Quagsire

cheru

formerly romanji
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:sv/quagsire:

Base Stats: 95 HP / 85 Atk / 85 Def / 65 SAtk / 65 SDef / 35 Spe (430 total)
Abilities: Damp / Water Absorb / Unaware

Notable Moves (new in bold)
Chilling Water

Earthquake
Haze
Recover
Spikes
Stealth Rock

Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Yawn

Moves Lost
Scald

Pros:
- After many generations, Quagsire finally has access to Stealth Rock, but not only that, it gets a 2 for 1 deal with Spikes included.
- Water Absorb lets it take on rain teams very well.
- It is one of the few Pokemon to retain Toxic before Pokemon home is released.
- Unaware can also be useful against Dragon Dance Salamence in a pinch.

Cons:
- 4x Grass Weakness leaves it susceptible to Grass-type coverage such as Tera Blast and Trailblaze
- If not running Water Absorb, many Water-types like Azumarill can overwhelm it greatly.
- Suffers competition with Gastrodon due to it sharing the same type, while also being able to run specially defensive and mixed spreads better. It’s higher Special Attack lets it run Ice Beam for Dragon-types and Sludge Bomb for Grass-types and Hatterene to be a better hazard setter.

Terastalization potential

With Tera Steel, Quagsire completely walls all variants of Azumarill (unless you’re crazy enough to use Choice Band Superpower) while giving it crucial resistances to Grass, Fairy, and Dragon.

Potential Moveset
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb / Unaware
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

With newfound access to entry hazards, Quagsire becomes a fantastic role compressor in SV UU. Earthquake is for consistent damage. Toxic lets it wear down set up sweepers well, while even letting itself wear down the broken Espathra in a pinch. Recover, even with it being nerfed, is still amazing for giving it the resilience throughout a battle.

Last edited:
It’s the boy! Looks like someone beat me to getting to him. I just have a question about the set, why toxic over yawn? Yawn can Give you a free turn to set whatever hazard you have, which is even more important when it comes to spikes, but it’s still useful with stealth rocks.

Quagsire really stands out as the only Unaware user in the tier. Its good bulk let's go head to head to some major threats such as Tyrannitar, Lucario and Tinkaton. Another bonus is that it retains Toxic so it will beat many other walls when it comes to stalling. I don't think it's worth it running entry hazards on Quagsire, I like using it as a Unaware wall. While it does have good physical bulk, due to power creep sometimes its not enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)