SV OU [PRE-GLISCOR BAN] Chesnaught + Skeledirge Stall (Got reqs!)

Chesnaught + Skeledirge Stall
:sv/gliscor: :sv/dondozo: :sv/blissey: :sv/chesnaught: :sv/clefable: :sv/skeledirge:

I RAN OUT OF SPACE. DIVIDED INTO 2 POSTS. 1/2.

This team is outdated! Just a little something i thought i'd share. I got reqs on the latest Gliscor suspect (click to see) with this team, so you can definetely use it if you're playing in a format where this ban for some reason isn't in effect, as a throwback with friends, or whatever you want. Really just here as a novelty of sorts. Had to get this out of my system.

THE TEAM >>>>>> https://pokepast.es/bdc36eba4df6edfd<<<<<< THE TEAM
It's also uploaded publicly as team 123774 /view team 123774

This is my first time doing something like this, so please bear with me!

Intro

Why stall?

To me, Tera is the epitome of both unfun and uncompetitive. I hate going up against offensive teams and being cucked out of a win by a Tera i couldn't have predicted, be it because it's very out of the ordinary or for some other reason. I find this to be a very common occurence when i play something that isn't a slow, steady pace with very clear outcomes in every turn (crits aside), so i fall back on stall to not get tilted out of my mind every time i try going on the SV OU ladder.

Stall, as of Roaring Moon's ban, is consistent. Against the very common HO teams (as in the style, not any particular teams), you always know exactly what to do and there is very little room for deviation from the plan you'd use. Sure, there is room for getting predicted and/or outplayed, but as long as you're both good and experienced with this playstyle, you should not have any problems with equally skilled players.

The general teambuilding process

Stall, as most of you might already know, is very straightforward. Your team is focused on dealing as much passive damage as possible instead of the traditional direct means, this means that your primary source of damage would be entry hazards, status conditions, trapping moves and weather (which this team does not use) among other forms of passive damage. This makes it almost mandatory to include at least one Pokémon capable of fulfilling the following roles: hazard setter, wall(s), Knock Off absorber, status absorber and Unaware user. As of generation 8 with the introduction of Heavy-Duty-Boots, it's equally mandatory to include a Knock Off user.

A good stall team must include these roles if it wants to succeed. This metagame is stacked to the brim with both Pokémon that nuke everything and those that can compress multiple of the aforementioned roles into one team slot, so handpicking & studying your team composition is essential to face the dominant Hyper Offense teams.

Individual Pokémon's purposes, usage tips and checks/counters

:sv/gliscor:
:gliscor: Gliscor, the Annoyance :gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Protect​

What do I need to know?

• Gliscor is quite possibly singlehandedly keeping both stall & balance minimally PLAYABLE in the face of the dominant Hyper Offense teams. It's very hard to break for a lot of Pokémon thanks to it's great set of tools. After losing access to Roost, Poison Heal + Toxic Orb + Protect is a must have for any defensive Gliscor to assure it's longevity. Healing 12% per turn is not only an almost 2x as better Leftovers (6.25% per turn), but it means that you both cannot be statused once activated and that you don't care about being hit with Knock Off, since you don't depend on holding the item to heal after one turn.
  • Knock Off is prefered over Earthquake to assure your passive damage from your Spikes, your most valuable tool, does not go ignored against opponents with Heavy-Duty-Boots, and assures those immune (such as Enamorus :enamorus:) will still take damage from your teammates' Stealth Rock. It can also be useful to make opponents like Choice Band Rillaboom :rillaboom: not hit you as hard as they would, making them more manageable for your team to play against. Sadly (for the best, honestly, let's be real here) it's damage output does not even begin to compare to STAB Earthquake. This may leave Gliscor in awkward positions, namely against enemy Glimmora :glimmora:, where it has to chip it down slowly until it dies, alternating between Knock Off and protect as to avoid the 2HKO of Power Gem; but is ultimately a better pick for stall Gliscor.
  • Spikes, as i said before, will be your main source of damage against most teams. After 3 stacks grounded opponents will take 1/4th (25%) of their max HP in damage upon switching in. Even if you cannot guarantee every layer, trying to set up one before switching out is a good idea to put spinning pressure & some damage on your opponent. It has almost no risk involved, except if Hatterene :Hatterene: is part of your opponent's roster. More detail on this in the Usage Tips section.
  • Toxic is the bane of every offensive & defensive Pokémon except steels/poisons such as Gholdengo :Gholdengo:, Slowking-Galar :slowking-galar: and Heatran :Heatran:, or immunities like Manaphy :manaphy: and other Gliscor :gliscor:. Landing it immediately cripples whatever it hits extremely hard on the long term, making it much harder for your opponent to manage the passive damage over the course of the game. It has very little risk to it, if any.
  • Protect is necessary to assure your Gliscor's longevity. It effectively makes you immortal 2/3 turns, since getting OHKO'd is very hard, and you can protect immediately after for a 24% heal over 2 turns. This is the riskiest move Gliscor has, however. It's very predictable, which opens up an opportunity for your opponent to switch in something Gliscor evaporates to the sight of, such as Choice Specs Enamorus :enamorus: or any Weavile :weavile:. Furthermore, it only has 16 PP. You need to manage your Protects effectively in order to make the most out of Gliscor.
  • Tera Ghost permits switching off trapping moves like the dangerous Magma Storm in addition to shitting on Great Tusk's :great-tusk: front porch by denying the spin.
  • 30 Speed IVs are used to be slower than 31 IV Gliscor with U-turn, guaranteeing that you Knock or Toxic what comes in next once you know that's the set. You don't want to lower it too much as to not get outsped by uninvested mons or slow invested ones.

Usage Tips

• There is almost NO ENEMY TEAM where you don't lead with Gliscor. This is up to your discretion, of course, but the turn 1 Protect is fairly risk-free, considering the other Pokémon included in my team. Getting the self induced Toxic from your Toxic Orb is the only reason Gliscor is usable to begin with. Which brings me to...
  • You want to (almost) ALWAYS PROTECT TURN 1. Again, up to discretion, but if you get Knocked Off without having procced your Toxic Orb, it's over: Gliscor is then relegated to being little more than a suicide spikes lead and a likely sacrifice. It's very rare for the opponent NOT to lead with something that threatens out or abuses Gliscor's presence directly. If they decide to use Swords Dance on their Ogerpon :ogerpon-wellspring: or Dragon Dance on their Dragonite :dragonite:, you'd still go into your Chesnaught or Dondozo respectively. If they use Substitute on Enamorus :enamorus: or Iron Moth :iron-moth:, you can fall back on Skeledirge and Blissey respectively (for Enamorus, you may also decide to go into Blissey and using Stealth Rock depending on the opposing roster). Don't fear giving the enemy what feels like an initiative, because, again, without Poison Heal active Gliscor is near useless. And as i've also said, Gliscor is what holds your team together when put up against a lot of Hyper Offense and Balance teams. My point is: don't throw. Protect.
    • ALWAYS PROTECT AGAINST ENEMY GLISCOR :gliscor:, CLEFABLE :clefable: AND RILLABOOM :rillaboom: ON TURN 1. They may carry Knock Off, and you don't want to stand around and find out yourself. Rillaboom almost always has it.
    • ALWAYS PROTECT AGAINST ENEMY CINDERACE :CINDERACE: AND WEEZING-GALAR :WEEZING-GALAR: ON TURN 1. These carry Will-O-Wisp and will attempt to burn you to negate Poison Heal damage.
    • ALWAYS PROTECT AGAINST ENEMY TYRANITAR :tyranitar:, DRAGONITE :dragonite:, SLOWKING-GALAR :slowking-galar:, TOXAPEX :toxapex:, BOTH GOODRAS :goodra: :goodra-hisui:, SANDY SHOCKS :sandy-shocks:, LANDORUS-THERIAN :landorus-therian: AND THUNDURUS-THERIAN :thundurus-therian: REGARDLESS OF THE TURN. This might sound a bit schizophrenic, but both of the first two may carry Ice Beam (yes, mixed ttar is real and it ate my ass) and can surprise OHKO your Gliscor. The next 4, Slowking-Galar :slowking-galar:, Toxapex :toxapex: and the Goodras :goodra: :goodra-hisui: also do. Sandy Shocks :sandy-shocks:, Landorus-T :landorus-therian: and Thundurus-Therian :thundurus-therian: often carry Tera Blast with Tera Ice. Thundurus in particular, if using Choice Specs instead of Boots (often on Ribombee webs teams) also runs Tera Blast Tera Flying which OHKOs Gliscor as well. Landorus-T and Thundurus-T can also have Knock Off. Don't fall for it. Don't be greedy. Play it safe, play it smart. Protect.
    • ALWAYS PROTECT AGAINST ENEMY TORKOAL :torkoal: ON TURN 1. Some carry lava plume, which has a 30% chance to burn. You don't want to risk it unless the enemy does not have Great Tusk :great-tusk: or some other physical attacker that Gliscor handles very well. It's also good to scout what choice-locked Walking Wake :walking-wake: will do via Protect.
    • ALWAYS PROTECT AGAINST ENEMY RIBOMBEE :RIBOMBEE: ON TURN 1. All of them run Stun Spore, which can deny your Poison Heal. Your team doesn't care about webs. Go into Blissey and set up rocks after protecting.
  • If Ogerpon-Wellspring :ogerpon-wellspring: switches outside of Turn 1 in while you're at near full HP, go for Toxic, followed by Protect, followed by switching to Chesnaught. Ivy Cudgel does not OHKO physdef Gliscor without a crit. This is up to your discretion, again, because of Ivy Cudgel's high crit rate. Unfortunately, it's a gamble, but i find it one to be worth the risk. Badly poisoning this nuclear bomb of a Pokémon greatly improves your chances at winning against teams that include it, since it gets worn down significantly faster. This is, otherwise, one of the biggest threats to any stall team if paired with Rillaboom :rillaboom:, so keep it in mind. You don't want to hard switch into Dondozo either way, since it gets 2HKO'd by Power Whip regardless of whether you Tera after switching in.
  • If the enemy Great Tusk :great-tusk: is not Protosynthesis: Attack or Choice Band, always go for Toxic. This is, realistically, the only good hazard removal option in the entirety of OU. It only threatens the OHKO if it uses 252+ Atk Proto or Band, so you've got a relatively safe window to Toxic. Getting Tusk poisoned is a condition for winning, as it otherwise may be able to endlessly spin away your hazards. Against Tera Steel/Poison, Knock Off. Removing Heavy-Duty-Boots or Leftovers is the best you can do at this point for chipping it.
  • Playing against Glimmora:glimmora:: Glimmora can be annoying. Power Gem 2/3HKOs Gliscor and it can use Mortal Spin to remove your spikes, all while your Knock Off does a measly ~16-19%. Alternate between Knock Off and Spikes to force it to waste a turn spinning, and protect when possible to heal off as much as you can. When it's going to Power Gem, you can switch to Blissey and Shadow Ball it for more damage. You'll get poisoned, but it'll go away thanks to Natural cure. Cycle between these 2 until it's dead.
  • Playing against Hatterene:hatterene:: Hatterene is a very simple matchup. It sucks that it may bounce back Spikes, but it does not like being Knocked Off. You can switch into Skeledirge to null it.
  • Don't stay in on Corviknight :corviknight:. Pressure depletes your PP much faster, and combined with Bulk Up Brave Bird's damage it'll brun through Protect very fast. Skeledirge is a safe switch, rely on it instead.
  • Don't be greedy vs Alolan Ninetales :ninetales-alola:. Don't be greedy, if that's their lead just Protect for the Poison Heal and go Blissey, who doesn't really care for Hypnosis/Freeze, and Stealth Rock. Both Blizzard and Freeze Dry will OHKO you.
  • Be careful against Valiant :iron-valiant:. You never really know what set it runs, and mixed's Moonblast does an uncomfortable amount. Toxic it if you can, and go into Skeledirge. Encore doesn't matter much.
  • Staying in on Rillaboom can be risky. You always get 2HKO'd by banded Wood Hammer, but it can be advantageous to use Knock Off on it to make it hurt less the next time it comes in or to easen the pressure on your dedicated monkey check, Chesnaught. Beware, however, that knocking their Band can result in them knocking your Chesnaught's Heavy-Duty-Boots in return. Do note that some Rillaboom opt for Terrain Extender and Swords Dance, in which case you should go for a Toxic.
  • Watch out for Weezing-G :weezing-galar:. Weezing-Galar :weezing-galar:'s Neutralizing gas can turn your healing into nasty heavy damage, damage you with Strange Steam and Defog your hazards away. You shouldn't overextend your stay when your opponent has Weezing, so as to not stack turns of Toxic, even if it's not on the field. It relies on Heavy-Duty-Boots or Leftovers to do anything long term, so Knocking it is the way to go.
  • Watch out for Zapdos :zapdos:. Hurricane 2HKOs you, and it may run Tera Blast Ice or the more common Weather Ball on Rain or on teams with Alolan Ninetales :ninetales-alola:.
  • Try to Knock Off if Clefable :clefable: comes in, then switch to Skeledirge. Some players like to bluff Magic Guard via Boots. Knocking off Clefable :clefable: lets you assess it's set or annoy it by taking away it's leftovers. I haven't ever seen any of the old Life Orb ones, but it doesn't hurt to go for the knock anyway since it's a 2HKO regardless. Swap to Dirge, don't let yourself be take the great damage from Calm Mind variants after grabbing a boost. Don't try to come in and knock.
  • Don't risk it against Pelipper :pelipper:. This guy OHKOs you with surf.
  • Playing vs Hisuian Samurott :samurott-hisui:: Samurott's strong Water STABS may threaten Gliscor out after a hit, all while threatening to Spike and Knock Off the switchins. The way i deal with it is to Protect as usual for turn 1, since there aren't many who run Swords Dance, followed by a Toxic, followed by another Protect. By this point you'll be able to gauge their interest: do they prioritize setting Spikes or do they prioritize killing Gliscor? Based on what you think your opponent intends to do and what moves you think they're employing, make a judgement whether to switch into Chesnaught (since it has Spiky Shield, it can stall out some turns for the Toxic damage unlike Dondozo) or start setting up Spikes of your own. Be careful of Aqua Cutter's high crit rate, as it has the potential to leave Gliscor near death if it crits from full.
-----TYRANITAR :tyranitar:-----
116 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----DRAGONITE :dragonite:-----
76 SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----SLOWKING GALAR :slowking-galar:-----
0 SpA Slowking-Galar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----TOXAPEX :toxapex:-----
252+ SpA Toxapex Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 312-368 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

-----GOODRAS :goodra::goodra-hisui:-----
0 SpA Goodra Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Goodra-Hisui Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----SANDY SHOCKS :sandy-shocks:-----
252 SpA Tera Ice Sandy Shocks Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 628-744 (177.4 - 210.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----LANDORUS THERIAN :landorus-therian:-----
252 Atk Tera Ice Landorus-Therian Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 352-420 (99.4 - 118.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHK

-----THUNDURUS THERIAN :thundurus-therian: -----
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Flying Thundurus-Therian Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 358-422 (101.1 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Tera Ice Thundurus-Therian Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 712-844 (201.1 - 238.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----OGERPON WELLSPRING :ogerpon-wellspring:-----
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 230-272 (64.9 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

-----GREAT TUSK :great-tusk:-----
4 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 180-216 (50.8 - 61%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 220-260 (62.1 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 284-336 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

-----GLIMMORA :glimmora:-----
0 Atk Gliscor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 73-86 (23.7 - 28%) -- 87.9% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Gliscor Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 49-58 (15.9 - 18.8%) -- possible 6HKO

252 SpA Glimmora Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 166-196 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

-----NINETALES ALOLA :ninetales-alola:-----
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 324-384 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
88 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 360-424 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 504-592 (142.3 - 167.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----IRON VALIANT :iron-valiant:-----
252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 186-219 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

-----RILLABOOM :rillaboom:-----
252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor in Grassy Terrain: 169-199 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor in Grassy Terrain: 226-266 (63.8 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor in Grassy Terrain: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tera Grass Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor in Grassy Terrain: 206-244 (58.1 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor in Grassy Terrain: 252-297 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor in Grassy Terrain: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

-----ZAPDOS :zapdos:-----
252 SpA Tera Ice Zapdos Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 640-760 (180.7 - 214.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Zapdos Weather Ball (100 BP Ice) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor in Snow: 536-632 (151.4 - 178.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Zapdos Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor in Rain: 402-474 (113.5 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 220-261 (62.1 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

-----CLEFABLE :clefable:-----
+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 186-219 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

-----PELIPPER :pelipper:-----
8 SpA Pelipper Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor in Rain: 356-422 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----SAMUROTT HISUI :samurott-hisui:-----
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 186-222 (52.5 - 62.7%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor on a critical hit: 282-332 (79.6 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 200-236 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 87-103 (24.5 - 29%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal

:sv/dondozo:
:dondozo: Dondozo, the mortal immortal fatass :dondozo:
Dondozo @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fighting
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Liquidation​

What do I need to know?

Dondozo's role is nothing more and nothing less than what you'd expect it to do. It's a bulky Unaware Pokémon that is night impossible for (most) physical attackers to break (((((((big emphasis on most))))))). It's somewhat of a bread and butter for stall teams for what will probably be the entirety of SV OU, together with Blissey for a simple both-sides wall core. Although hard to break, it's exploitable and very slow, so you can't both switch into it and play with it mindlessly.

• Heavy Duty Boots are a must have to not get chipped down by entry hazards. Knock Off is awful to take, avoid it at all costs by going into your Clefable instead when faced with things such as Weavile :weavile:.
  • Unaware is necessary to null setup sweepers like Dragonite :dragonite: and Sneasler :sneasler:. They will almost never break Dondozo otherwise: Dragonite gets PP stalled no matter what, and Sneasler gets 2HKO'd by Liquidation.
  • Tera Fighting is used because it's neutral to Grass, resistant to Dark and boosts your Body Press. A Grass weakness is Dondozo's version of Achiles' Heel in current OU: Ogerpon-W :ogerpon-wellspring: and Rillaboom :rillaboom: are offensive staples that completely destroy it via their Grass STAB. Through using your Tera you can 1v1 Ogerpon-Wellspring :ogerpon-wellspring: (Body Press 2HKOs), but not Rillacoom :rillaboom:, so I strongly reccomend switching in Chesnaught into these 2 instead. Tera Fighting also resists Dark, which can come in key against 5 Fallen and/or Black Glasses/Dread Plate Kingambit :kingambit:. Fairy/Psychic weaknesses are unfortunate however, since you're less able to check mixed Iron Valiant :iron-valiant: and take Future Sights. Try to avoid going onto Dondozo immediately if these are present since Chesnaught can also take the hits Dozo takes decently well, in some cases even better, such as vs Kingambit :kingambit: and Ogerpon/Rillaboom.
  • Rest + Sleep Talk allow you to not be passive and actually do damage while asleep. It can be very unreliable at times, because Sleep Talk calls a move at random, including Rest, which will fail. Newer players should remember that you only sleep 2 full turns, so on the third you should use the move you want.
  • Liquidation is preferred over Avalanche to do much more damage on switches.
  • Body Press is a great compliement to Liquidation that threatens to OHKO fast Kingambit :kingambit: and always 2HKOs bulky ones.

Usage tips

• Become familiar with how Unaware works. Unaware ignores ALL of the opponent's stat changes, good or bad. Liquidation's Defense drops are worthless for Dondozo, but them getting drops on you makes a difference. Unaware does not ignore YOUR stat changes, so you should try to clear Defense drops by going into Gliscor/Chesnaught before coming back in.
  • Avoid being hit with Knock Off. Losing your Boots can be the end of you if the opponent stacks Spikes with Samurott-Hisui :samurott-hisui: or Gliscor :gliscor:. Have Clefable or your own Gliscor take these Knock Off instead. In the case of Great Tusk :great-tusk:, going Clefable is your best bet since it threatens to OHKO fast Tusk and always 2HKOs bulky ones.
  • You don't always have to Sleep Talk! Sometimes it's preferable to conserve PP by selecting a move that isn't Sleep Talk, since PP isn't consumed when you spend a turn asleep.
  • Conserve your Tera. You don't want to leave yourself unable to check Swords Dance Acrobatics Tera Flying Sneasler :sneasler: or be be denied your check thanks to Slowking-Galar's :slowking-galar: Future Sight because you spent your Tera unwisely. Only use it when absolutely necessary.
  • Don't go Dondozo into Rillaboom :rillaboom: or Ogerpon :ogerpon: :ogerpon-cornerstone: :ogerpon-wellspring:. Like i already said, Rillaboom completely demolishes Dondozo with Wood Hammer, and all Ogerpon formes threaten a guaranteed 2HKO with Power Whip or a 3HKO with Horn Leech, outhealing your damage with Body Press. If Grassy Terrain is up, Ogerpon-W and Ogerpon-C can OHKO with Power Whip. Regular Ogerpon :ogerpon: can hold items, namely Choice Band.
  • Avoid taking chip if you can, distribute it between Dondozo, Gliscor and Chesnaught when possible. Chip on Dozo may sometimes be your downfall, so distributing it between these 3 helps immensely.
  • Use your PP wisely, don't stay in on Corviknight. Dondozo's total PP is only 46. 32 attacking moves, 8 for rest, 16 for Sleep Talk. You don't have a lot of room to wiggle around, so conserve your PP. Go Skeledirge on Corviknight, since it threatens it out while gaining a Spa boost.
  • Don't use Rest mindlessly, make sure to always stay healthy. Some Pokémon, like Protosynthesis Attack Great Tusk :great-tusk: threaten a 3HKO while you 2/3HKO them back. Make sure you'll be healthy after the interaction while minimizing PP loss.
  • Don't stay in on special attackers. This should come off as obvious, but Dondozo specialises in the physical side. Don't take unnecessary risks and/or damage.
  • Leave Iron Defense Zamazenta :zamazenta: to Skeledirge when you can. Yes, Dondozo completely sits on it, but more often than not you'd rather conserve both your Rest and Liquidation PP for the other physical threats.
  • Don't be afraid to PP stall Roost Dragonite :dragonite:. Dragonite with Roost will take a thousand more years to kill than what it already usually does, while keeping it's Tera Normal Extreme Speed damage respectable. It's better to PP stall it than potentially waste precious Liquidation, Sleep Talk or Body press PP to no avail.
  • Kingambit :kingambit: can break through Dondozo. Despite it's massive physically defensive profile, Kingambit's Supreme Overlord paired with Black Glasses and/or Tera Dark, or Low Kick + Tera Fighting can break it. Play it smart against Gambit.
0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 146-174 (39.3 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 168-198 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 168-198 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-----SNEASLER :snseasler:-----
0 Atk Tera Fighting Dondozo Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sneasler: 138-163 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Sneasler Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo: 172-204 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tera Flying Sneasler Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo: 258-306 (51.1 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-----SLOWKING GALAR :slowking-galar:-----
0 SpA Slowking-Galar Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fighting Dondozo: 396-468 (78.5 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Grass Rillaboom: 96-113 (28.1 - 33.1%) -- 88.8% chance to 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Grass Rillaboom: 144-169 (42.2 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 324-384 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 356-422 (70.6 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 534-630 (105.9 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 267-315 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 356-420 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

-----ALL OGERPON :ogerpon::ogerpon-cornerstone::ogerpon-wellspring:-----
252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 102-120 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 102-120 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- 32.2% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Ogerpon Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 306-360 (60.7 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 290-344 (57.5 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo: 145-172 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 1.8% chance to 3HKO (always 2hkos)
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 378-446 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 182-216 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 236-282 (46.8 - 55.9%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Same deal for cornerstone

-----DRAGONITE :dragonite:-----
252+ Atk Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 97-115 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO

-----KINGAMBIT :kingambit:-----
252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 300-356 (74.2 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 300-356 (87.9 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 103-123 (20.4 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 138-164 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 153-181 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 42.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 204-242 (40.4 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 166-196 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 248-292 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 97-115 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 145-171 (28.7 - 33.9%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Tera Fighting Kingambit Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 145-172 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 1.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Fighting Kingambit Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 217-256 (43 - 50.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

:sv/blissey:
:blissey: Blissey, the 2nd mortal immortal fatass :blissey:
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball​

What do you need to know?

• Heavy Duty Boots are a must have to not get chipped down by entry hazards. Knock Off is awful to take, but sometimes there's no choice when faced with Boots Thundurus-Therian :thundurus-therian:.
  • Natural Cure allows you to remove status upon switching out. This means you can more comfortable switch into some mons such as Glimmora :glimmora:.
  • Stealth Rock is a good compliement to Gliscor's Spikes that not only stacks more passive damage but especially hits Iron Moth :iron-moth:, Enamorus :enamorus: Choice Specs Thundurus-T :thundurus-therian: and others.
  • Calm Mind is a MUST HAVE to reliably counter Iron Moth :iron-moth:'s Fiery Dance and Gholdengo :gholdengo:'s Nasty Plot.
  • Shadow Ball hits almost everything neutrally and hits Gholdengo :gholdengo: for super effective damage, so it's our attack of choice.
  • Tera Dark is the only thing standing between you and Psyshock Nasty Plot Gholdengo :gholdengo: on the long term, since Skeledirge isn't fond of switching into Shadow Ball.
  • 252 Def is, once more, for Gholdengo :gholdengo: with Psyshock, since investing into defense gives better returns than HP.
  • Soft Boiled is your reliable recovery.
Usage tips

• Scout Gholdego :gholdengo:'s set and keep in mind the damage it can do. Check the calcs section, it'll be the first ones there.
    • Did it take entry hazard damage? If it did not, it's Boots. These don't usually run Psyshock as they prefer Hex or Recover sets, but you'll be able to tell after one Calm Mind + Shadow Ball thrown off depending on their reaction. They won't stay in if they can't break you.
    • If it did not, check if it's leftovers. Same deal as with boots if it is.
    • Check for Air Balloon. Players who love clicking the Skip Turn button might want to mentally take in this one.
    • If there are no hazards up or if it took damage and is not Leftovers or Balloon... we have a problem. Gholdengo can often be Choice Specs or Choice Scarf. Usually, i like to go Gliscor to minimize the damage Trick might do. In case it's Scarf it's alright, since Gliscor can live Make It Rain, but not if it's Specs. Having Blissey tricked can be an immediate loss since there are some cores (+ Tera Psychic Iron Moth :iron-moth:, Choice Specs Enamorus :enamorus:, Nasty Plot Thundurus-T :thundurus-therian:, to name a few) you will not be able to play around with just Skeledirge. You NEED Calm Mind + Soft Boiled to beat them. At this point, judge what your team needs the least, switch it in and pray you didn't make a huge misplay to any gods that might hear your pleas, because Gholdengo sure won't.
      • It can also be Covert Cloak sometimes, which is effectively no item with this team. But that's a rather rare pick.
    • Only use Tera Dark when you absolutely need to.
    • Boosted Make It Rain can still put a dent on you. Don't underestimate it.
    • Always go for the 2HKO on offensive Gholdengo at +1. Getting it out of the way ASAP reduces Soft Boiled usage greatly and damages switch-ins. This is the most likely one to carry Psyshock.
      • If it uses it's Tera, go for the 3HKO.
  • Be mindful of Soft Boiled's 8 PP. It's very little PP, and you may face multiple special threats that your team will greatly rely on Blissey to beat. Don't use more than you absolutely have to. A good way to mitigate Soft Boliled usage is to stack Calm Minds, even when you don't need them. Your opponents might be in a situation where switching out would be detrimental. Like i said with Dondozo, you can also try to fall back on Skeledirge to check things such as Iron Moth if you're afraid of consuming too much PP. Tera Fairy Specs Enamorus :enamorus: will pose a massive problem that you'll need both Blissey and Dirge to deal with, so keeping your PP up is necessary.
  • Knock Off can be ruinous. If faced with a multitude of hazard immune special threats (mainly boots users), being slapped with a Knock Off directly to the nutsack may immediately decide who wins. Avoid being knocked at all costs. Against HDB Thundurus-T :thundurus-therian: your best bet is to stack Calm Minds with Clefable and sweep, given the opportunity.
  • Don't use Blissey to check Manaphy :manaphy: long term. Use Skeledirge instead. This eats your Tera, but Blissey can't actually check it well (runs out of PP before knocking Take Heart out) and loses to a crit. You can and should, however, try to set up Stealth Rock in case it's a Take Heart set. Tail glow can rapidly spiral out of control and you don't want to take more damage than you need to.
  • Volt Switch users are very annoying if you let them do their thing. When both Zapdos and Thundurus-T threaten to 2HKO or OHKO Gliscor, you relly don't want to let them get a chance to nail it in. However, it's necessary to be agressive and predict their Volt Switch to not only waste PP but deny some momentum. At times, i find that the best play may even be to risk it all and go for the Toxic/Knock Off. Otherwise, your 8 PP on Soft Boiled will be drained fast.
-----GHOLDENGO :gholdengo:-----
+1 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 146-174 (46.3 - 55.2%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fighting Gholdengo: 73-87 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 73.8% chance to 4HKO
+3 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fighting Gholdengo: 122-144 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 100-118 (26.4 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 146-174 (38.6 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 232-274 (35.5 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 386-457 (59.2 - 70%) -- not a KO
+4 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 348-411 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 580-685 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 775-913 (118.8 - 140%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns
+4 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. +1 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 388-458 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- not a KO
+4 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. +2 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 292-345 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- not a KO
252 SpA Gholdengo Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 176-208 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 351-414 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 SpA Gholdengo Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 527-620 (80.8 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

---ENAMORUS :enamorus:-----
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Fairy Enamorus Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 186-220 (28.5 - 33.7%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO

-----IRON MOTH :iron-moth:-----
0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 42-50 (13.9 - 16.6%) -- possible 7HKO
+1 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 63-75 (20.9 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
+2 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 84-99 (27.9 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+3 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 105-124 (34.8 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+4 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 125-148 (41.5 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+5 0 SpA Blissey Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 146-172 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 81-96 (12.4 - 14.7%) -- possible 7HKO
+1 252 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 121-144 (18.5 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 160-190 (24.5 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
Don't let them boost more than 2 stages above you.

-----MANAPHY :manaphy:-----
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 178-211 (27.3 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 286-337 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. +1 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 190-225 (29.1 - 34.5%) -- 5.8% chance to 3HKO
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 159-187 (24.3 - 28.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 255-300 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. +1 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 169-201 (25.9 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey on a critical hit: 382-450 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey on a critical hit: 429-505 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You don't have the PP to take it on. You're also setting yourself up for a crit.

:sv/chesnaught:
:chesnaught: Chesnaught, the Toucher of Grass :chesnaught:
Chesnaught @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Bulletproof
Tera Type: Fighting
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Synthesis
- Body Press
- Spiky Shield​

• Heavy Duty Boots prevents hazards from damaging you.
  • Bulletproof blocks Shadow Ball, Pyro Ball, Sludge Bomb & Acid Spray. Highly useful.
  • Tera Fighting boosts Body Press and removes your Ice weakness while retaining some of it's defensive utility. It's kinda hard to choose a Tera for this guy, since you'll almost never use it.
  • Knock Off complements Gliscor's own to form a knock spam core and guarantee hazard damage. If you aren't knocking off their boots you're forcing in something that takes the knock better into hazards, which is a win no matter what.
  • Synthesis is your best reliable recovery option, boosted by sun if you happen to play against it.
  • STAB Body Press coming off of Chesnaught's 377 Defense will hit hard even through resists.
  • Spiky Shield is a useful tool to scout common Choice users such as Walking Wake :walking-wake:, Dragapult :dragapult: and Gholdengo :gholdengo:, among others. It also punishes the many common contact moves like U-turn, Drain Punch, Knock Off, Ice Spinner, Bitter Blade and Infestation. Every % matters.
  • The EVs are arranged to maximize physical defensive prowess, seeing how Chesnaught's main targets are Rillaboom :rillaboom: and Ogerpon formes :ogerpon::ogerpon-wellspring::ogerpon-cornerstone:

Usage Tips
  • Be aggressive with your plays. Chesnaught's Body Press has a very high raw damage output, all things considered, able to 2HKO Ogerpon-W :ogerpon-wellspring: and Cinderace :cinderace:, 3/2HKO Rillaboom:rillaboom: after slight chip damage. You should make the most out of it against offensive teams through switch-in punishing. If the opponent isn't using many Pokémon capable of staying for long over the course of the game or resisting Fighting, going straight for a KO might be a better idea rather than chipping them slowly with hazards. Knock Off is also a no-risk high reward move against fatter teams that you shouldn't have much trouble spamming. Predicting the Gholdengo:gholdengo: or Dragapult :Dragapult: thinking they can come in safely is huge.
  • Don't stay in against Cinderace:cinderace:. Will-O-Wisp permanently hinders your good grasses and switch-in punish potential and forces you to use Synthesis more often. If you feel like it's a worthwhile trade however, feel free to go for a Knock.
    • Potential bonus funny points if your opponent doesn't know Bulletproof blocks Pyro Ball.
  • Always come in on Ogerpon:ogerpon::ogerpon-wellspring::ogerpon-cornerstone: and Rillaboom :rillaboom:. This is the main reason Chesnaught is in the team to begin with; it's a stellar answer to these guys who Dondozo would not dare touch with a pole. Band Ogerpon does a measly maximum of 22.6% with Ivy Cudgel, and it's only option is Play Rough, who can be punished by Spiky Shield before going into Dondozo and punishing their next switch-in. Afterward you can resort to mindgames and such to mess with your opponent and keep everyone healthy, alternating between Gliscor and Chesnaught. Masked forms do a pitiful maximum of 36% at +2 Attack with their Cudgel. Rillaboom's Wood Hammer does more, but it's Grassy Terrain helps offset some of the damage dealt for more breathing room. Spiky Shield mindgames are great against Swords Dance variants, but your focus should still be going for the 2/3HKO with Body Press. Knock Off sucks to take however, and against Balance is a huge handicap. Assess first if the opposing Ogerpon or Rillaboom is running it, but often times you'll still be forced to use Chesnaught to check it, so put effort into managing it.
  • Tusk :great-tusk: can still do good damage with Ice Spinner. Don't overdo it against that guy. Proto Atk is still something you should leave to Dondozo to handle.
  • Don't be afraid of taking on Kingambit :kingambit:. Chesnaught checks non late game Gambit better thanks to it's innate Dark Resist, fighting STAB which will OHKO any and all Kingambit that dare stay in against this guy, and lesser weight (Low Kick is only 80 BP whereas vs Dondozo it's 120). The (somewhat) uncommon Tera Blast Fairy/Flying/Fire/etc pose a problem, so my suggestion is to be conservative and use Spiky Shield instead of going for the kill/switch-in punish if the enemy team also includes Rillaboom :rillaboom: and/or Ogerpon-Wellspring :ogerpon-wellspring:. Keep in mind that Chesnaught does not possess Unaware and as such Dondozo is better to switch into it if it tries to Swords Dance. In the particular case of Tera Fairy, just switch into Dozo since you'll be turned into setup fodder. In the case of Tera Dark, your OHKO is turned into a 2HKO, which may make a difference, so keep it in mind. As is with everything, Supreme Overlord makes Gambit harder to check in the long term but you'll probably do just fine anyway. Trust.
  • Leave Dragonite for Dondozo to handle. Chesnaught can't deal with it.
-----OGERPON :ogerpon::ogerpon-wellspring::ogerpon-cornerstone:-----
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 160-189 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Ogerpon Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 72-86 (18.9 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ogerpon Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 174-206 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 69-82 (18.1 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 58-69 (15.2 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 116-137 (30.5 - 36%) -- 47.4% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 139-164 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 58-69 (15.2 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 69-82 (18.1 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 116-137 (30.5 - 36%) -- 47.4% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 139-164 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 150-177 (43.9 - 51.9%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after 2 layers of Spikes and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rillaboom: 151-178 (37.3 - 44%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught in Grassy Terrain: 127-150 (33.4 - 39.4%) -- 20.9% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 82-97 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught in Grassy Terrain: 85-101 (22.3 - 26.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught in Grassy Terrain: 170-201 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

-----CINDERACE :cinderace:-----
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 175-207 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 109-130 (25.1 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

4 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 120-142 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 85.6% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 135-159 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 124-147 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 112-132 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 8.8% chance to 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 186-219 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 166-196 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
+1 4 Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 153-181 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 4 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 136-162 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-----KINGAMBIT :kingambit:-----
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 472-556 (138.4 - 163%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 472-556 (116.8 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Dark Kingambit: 236-278 (69.2 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tera Dark Kingambit: 236-278 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 93-111 (24.4 - 29.2%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 62-74 (16.3 - 19.4%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Tera Fighting Kingambit Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 93-111 (24.4 - 29.2%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 73-87 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 139-165 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Fighting Kingambit Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 139-165 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 119-140 (31.3 - 36.8%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 59-70 (15.5 - 18.4%) -- possible 6HKO

Last edited:
2/2

:sv/clefable:
:clefable: Clefable, the GLUUUUUUUUUUE :clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Water
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast​

What do i need to know?

• Magic Guard makes it a good status absorber as well as a complete hazard immunity that does not rely on it's item, making it a good Knock Off abosrber. Leftovers is the best item for long term healing.
  • Tera Water gives you the key Steel resist while remaining neutral to most necessary threats.
  • Wish is the only way you'll have to bring weakened teammates back into the fight, otherwise something below 25% will always be deas weight. It also has double (16) PP compared to Moonlight and is not influenced by weather.
  • Protect is good to squeeze more HP out of Leftovers and guarantee the Wish heal.
  • Moonblast threatens to OHKO Great Tusk :great-tusk: and some Dragapult :dragapult: after minimal hazard damage. STAB turns it into the best offensive option.
  • Calm Mind allows you to either threaten out things like Garganacl :garganacl: and Gliscor :gliscor: or eat away their PP, damaging their switchin and possibly generating momentum as well. In some cases, it can permit Clefable to be a late game sweeper.
  • EVs maximize physical defense, as attackers like Cinderace :cinderace:, Weavile :weavile:, setup Garganacl :garganacl:, Great Tusk :great-tusk: and Ogerpon :ogerpon: :ogerpon-wellspring: :ogerpon-cornerstone: are your primary targets.

Usage Tips

• Clefable is not a sponge. Clefable does not have the immense bulk of Blissey, Dondozo or Chesnaught. It can't take most hits very well on the special side without some Calm Minds, and even less on the physical spectrum. Keep this in mind
  • Play your wishes smart. Wish has 16 PP, a very limited number of uses when you consider how stall plays. Furthermore, it's your only tool to bring a severely injured teammate back into the fray, which requires a lot of prediction & just generally outplaying your opponent. This isn't something i can begin to explain, i think it's something you'll need to get accustomed to, since it may be hard to pull off against very fast paced HO teams. Not that you should rely on it in the first place, it's just a last resort you can sometimes perform if you need to. Your opponent can also pick up on what you're attemping, so try to keep the elemet of surprise if possible through agressive plays.
  • Playing against Heatran:heatran:: Heatran is an excellent stallbreaker that you need a strategy going into to succeed against. How you fight it will depend entirely on it's set:
    • Does it have Taunt? If the answer is NO, then go Clefable and start stacking Calm Minds while keeping yourself healthy with Wish. Eventually, Magma Storm will simply run out of PP and there is nothing most Heatran can do against Gliscor at that point, since they mostly run Earth Power alongside Stealth Rock and Will-O-Wisp.
    • If it does have Taunt, hop between Skeledirge (immune to trapping) and Clefable (immune to the extra damage) to play mindgames. Grab a CM. Should be easy to PP stall it from there.
  • Is it worth it going for the Moonblast on Ogerpon :ogerpon::ogerpon-wellspring::ogerpon-cornerstone:? Cocky Ogerpon may come in on Clefable, thinking they force it out or grab a free Swords Dance. This is NOT the case. Wellspring and Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel do a maximum of zxzz without a crit, while unboosted Moonblast will do a minnimum of ~34. Stall SHOULD play agressively if it can, and this is a great opportunity to do so, since most Ogerpon either pack no recovery at all or rely on Horn Leech, whose returns on Chesnaught won't amount to much.
  • Playing against Garganacl:garganacl:: Garganacl can be very hard to deal with for teams that aren't prepared for it. Fortunately, Magic Guard denies Garganacl's main mean of disruption, Salt Cure's added damage, without the need of Covert Cloak which some Stall teams may resort to. This doesn't mean you sit on it, however. Garganacl almost always runs setup, be it Iron Defense + Body Press or Curse + Earthquake, and Clefable cannot afford to ignore that forever. That means that setting up 2/3 Calm Minds in order to threaten the 2HKO should be your objective when Garg comes in. BEWARE THE BLOCK VARIANTS, these can and will set up on any other mon on your team until its at +6 defense and attack. Don't try to set up some extra Spikes, go straight into Clefable.
  • Playing against Gliscor :gliscor:: Clefable is one of the best Gliscor abusers in current OU. It does not take much from Earthquake and does not particularly mind Knock Off, while nulling Toxic and all hazard damage. You can and SHOULD come in on it to grab a Calm Mind. My personal reccomendation is switch -> Moonblast -> Calm Mind -> Moonblast. The first moonblast chips whatever comes in in case Gliscor :gliscor: switches out, but often entices them to Protect before switching to keep the bat always healthy, since the damage might make a difference. Baiting this Protect allows you to grab a punishing Calm Mind, turning Moonblast into a 2HKO on Gliscor :gliscor: and doing great damage to non resist switchins afterward.
  • Playing against Toxapex :toxapex:: usually, Toxapex is a free switch. You can infinitely sit on Haze sets, draining Recover PP with Calm Mind boosted Moonblasts while ignoring Toxic and Infestation's chip. This can be a good opportunity to get off some Wishes that bring crippled teammates back into the fight. Be careful, however, as some opponents might still use the old offensive sets with Assault Vest. These will trap you with Infestation and proceed to spam Acid Spray, rapidly curving up the damage you recieve. Protect wish as much as you can to keep Clefable healthy even after Infestation wears out. When it does, switch into Chesnaught. Bulletproof negates both Sludge Bomb and Acid Spray. More detail on Chesnaught's Usage Tips.
  • Playing the Clefable :clefable: mirror: First, figure out their ability by using a Calm Mind boosted Moonblast and comparing the damage it did. If it's Unware, you can try to get off a Toxic and/or Knock Off from Gliscor if it didn't Calm Mind itself before going into Skeledirge, but if it's Magic Guard just go straight to Dirge, who resists Fairy, and whose Torch Song is not something Clefable can handle.
  • Late game sweeping via abusing and PP stalling Cinderace:cinderace:: Jolly Cinderace's Pyro Ball does not always 2HKO Clefable. You can alternate between Wish, Calm Mind and Protect until it uses all of Pyro's 8 PP. Cinderace does not run Gunk shot often anymore in favor of tools like Will-O-Wisp and Court Change. This means that once it runs out, it's effectively deas weight. If you manage to put yourself in a position where clefable offensively threatens everything else in the enemy team once set up, don't be afraid of trying to get into Cinderace. It can be highly rewarding in the late-game.
  • Don't challenge Gholdengo:gholdengo:. Make It Rain still does way too much at +1 SpD. You'll get 2HKOd or way too crippled to do anything with clefable afterward. Rely on Blissey instead. Unless you REALLY want to take it out, in which case Tera Water will resist it's attack and from there you should be able to smoothly handle it.
  • Flipping the tables on Sneasler:sneasler:: Sneasler's very fair and balanced Dire Claw does not threaten an OHKO on Clefable. If you're afraid of what it can do later on, or if you believe you can predict an oncoming Swords Dance, you can go for the kill if you're already boosted up. Some Sneasler have started running Gunk Shot as an alternate STAB option, which will likely OHKO Clefable. Make sure you know what it's running before attempting this.
-----HEATRAN :heatran:-----
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 147-174 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 107-127 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- 58.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 89-105 (22.5 - 26.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 288-338 (73 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-----OGERPON :ogerpon::ogerpon-wellspring::ogerpon-cornerstone:-----
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Any Ogerpon: 102-120 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Ogerpon Ivy Cudgel vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 459-540 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 163-193 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 163-193 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-----GARGANACL :garganacl:-----
+4 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl: 226-267 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garganacl: 213-252 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Garganacl: 235-277 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252+ Def Garganacl Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 167-197 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 252+ Def Garganacl Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 126-148 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Garganacl Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 126-149 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 0 Atk Garganacl Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 0 Atk Garganacl Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 251-296 (63.7 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-----GLISCOR :gliscor:-----
+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Gliscor: 184-217 (51.9 - 61.2%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 91-108 (23 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

-----GHOLDENGO :gholdengo:-----
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 434-512 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 290-344 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 484-574 (122.8 - 145.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery

-----SNEASLER :sneasler:-----
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasler: 237-279 (78.7 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasler: 237-279 (78.7 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasler: 237-279 (78.7 - 92.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasler: 237-279 (78.7 - 92.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

252+ Atk Sneasler Dire Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 254-300 (64.4 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sneasler Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 378-446 (95.9 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

:sv/skeledirge:

:skeledirge: Skeledirge, the Understander of Exponential Functions "Oh but that's not how boosts wor-" Shut Up :skeledirge:

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp​

• HDB, as always, prevent hazard damage from becoming a problem yada yada yada
  • Unaware lets Skeledirge take on boosted Special threats like Clefable :clefable:, Sub CM Enamorus :enamorus: and Manaphy :manaphy:.
  • Tera Water resists Fire, Water and Grass, potentially letting Skeledirge flip the tables on the likes of Ogerpon-W :ogerpon-wellspring:, Great Tusk:great-tusk:, helps against Enamorus' :enamorus: and Heatran's :heatran: Earth Power, resists Manaphy's :manaphy: Surf/Scald and keeps the Fire resistance against Cinderace :cinderace:, Heatran and Iron Moth :iron-moth:, and removes the Ghost & Dark weaknesses while keeping the Steel resistance.
  • Shadow Ball is a great secondary STAB option that still hits Gholdengo :gholdengo: super effectively, but unlike Torch Song ensures Dragapult :dragapult: attemping to make a cheeky switch-in take a nasty hit instead, while other Pokémon like Heatran :heatran: and Walking Wake :walking-wake: who would null (in case of Wake, a 4x resist) Torch Song are at least hit neutrally. Unlike Hex, it does not require you to status your opponent first for it to have a good damage output. You might think that, in stall, you're more likely to have your opponents statused than not, but due to the very fast-paced and offensive nature of this metagame this is not the case. That's why i believe Shadow Ball to be the superior option.
  • Torch Song is a broken move that boosts your SpAtk with every use. If not for Skeledirge's slow Speed, it would become an undisputed excellent sweeper. For better or worse, it instead comes with good bulk, so it has plenty of opportunities to ramp up the threat it poses if danced around. This is a particularly great tool for late game cleaning against balance or opposing stall. Otherwise it's still great at putting down pressure against bulkier teams. As a sound-based move, it also has the bonus of hitting through Substitute, particularly useful against Enamorus :enamorus: and Zamazenta :zamazenta:.
  • Slack Off is your reliable recovery.
  • Will-O-Wisp can be great to cripple physical Pokémon on the switch-in against aggressive opponents or to completely sit on them.
Usage Tips
  • Avoid leaving Skeledirge to deal with physical threats. This Skeledirge is built to be a SPECIAL wall, not a physical one. Trying to use it as, say, a Gambit :kingambit: check will not work.
  • THIS IS YOUR MANAPHY :manaphy: ANSWER. Conserve it to the best of your ability until it's been dealt with, because your win depends on it. Yes, you do require a Tera to beat it, but it's the only thing capable of performing that on this team. Manaphy is a MONSTER, and there is quite literally no viable defensive answer to both Tail Glow and Take Heart Acid Armor sets that does not eat up your tera, since Blissey gets PP stalled and instantly dies to a crit, losing the match on the spot. To KO manaphy, you can use Torch Song followed by 2 more of either Shadow Ball or Torch Song. You can mix and match depending on whether you think your oponent will sacrifice Manaphy or attempt conserving it. Pick whichever options punish their switch-ins best.
  • Why not Toxapex? Other stall teams probably use Tera Steel Toxapex to deal with it, but i find that Skeledirge generally offers much more than Toxapex's passivity and lack of direct damage against Steel- and Poison-types.
  • Be careful trying to come in on a freshly switched Specs Enamorus :enamorus:. You don't want to get predicted and get hit with Earth Power's high chance for a 2HKO (63.5-75.2%), even if you Tera immediately after (31.7-37.6%). After the first switch into Dirge, go Blissey to make sure you don't get obliterated, because Specs Enamorus nukes everything else. It's also not a good idea to use your Tera against it, since you'll lose the Fairy resistance and completely invalidate Dirge as an Enamorus answer (guaranteed 2HKO from Moonblast after using Tera) even if you are now neutral to Earth Power. Tera Fairy Enam is also particularly bad to face because it means your Slack Off PP is consumed much faster.
  • Avoid Knock Off at all costs. Skeledirge's Fire type means that it'll take a way too big 25% damage from Stealth Rock on switch-in instead of the usual 12.5%. With the 3 layers of Spikes you'll often be dealing with, that's a massive 50% damage on switch-in after losing Boots. Ideally, you really do not want to use your Tera just to keep Dirge alive.
  • Zamazenta :zamazenta: is manageable. If you believe that, for some reason, you'll be at an advantage if you can get some SpAttack boosts, you may attempt to come in on non-band Zamazenta and using Will-O-Wisp, bringing down it's damage to a maximum of 23.3% with Crunch. Beware the Defense drops, as Unaware does not ignore those. Choice Band is a no-go, don't come in or it eats gator meat for breakfast with a correct prediction. Substitute prevents Will-O-Wisp from ever hitting, so don't go coming in on those expecting to set up on them for free either, though it is achievable if you use your Tera, but i don't generally reccomend it.
  • The awkward Skeledirge:skeledirge: mirror: Sometimes, the best answer your opponent (or you!) may have for Skeledirge... is your own. Skeledirge can either break through Blissey or eat most of it's Soft Boiled PP, so coming in and using your own to dance around it is not that bad of an idea. I don't reccomend spending your Tera for this situation, as if you do you get beaten by Hex sets.
  • Toxapex :toxapex:? No thanks. This is another one of those that might come off as obvious to some, but just in case: don't EVER attempt staying in or even to try using Slack Off in the face of Toxapex. Infestation wears you down fast, and it's practically a KO when you get poisoned, be it by Toxic or Sludge Bomb + Surf.
-----MANAPHY :manaphy:-----
0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 46-55 (13.4 - 16.1%)
+1 0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 141-166 (41.3 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 93-110 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- 55.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 186-220 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 212-252 (51.4 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 188-224 (45.6 - 54.3%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 53-63 (12.8 - 15.2%) -- possible 7HKO
252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 47-56 (11.4 - 13.5%) -- possible 8HKO

-----ENAMORUS :enamorus:-----
0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 112-133 (38.7 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 112-133 (38.7 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 168-198 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 168-198 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 103-122 (25 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 207-244 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 262-310 (63.5 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 131-155 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Fairy Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 138-163 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Fairy Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 276-326 (66.9 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-----ZAMAZENTA :zamazenta:-----
0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zamazenta: 84-99 (25.8 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zamazenta: 84-99 (25.8 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zamazenta: 124-147 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zamazenta: 124-147 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Zamazenta Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skeledirge: 162-192 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk burned Zamazenta Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skeledirge: 81-96 (19.6 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Zamazenta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skeledirge: 204-240 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk burned Zamazenta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skeledirge: 102-120 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skeledirge: 244-288 (59.2 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Skeledirge: 304-358 (73.7 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-----SKELEDIRGE :skeledirge:-----
0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 41-48 (9.9 - 11.6%) -- possible 9HKO
0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 164-194 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Skeledirge Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 134-158 (32.5 - 38.3%) -- 98% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Skeledirge Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 132-156 (32 - 37.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
0 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 82-97 (19.9 - 23.5%) -- possible 5HKO

LAST BUT VERY MUCH NOT LEAST

:sv/ursaluna:
I present to you, The Bastard.​

This guy is THE stall demolisher. I cannot express how much Ursaluna sucks to fight against as any stall team. If there ever was an "autowin mon", this is definetely it.

Why it sucks
  • Facade 2HKOs anyone on your team, OHKOing Blissey and sometimes Clefable. You bet Tera Normal will OHKO everyone not Dirge and will leave Dozo practically dead, not that it matters since you're slower.
  • Headlong Rush 2HKOs Blissey and Clefable, OHKOs Skeledirge.
  • Immune to Toxic after proccing Flame Orb.
-----GLISCOR :gliscor:-----
0 Atk Gliscor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 64-76 (13.7 - 16.3%) -- possible 5HKO after burn damage
0 Atk Gliscor Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 44-52 (9.4 - 11.2%) -- possible 9HKO

252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 246-289 (69.4 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 328-386 (92.6 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

-----BLISSEY :blissey:
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 787-927 (120.7 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 562-663 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Headlong Rush vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 675-795 (103.5 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 1050-1236 (161 - 189.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----DONDOZO :dondozo:-----
0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 176-210 (37.9 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 170-200 (36.6 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage

0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Normal Ursaluna: 88-105 (18.9 - 22.6%) -- 79.5% chance to 4HKO after burn damage
252+ Def Tera Fighting Dondozo Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 254-300 (54.7 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 261-307 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 186-220 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 223-264 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 348-410 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-----Chesnaught :chesnaught:-----
252+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Normal Ursaluna: 264-312 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 249-294 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 89-105 (23.4 - 27.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 106-126 (27.8 - 33.1%) -- 89.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 332-392 (87.3 - 103.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

-----Clefable :clefable:-----
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tera Normal Ursaluna: 118-141 (25.4 - 30.3%) -- 8.5% chance to 3HKO after burn damage

252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 249-294 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 298-352 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 464-548 (117.7 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-----SKELEDIRGE :skeledirge:-----
0 SpA Skeledirge Torch Song vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ursaluna: 112-133 (24.1 - 28.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after burn damage

252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 570-672 (138.3 - 163.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 680-804 (165 - 195.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Skeledirge: 397-468 (96.3 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Skeledirge: 285-336 (69.1 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Skeledirge: 340-402 (82.5 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Skeledirge: 530-624 (128.6 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

How to play against Ursaluna :ursaluna:?

As you can tell from the calcs above, this thing is a nightmare to face. It WILL blow holes through your team if not handled with the utmost care, holes that might open up for teammates like Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Zapdos or Kingambit to finish the job. AVOID TAKING MORE DAMAGE THAN YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO.
  • Knocking Off Ursaluna :ursaluna: before it getting burnt permanently nulls most of the threat it poses. But your opponent knows this, and no good player will ever let you do it. Gliscor definetely can deter it from coming in.
    • Alternatively, getting a Toxic on it also makes it much more manageable as it's damage over time matters much more.
  • DANCE AROUND IT WITH SKELEDIRGE AND GLISCOR. Skeledirge is immune to Normal while Gliscor is immune to Ground, both don't care about the Drain Punch it might slot in for coverage and healing. You can predict what it's going to do and use these 2 to slowly get in the necessary damage to go for the KO with something else. Don't just swap between these 2 endlessly, or else you're going to be very predictable with your plays. Gliscor's protect is a free 6.25% damage from burn. It will be significant.
  • Chesnaught outspeeds Adamant Ursaluna with < 112 Speed EVs and 2HKOs it with Body Press, though it can't come in on Guts-boosted Facade.
  • Skeledirge also outspeeds Adamant Ursaluna with < 128 Speed EVs and does considerable damage with Torch Song.
  • Dondozo also 2HKOs with 2 turns of burn damage.
This is anything but an easy matchup. It's by far the hardest one to play against, and this is not counting Swords Dance sets, where your already little room for error becomes practically nonexistent. Best of luck if you do encounter one.

Thank you!

Sorry if it's not very detailed, but that's all i've got to say for this team. I didn't think of saving any particular replays or anything, and didn't try to go for a high placement. I really just wanted to get it over with. It's my first time doing one of these posts.

Looking back though, the considerable mental pain this suspect exerted on me actually was nice to an extent, since i ended up creating a team that can put in work and achieve results, even with a middling at best player like me using it.

If you've got any questions or want to call me slurs over this (you know who you are), my PMs are open both here or on Discord (@chlora_). You can also just post in this thread.

Last edited:
(technically still part of it, since it was written together.)

Whether you read through my walls of text or just scrolled down, why not hear about my deranged ramblings about the state of SVOU while you're here?

Before anything is said, know i voted to ban Gliscor [see my vote here].
As i said in my voter identification post [here], i absolutely loathed the state of SV OU before the Gliscor ban, and now it only got worse.

"So why did you vote to ban it lmfao"
It was a conscious decision i do not regret at all. In my opinion, Gliscor is a great example of "broken checks broken". Without Gliscor's ability to heal without losing PP and 2 built in immunities as well as not caring for Spikes, i do wholeheartedly believe that stall becomes near unplayable (balance becomes much worse as well) until more offensive Pokémon get banned too, but regardless to me it's very overcentralizing, to the point that not running Gliscor on a non pure offense team is likely putting yourself at a severe disadvantage. It has 2 switch-ins, or 2 Pokémon that don't mind whatever it does: Corviknight (it sucks. there's no point to it when Gholdengo singlehandedly throws away almost everything it wants to do, both for team support and considerable offensive capabilities) and... Gliscor itself. There's simply no other Pokémon that 1) does not care for spikes, 2) does not care for Knock Off much and 3) does not care for Toxic. And this is only taking into account Knock Spikes sets, because you've also got Earthquake, Swords Dance Facade, Substitute, and whatever else it can run. Only these 2 and these 2 alone can RELIABLY answer Gliscor's sets. And that's not even true, because Gliscor doesn't answer Swords Dance Gliscor. So we're left with Corviknight for a good check that's still reliant on not getting PP stalled, and, again, is a very bad mon to use in current OU because it does not bring much of value and is generally too passive and thus exploitable. I'm not a tiering expert, but this is what i'd consider a broken defensive mon.
But at the same time, it's fat teams' glue. The PP nerfs to recovery moves alongside the powercreep and poor balance decisions on Gamefreak's part were the nail in the coffin for 6s singles bulkier teams. Yeah, none of this is Smogon's or the OU Council's fault, just putting it out there because it feels appropriate i guess. Anyway. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Gliscor wasn't considered broken in USUM or a simmilar prior meta because unlike in generation 9 it differs in 3 ways: 1) doesn't do everything all at once (it didn't get Spikes back then), 2) there was more varied defensive counterplay (such as Skarmory and Steela, maybe even Fini support) and 3) there was actual hazard removal. Yeah, we're getting to that part.
You can't talk honestly about Gliscor without talking about Gholdengo. I don't think that the combo is what makes it broken, i think that it's just particularly great at unveiling Spikes Gliscor's maximum possible potential. Because of Gholdengo's sole existence and lack of Defog users that can do anything in the face of it but also aren't limited to specific playstyles (like Talonflame) means you're pretty much only ever going to get removal out of Rapid Spin, a move blocked by the popular Ghost-type... you guessed it. Gholdengo. Yes, Great Tusk, one of the two (arguably the only one) viable users of Rapid Spin, threatens Gholdengo. But then Gholdengo adapts back with Air balloon, getting into mindgames that you don't even know are necessary because other items are still as good, and you remember that Gholdengo isn't the only Ghost in the tier. And then you ALSO remember that there's a funny new mechanic that lets you become a Ghost-Type whenever you want. Then what? What's Tusk going to realistically do against that in the long run, on top of it lacking reliable recovery, being chipped by hazards and vulnerable to Gliscor's Toxic, who it doesn't even threaten to OHKO without Band? Honestly, i don't know. And i'd love to hear some definitive answers, i may change my mind, but i doubt it because i doubt that there are any concrete answers to my question in the first place.
So, moving beyond the theory and back to reality... Since we've created a primarily offense focused metagame... how do we, on HO, deal with the offense mirrors? Sure, we can prep individual mons, but wouldn't it be better to run a general answer to avoid potentially losing the jump on something else as a result, especially now that Tera allows that to a MUCH bigger degree? ...How about we run Sticky Webs? They're an excellent tool for HO teams that will greatly easen the HO mirror via outspeeding the opponent. Yeah, that sounds like a coherent and logical train of thought to enhance HO's chance at success. So, how do non stall teams like... remove the Webs? You know, the... reliable counterplay that isn't also running webs of your own. If your answer was "use Cinderace :cinderace:", i invite you to look at the 5th line on why i think Gholdengo should be banned a little below (just 2 sections).
I'm not well versed enough to speak of this any further. So anyway.

Generation 9 has also introduced IMMENSE raw powercreep: out of every fully evolved non-box legendary that Scarlet & Violet introduced, we are currently sitting at 10/73, or ~13.7% of the fully evolved gen 9 inclusions being banned (excluding miraidon/koraidon, counting Ogerpon as one). This is an unprecedented number that will definetely rise soon, not because of DLC 2, but instead thanks to there still residing in OU Pokémon i would very much consider broken or unhealthy for the tier, such as Gholdengo, Kingambit and Ogerpon-Wellspring, on the gen 9 dex alone. Let me elaborate a little on the things i believe should get a suspect test:

Ogerpon-W and Ogerpon-C :ogerpon-wellspring::ogerpon-cornerstone:
It's no secret that Wellspring is easily one of the top dogs at the moment. Grass + Water STAB with access to Knock Off and Play Rough is very hard to play against defensively, while offensively it has a good Speed tier and generally avoids the OHKO threat with ease from boostless, choiceless opponents. Even if did not, it's not a one-mon team. It can fall back onto it's teammates and come back in later to force a KO or a trade. Much like Volcarona (but different, obviously) it can pick what it gets checked by on the defensive side thanks to it's wide array of tools like Substitute, Horn Leech, Leech Seed, Synthesis, Knock Off and Encore.
Like we witnessed with Hearthflame :ogerpon-hearthflame:, i 100% think that if Wellspring is banned people will simply shift to using Cornerstone instead. Yes, it's theoretically worse, but in the end it's still a hard to wall STAB combination with boosting and the same support options. It's going to be the same story already told twice with a lighter tone. I believe anyway.

Gholdengo :gholdengo:
As i established 3 or so paragraphs above, i think SVOU is a hazard hellhole with or without Gliscor. And a good part of it is because this guy's ability is a broken one. I'll assume everyone here knows what it does, so let's skip that.
This mon is warping the tier around it. That's not an opinion. That's a fact.
It does so much all at once, and some of it is by simply existing. It doesn't need to be out in the field, it doesn't even need to be used on a team, just needs to exist to throw Corviknight, an otherwise good option for removal, completely out of the window and straight to the garbage bin.
Tusk or bust. Treads if you're confident on that one specific use. Then Tusk has to always run 248/252 Jolly, because it gets outsped by Gholdengo if it doesn't, and it NEEDS to outspeed it to do the job only it can do, unless you're fine with 4 layers of hazards being stacked on you (most teams aren't. who would've guessed), or the equally (if not more) ruining Sticky Web.
Yes, you can use Cinderace :cinderace:, who does show up on most if not amost all HO teams, to play the "neither of us wants to set webs now lmao" game, but like... at that point, ask yourself: Is this a healthy dynamic? Is this a healthy tier? Is one mon's mere threat of existing on my opponent's team a fair justification of the lengths at which we go to deal with the problems it brings?
Up to you to decide.
Of course, we don't know how a Ghold-less meta would be, if it would be better at all or not, but we should really explore it for the sake of making an informed decision! Not really sure how we'd go about that though. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of suspect ladders and such, but it doesn't strike me as a bad idea to let everyone get a taste.
Of course, that's only it's support utility. Because this mon is also an offensive powerhouse on it's own that, guess what, also picks it's counters. The combination of Make It Rain + Shadow Ball goes unresisted by any relevant defensive mons while possessing a good Speed tier that permits it to run Air Balloon, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf. It can also opt for defensive sets thanks to Recover, though those are worse atm.
It truly does almost everything at once, only really lacking hazards, pivoting and removal.

Kingambit :kingambit:
Another case of "broken checks broken". This thing is tolerable to me purely because HO is stupidly hard to deal with otherwise, and it's not particularly hard to cook up counterplay with the 3 (?) viable Encore users, Sucker Punch's limited PP and the need for Tera in order for Gambit to safely set up.
As we slowly deal with the other abominations on this not so very green Earth, eventually it just... has to go. Unless DLC 2 somehow raises the bar for what's considered OU good by a considerable margin, Tera paired with it's great bulk (why does this thing have 100/120/85 bulk?????) giving it plenty of opportunities for a safe-ish Swords Dance or boosting it's already enormous raw power with Tera Dark simply turns Kingambit into the predictable unpredictable killing machine we know and either hate or love. But mostly hate.
A new suspect is in order once we settle everything else + whether we really or not want Tera to stay via it's eventual retest.

Sneasler :sneasler:
A textbook strong offensive threat. Both naturally fast and strong while possessing a deadly STAB combination that goes unresisted against non Ghost- and Poison-Types, whose defensive presence is noticeably nonexistent aside from Gholdengo. It also has access to Unburden and Poison Touch alongside the teammates and tools to make the most of it: Rillaboom and Grassy Seed to maximize Unburden sweeper potential and the less seen Fake Out + U-turn combo for Poison Touch on balance. Swords Dance paired with Tera's existence will also not only let it boost itself to nuclear bomb heights with Tera Fighting Close Combat but it can also choose to run Acrobatics or Tera Blast to pick what would-be checks it wants to effortlessly get rid of. This is a very polarizing mon, and it doesn't take a SV OU expert to realize why, since Grassy Seed is effectively a more than 2x better Booster Energy when ran with the also strong on it's own Rillaboom :rillaboom: to proc Unburden, perfecting the old RillaLucha core from gen 8 (though might have been more common with Koko). Again, since defensive play has been both severely cut and is easier to take down for many reasons, Sneasler's """"""checks"""""" not named defensive Gholdengo at full HP will almost 100% need to rely predicting what attack it'll go for and using a Tera that resists it for a chance at a comeback. I don't think this mon is balanced for the current metagame at all. Should probably be suspected at the very least.

Dire Claw
I think we can all agree, regardless of our opinion on everything else, that Dire Claw is a blatantly uncompetitive move. ~16.6% individually to sleep, paralysis or poison, with a collective 50% chance for one of these effects. Playing against sneasler can be a very infuriating thing to do thanks to it's ~21% chance to have you not do anything at all in the turn you're hit by it (sleep + full para). Secondary effects aside, it's identical to Poison Jab.
"Oh, but the policy" if the policy mandates Sneasler to be banned instead over this move, then the policy probably needs to be changed to accomodate for these unprecedented scenarios. This isn't a holy scripture we're commanded to follow, much like IRL laws they are subject to change and refinement to reflect the passage of time and evolution of our society. We're witnessing for the first time a situation where an otherwise interesting and viable singlular mon has a move that is very clearly against what's considered as ok, and that will do just fine without it. Think of Houndstone in the pre HOME era. Until Basculin came around, because of the tiering policy it was banished to Ubers despite being a regular lower tier mon that no one would have a problem with otherwise, that might've found a spot and contributed towards a more developed metagame in, like, RU or something. It's not just one singular instance anymore in gen 9, so i do believe it justifies reviewing the tiering policy over.

1699986982713.png
Booster Energy
This might come off as a surprise to some, but Booster energy is not so balanced in my eyes. Fast offense mons, in the past, when sometimes forced to run Choice Scarf as part of the counterplay vs faster threats or revenge killers. Booster Energy spins the concept of Scarf's drawback and changes it to "only once". Yeah, this is a fair tradeoff in theory, but it may be a little too much when your whole playstyle mostly revolves around "have everything that comes in get as much damage as possible into the opponent's team before forcing them to KO me for free momentum". Roaring Moon :roaring-moon: was a prime example of this: Proto Atk gives you an immediate 30% increase, greatly increasing your OHKO capacity; or if they're worried about outspeeding already boosted mons like Quark Speed Moth and Iron Valiant they can run Proto Speed instead, though this was less common.
Iron Moth is probably the best example for a Booster Energy abuser: it can boost it's Speed on arrival, outspeeding every non-Scarf user below 111 base Speed without any drawbacks (not that there are any real Scarf users above base 110 anyway) and start setting up with Fiery Dance or go for Sub.
Iron Valiant does the same, but in a different flavor: it's faster, has better setup options and support tools, but is (a little) less immediately threatening.
In all three cases, you effectively null almost any direct and immediate offensive counterplay, and to Roaring Moon specifically or for offensive boosters on more daring Webs teams you've got what's essentially a Life Orb with no drawback as long as you're in, on Pokémon that are already strong without it and can easily become hard to handle or snowball out of control. Tera also plays a part in this by facilitating a safer setup or by simply hitting harder. I'm not a fan. I think we, as a community, should start to discuss this item more.

All that being said, like... this sucks? It feels like ass to play to me? I don't think it's healthy to force a very clearly predominant style on a tier. All of the things i said i think should be looked at are greatly geared toward offense, because it feels like almost all of this metagame is, in fact, hyper offense. And we're starting to reach the singularity point, when it comes to offense mirrors: hyper-specific Iron Valiant sets, Kingambit & Manaphy double reverse sweeps... Again, it's only my opinion, but i really, REALLY don't think that the metagame is in a healthy state. With Gliscor being gliscgone, offense is once more benefitted.

I forgot where i was going with this.

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I appreciate the effort, but i'm afraid you got it swapped while making this meme. I'd rather be the one on the left any day before i am the one on the right.
I mean, that's how things are, if you wanna be the guy on the left go for it, but yeah, I don't make the rules

what would you say is a replacement for Gliscor here? I tried out leftovers Mew with the same moves but it didn't work out too well

what would you say is a replacement for Gliscor here? I tried out leftovers Mew with the same moves but it didn't work out too well
There is no gliscor replacement. At the moment, stall is simply unusable, in my eyes (or at least i havent found a team that works well yet). It's unfortunate, but there's no way around it.

Gliscor was the only thing keeping stall alive - mostly it's passive recovery paired with good bulk and utility. We wouldn't need another Gliscor for stall to come back to relevancy, but we'd need something that can reliably recover over the course of a long game and poses a threat to the opposition while being hard to KO, OR a good spikes user that can also handle Tusk. Thanks to the recovery moves' PP nerf this gen, i don't think stall will make a comeback unless DLC 2 adds better mons for this style, especially some that can fit gliscor's role as a bulky spiker with reliable recovery, or if Rillaboom gets banned before DLC 1 is over, which is really not happening.

Sucks, but that's how it is

Mew would not work because it's weak to hazards and knock off. You NEED boots, but you also want leftovers to not use all 8 of your recovery PP quick. You're afraid of Tusk's knock, but some variants of it beat Clefable, so it's not reliable. It's typing is much worse defensively too, with no immunities and one relevant resistance, and 2 relevant weaknesses. It's ability is also pretty bad, imo.
I don't think it can replicate what Gliscor did.

(BTW - sorry i didn't see your post earlier)

Last edited:
It has 2 switch-ins, or 2 Pokémon that don't mind whatever it does: Corviknight (it sucks. there's no point to it when Gholdengo singlehandedly throws away almost everything it wants to do, both for team support and considerable offensive capabilities) and... Gliscor itself
I disagree with this. I feel like Clefable was a generally good Gliscor answer, however this does not mean it shouldn't have been banned. 3 reliable answers to a mon, with 1 not being that good, is not good at all. The reason why I said Clefable worked as a Gliscor answer is that 1) Clefable is immune to toxic chip while running magic guard (leagues better than unaware) 2) Clefable doesn't care about knock off too much, as it doesn't rely on boots like other walls to be immune to chip and 3) Clefable barely takes damage from earthquake/facade, and deals at least decent damage back with moonblast, not to mention learning ice beam to do more damage, and calm mind to boost itself.
3) there was actual hazard removal.
I also would like to say that this isn't that much of a point against Gliscor, as much as it is against spikes in general. As you mentioned, Gliscor didn't even have spikes prior to Gen 9. Even then, Gliscor wasn't even used much for stealth rocks as much as something like Landorus-Therian (15% vs 85% at the start of the gen, 25% vs 51% at the end of the gen) in Gen 7. In Gen 6, it wasn't even recommended by Smogon to use stealth rocks Gliscor, with the only recommended set being SD. Spikes weren't overbearing prior to Gen 9 not only because of reliable hazard removal, but the small distribution of Pokémon with spikes.

I feel like Clefable was a generally good Gliscor answer, (...)
Yes, it's great for Knock Off variants, but it sadly gets chipped down by Earthquake a tad too much, forcing it to wish after 2, then abused by Gliscor's teammates. SD sets, even though less common, destroy Clefable.

1) Clefable is immune to toxic chip while running magic guard (leagues better than unaware) (...)
You're comparing apples to oranges. These abilities let clefable perform different roles on a team, you can't really compare the two like that. Though, yeah, on this team i run Magic Guard, in pre-Gliscor ban SV you could opt for Unaware as a great stopper to Iron Valiant, whose mixed sets can be a problem otherwise. It's also nice against Enamorus and Hatterene, two big threats that can overwhelm Blissey with ease.

2) Clefable doesn't care about knock off too much, (...)
Having your lefties knocked off may be the winning factor. Don't downplay them, it's a massive help in letting Clef sit on things like Cinderace and being less passive, thus less exploitable by virtue of not needing to Wish as often.

(...) it doesn't rely on boots like other walls to be immune to chip (...)
Chip can come in forms of pivot moves or just switching into an attack. It piles up over time, and lefties greatly mitigates it. It's not immune to chip, only immune to passive damage. BIG difference.

3) Clefable barely takes damage from earthquake/facade, (...)
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 91-108 (23 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 91-108 (23 - 27.4%) -- 58.3% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 117-138 (29.6 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 117-138 (29.6 - 35%) -- 13.4% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 108-128 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- 69.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 108-128 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 231-273 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 215-254 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
A minnimum 23-27.4% is not "barely". Especially without lefties. Like i already said, you are forced to wish more often, losing PP and getting into a potentially very vulnerable position if you decide not to. This is stall, where every % matters.

(...) not to mention learning ice beam to do more damage, (...)
Sorry, but this is a non-argument. Why would you ever run ice beam? You have 4 move slots, 2 occupied by the mandatory wish and protect. You can slot ice beam in to hit absolutely nothing of value you wouldn't do good damage against with moonblast instead, or decide to give up Calm Mind, the only way to win against Garganacl and to force progress on Earthquake Gliscor, furthermore the ONLY THING that makes Clefable not extremely passive and abusable.
You hit ice beam to nail gliscor and that's kind of it. The opposing team is HO and/or not running gliscor? You're playing a clefable with 3 moves instead of 4, giving up something extremely valuable in the process no matter what.
No good player would ever run this, it's a wasted moveslot in a mon that already wants so much more useful things like thunder wave & stealth rock.

I also would like to say that this isn't that much of a point against Gliscor, as much as it is against spikes in general. As you mentioned, Gliscor didn't even have spikes prior to Gen 9. Even then, Gliscor wasn't even used much for stealth rocks as much as something like Landorus-Therian (15% vs 85% at the start of the gen, 25% vs 51% at the end of the gen) in Gen 7. In Gen 6, it wasn't even recommended by Smogon to use stealth rocks Gliscor, with the only recommended set being SD. Spikes weren't overbearing prior to Gen 9 not only because of reliable hazard removal, but the small distribution of Pokémon with spikes.
Sure, i guess, they really went overboard with Spikes' distribution this gen. But like i ALSO said, "(...) i think SVOU is a hazard hellhole with or without Gliscor (...)". Refer to the entirety of the Gholdengo paragraph please.
TLDR though Gholdengo is only there to make it worse. No dengo? You can actually remove the spikes reliably, and they've become easier to deal with. Gliscor's just dumb, it forces very specific counterplay and in the end the safest one is the gliscor mirror. There are not many checks as of DLC 1, and the current situation does not allow it to be balanced. Much like Volcarona would be ok if Tera got axed, Gliscor may have been ok without Gholdengo, but we'll never know.
Also, you say "I also would like to say that this isn't that much of a point against Gliscor, as much as it is against spikes in general." but then you also say "Spikes weren't overbearing prior to Gen 9 not only because of reliable hazard removal, but the small distribution of Pokémon with spikes". Given the current state of the tier, this is a clear contradiction, i think. Most teams will not ever use Spikes outside of Glimmora or Ting-Lu teams, because every other spikes user is simply not good. In the example you give, gen7, you're also going to have to rely on Ferro, occasionally Greninja or Skarmory. The distribution on VIABLE mons is, in quantity, not much different, and as spikes are not overbearing in USUM they are not overbearing anymore without gliscor. If one mon has it and is deemed broken but others also have it and are fine, then we should ban the broken one and not the whole move. For example, we didn't ban Rage Fist, we banned Annihilape, because Primeape is ass even with it. Even if Primeape was legitimately viable, Ape would have been what went regardless.
Hope i got my point across i forgot what i was saying halfway through

Last edited:
If one mon has it and is deemed broken but others also have it and are fine, then we should ban the broken one and not the whole move. For example, we didn't ban Rage Fist, we banned Annihilape, because Primeape is ass even with it. Even if Primeape was legitimately viable, Ape would have been what went regardless
I wasn't saying to ban spikes entirely, but instead saying that GameFreak really messed up when creating the new movepools. A shit ton of new Spikes users, like Garchomp, Gliscor, Meows, Ting-Lu, Ogerpon, Glimmora, Sandy Shocks, and Clodsire with very few hazard removal options (just Corvi with Defog, Tusk with Spin, and Maus with Tidy Up), which usually leads to a hazard filled metagame.

I wasn't saying to ban spikes entirely, but instead saying that GameFreak really messed up when creating the new movepools. A shit ton of new Spikes users, like Garchomp, Gliscor, Meows, Ting-Lu, Ogerpon, Glimmora, Sandy Shocks, and Clodsire with very few hazard removal options (just Corvi with Defog, Tusk with Spin, and Maus with Tidy Up), which usually leads to a hazard filled metagame.
i agree but nothing we can do abt that unfortunately

not that they really care abt singles anyway

That's the thing, one has to evaluate their decisions in relation to VGC, NEVER in relation to Smogon 6v6 singles. Too often I've seen people complain about Game Freak's design decisions this gen, but it's like complaining about Monopoly's game design when not playing it as intended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)