Approved "Power rating" and "bulk rating" tooltips

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I've been thinking about displaying pokemon/attacks in terms of "Power rating" and "Bulk rating".

"Power rating" would be the percentage damage against a neutral enemy with 100/100 defenses, 31/31 IVs, 0/0 EVs, and neutral Nature, in the tooltips for attacks (for most attacks, it would be a range for the 85-100 modifier).

And then "bulk rating" would be how bulky you are, as a percentage relative to a pokemon with 100/100 defenses (etc), in tooltips for pokemon (your opponents' bulk would be a range). You'd have separate "physical bulk rating" and "special bulk rating".

So if your power rating was higher than your opponent's bulk rating, it would be a 1HKO. Otherwise it wouldn't. At the edges, there might be rounding issues, but for the most part, it would be simple and easy to understand. It'd also be useful to have a combined number so you don't have to worry about attack boosts vs base power boosts vs damage boosts (which are currently represented somewhat confusingly).

Before we move forward, though, I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this!

(your opponents' bulk would be a range)
I especially like this, but like with the Speed tooltips, there's the question of what range values we show. 31/31/252/252+ will obviously be accounted for because it is the maximum. 31/31/252/252 should only be needed for Hackmons formats, so it isn't as important. That leaves 31/31/252/0 (full HP, no Def/SpD) and 31/31/0/0 (no EVs) as the most useful values to show that aren't already an absolute minimum or maximum.

Will a power rating half as high as the opponent's true bulk rating lead to a 2HKO? One third as high as the bulk rating meaning a 3HKO? Etc.

(Physical/Special) Bulk Rating (Invest/No Invest) could make useful /ds parameters. There's no intuitive way to search for total "physical bulk", you just have to throw out HP and Defense values and hope the mons you find will do the job.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I especially like this, but like with the Speed tooltips, there's the question of what range values we show. 31/31/252/252+ will obviously be accounted for because it is the maximum. 31/31/252/252 should only be needed for Hackmons formats, so it isn't as important. That leaves 31/31/252/0 (full HP, no Def/SpD) and 31/31/0/0 (no EVs) as the most useful values to show that aren't already an absolute minimum or maximum.
I think min-/default/max+ is probably fine? This is all still a lot of info to fit into a tooltip...

Will a power rating half as high as the opponent's true bulk rating lead to a 2HKO? One third as high as the bulk rating meaning a 3HKO? Etc.
Yep, of course. Although because of the 85-100 factor, a lot of attacks might be "chance of 2hko" rather than "2hko".

I think it might be nice to display the ratings somewhere in the teambuilder or some other non-battle place. I can totally see myself and others using this to answer questions like "is Pokemon X stronger/bulkier than Pokemon Y" or, more practically, use the bulk rating to optimize EV spreads. Currently the easiest way to do these things (that I know of) is in the calc, which isn't built for such comparisons and is thus really clunky.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think min-/default/max+ is probably fine? This is all still a lot of info to fit into a tooltip...
Honestly, do we need to show min-? For Speed, min- is relevant for Trick Room Pokemon and setters. But I don't know what Pokemon would ever run 0 HP/Def/SpD IVs. Even when Stakataka actively tanked its Defense to make Beast Boost raise its Attack, it still ran 15 Defense IVs (and 31 HP IVs). Min- would be a slightly better approximation than default, but still not decisively accurate. Defense spreads practically usually have a floor at neutral, with the exception of Naive/Hasty/etc mixed attackers.

Might make the tool tip too cluttered. If there was a good design go ahead.
An ancient version was defense/attack tier where you used logarithms, idk if you would want to use that instead?

Personally I think power ratings should stay (you know your own evs) but bulk ratings shouldnt. Maybe defense tiers could be calculated but i would like it as a command/teambuilder thing

also if both power rating + bulk rating were combined so that if power>bulk then it would be an ohko, would it be a straight ohko all the time, a chance to ohko, or ohko after rocks?
I feel like an onhand calculator battle tool is more efficient then using power/bulk ratings, either through extension or PS implementation
I think it might be nice to display the ratings somewhere in the teambuilder or some other non-battle place. I can totally see myself and others using this to answer questions like "is Pokemon X stronger/bulkier than Pokemon Y" or, more practically, use the bulk rating to optimize EV spreads. Currently the easiest way to do these things (that I know of) is in the calc, which isn't built for such comparisons and is thus really clunky.
it might be important/easy to get a percent quickly during battle
like if i did 14% with uturn then you could multiply power rating to find how much you do with your switch in

Last edited:

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
If something like this is implemented, is there a way that it could be augmented? Such as for LC/level 50 metas/tiers with Pokemon that have low BST

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
If something like this is implemented, is there a way that it could be augmented? Such as for LC/level 50 metas/tiers with Pokemon that have low BST
How would you want it changed?

I think setting it relative to a 100/100 pokemon at the format's level cap would probably help prevent it from being too crazy in other metas. But low BST? That's probably not worth adjusting for, I think?

I don't know how relevant this is, but a thing that's historically been used in the RBY Community is a "defensiveness" calculation, multiplying the HP by the defensive stat. It actually dates back to 2010. The number that's spat out looks awful, but it's pretty alright as a metric, it gets the job done I guess? Thought I'd put it here in case it gives any ideas.
Interesting. I know I'm not really knowledgeable on this topic but why not add health+defense as an index of how bulky something is instead of multiplying? For my own personal reasons I used to do that.

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Interesting. I know I'm not really knowledgeable on this topic but why not add health+defense as an index of how bulky something is instead of multiplying? For my own personal reasons I used to do that.
multiplying, while giving an uglier number, is actually a better metric. because HP*defense, roughly speaking, is inversely proportional to the % of HP something will take in damage from a given attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)