Prebank OU team.

Rotom-Wash or Rotom-Heat?

• rotom-wash

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • rotom-heat

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Eh, I don't have a nifty name for this thread. Sorry, about that. Anyway, this is an prebank OU team I've been using, and I would appreciate any advice and any needed changes or tweaks to this. Enjoy!

~
Bisharp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- Iron Head
- Psycho Cut
- Power-Up Punch Brick Break

Bisharp is a great Pokemon, with a resistance to ghost unlike it's steel brethren. It's high Attack stat is also convincing, making Bisharp an ideal choice to build around. He has speed that can be used for a Choice Scarf and Rock Polish Set, but I didn't want to risk a sudden OHKO when setting up Rock Polish, so I chose the Choice Scarf set. Power-Up-Punch allows me to simultaneously set up attack and KO some Pokemon. I could use Brick Break, but Power-Up Punch seems to be more useful for a proper sweep.

*Edit: Being locked into a choice move with Power-Up-Punch risks Bisharp to get a knock out, so I replaced it with Brick Break to break opposing screens. Recommendation by scarfConnoisseur
~
Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat

Rotom-Heat's typing is better for it's ability, since it isn't affected by ground moves, which could easily OHKO Rotom if it didn't have Levitate. Plus, dealing with threats like Aegislash and Ferrothorn(Something Rotom-Wash can't do), using Trick on Pokemon that need to set up, or using Volt Switch to any Pokemon that can take out an opposing threat, makes Rotom-Heat a viable Pokemon.
~
Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SAtk / 28 SDef / 212 Def
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Wish

Espeon has better stats than Xatu for a Magic Bounce user, especially in comparison of the Speed and Special Defense stats. I can easily set up a Light Screen and Reflect, and then a Wish for any Pokemon that has little HP left. Espeon has psychic, in case mega medicham and/or breloom want to sweep my team.
~
Gourgeist-Small (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 228 Def / 164 HP / 116 SDef
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Sneak

Everyone LOVES Trevenant for a support and Spinblocker, leaving Gourgeist-Small in the shadows as an overlooked Pokemon. However, this phantom bird is much faster and has a better defense stat than Trevenant. Plus, I can identify the item the opposing Pokemon has, leaving me with an easier choice to make, if I want to switch or stay in. I could choose the super size for more bulk, but the Small Size helps me set up Leech Seed first (most of the time) with the higher speed stat.
~
Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 HP / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Mawile used to be a horrible Pokemon. That is, until it became a steel AND fairy type; becoming a powerful Dragon Counter. Whats more to this Pokemon, is that it has a Mega Evolution with an ability that doubles it's high attack stat, making Mawile a ferocious sweeper. I would've used Mega Medicham, but the incoming outrage directed to my Noviern startles me if I don't have a Mawile. I shoved in 44 EVs for speed as a standard set.
~
Noivern (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Boomburst Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

*Edit: Air Slash is STAB and has the chance to flinch opposing Pokemon that are either sashed or need to set up, so I replaced Boomburst. Recommendation by scarfConnosisseur

Yes, another scarfed Pokemon. Noviern is the fastest dragon type in the metagame, and probably will hold it's title when Pokebank OU is released(Unless Mega Latios leaks are confirmed official). Giving a choice scarf to Noviern allows me to outspeed many Pokemon that could potentially be a pain to deal with, such as Scarfed Garchomp (Earthquake can OHKO bisharp) and Scarfed Salamence (Moxie would build up to sweep almost my entire team, leaving my most valuable Pokemon out of the battle)
~

Well...that should be it. Feel free to add any criticism and advice for this OU team. I'm currently working on a Pokebank OU version of this, so I'll probably add that when I have the time.​

Last edited:
I like this team. It does have some holes, however, most notably in the form of Talonflame. Changing Rotom-H to Rotom-W would solve this rather handily (and possibly investing some more EVs into bulk)* considering you already have Noivern's Flamethrower for Ferrothorn and Bisharp's Dark STAB for Aegislash (watch out if he's running Secret Sword though).
* My bad, forgot Rotom-H still resists both of Talonflame's STABs an KOs back with TB (DUH). I actually like seeing Rotom-H for once, disregard that.

Speaking of Bisharp, Scarf PUP sounds... counterproductive? The point of getting Attack boosts is to sweep with a powerful move, but getting locked into a weak non-STAB move that some of the most common 'mons are immune is a good way to stop a sweep cold. I think Bisharp would be more effective if you ran the set with Brick Break/any other coverage move. If you're hurting for those attack boosts, you could run a Swords Dance set w/ Life Orb on a Jolly nature to help make up for the lost speed.

Gourgeist-small is an interesting sight. I'm curious why you chose it over its other forms (namely the Super-sized one)-- this is something you should include in your description for him.

Mawile's description has an issue similar to Gourgeist's. What specific threats are you outspeeding with 44 EVs in Speed? Is that simply a standard set? I think you could mention that in his description.

In my experience, Noivern leaves a vast majority of the meta-game in the dust with just its natural speed on a Timid nature, but its attacks often lack the extra oomph needed to secure a KO. If there's nothing in particular you're running Scarf to outspeed (possibly Scarf Garchomp? Shell Smashed Cloyster? insert scarfmon-that-threatens-your-team here?), I recommend using Specs instead. Also, having Boomburst and Infiltrator on the same set is redundant. Either run Frisk with Boomburst to still get behind subs or replace it with Flying-type STAB
in Air Slash/Hurricane (preference in accuracy or power).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)