said Volt Absorb is a reason to use Lanturn instead. I said Levitate was better. It's an additional reason. Everything you think I'm saying, I'm not, really.

Literally ALL I said was I think Rotom has a better ability than Lanturn. That's all.

Dunno why you're reading into it so much.
The guy who brought Volt Absorb vs. Levitate was just saying what Lanturn has that Rotom W doesn't, not that Lanturn is better because Volt Absorb is better then Levitate. I guess I just wasn't clear on the point you were trying to make. But I'm probably just reading into it too much, so I'm going to move on.

The more I've thought about it, this actually seems to be an interesting team idea. The thing is, what Pokemon would be good at setting up Rain Dance?

I love rain dance.
Also i think Azumarill and Tornadus belong in the offensive threats.
Since Azumarill's Aqua Jet is pretty powerful when rain boosted and Tornadus gets a 100% accuracy on Hurricane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)