(Pre Pokebank OU) Mega Destructario (24-4 #28 on ladder)

Whats good Smogon. I got here a Prebank team, which is the tier I am mainly playing because it is nice to enjoy while I can a metagame with no genesects, deoxys, landos, etc dominating the tier. The main inspiration of this team came from Kidogo’s bp team, which concept was to pass a stat boost to a powerhouse sweeper in a disguised sort of way. As will be seen in the teambuilder, one of the main aspects to this team is utilizing swords dance baton pass gliscor and passing sds to mega lucario. As shown in the description, I achieved the upper part of the ladder with this team, and I think this team has the potential to climb a few more spots. So, here it is.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature

- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock

Every good team should have a stealth rocks user because stealth rocks are arguably the best and most broken move in the game, and ttar is that poke. This set allows me to get up rocks as well as sneak in some good damage to common ttar switch ins, such as gliscor, ferro, donphan, skarm, forretress, etc. The main goal of this poke is to make sure rocks are on the field, and once it does that it’s pretty much job well done and used for death fodder, last ditch attempts to stop setup sweepers, or help against talonflame.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature

- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch

The undisputed mvp of this team, Mega Lucario. It seems eight times out of ten when I win mega lucario is the poke to KO the last member of the other team. Thanks to double priority and absurdly strong close combats, if I’m able to pass a +2 to lucario (which isn’t that hard to do), then more times than not it will be gg right there. Due to the coverage of this set, not too much can wall let alone switch in to this extremely powerful poke. Even by itself, lucario is still a powerful threat which does a decent job cleaning up weakened teams. Adament is used because of lucario’s priority and because the extra damage output often is extremely significant. Because Lucario is extremely vital to my team, I cannot stress enough the importance to playing carefully with it. I almost never ever switch this thing directly, and try not to bring it out until I know it will be able to clear out the opposition. This thing is a beast without being broken imo, and I’m often in awe how well this poke performs its sweeper role.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 Def / 232 HP / 56 SAtk
Modest Nature

- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Every single team in ou absolutely needs a defensive rotom. Everyone has seen this set before, and the reason it’s so common is because it checks so many threats, to talonflame, mega pinsir, normal gyrados, and scizor. The special attack investment is to hit harder the bulky waters which my team has trouble with, and rest is to shrug of status and get right out there taking flying and fire hits. Standard rotom, not much else to say here.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature

- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

I needed a pokemon which could set up and do well against stallyish teams, and clefable does this pretty well. Previously this spot was held by reuniclus, but I found that clefable works much better because it can help against aegislash and play mind games with dragon users. Clefable pretty much gets at least one KO per game, and once it has a couple of CMs it can be difficult to stop thanks to the raw power of its coverage moves. Also, thnxx to magic guard, clefable does well as a status absorber. While Scizor can counter Clefable well, I make it a priority to hit scizor on the switch with fire blast, which makes me feel like a complete bad ass. Thank you GF for giving this super cool and OG poke some much needed buffs which allow for it to roll with the big boys of ou.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 202 Def / 54 Spd
Impish Nature

- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Baton Pass

Gliscor is a cog extremely necessary for the success of this team. Gliscor has two main roles, 1) passing sds to lucario, and 2) tanking ground attacks and stopping physical aegislash. Bp works extremely well with gliscor because very few if any players suspect it. Often they will allow gliscor to set up thinking they will just revenge kill gliscor, but then I bp to lucario and then they are like shieettt. I previously had substitute on gliscor but I changed it to taunt. Thnxx to taunt, I can set up in the face of skarmory (something no baton passer can do) trevenant, and pretty much any non water or ice attacker. However, prediction on when to bp or when to keep on setting up becomes tighter with taunt over sub, and I try to make sure I can get a bp off before a powerful water or ice attacker switches in. Whatever you do, do not stay in against a powerful ice/water attacker because you will die. Overall, bp gliscor is a threat not many prepare for which helps lucario devastate teams while being occasionally able to sweep by itself.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Mienshao has two roles 1) revenging mega kanga and 2) scouting and messing up potential leads. Previously this position was held by breloom, but mienshao I feel contributed in every battle much more than loom was doing. Mienshao if played smartly is quite hard to kill off thanks to regenerator, and does a great job of scouting, u turning, and drain punching when necessary. Also, mienshao completely foils smeargle leads, which gives the team great momentum against such teams.

Proof of Ladder Rank

upload_2013-11-24_19-18-42.png

Threatlist

While this team has proven to be successful, there pokes which are able to completely annihilate it.

Mega gyrados – I don’t know why more people don’t use this poke, it seems deadly in the hands of a good trainer. At plus one this thing can pretty much oko my entire team. My best bet is to realize it’s a mega based on whether it has lefties and whether it seems that gyra is the only mega. Then, I hope stealth rocks, Clefable’s moonblast, and lucario’s priority are able to take it down.

Volcarona – This thing at plus one can also oko my entire team. In order for me to beat this thing, I need rocks down, hope that it doesn’t have roost, and then try to knock down that last 50% with either priority or rotom-W. If I am lucky I can hit it with stoneedge with mienshao before it sets up.

Quagsire – I haven’t seen it yet while laddering, but I have no idea how my current team can KO it

Mixed aegislah – I don’t know why I don’t see mixed aegislash more often either when it’s probably a little better than the standard physically based one. When I got higher up the ladder, I would deal with this thing by going to clefable over gliscor because most mixed variants have sacred sword over iron head. Still this thing still can leave massive dents on this team

Gengar – This monster is a huge threat to my team. Nothing on this team likes to take a shadow ball, and my best option against gengar is to revenge it with lucario. Thankfully, focus blast on gengar isn’t as common as it was last gen, which allows ttar to sometimes handle it for me.

Please Rate! I’m pretty much done using this version of the team, so I’m welcome to most changes! Thnxx!

Hey man, this is a really cool and even frightening team: the BP to Lucario must be killer. My initial reaction was "augh, god I hate BP" but then I realized how easy it must be to pass from Gliscor to Luke if your opponent is expecting toxic stall or some such. I also like how you brought in some lesser used pokes (Mienshao, Clefable) seemingly to great effect. And, of course, luring those bulky Ground and Steel-types with T-tar only to blast them with Ice Beam/Fire Blast is pretty clever.

I'm a Mega Gyarados user myself, and I agree with you, it's a massive threat to your team after one boost. Despite my loyalty to the blue serpent I think I have an idea as to how you could better check him, and a couple of your other threats too.

Every single team in ou absolutely needs a defensive rotom.
Completely disagree. Rotom-Appliance has insane utility to be sure but that bulk isn't mandatory when it's already got great resistances. I think a Scarf Rotom-W is going to give you much more value in the current meta.

Rotom (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave / Trick

This guy's got a number of advantages over bulky Rotom-W right now. It's still going to check Talonflame, Aegislash, Scizor, etc but with the added utility of outspeeding +1 Adamant Gyarados with Modest or +1 Jolly Gyarados with Timid. Protip: if you suspect it's the Mega, go ahead and hit Scarf WoW over Volt Switch. A burned EQ isn't close to an OHKO, and a burned Gyarados is, well, nothing to worry about.

If you manage to get in against an unboosted Volcarona, you have a good chance to OHKO before it uses Giga Drain - - but you're much safer Thunder Waving it and letting something like Mienshao come in for the easy revenge kill. Same goes with Gengar - either risk the OHKO with Hydro Pump, or better yet, scarf T-Wave it so it's no longer a threat. Modest Scarf Rotom also outspeeds and OHKOs Greninja, which is hugely important. What with Rotom's immunity, natural bulk, and resistances, it doesn't die until you want it to. Scarf Volt Switch is going to go great with U-Turn Mienshao, too.

Regarding Trick versus Thunder Wave: I think Trick is a bit of a liability this gen. Giving the wrong pokémon a Choice Scarf could be fatal, while being locked into a useless T-Wave just means you switch out to Gliscor or Clefable. And more importantly still, with all the Mega Stones around that can't be Tricked, it's too dangerous to chance. You'll find on the whole Scarf WoW and T-Wave to neutralize crucial threats throughout the match.

Last edited:
Well doesn't this look fun? If I had to make a suggestion it would be about your Clefable. If you had not known there is a youtube, (Blame Truth) Who has been showing off a very interesting and powerful clefable set, not sure who originally created it though. It basically works like this:
Moveset: Cosmic Power, Stored Power, Charge Beam, Sotfboiled.

By using cosmic and stored power, your boosting your longevity a thousand times over making you nearly impossible to kill. Charge beam over and over also gives you massive special attack boosts which only continues to feed into your stored power. This might make clefables role here easier than being a steel check.

You guys really need to read.... He said pre-bank, ergo no softboiled.

I like your Clefairy and the overall team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)