Gen 4 Qwilfish Offense - Gen 4 Anything Goes (#1 on ladder 3-1 tournament record)

QWILFISH OFFENSE
1591287389016.png
1591287401407.png
1591287415705.png
1591287433671.png
1591287462508.png
1591287469713.png

When Gen 4 Anything goes was announced as a ruins of alph Spotlight ladder I got pretty excited, Me and my friend Zayele started working on teams right away and I entered the spotlight tour too and due to failures in other recent tours I put all my effort in to the gen 4 tour and ended up going 3-1 throughout the round robin tour. I also started laddering gen 4 and although I got off to a rough start with the meta once I started using this team on ladder I started doing much better on ladder and eventually peaked ladder more than once and although my gxe was bad during this peak I eventually increased it to 88%.

Capture.PNG

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

1591287389016.png
1591287401407.png

I started with deoxys speed and kyogre because I wanted to build a rain offense with deoxys providing spikes and stealth rocks and kyogre breaking walls with ease using specs water spouts and proving the rest of the team with rain support.

1591287389016.png
1591287401407.png
1591287415705.png

I then added qwilfish as a tspikes setter and fast utility with access to taunt and destiny bond.

1591287389016.png
1591287401407.png
1591287415705.png
1591287433671.png

I added arceus ghost as a spin blocker and a calm mind special attacking sweeper

1591287389016.png
1591287401407.png
1591287415705.png
1591287433671.png
1591287462508.png

I added lum berry ekiller as both a darkrai answer and as a cleaner to finish weakened teams

1591287389016.png
1591287401407.png
1591287415705.png
1591287433671.png
1591287462508.png
1591287469713.png

Finally I finished off the team with arceus steel as a calm mind sweeper and a darkrai answer

THE TEAM
1591287389016.png

Deoxys-Speed @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Superpower

Deoyxs-Speed is one of the best leads in the DPP Anything Goes metagame. With only a few losing lead matchups Deoxys is almost always able to at least get up stealth rocks. Deoxys has enough defense that it can also usually manage to get up a layer of spikes along with a layer of stealth rocks. Taunt Allows Deoxys to prevent opposing leads from setting up their own hazard, it also prevents lead offensive sweepers such as ekiller from setting up a swords dance turn 1. Lum berry and superpower both have a purpose in beating lead darkrai especially scarf Darkrai, lum berry will prevent deoxys from falling asleep and super power will deal about 90% to Darkrai which is enough for ekiller to take it out with ease. Lum berry is also useful for setting up hazards against teams with thunder wave stealth rocks setters such as Dialga and Groudon and gives it a one time immunity to toxic spikes.

1591287401407.png

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Specs Kyogre is the most powerful wallbreaker in the entire game, not even defensive resists want to switch in to a specs rain boosted 150 base power stab move from a pokemon with a 150 base special attack. Water Spout is by far the most powerful move in the game and there is no reason to not use it on this set, however because water spout's damage is based on the amount of remaining hp kyogre also has to run surf which is still a very powerful move when boosted by rain and choice specs. Ice beam allows kyogre to beat kyogre checks such as arceus-grass, palkia, and latios killing all of them in 2 hits after stealth rocks. Thunder allows Kyogre to beat other Kyogres and Water Types, Rain boosting its accuracy also allows it to help beat evasion users which is nice against baton pass teams. Drizzle also provides the team with rain support which is best utilized by arceus steel for resisting fire moves like Ho-oh Sacred fire, rain also helps Swift Swim Qwilfish outspeed the vast majority of the metagame.
1591287415705.png

Qwilfish @ Splash Plate
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Destiny Bond

Qwilfish quickly became the mascot of this team, it seems unconventional but it puts in so much work in every game that it ended up surprising people. With a blistering 590 speed in rain it is basically guaranteed to set up toxic spikes before being killed, I usually only set up one layer to tspikes when I am fighting other offense teams but when I am fighting bulkier teams I will try to set up two layers, this is because it takes 3 turns for toxic damage to equal normal poison damage so against frailer offense teams it makes more sense to try and go for the 24% in 2 turns rather than the 18%. Taunt gives Qwilfish a bunch of its utility, being able to basically shut down any passive mon and set up tspikes on then helps a lot against stall teams and balance teams. Although Qwilfish only has a base attack stat of 95, with rain and splash plate boosting it Qwilfish can deal massive damage to almost everything such as being able to deal 72-84% to Darkrai and 42-50% against calm mind Arceus. Destiny bond is spammable in generation 4 so having an incredibly fast destiny bond user also allows qwilfish to take out huge threats that would otherwise mow through the team.

1591287433671.png

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Focus Blast
- Recover

I mainly added Arceus-Ghost as a rapid spin blocker, but Arceus-Ghost also acts as an incredible special attacking sweeper. Ghost + Fighting coverage in incredibly good and allows arceus ghost to hit everything for at least neutral damage. Arceus ghost can kill every pokemon in the tier in 2 hits with 2 calm mind boosts and stealth rocks. Arceus-Ghost is the team's main ekiller check, it is able to survive a +2 shadow claw and 2hko with focus blast or ohko after 1 calm mind with rocks up. Recover allows Arceus Ghost to beat other calm mind sweepers such as the latis and other calm mind arceus.
1591287462508.png

Arceus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw

Normal Arceus is probably the best pokemon in the entire metagame, with very few checks Extreme Speed Arceus can kill sweep through many teams with ease. Swords dance gives arceus a +2 attack boost which boosts its attack to incredible levels, extreme speed is almost always able to go first. With the combination of swords dance and extreme speed arceus becomes almost unstoppable, being able to always go first and always deal a huge amount of damage. Shadow Claw gives arceus the ability to beat ghost types such as giratina and arceus-ghost. Earthquake allows Arceus to beat steel types such as Dialga and Arceus-Steel. Lum berry allows arceus to beat darkrai by setting up a swords dance and then killing it with extreme speed. Other than skarmory there are really no reliable checks to arceus so ekiller really puts in a ton of work in every game.

1591287469713.png

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover

Arceus-Steel was mainly added to the team as an in case of emergency darkrai check, Roar allows arceus steel to roar away darkrai if it gets too difficult to beat for the rest of the team. But Arceus-Steel ended up being so much more than a darkrai check. Calm Mind + Roar allows arceus steel to win all calm mind wars, making it a very good check for calm mind arc forms and the lati twins, and all though most of the metagame resist steel type moves Arceus-Steel's judgement still deals massive damage to threats such as skarmory and dialga. Roar is also very good with the hazard stack on this team, roar can deal 16% to anything coming in with one layer of stealth rocks and spikes as well as spreading the poison from qwilfish's toxic spikes.

Threats

1591310061541.png

Arceus Normal is the biggest threat to this team, I have lost to many players who just spammed Ekiller. Arceus Ghost is the team's main ekiller check but after all 8 focus blasts are used the team really has no way to deal with it.

Replays
Banana Ben (Tournament Match)
Velvet Blood (Tournament Match)
Stareal (Tournament Match)
Elite 4 Timmy
GerradJG
Frogger
Trivia Room
J1mm1P 13
Reffrey
Lance (Using 6 Ekillers)

Shoutouts

Zayele - I actually first met zayele in a ruins of alph gen 4 anything goes tour, I first started talking to her more often because she asked for someone to play gen 4 ag with her and I started play gen 4 ag with her quite a lot. She helped me a lot with testing for this tour and with building this team, it was her suggestion to run lum berry on arceus over life orb and run destiny bond on qwilfish over explosion.

Arifgoku - Arifgoku was always willing to help me test my gen 4 teams and would constantly challenge me to gen 4 game and if I ever asked for someone to play gen 4 ag in chat arif would always be the first to respond.

Kaitlyn - As much as you constantly harass me in ag chat I know you don't mean any of it and that we are great friends

Stall2win - Your twitch streams have been a fun place to hang out in and I really hope you future success in anything goes

Conclusion

I really ended up falling in love with this meta game after building this team, I don't think I have ever built a team that has fit my playstyle more perfectly and is as much fun to use as this one. I really hope I get to play this meta more in the future and I hope that other people can have fun using this team too

Importable

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)