protein bars/other nutritional supplements

Since i took up XC this year, i was advised to begin eating protein bars, running everyday my coach really recommended it. First i got Snickers Marathon bars which had tons of protein in them but were high in sodium and saturated fat, and they tasted like shit. Now i'm on power bars, and although they don't have as much protein they're a lot more enjoyable, and aren't high in cholesterol, sodium, or saturated fat. Just curious to see if other Smogoners are into Protein shakes/bars and if so what ones? Reccomendations?

Since i took up XC this year, i was advised to begin eating protein bars, running everyday my coach really recommended it. First i got Snickers Marathon bars which had tons of protein in them but were high in sodium and saturated fat, and they tasted like shit. Now i'm on power bars, and although they don't have as much protein they're a lot more enjoyable, and aren't high in cholesterol, sodium, or saturated fat. Just curious to see if other Smogoners are into Protein shakes/bars and if so what ones? Reccomendations?
Why would you need that crap? IMO you won't need bars etc. etc. One drink is enough

Protein bars are disgusting, IMO.

I use a combo of Protein Powder and Creatine (both ProLab). And no, Creatine doesn't fuck you up.

I only eat protein bars, and IMO Power Bars don't taste half bad, the Vanilla ones actually taste really good. My reasoning for taking Protein bars is that after a couple weeks i really started feeling fatigued. Breaking down my muscles everyday i realized i just wasn't getting enough protein in my diet. The reason i don;t take proetin shakes or stuff like that is after looking at the nutritional facts a couple of days, yes there was a shitload of protein but there was also like 20% of cholesterol and saturated fat. I think i can pass on those.

Are you eating alot of other fatty foods?

If not, that shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, I have a lightning fast metabolism, so cholesterol and fat aren't a problem for me (no, not bragging here).

I have one thing to say. Clif Bars are awesome. They taste great, are all natural, and have everything you need. There's also different types depending on what you need in your energy bar.

Why do all these people use these drugs? Your body isn't made for this crap, steroids? I mean you're ruining yourself, just stay in the gym for an extra hour.

These bars are like candies. the only thing good in them is that they give you energy in a second. So if you are in a marathon they will work great.

(but I think energy drinks are much better)

you know, you could just change your diet accordingly.... protein shakes are great and all but eating real food with high protein content is much better for you. plus, if you eat right you will get a lot of natural carbohydrates that, instead of turning into fat, will be energy boosters. i managed to gain 15lbs of bulk from weight lifting and karate exercises from a high protein diet without any supplements at all.

My roommate takes protein shakes. My friend supposedly uses steroids. He's a small guy (157, about 5'8'') so I can kinda see why, but just going to the gym works. I eat a lot of protein naturally (I'm the most carnivorous in my family). I'm big and have pretty strong legs as opposed to my upper body strength.

Eat fucking beans.

Seriously, beans are like the best shit you can eat. Lentils and kidney beans. Shit is packed with protein, fibre and like carbohydrates or some shit. Nutritious and delicious.

It's all psychological. Half of those products out on the market don't do much for you really. The battle with running is all in your head, every single race.

The only use you'll have for protein bars is for after long runs of 8+ miles. You're supposed to get a good dose of protein and carbs to rebuild muscle and lost energy after long runs. That's all they're good for really.

Yeah i agree with FiveKRunner on the power bar thing etc. I am in cross country, lately I have been doing bad in running, my left side of my leg has been hurting for a long time like a month. Before the last three races my leg has been hurting pretty bad, maybe i pulled a muscle or ligament because last year I ran 11:44 for two mile, and this year I can only get like 21:30 for three miles, I am a junior this year. I know I can do a lot better, but I think I need to take a week off, maybe that will help, maybe you can pm me FiveKRunner for advice since you seem to know a lot.

Yeah i agree with FiveKRunner on the power bar thing etc. I am in cross country, lately I have been doing bad in running, my left side of my leg has been hurting for a long time like a month. Before the last three races my leg has been hurting pretty bad, maybe i pulled a muscle or ligament because last year I ran 11:44 for two mile, and this year I can only get like 21:30 for three miles, I am a junior this year. I know I can do a lot better, but I think I need to take a week off, maybe that will help, maybe you can pm me FiveKRunner for advice since you seem to know a lot.
Yeah, i can see where you and FiveKrunner are coming from. Going along with you saying you need to take a week off, i actually took 3 days off, and had a meet today, and i got 17 seconds faster than my previous time. Running really is all mental, but i grew a whole new appreciation for track runners after i decided to take up xc, it really is a grueling sport. I guess in the beginning i was just working so hard my body responded in a negative way since i have never done anything like this, AND i was planning on only doing this to get in shape for basketball and lacrosse. Boy was I wrong. Well, I actually tried a cliffhanger today and it wasn't half bad, although i think i might just stick with Power Bars.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Eat fucking beans.

Seriously, beans are like the best shit you can eat. Lentils and kidney beans. Shit is packed with protein, fibre and like carbohydrates or some shit. Nutritious and delicious.
Right on. I've recently taken to getting generic Tops/Wegmans cans of pork & beans at a whopping 60 cents a can, the amount of protein in one can is about the same as any of my shakes, plus it fills me up a bit more and it's good for you at the same time.

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't excess protien be bad for running? You don't exactly want to build muscle mass do you? Anyways, go with protien power, it tastes good enough and you can mix it with all kinds of things. As for the kind it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you get whey protien and not the synthetic shit.

Protein bars are disgusting, IMO.

I use a combo of Protein Powder and Creatine (both ProLab). And no, Creatine doesn't fuck you up.
This just reminded me of something funny. My friend whoes big into lifting actually fed his gerbile creatine to see what would happen. It ended up getting huge forearms and hind legs,a nd it would literally climb up the side of its cage.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I trained for about 3 years without any supplements, and I did great imo. About a month ago though, I started taking creatine powder and I can really see a difference. It's like I'm getting 20% more gain from my training sessions. I'd reccomend it.

So, Lee is the Creatine like an Expert belt for you? lol

personally, I'm not into protein bars/shakes simply because I'm a frugal person. With a little effort, anything can be accomplished, but if you don't mind spending the extra cash I guess they would be all right.

although basics has the best idea of everyone. Beans Beans Beans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)