probably the best team ive "built", but needs some work

I was remaking this team that was killer about a year ago, probably the favorite team ive ever played with becaus eof its ability to hold momentum, the team Ive made is working really well but has some major flaws and im looking for community feedback.

Here is then original squad
https://pokepast.es/2b8406227ac473f5

:toxtricity:
Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Overdrive
- Boomburst
- Sludge Wave

kept from the original team, its designed to be a the wall breaker, the high ammounts of ground types do make things a little tricky for it but ive found boomburst can handle those pretty well. it breaks through a lot of common walls in the tier pretty nicely. specs is given to maximize damage output.

:toxapex:
Toxapex @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald
kept from the original team, its a pex, its a fat wall. deals with a lot of big offensive threats in the tier, one of my favs that it handles well is rapid strike urshifu, i think it still fits well. the eject button is to allow it to keep momentum up in the game so it doesnt allow big threats to come in, you switch it in, it eats a hit, then you send a revenge killer out to keep the offensive pressure up.

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

really good set from the original, deals with a lot of major threats, I like body press a lot because it allows it to 1v1 bisharp which would otherwise be a big problem to this team. it does wall rillaboom and garchomp pretty good but cant hit hard back, maybe protective pads would be good?

:barraskewda:
Barraskewda @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Flip Turn

meant to replace cinderace. obviously its not as good as cinderace but it has come in clutch in certain situations, I like the scarf as its good for suprising foes, it outspeeds mons you wouldnt expect it to like zeraora and dragapult, im probably going to end up swapping psychic fangs for crunch as other mons can already deal with toxapex good enough. Close combat is for dealing with ferrothorn and kyurem after a bit of chip. the reason I chose barraskewda at well is for its stab in flipturn, a stab momentum changing move

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

replacing silvally, its basically just a better version of silvally ground, it deals with everything silvally can and it can set up rocks too. its ability is a nice touch that allows it to deal with some top physical threats, knock off is there as a filler move but toxic may be better to be honest.

:blissey:
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

replacing reuniclus. reuniclus can hit harder but I liked having teleport on this mon thats why I made the swap, as reuniclus isnt quite as tanky, it also deals better with dragapult and gengar than reuniclus could and it can also slow down hydreigon pretty good which was a huge threat to the old team.

Things I want to keep up with the team for changes
Im super open to changes but I just dont want anything to be a momentum sink too much, so keep that in mind when giving suggestions please :)

Big threats to the team:
:Rillaboom: Rillaboom is a pretty big problem to the team cause grassy glide destroys momentum with barraskewda, it also outspeeds toxtricity and it can sd in the face of corviknight. this thing im for sure going to need a better way of dealing with it

:garchomp: garchomp has also been a big problem, best way ive found of dealing with it is just earthquaking it with lando for chip and then scrambling to clean it up other ways like with boom burst for example, but many garchomps run rest which makes it tougher, maybe special silvally with earthpower and icebeam would be better than lando? im not sure.

:heatran: trapping heatran has also been a struggle for this team as it can deal with blissey pretty good, but its not too hard to outplay as I can use lando and the eject button on pex helps ATON

:tapu-lele: also a big threat that can kind of just plow through the team, and unfortunately barraskewda cant do much about it.

I really want to make this squad super solid, any feedback appreciated but I want to focus on keeping the original element of the voltturn strategy :)

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey there, I’m here to give you my thoughts on the team as well as some advices to improve it.

Your team has a solid defensive basis with answers to most common SS OU threats. However, I think that your offensive core should be reworked. Indeed, Toxtricity :toxtricity: is hard to use in OU because of its low Speed and feel just like a worth Tapu Koko :tapu koko:. Sure, you have more offensive power but you will still struggle to deal with a lot of special walls like Slowking Galar :slowking galar:, Blissey :blissey:, Tyranitar :tyranitar: and you will be very easy to revenge kill. I’m not saying this set can’t work as Boomburst is still pretty spammable but I really thing you need a faster option here. Toxtricity’s main niche in OU may be its Shift Gear set but it doesn’t really fit in a balance team. As for your second offensive pick, namely Barraskewda :barraskewda:, I’m not convinced about Choice Scarf Barraskewda. Sure, it brings a lot of Speed, but it unfortunately won’t do much against almost any physical wall and cannot even threaten most offensive Pokemon if they are healthy. Barraskewda has only one niche in OU which is a Choice Band set in a Rain team. Even banded Barraskewda under Rain isn’t doing much to bulky Water types like Slowbro :slowbro: and Toxapex :toxapex: and its water moves have 2.25 times more power with a Choice Band and under Rain. Finally, even if your defensive core looks great, I feel like Eject Button Toxapex is meant to be a bulky Water able to pivot in order to safely switch in your breakers. However, as Eject Button only works one time, I think playing something with a pivot option like one of the Slowtwins :slowbro: :slowking: may just do the same thing but more consistently.

I will propose changes accordingly to what I explained in the intro, let’s dive into it!

Major changes

:toxtricity: -> :tapu koko:: I honestly think that even if Toxtricity is a cool Pokemon, Tapu Koko :tapu koko: would be way better here. You can keep this idea of a Choice Specs strong Volturner by using a Choice Specs Tapu Koko. A more defensive version with Boots and Roost could be used, but as you want to keep the Voltturn basis of the team you can just use a Choice Specs set. Volt Switch can be used instead of U-turn to pivot but this leaves you weaker to Ground types, even if with Grass Knot you can threaten some of them. Here is the set:

tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch /Grass Knot

:barraskewda: -> :urshifu-rapid-strike:: Even if it’s slower, Urshifu R :urshifu-rapid-strike: will be way more threatening than Barraskewda in this squad. You can still pivot with him with U-turn and you are way way harder to wall as most defensive Pokemon get 2HKO by Surging Strikes or Close Combat. You can play it Banded as Tapu Koko :tapu koko: already bring some Speed and you have a strong defensive core to deal with fast revenge killers. Here is the classic Choice Band set:

urshifu-rapidstrike.gif

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

:toxapex: -> :slowbro:: As I said it in the intro, no need to use Eject Button Toxapex when you can use Slowbro :slowbro: instead. Slowbro has a very similar role of bulky Water type but with the ability to continuously slow pivot with Teleport. Moreover, Future Sigh could be a great addition as it helps a lot your two breakers against defensive core they may struggle with alone. Here is the classic physical wall set for Slowbro (Rocky Helmet could be an option over Boots, but Boots are overall better to pivot more freely):

slowbro.gif

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Minor changes

This will be short as the other sets are already fine and I’ll just propose some alternative moves you can try.

:corviknight:: A pivot Corviknight with U-turn goes well in this kind of team. However, as you’ve noticed it, it can leave you weak to some Swords Dancers like Garchomp :garchomp:, Rillaboom :rillaboom:, Bisharp :bisharp:… Something you can try is Iron Defense Corviknight. You’ll lose your ability to pivot but it will be way easier to stop some physical setup sweepers. I can’t tell if it will effectively work better but you can try it and see if you rather keep your pivot set or use the Iron Defense one. Here is the set:
corviknight.gif

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

:blissey:: The set that you are running on Blissey seems very efficient in this kind of team. Teleport is great combined with good breakers like Specs Tapu Koko :tapu koko: and Banded Urshifu R :urshifu-rapid-strike:. Thunder Wave can help a lot, slowing down faster threats for Urshifu. Toxic may be an option to annoy some more defensive kind of team, but Thunder Wave is overall way better. I also thought about a Wish passer Blissey but as it cannot have Wish + Teleport this may be a worse choice.

:landorus-therian: Nothing to change here.

And here we are for the changes. The team still have some weakness and Pokemon like Heatran can be an issue on the long run if you don’t play carefully enough against them, but this should work better than the version you’ve proposed. Here is the past with the new version:

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

Hope this helps, it is not the only way to improve the team, but I hope it gave you some ideas on what to change. Have a nice day!

C
Hey there, I’m here to give you my thoughts on the team as well as some advices to improve it.

Your team has a solid defensive basis with answers to most common SS OU threats. However, I think that your offensive core should be reworked. Indeed, Toxtricity :toxtricity: is hard to use in OU because of its low Speed and feel just like a worth Tapu Koko :tapu koko:. Sure, you have more offensive power but you will still struggle to deal with a lot of special walls like Slowking Galar :slowking galar:, Blissey :blissey:, Tyranitar :tyranitar: and you will be very easy to revenge kill. I’m not saying this set can’t work as Boomburst is still pretty spammable but I really thing you need a faster option here. Toxtricity’s main niche in OU may be its Shift Gear set but it doesn’t really fit in a balance team. As for your second offensive pick, namely Barraskewda :barraskewda:, I’m not convinced about Choice Scarf Barraskewda. Sure, it brings a lot of Speed, but it unfortunately won’t do much against almost any physical wall and cannot even threaten most offensive Pokemon if they are healthy. Barraskewda has only one niche in OU which is a Choice Band set in a Rain team. Even banded Barraskewda under Rain isn’t doing much to bulky Water types like Slowbro :slowbro: and Toxapex :toxapex: and its water moves have 2.25 times more power with a Choice Band and under Rain. Finally, even if your defensive core looks great, I feel like Eject Button Toxapex is meant to be a bulky Water able to pivot in order to safely switch in your breakers. However, as Eject Button only works one time, I think playing something with a pivot option like one of the Slowtwins :slowbro: :slowking: may just do the same thing but more consistently.

I will propose changes accordingly to what I explained in the intro, let’s dive into it!

Major changes

:toxtricity: -> :tapu koko:: I honestly think that even if Toxtricity is a cool Pokemon, Tapu Koko :tapu koko: would be way better here. You can keep this idea of a Choice Specs strong Volturner by using a Choice Specs Tapu Koko. A more defensive version with Boots and Roost could be used, but as you want to keep the Voltturn basis of the team you can just use a Choice Specs set. Volt Switch can be used instead of U-turn to pivot but this leaves you weaker to Ground types, even if with Grass Knot you can threaten some of them. Here is the set:

View attachment 343249
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

:barraskewda: -> :urshifu-rapid-strike:: Even if it’s slower, Urshifu R :urshifu-rapid-strike: will be way more threatening than Barraskewda in this squad. You can still pivot with him with U-turn and you are way way harder to wall as most defensive Pokemon get 2HKO by Surging Strikes or Close Combat. You can play it Banded as Tapu Koko :tapu koko: already bring some Speed and you have a strong defensive core to deal with fast revenge killers. Here is the classic Choice Band set:

View attachment 343250
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

:toxapex: -> :slowbro:: As I said it in the intro, no need to use Eject Button Toxapex when you can use Slowbro :slowbro: instead. Slowbro has a very similar role of bulky Water type but with the ability to continuously slow pivot with Teleport. Moreover, Future Sigh could be a great addition as it helps a lot your two breakers against defensive core they may struggle with alone. Here is the classic physical wall set for Slowbro (Rocky Helmet could be an option over Boots, but Boots are overall better to pivot more freely):

View attachment 343251
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Minor changes

This will be short as the other sets are already fine and I’ll just propose some alternative moves you can try.

:corviknight:: A pivot Corviknight with U-turn goes well in this kind of team. However, as you’ve noticed it, it can leave you weak to some Swords Dancers like Garchomp :garchomp:, Rillaboom :rillaboom:, Bisharp :bisharp:… Something you can try is Iron Defense Corviknight. You’ll lose your ability to pivot but it will be way easier to stop some physical setup sweepers. I can’t tell if it will effectively work better but you can try it and see if you rather keep your pivot set or use the Iron Defense one. Here is the set:
View attachment 343252
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

:blissey:: The set that you are running on Blissey seems very efficient in this kind of team. Teleport is great combined with good breakers like Specs Tapu Koko :tapu koko: and Banded Urshifu R :urshifu-rapid-strike:. Thunder Wave can help a lot, slowing down faster threats for Urshifu. Toxic may be an option to annoy some more defensive kind of team, but Thunder Wave is overall way better. I also thought about a Wish passer Blissey but as it cannot have Wish + Teleport this may be a worse choice.

And here we are for the changes. The team still have some weakness and Pokemon like Heatran can be an issue on the long run if you don’t play carefully enough against them, but this should work better than the version you’ve proposed. Here is the past with the new version:

Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

Hope this helps, it is not the only way to improve the team, but I hope it gave you some ideas on what to change. Have a nice day!
Considering the team's weakness, I might recommend Skarmory :Skarmory: over Corviknight :Corviknight: if you're losing momentum. Skarmory fills more of a niche that the team could use, also being faster + having more defense. It can run Rocky Helmet to punish momentum on mons like Slowbro :Slowbro: and Landorus :Landorus-Therian:, and seeing as the team doesn't need Spikes you can have it run Defog- but beware that you should probably use a precautionary Jolly nature to outspeed and deal with Bisharp :Bisharp: and Timid Magnezone :Magnezone:. It also helps VS Heatran :Heatran: as it outspeeds, and after some chip on Heatran, Skarmory KO's it with Body Press. I kinda like the niche, it invalidates common BO or HO punishers and especially helps VS Rillazone :Rillaboom: :Magnezone: offenses.

Also, to get around the Heatran :Heatran: and Lele :Tapu Lele: weakness, run Sassy Slowking :Slowking: with enough Def investments to tank Surging Strikes and Close Combat from Urshifu-R :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:. Slowking's ability to setup in threat's faces or pivot tanking a hit is invaluable VS Lele.

The team as it already struggles VS Zeraora :Zeraora:, and careful play is difficult without consistent recovery on Landorus :Landorus-Therian:. Using recovery defensive Koko :Tapu Koko: is in the team's best interest, hate to take from recent RMT's so much but the set is especially useful and even has a use VS +1 physical Dragapult :Dragapult: Phantom Force.

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 12 HP / 32 Def / 244 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

The 12 HP and 32 Def allows it to tank 3HKO from Zeraora's boosted Plasma Fists, giving it enough time and recovery to force it out and RK Zeraora with Banded Urshifu-R's Aqua Jet. If you REALLY prefer specs Koko, I recommend the use of Roost in the final slot, rather than Volt Switch or Grass Knot. Grass Knot doesn't really do much for the team, neither does Volt Switch. Koko especially needs recovery, seeing as it isn't running Boots.

Honestly not much to beating Volcarona :Volcarona:, just chip it some and then use Urshifu-R's Aqua Jet to RK it. If it isn't an option, you can bring in Koko to boosted TB it out if it hasn't setup or you can predict it.

Not much else to say, I would simply consider these changes for Longevity of the team.

Last edited:

Major changes

View attachment 343249
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

View attachment 343250
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

View attachment 343251
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Minor changes

View attachment 343252
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet

C

Considering the team's weakness, I might recommend Skarmory :Skarmory: over Corvinknight :Corviknight: if you're losing momentum. Skarmory fills more of a niche that the team could use, also being faster + having more defense. It can run Rocky Helmet to punish momentum on mons like Slowbro :Slowbro: and Landorus :Landorus-Therian:, and seeing as the team doesn't need Spikes you can have it run Defog- but beware that you should probably use a precautionary Jolly nature to outspeed and deal with Bisharp :Bisharp: and Timid Magnezone :Magnezone:. It also helps VS Heatran :Heatran: as it outspeeds, and after some chip on Heatran, Skarmory KO's it with Body Press. I kinda like the niche, it invalidates common BO or HO punishers and especially helps VS Rillazone :Rillaboom: :Magnezone: offenses.

Also, to get around the Heatran :Heatran: and Lele :Tapu Lele: weakness, run Sassy Slowking :Slowking: with enough Def investments to tank Surging Strikes and Close Combat from Urshifu-R :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:. Slowking's ability to setup in threat's faces or pivot tanking a hit is invaluable VS Lele.

The team as it already struggles VS Zeraora :Zeraora:, and careful play is difficult without consistent recovery on Landorus :Landorus-Therian:. Using recovery defensive Koko :Tapu Koko: is in the team's best interest, hate to take from recent RMT's so much but the set is especially useful and even has a use VS +1 physical Dragapult :Dragapult: Phantom Force.

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 12 HP / 32 Def / 244 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

The 12 HP and 32 Def allows it to tank 3HKO from Zeraora's boosted Plasma Fists, giving it enough time and recovery to force it out and RK Zeraora with Banded Urshifu-R's Aqua Jet. If you REALLY prefer specs Koko, I recommend the use of Roost in the final slot, rather than Volt Switch or Grass Knot. Grass Knot doesn't really do much for the team, neither does Volt Switch. Koko especially needs recovery, seeing as it isn't running Boots.

Honestly not much to beating Volcarona :Volcarona:, just chip it some and then use Urshifu-R's Aqua Jet to RK it. If it isn't an option, you can bring in Koko to boosted TB it out if it hasn't setup or you can predict it.

Not much else to say, I would simply consider these changes for Longevity of the team.
thanks for the tips! Going to do some testing then ill let yall know how it turns out!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)