Project PU: Buried Treasure Project V2 [Week 25: Gourgeist-S, Gabite, Wailord]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Marowak and Bastiodon are Pokemon I and many others actually used frequently in earlier meta's so I don't think there is much to argue about what the most effective sets are.

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head / Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Double-Edge / Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Pretty much just a wallbreaker that sets up Stealth Rock, fits pretty well on Sticky Web as an abuser that also provides rocks. It has falled out of favor because of a decline in fat builds and because you could also just use a faster wallbreaker such as Ninetales or Simipour that is not deadweight against offense. Marowak is probably a little better since its drop in popularity because fat builds have gotten more common since then, but most people (including me) would stil rather use a Ground-type that offers some defensive presence as well or a faster wallbreaker to be less matchup dependant.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar
- Magic Coat

There is absolutely no legitimate reason to use this passive ass Pokemon over Probopass. It had some use in the past as a complete stop to most Chatot's with Soundproof but even that is worth nothing now. The only thing this has that Probopass does not is Roar, which is a pretty bad niche considering that Probopass has Volt Switch to pivot out of the Pokemon that Bastiodon would phaze out. If you really want to use this trashmon use it with entry hazard stacking.

Cherrim @ Life Orb
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Healing Wish

This Pokemon is really bad but has Healing Wish, only use if you can't afford Mime but need Healing Wish (aka never xd).

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Cherrim @ Heat Rock
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Healing Wish

I give up. This is probably one of the best things it can do. The main niche of this thing would be Healing Wish...so it would play out like: Sunny Day turn 1, Healing Wish to competent sun sweeper turn 2. The ability also gives a sp. d boost, so you have a bit more bulk to die on your own terms.

Alternatively, you can do:
Cherrim @ Heat Rock
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Petal Blizzard
- Return
- Healing Wish

Thanks to the ability, Cherrim actually has higher Attack in the sun. Base 85 speed isn't a total loss either, so you could possibly weaken the switch-in to better help Leafeon and Sawsbuck sweep. As I imagine that those 3 have similar switch-ins, anyway...

So, I think Cherrim is a cool lategame sun setter that can set up sun then give the clutch Healing Wish to one of your good sun sweepers and still maximize sun turns in the process. But as I always say: if the mon's best aspect is dying really well, it's probably garbage anyway.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This interval, our three Pokemon are:
Beheeyem | Murkrow | Electrode

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave / Taunt

Tbh I don't think Murkrow is that great of a Pokemon but I tried it and it didn't do too bad overall especially against offense. This set is the most popular and effective set Murkrow can run. I also tried a more support-bulky focused set in FU but I don't think it can perform as well in PU because it can't realistically switch into anything and faces competition by Vullaby so I think this set is the way to go. It basically takes advantage of Murkrow's access to Prankster and Sucker Punch to make it a decent revengekiller of a sort and a threat to offensive teams if it ables to paralyse the opponent without perishing. Problem is, both Sucker Punch and Thunder Wave are kind of shaky ways to revenge kill a target as they can both be underwhelming at times, but if Murkrows is able to make a right use of them, they can provide an high reward, otherwise, it just dies. This can't really switch into anything so it's restricted to revengekilling or breaking through balanced builds thanks to a decent offensive movepool (Taunt is nice too in this regard). I think it is clear that you can't run Murkrow on purely defensive teams, especially if using this set, so I think hyper or bulky offense are the best playstyles where this can be ran. Possible teammates I thought about can be some that provide entry hazard control, as Murkrow is really easy to wear down already because of Life Orb + Brave Bird recoils, so Stealth Rock hinders it even more. Pokemon that provide slow VoltTurn such as Pelipper and Probopass are also good as they provide a safe switchin to Murkrow, while entry hazards setters by yourself can also be decent to wear down foes and let Murkrow score some KOs or just rack up residual damage as Murkrow is also decent a forcing switches.

Electrode @ Damp Rock
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Taunt
- Explosion / Volt Switch

Rain Lead Electrode is Electrode's only set that is not outclassed and that I would be used. Being the fastest rain lead, Electrode can both get rain on almost certainly. Electrode also has access to Taunt, an invaluable move for a lead which lets is shut down many leads and also opposing weather setters such as Onix. Explosion is a good move to make sure that your weather sweeper comes in intact, but it does mean that Electrode is a one time Rain Setter. This set works very well, although it does have competition with Relicanth because it can set up rain and rocks.

Electrode @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Choice Scarf shouldn't be used because it is already one of the fastest Pokemon in PU. On to Specs. At a glance, it seems pretty good. Yet it is completely outclassed by other Electric-types. Electrode has underwhelming Special Attack and it's movepool is so barren that it can barely use the little Special Attack Specs give it. Although Zebstrika has identical Special Attack to Electrode, it has better coverage and has a useful ability.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave / Taunt

Tbh I don't think Murkrow is that great of a Pokemon but I tried it and it didn't do too bad overall especially against offense. This set is the most popular and effective set Murkrow can run. I also tried a more support-bulky focused set in FU but I don't think it can perform as well in PU because it can't realistically switch into anything and faces competition by Vullaby so I think this set is the way to go. It basically takes advantage of Murkrow's access to Prankster and Sucker Punch to make it a decent revengekiller of a sort and a threat to offensive teams if it ables to paralyse the opponent without perishing. Problem is, both Sucker Punch and Thunder Wave are kind of shaky ways to revenge kill a target as they can both be underwhelming at times, but if Murkrows is able to make a right use of them, they can provide an high reward, otherwise, it just dies. This can't really switch into anything so it's restricted to revengekilling or breaking through balanced builds thanks to a decent offensive movepool (Taunt is nice too in this regard). I think it is clear that you can't run Murkrow on purely defensive teams, especially if using this set, so I think hyper or bulky offense are the best playstyles where this can be ran. Possible teammates I thought about can be some that provide entry hazard control, as Murkrow is really easy to wear down already because of Life Orb + Brave Bird recoils, so Stealth Rock hinders it even more. Pokemon that provide slow VoltTurn such as Pelipper and Probopass are also good as they provide a safe switchin to Murkrow, while entry hazards setters by yourself can also be decent to wear down foes and let Murkrow score some KOs or just rack up residual damage as Murkrow is also decent a forcing switches.
I couldn't really say it any better, and of course credit to Raiza for the quote.

Beheeyem @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ground
- Thunderbolt

The real only difference is Thunderbolt. Tell me if I am wrong, but it doesn't ever mention Thunderbolt in the common sets. What makes Thunderbolt so good? Not only does it manage to damage Pelipper for a lot, it also does a ton of damage on Vullaby, Beheeyem's biggest threat for it's original set. It is just another option instead of Trick or Psyshock or something like that.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Substitute / Thunder Wave / Taunt

This isn't Murkrow's greatest set, but it at least deserves a mention. Murkrow has somewhat decent bulk when it's fully invested in HP and Defense along with Eviolite, and thanks to Prankster, it can use priority Calm Mind, Roost, Substitute, Taunt, or even Thunder Wave. The point of this set is to sweep late game by abusing Calm Mind and Roost along with Prankster after all of Murkrow's checks are removed. Since this is a mono-attacking set, Pokemon that can take on Dark, Fairy, and Fighting-types well, such as Machoke, Arbok, and Pelipper, respectively, are good partners for Murkrow, as well as Dark-type lures such as Colbur Berry Grumpig and Colbur Berry Dusknoir. This set fits best on bulkier teams, mainly balance, as it requires defensive support to take on its offensive checks as well as stronger offensive teammates to take on its defensive checks.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Beheeyem has two usable sets in my mind:

Specs Beheeyem

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
- Trick

The 44 Speed EVs here are optional, but they let you outrun Machoke and OHKO. Running a small amount of Speed doesn't limit Beheeyem's effectiveness with Analytic, given Beheeyem is slow even with 44 Spe EVs. Analytic will also still activate when the opposing Pokemon switches out anyway.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Beheeyem Psychic vs. 160 HP / 44 SpD Eviolite Machoke: 444-524 (130.2 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OTR Beheeyem

Beheeyem @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt

^Pretty underrated in my opinion. Offensive Trick Room deserves a mention, as this thing has the ability to "outspeed" and OHKO/2HKO a large portion of the meta once Trick Room is up. Beheeyem's coverage is good enough that its normal checks won't enjoy switching in, especially considering that Analytic will be activated as they switch. With Analytic deterring switches (to avoid taking an extra 30% damage), your opponent will probably sacrifice something to this and allow you to open up a hole in the other team.

There are really 3 Murkrow sets, and with a few changes with regard to their EV spreads/movesets, they're more or less usable that way in PU, too. Reposting them from this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/fu-resource-thread.3542805/
Murkrow @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play / Pursuit
- Taunt / Thunder Wave / Tailwind / Roost

Murkrow @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Murkrow @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave / Feather Dance
- Roost

Last edited:

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Carbink | Butterfree | Lumineon

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to drop some knowledge on y'all about my buddy ROCK WITH EYES.

Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast

This set, commonly named Crobink centralizes on Carbink relying on its large defenses to boost up its Special Attack and Special Defense stats via Calm Mind, then recovering health and removing status with Rest. Moonblast is the main option for a move, as it is Carbink's strongest STAB, although something like Power Gem could work instead. This set faces competition from Clefairy, which can recover only by using Softboiled and not having to rely on Sleep Talk rolls, as well as offering another moveslot for something such as Thunder Wave or Flamethrower. Some common threats to this set include Probopass, Klang, Taunt, and Special Attacking Pokemon who can hit it super-effectively.

Carbink @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

This second set for Carbink utilizes its access to Sunny Day, Explosion, Magic Coat, Stealth Rock, and Sturdy, making it a go to lead Sun setter. This set however, does face a bit of competition from Onix, which is faster and has access to Taunt, Stealth Rock, and Sturdy, although Carbink can take more hits. The objective for this set is to set up Stealth Rocks, then Sunny Day, and then use Explosion to go to a sun sweeper. Magic Coat is to bounce away opposing entry hazards.

Now it's time for the Butterfly.

Butterfree @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Psychic

Butterfree is undoubtedly the best Quiver Dance sweeper in the tier, although it's still not really amazing in any aspects, due to its low defenses and lacking Hurricane. Although Mothim can pass Quiver Dances, Butterfree is the best at utilizing Quiver Dance for itself.

Now time for this fish.

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- U-turn
- Toxic

Lumineon is outclassed by the likes of Pelipper as a Defensive Defogger, although it doesn't have a weakness to Stealth Rock. One of Lumineon's only niches over Pelipper is the ability to switch into Water-type moves such as Scald, without being damaged or having the risk of being burnt.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since this is a discussion thread and the viable sets have been posted i might as well share my opinions on the pokes, they are all mediocre.

CroBink has suffered greatly after the end of xy, when everything started to get offensive as the viability of teams it fit on and worked well against fell. This also means that there is a lot more offensive pressure which makes setting up harder for carbink. More recently roselia has become a lot more common which can probably beat a heavily boosted one by crit stalling with giga drain, and a huge rise for water types really sucks for it. Basically there is a really small reason to use to use it over cm duosion or even clefairy as they can run a coverage move/support move and have a much much better defensive typing. It is also a mediocre sun setter as golem is mostly better, considering how rarely magic coat is used, but then again most weather leads dont end up even setting up rocks + rain, so carbink isnt too outclassed by other sun leads.

Butterfree is another niche sweeper. Fortunately it has Sleep Powder to let it set up, and a strong, almost unresists bug buzz, but that is where the positives stop. 4x weakness to rocks is horrible in this meta, and the other weaknesses its typing brings along really sucks. Even after it has boosted (which is difficult vs offense), it is still easily stopped by priority like mightyena's sucker punch and piloswine's ice shard, scarfers like mime and sawsbuck, and defensive walls like stunfisk. Basically it needs a lot of support but has limited effectiveness :(

In a metagame with a lot of hazards, bad hazard removal, and rock weak defoggers/spinners, lumineon is still mediocre af. Pelipper mostly does its job better due to the access to roost, and the flying typing does give it benefits like fighting resist and grass neutrality, however it does have similar issues to lumineon, like being easily pressured. Lumineon has pretty trash bulk so offensive mons can easily 2HKO it, meaning lumineon will often only get of a defog then die and possibly get of a toxic/charm on things that set up. Despite this, being able to get off a defog is its most important job, and pelipper or even vibrava may not do much more depending on the opponents team, though they still are much better. Lumineons speed is alright but its still outsped by the most common offensive mons. At least it is an alright water check, as although it doesnt do much back to water types, storm drain can stop water move being spammed.

TONE

Vanilluxe | Dusclops | Emolga

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

There is definitely an opening in this meta for this mon imo. Strong special attack an ability to boost its speed is nice, especcially in this offensive metagame, however its main issue is competition with Regice. To compare:
+Has a stronger STAB and coverage vs (relevant) water types
+Has higher speed
- Worse coverage
- Bad bulk
These negatives are enough to justify the use of Regice. It has to chose between freeze dry/hp ground/flash cannon to hit waters, steels, fires, and ice type, where as Regice does it all with thunderbolt and focus blast. Regice's coverage is also mostly much stronger, for example, focus blast has the same bp as hp ground vs fire types. Regice's bulk provides a lot of opportunities to set up, specs Floatzel hydro pump does 40% max to Regice but 80% max to Vanilluxe. Lastly, the extra power on the STAB isn't too noticeable, as Vanilluxe's STAB only does 6% more than Regice's, which isn't much of a price considering the extra coverage and bulk. However, the reason I think Vanilluxe might be too worthless is its Speed. Outpacing almost every choice scarf may not seem like much, but in this metagame often running scarf Sawsbuck/Simipour is enough to check Regice, especcially with Stealth Rock and Life Orb, however only scarf Raichu can outspeed Vanilluxe which isn't great rn. The way to use Vanilluxe would be on a memento pluff HO team with other set up sweepers. Memento can make up for its bad Speed, and other set up sweepers/offensive mons can weaken the opponent for a Vanilluxe sweep. Obviously Vanilluxe isn't perfect as Stealth Rocks and Life Orb recoil severely weaken it down, putting it in range of priorities (its physical defense isn't too much worse than Regice's), however it is still a viable Pokemon.

Another set which could be interesting is 4 attacks one. This would look something like Ice Beam/Freeze Dry/HP Ground/Flash Cannon, or maybe even Signal Beam and Ice Shard, along with Life Orb and Weak Armour. In theory it would take a weaker physical attack, boost its Speed and try to wallbreak, however this is fairly unreliable and Vanilluxe is still walled by most specially bulky Pokemon.

TONE

There is definitely an opening in this meta for this mon imo. Strong special attack an ability to boost its speed is nice, especcially in this offensive metagame, however its main issue is competition with Regice. To compare:
+Has a stronger STAB and coverage vs (relevant) water types
+Has higher speed
- Worse coverage
- Bad bulk
These negatives are enough to justify the use of Regice. It has to chose between freeze dry/hp ground/flash cannon to hit waters, steels, fires, and ice type, where as Regice does it all with thunderbolt and focus blast. Regice's coverage is also mostly much stronger, for example, focus blast has the same bp as hp ground vs fire types. Regice's bulk provides a lot of opportunities to set up, specs Floatzel hydro pump does 40% max to Regice but 80% max to Vanilluxe. Lastly, the extra power on the STAB isn't too noticeable, as Vanilluxe's STAB only does 6% more than Regice's, which isn't much of a price considering the extra coverage and bulk. However, the reason I think Vanilluxe might be too worthless is its Speed. Outpacing almost every choice scarf may not seem like much, but in this metagame often running scarf Sawsbuck/Simipour is enough to check Regice, especcially with Stealth Rock and Life Orb, however only scarf Raichu can outspeed Vanilluxe which isn't great rn. The way to use Vanilluxe would be on a memento pluff HO team with other set up sweepers. Memento can make up for its bad Speed, and other set up sweepers/offensive mons can weaken the opponent for a Vanilluxe sweep. Obviously Vanilluxe isn't perfect as Stealth Rocks and Life Orb recoil severely weaken it down, putting it in range of priorities (its physical defense isn't too much worse than Regice's), however it is still a viable Pokemon.

Another set which could be interesting is 4 attacks one. This would look something like Ice Beam/Freeze Dry/HP Ground/Flash Cannon, or maybe even Signal Beam and Ice Shard, along with Life Orb and Weak Armour. In theory it would take a weaker physical attack, boost its Speed and try to wallbreak, however this is fairly unreliable and Vanilluxe is still walled by most specially bulky Pokemon.
You could also run Explosion on the all-out attacking set to weaken special walls and to bring in a teammate scot free to finish them off.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I don't really like using Emolga, given there's always something better to use (Raichu / Zebstrika / Rotom-F / Electabuzz). But, I've tested Emolga at various points and found that this is the best it can do:

Emolga @
Ability: Motor Drive
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch
- Encore

This set seeks to use Encore in conjunction with Motor Drive, which surprisingly enough, has the potential to force many switches. Presumably, you would switch into a predicted Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, gain the Speed Boost, and then Encore as you're faster after the +1 gained via Motor Drive. Once they realize that they're not going to do anything to Emolga, your opponent will switch out and put themselves into a position of being hit by a STAB Acrobatics that's stronger than Jumpluff's (assuming no SD), having their item removed via Knock Off, or being pivoted on into a Pokemon that will threaten Emolga's switch-in more effectively.

It's not like this scenario will be happening often against a skilled player who reserves Volt Switching / Thunderbolt / coverage moves like Wild Charge or Thunder Punch for after Emolga is gone, but surrounding Emolga with Electric weak Pokemon that are in slower Speed tiers at least gives you an increased chance to force the above scenario (building with offensive Water spam that draws in Electric attacks is what I've tested this Emolga with, and sometimes your opponent has no choice but to Thunderbolt). Encore works against naturally faster mons with Electric type coverage thanks to the +1 to Speed gained via Motor Drive, which is something your opponent will sometimes forget.

Given this Emolga is not carrying an item, you can also switch into Knock Offs in order to preserve something like an Eviolite or Choice Scarf on your team.

It's not the best, and like I said, there is a lot of opportunity cost when using Emolga over a better, more viable Electric type. At the very least though, it checks Simisage, Jumpluff after your Speed Boost, Non-Scarfed Sawsbuck, Roselia, etc.

252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Roselia: 252-296 (83.1 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Simisage: 366-432 (125.7 - 148.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 336-396 (111.6 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Gogoat: 368-434 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(After +1 Spe) 252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jumpluff: 332-392 (114 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Don't use this though, this is just for the purpose of giving this thread an Emolga set, lol. There are much better Pokemon for gaining momentum out there.

Last edited:
Emolga @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Baton Pass
- Encore

Emolga has a ton of support moves buts its fragility and meh attacking stats hold it back by a ton. This is a set back in my old E rank days that i used with some success

The whole point of it is pass any speed boosts you gain from Motor Drive to a sweeper this can work well with wallbreakers and SD/NP set-up sweepers. It has T-Bolt + Air Slash for attacking options and Encore so you can lock pokemon in electric/ground moves lastly Baton Pass for momentum and passing any speed boosts you acquire Substitute, Roost and Taunt are options over your attacking moves.

This set is Emolgas niche and although it can be effective i highly suggest avoiding using Emolga considering all other electric options are much more effective to use in competitive play. Same as 2x i did this simply so Emolga has some purpose on this thread.

TONE

Been dead for like a month now, let's get this back up and running.

Gourgeist-S | Gabite | Wailord

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
Wailord has a lot of sets that are really subpar, given you'll always have something better to choose from in terms of offensive Water types like Floatzel, Basculin, or Simipour, which all outclass any attacking set Wailord could pull off (Floatzel even has access to Water Veil, which takes away that niche as a physical attacker with immunity to Burn from Wailord). But, Wailord does have Pressure, which can let it run a PP stalling set:

Wailord @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Aqua Ring
- Protect
- Scald

There is a lot of discussion in the VR thread about this whether it's E or D rank, some discussion in the QC section of the forums on what it can do (although less in terms of what it can setup on: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/wailord-0-3.3546589/#post-6391297), and some further debate about how viable this set might be in PU overall (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-analyses-discussion-thread.3522568/page-4#post-6370705) if you're interested in some further reading.

Looking at the set itself though, Wailord should run max Special Defense and Defense here, as its HP pool is already massive and its defensive stats are miserably low (i.e. base 45 a piece). The idea of the set is, you setup a Substitute on a threat that can't break past Wailord (or on something that is threatened out by STAB Scald, like Piloswine as its Earthquake does not 2HKO Wailord), use Aqua Ring, and continue to PP Stall with a combination of Pressure and Substitute / Protect as Wailord's hit points are restored via Leftovers and Aqua Ring. Eventually, you'll be able to stall out LO attackers or force Pokemon with super effective coverage on Wailord to use up all of their PP and Struggle. You can see such a game here, where Simipour's PP for Grass Knot reach 0 and it faints due to Struggle recoil: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-257354797.

Other users of Wailord place its remaining 4 EVs in SpA to very slightly boost Scald's damage output, but I've placed its last 4 EVs in Speed instead, as doing so allows Wailord to outspeed both uninvested Tangela and Vullaby by 1 point. This extra point in Speed lets Wailord use Substitute before it is Toxic'd by Vullaby, and it also lets Wailord stall out Tangela's Giga Drain without being hit directly and avoid either Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Tangela and Vullaby both have access to Knock Off coincidentally, so running a bit of Speed to Substitute before your Leftovers are removed is ideal for allowing Wailord to continue PP stalling.

This Wailord is obviously meant for Stall (which is largely considered to be a lackluster play style in PU on the whole, but is still seen on the ladder regardless), so it pairs well with options that slowly whittle away your opponent. If you were to use this Wailord, Roselia with Toxic Spikes would be an ideal partner for that reason.

Last edited:
Wailord really isn't that good of a Pokemon, with its only niche being PP Stall Wailord that is not very good in an offensive oriented tier. Curse Wailord isn't even that good because it just pulls your speed down and down and makes you an easy Toxic target. Other Water-types do a better job as an either physical or special attacker. But one thing that Wailord does decently well with the right support, is lure Wailord.

Wailord @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump

Choice Scarf Wailord. It don't know if this is the normal Scarf Wailord, but I tailored the set to lure in and KO as many things as possible. It lures a suprisingly large amount of PU Pokemon and KO's them. Choice Scarf is to outspeed every Pokemon under 360, which is the majority of Pokemon, and Water Veil is so that Wailord has one less status to worry about. Water Spout is the main STAB move and is quite powerful with Wailord's decent Special Attack stat. Ice Beam is for Jumpluff's or weakened Grass-types such as Simisage that think they can take you out. Not only does Hidden Power Electric KO weakened Water-types, it is also a way to hit Pelipper and Swanna. Hydro Pump is just a powerful move for when Water Spout loses power.

Wailord does need quite a bit of support. The most important thing thing to have is hazard control. If hazard is on the field, Water Spout loses quite a bit of power ever single time Wailord switches in. In addition, wish / cleric support could be used to keep this thing healthy from previous attacks or Status. Water Veil does manage to get rid of Burn damage, Poison does destroy Wailord's chance of luring. Also, Wailord can is a cleaner so it does appreciate hazards and wallbreakers weakening the opponent first a little bit so that it can score many more KOs.

So what does Wailord lure? Surprisingly, quite a bit of Pokemon. Wailord hits a nice 360 speed after the Scarf boost which lets it outspeed almost the whole unboosted meta, although it does get barely outspeed by Floatzel and Zebstrika, which really sucks. Water Spout lures in a lot of frail offensive Pokemon that think that Wailord will be an easy KO such as Raichu, Ursaring at about 75%, weakened Stoutlands, and the list goes on. Ice Beam lures in Grass-types such as Jumpluff or Simisage so that they can be 1HKOed or 1HKOed after rocks. Defensive Grass-types like Gourgeist and Tangela do have to be predicted on the switch in for the 2HKO. Finally, HP Electric does about 50% to most offensive Water-types, 1HKOs Defense Pelipper after rocks and 1HKOs full health Swanna. Special Defense Pelipper does have to be weakened though or hit once on the switch in to KO.

HP Electric Lures:

252 SpA Wailord Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swanna: 296-352 (101.7 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Wailord Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 272-320 (84.2 - 99%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Wailord Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Pelipper: 204-240 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Wailord Hidden Power Electric vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Simipour: 148-176 (50.6 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Water Spout Lures:
252 SpA Wailord Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 229-270 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Wailord Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ursaring: 243-286 (75.4 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Wailord Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 153-180 (49.1 - 57.8%)
Frail Pokemon in general

Ice Beam Lures:
252 SpA Wailord Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 320-380 (109.9 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Wailord Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 172-204 (45.9 - 54.5%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Wailord Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Simisage: 248-294 (85.2 - 101%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It isn't perfect, and many KOs rely on hazards, prediction, or weakening of the opponent team while still keeping hazards off your side of the field. But many times, Wailord can get some important and surprise KOs

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And the winner for most bizarre base speed is:
gourgeist-small.gif

Base 99? Just 3 more and this thing would be fantastic. 2 more would be pretty cool as well. But base 99 does have some perks: outspeeds Basculin, and speed tied with Adamant +2 Carracosta when that was a thing, and more! But beyond the speed, there is no reason to use the Small version over the Super. The lack of bulk and power is pretty apparent, but there is 1 role that I think Small does well:

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Disable
- Will-O-Wisp

If you cringed when you saw this set then you had the correct reaction. I originally got the set from Kushalos's sample Hazard Stack team and only replaced Protect with Willo, so credit where credit is due.

That being said, this set is ONLY good on Hazard Stack imo, as Small spinblocks pretty well and can stall out a good portion of the popular spinners with SubSeed. SubDisable is also on the set to ward off attackers and force them to take more hazard damage as a result of having to switch out. Will-o-Wisp is there so you can apply pressure to Grass-types and also further spread chip damage while also making it harder for physical attackers to break your Substitute.

The benefit of using this version over Super is in the speed: Small outspeeds a large portion of the metagame and can use Substitute before attackers can get an attack off. A fast Disable also works well, since you do not have to always lose your sub to Disable a move...which would leave you open to a possible secondary attack. Leech Seed on the Small version also heals more percentage, so you get more Substitutes with Small than you would with Super.

Overall, this set is very good at forcing switches into more hazards while also spinblocking for people who want more of a pivot than Misdreavus or Dusknoir. I also apologize beforehand if this set becomes popular. This set does have a lot of glaring weaknesses, but the niche of SubDisable is one that Small does pretty well.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
thanks for the clarifying

Gabite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Stone Edge
People know Gabite's good standard SR set so I'll post scarf, which is nice because it's somewhat unexpected and comes with the nifty electric immunity which you can only do with scarf chu and comes in handy. Standard moves are standard, it just really came in handy as a glue when I was trying to fix up my sample so yeah cool set someone post standard SR

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

Here's your standard Stealth Rock Gabite, with the spread modified from the one on the analysis. I actually did Gabite's analysis, so I know that the spread is outdated. Formerly the set had enough Speed to outspeed Pawniard, enough HP and Defense to take +2 Life Orb Carracosta's Waterfall, then the rest was placed into Attack. On this spread, I gave it max Attack, enough Speed to outspeed Adamant Monferno, and then a mix of HP and Special Defense that allows Gabite to take one HP Ice from Life Orb Zebstrika. The set is pretty simple, basically Stealth Rock is the main draw of this set, then Earthquake and Dragon Claw are a decent dual STAB combo that allows it to hit the meta pretty well neutrally, then Toxic is there to wear down defoggers such as Pelipper and Vullaby as well as bulkier Pokemon in general such as Tangela and Misdreavus. This fits on most builds, since it has pretty good offensive and defensive capabilities.

View attachment 50184 Gourgeist-S
Gourgeist-Small @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Slide
- Trick
- Explosion / Destiny Bond

Im not all to familiar with Gourgeist-S scarf set myself but ive seen it used pretty effectively and is pretty solid. Sitting at base 99 Spe isnt all too bad you can run Adamant maximizing its offensive capabilities to an extent after all 85 isnt that much. This set is more of a RKer/Crippler. Seed Bomb is your main stab hitting the meta very well while Rock Slide is a great (and only) second option hitting flying/fire and ice typed super effectively. Your final options are the scarf sets niche which is Trick and Dbond/Explosion, Trick allows you to cripple walls and eviolite users losing out on bulk/ability to switch through its supportive moves while Destiny Bond is used to guarantee a KO on the opponents team while Explosion can on frail mon or take a chunk from bulkier mons.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
View attachment 50184 Gourgeist-S
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Slide
- Trick
- Explosion / Destiny Bond

Im not all to familiar with Gourgeist-S scarf set myself but ive seen it used pretty effectively and is pretty solid. Sitting at base 99 Spe isnt all too bad you can run Adamant maximizing its offensive capabilities to an extent after all 85 isnt that much. This set is more of a RKer/Crippler. Seed Bomb is your main stab hitting the meta very well while Rock Slide is a great (and only) second option hitting flying/fire and ice typed super effectively. Your final options are the scarf sets niche which is Trick and Dbond/Explosion, Trick allows you to cripple walls and eviolite users losing out on bulk/ability to switch through its supportive moves while Destiny Bond is used to guarantee a KO on the opponents team while Explosion can on frail mon or take a chunk from bulkier mons.
MaroGod, you should run Jolly to hit 489 Speed. If you run Jolly over Adamant (445 Speed total if Adamant), you outspeed Scarf Sawsbuck (475), Jolly / Naive Ninjask (460), Scarf Mime (459), Scarf Rotom-F (447), and other neutral nature Scarfers.

This is the set to run with Scarf on Gourgeist-Small imo:

Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Trick
- Destiny Bond
- Seed Bomb

I pretty much posted this set in Underrated sets thread already if you want to read more about it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-will-be-deleted.3522046/page-11#post-6322362.

It was much better during Barb / Costa meta for being able to resist Costa's Aqua Jet and outspeeding +2 Adamant 252 Spe Barbaracle and therefore, being able to RK both of these threats, but it still has some decent utility in this new meta. Frisk + TrickScarf is a great combo as it lets you scout out your opponent's item before receiving a different item via Trick, and can help you out especially in battles against users who might not be using standard sets and items (read: Low Ladder lol).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)