Project PU Player of the Week 10: Megazard

Approved by galbia
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who took it from Lord Alphose and xzern in NU
Past Players of the Week: : Magnemite, galbia, gasquakee, scorpdestroyer, Simipour, Anty, Raiza, 2xTheTap, TONE114

Welcome back to this weeks PU Player of the Week with your new host HJAD. This weekly thread hopes to capitalize and promote good players in the tier, while helping newer players by giving advice and showing effective strategies in the metagame. And this weeks player of the week is the one and only Megazard !

Most Known For: PU Council
Favorite Pokemon: Ludicolo
Most Used Pokemon: no clue maybe grumpig or probopass​

Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of PS?
I'm a junior in High School, I play chess and mons and that's pretty much most of my life, I don't have a sport or anything. I'm incredibly boring. I have a stunning YT channel though.

Where did you get your name from?
Megazard Z was just like, an alt that I used a lot that people started knowing me by. Eventually I switched to make that my main and dropped the Z since it sucked. It sort of happened on a whim.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I found PS! off of some Youtube video and began as that scrub who hangs around and is challenged by the Tournaments room, and I basically slowly got good. Since I was still kinda young when I first started, reading the smogdex was kind of a hobby and I can still remember what pretty much everything runs, so I'd bounce around tiers playing games and trying things until I learned how to get good.

How does it feel to be a member of the PU Council and Moderation team?
It's nice to be able to get stuff done, the lack of interest in C&C is a pain sometimes but it's generally cool.

How would you compare the current metagame to past ones? e.g XY PU
This meta is far worse, I preferred stuff we banned more clearly like Kecleon, Garbodor, etc to Eggy and Vigoroth right now. If they get banned and we get drops I'll be happy, but there's very little enjoyment for building in this meta. I can't be interested to make new things, try in seasonal, it's just really a boring meta. I want to see more innovation, the reason people say 90% of the teams are Dundies' is because nobody is building in a different way, which only makes the problem of certain Pokemon auto-winning even worse.

What kind of impact do you think Exeggutor / Vigoroth would have if they left the tier? Would anything (or playstyle even) surge in usage with either gone?
I think it'd free up so many new teams without having to handle two massive threats, it'll be sad to not just win so much with Simisear+Regice but without needing multiple checks to two Pokemon when you already have to handle so much, everything will get better. Also Floatzel's gonna get even more disgusting.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Offense hasn't been held back by being stuck with switching into everything at once since you can auto-check so much in PU. Outside of it it's simply the most flexible and easy to pick up and play without needing the most expertise.

Who do you think will win the PU Seasonal?
Galbia ?_? is this a trick question or what?

If you could make one change to the tier (can be anything), what would it be?
I'd get some more Water checks. Drop Cryo, Muk, Torterra, Poliwrath, and Mantine. Much better. Would love Aurorus too although it doesn't quite fit into a Water check.

Do you have any advice for newer players in the tier?

Innovation is not picking up a mon that's garbage for a reason, it's using a mon that could actually have a niche or a new set that should work. Running new stuff for the sake of new isn't making you endearing or a great rebel versus the Overused overlords.

Can you provide a team that reflects you as a player, as well as the current metagame?
http://pastebin.com/NHKyZ2pG
Here BreloomMyHomie you need more Simisage. This is probably the one team I built for this meta I liked, it's great versus the "standard Dundies" playstyle and generally carries offensive checks to most of the stuff in the tier while wearing things down with Simisage+Altaria. It also has Gabite which people should be using more once Eggy's gone.

Thanks again Megazard for your insight on this tier, we really appreciate it!
and to everyone reading this today, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited:
Thoughts on Synchronize Alakazam in AAA?

I also fixed the slightly bigger than normal font size in the op because it was triggering me

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thoughts on Synchronize Alakazam in AAA?

I also fixed the slightly bigger than normal font size in the op because it was triggering me
A/5 redefines quality
Thoughts on Magnemite?
Favorite TV show?
Was Twix better than HJAD?
Life goals?
Favorite PU OM?
josefina 96
Leverage. It's this random thing I found on netflix that never got overly popular but had 5 seasons, yet it's enjoyable every single episode and tends to be pretty clever.
Yes.
To live. idk I don't have goals, living is enough.
PU AAA but rly they all suck
Yes

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thoughts on Monferno
Favorite Type of Music
Any potential regular users catching your eye as good players?
If a Waffle and a Pancake got into a fight which would win?

Popo?
Is being a nerd conducive for a healthy life?
thoughts on how a potential cryo drop might effect the meta?
drake or tory lanez?
who types better, me or a potato?

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thoughts on Monferno
Favorite Type of Music
Any potential regular users catching your eye as good players?
If a Waffle and a Pancake got into a fight which would win?
Instrumental
Nobody's had a convincing showing as yet due to the clusterfuck that is the seasonal really but there's a few who could potentially turn out pretty good like POPO
wow way to ignore the question about me :(
...I please the fifth mag edit: PLEASE the fifth???
Popo?
Is being a nerd conducive for a healthy life?
thoughts on how a potential cryo drop might effect the meta?
drake or tory lanez?
who types better, me or a potato?
Yes
Yes
Setback for hazardstack and special float and the electrics while being a freeze dry attacker? Sign me up
who and who?
potato
I seriously thought you were like 21 :o

also play me on Chess.com (PM me)
Nope!
Maybe but let's use a good website instead

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
if you had to recommend a single album, which one would it be?
what books have you enjoyed recently?
do you speak any languages other than english?
wanna buy me some ice cream?
if i told you, that i can make you be happy forever, would you leave the planet with me?

MZ

if you had to recommend a single album, which one would it be?
what books have you enjoyed recently?
do you speak any languages other than english?
wanna buy me some ice cream?
if i told you, that i can make you be happy forever, would you leave the planet with me?
I don't listen to albums
Where Men Win Glory is another Krakauer nonfiction hit that's a little old and dated now but very enjoyable about Pat Tillman
Estoy estudiando español en mi escuela pero no puedo hablar con fluidez ahora y mi maestra es tan horible
Yes
No, I'd probably get carsick in space

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
How do you feel about Stunfisk after the suspects, do you think Golem can still be a better pick most of the time?
Thoughts on stall? Some decent stall teams got built even before the suspect, so do you think stall can be considered at least borderline viable now?

MZ

who is your favorite user and why is it Jetpack
My favorite user is Gasquakee stfu
How do you feel about Stunfisk after the suspects, do you think Golem can still be a better pick most of the time?
Thoughts on stall? Some decent stall teams got built even before the suspect, so do you think stall can be considered at least borderline viable now?
Stunfisk is still solid, I don't think Golem is the superior pick to the degree that people say it is. Like the main reason this started imo is Ryan's post, but while it's true Fisk can be a bit passive and allow Rotom/Roselia/etc in Golem can lose to those too and it puts you weaker versus Elecs and Waters. Passho is a huge part of fisk since it's an SR user that doesn't just immediately die to waters, your only other options being passho probo (same issue), clef (mediocre for other reasons), pawn (a bit unreliable and lacks stunfisk's defensive capabilities) and Metang (handles and loses to different things that you might not want it to and not quite a water resist). Fisk still has a solid place in the meta.
Stall is lame, you can play around it more effectively but I want to see more successful teams. To be honest I don't find tubular bells particularly great since the stuff it'll "just lose" to is too common and it's over reliant on stunfisk para's. I think it's going to improve but still be in the auto lose to stuff so better pray stage.

MZ

Least favorite mon in the tier (not including slaking)?
to use or to fight?
I hate using Gorebyss, I've like never had it do work ever and Huntail is a god. I hate fighting against Wigglytuff, it's fucking stupid every time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)