Power Items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Item: Overgrowth Ring
Description: Boosts power of Grass-type moves 50% when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Ability Effect: Overgrow
Additional Effect: The user takes 50% more damage from attacks that are super-effective against Grass types when they are at or below 1/3 of their max HP. They do not take more damage from attacks that are super-effective against their secondary typing (if they have one)

Item: Inferno Ring
Description: Boosts power of Fire-type moves 50% when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Ability Effect: Blaze
Additional Effect: The user takes 50% more damage from attacks that are super-effective against Fire types when they are at or below 1/3 of their max HP. They do not take more damage from attacks that are super-effective against their secondary typing (if they have one)

Item: Downpour Ring
Description: Boosts power of Water-type moves 50% when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Ability Effect: Torrent
Additional Effect: The user takes 50% more damage from attacks that are super-effective against Water types when they are at or below 1/3 of their max HP. They do not take more damage from attacks that are super-effective against their secondary typing (if they have one)

Item: Striking Flint
Description: Powers up the holder's Fire-type moves by 50% when at or below 1/3 of max HP.
Ability: Blaze
Additional Effect: If the holder possesses the ability Blaze, then the ability becomes active regardless of how much HP the holder still possesses.
Design: A simple flint-and-steel firelighter, pitted with rust and decorated with patterns of vines and bees. Whilst seemingly innocuous, the thing seems to have a knack for setting even the unlikeliest substances aflame - such as iron, rocks, and even a bucket of water. Experimentally-minded trainers with this artifact tend to be nursing third-degree burns, as their attention becomes fixated on the flames.

Item: Coral Pendant
Description: Powers up the holder's Water-type moves when at or below 1/3 of max HP
Ability: Torrent
Additional Effect: If the holder possesses the ability Torrent, then the ability becomes active regardless of how much HP the holder still possesses.
Design: A pendant of seven fragments of heat-bleached coral, arranged in a honeycomb pattern and attached to a length of twisted grass twine. The coral tubes are hollow, and seem to whistle with the sound of the sea even on a still day with no wind. Trainers who use the power of this artifact swear up and down that it talks to them, and more than one poor soul has left to follow directions on the wind and never returned.

Item: Broken Bark
Description: Power's up the holder's Grass-type moves when at or below 1/3 of max HP
Ability: Overgrow
Additional Effect: If the holder possesses the ability Overgrow, then the ability becomes active regardless of how much HP the holder still possesses.
Design: A damp, charred-looking piece of tree bark in a rough square that looks to have been home to at least seven generations of woodlice. While the bark itself looks dead, plant life around it seems to become richer and more verdant than before, and the smell of their flowers becomes intoxicating. It is vital never to eat fruit passed over by a square, though; the seeds within it sprout and become whole trees far quicker than they can be removed.

Item: Iridescent Shell
Description: Power's up the holder's Bug-type moves when at or below 1/3 of max HP
Ability: Swarm
Additional Effect: If the holder possesses the ability Swarm, then the ability becomes active regardless of how much HP the holder still possesses.
Design: A huge beetle shell converted into a kind of crash helmet. The work has beautiful colours, though; burning reds, ocean blues, and lush greens that spin and dance across the surface. Its wide brim keeps the rain off, and an ornate wooden clasp at the chinstrap is inlaid with volcanic rock. Some trainers spend hours polishing it, looking deeper and deeper into its surface; they say that sometimes, in the right light, there are a hundred reflections - and that they don't all have the same expressions.

Last edited:
Item: Blaze Spirit
Description: Holder's Fire type attacks have 1.5x power when at 1/3 of max HP or less
Related Ability: Blaze
Additional Effect: Enables the holder to, once per battle, survive a Ground, Rock, or Water type move from full health, as Focus Sash (the item is not consumed on survival of the move but this particular effect may activate only once per battle).
Flavor: Dancing lights captured in a jar, their entrancing aura powers up Fire type moves. They may protect your Pokemon in a pinch.

Item: Aqua Spirit
Description: Holder's Water type attacks have 1.5x power when at 1/3 of max HP or less
Related Ability: Torrent
Additional Effect: Enables the holder to, once per battle, survive a Grass or Electric type move from full health, as Focus Sash (the item is not consumed on survival of the move but this particular effect may activate only once per battle).
Flavor:
Magical water motes captured in a jar, their entrancing aura powers up Water type moves. They may protect your Pokemon in a pinch.

Item: Flower Spirit
Description: Holder's Grass type attacks have 1.5x power when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Related Ability: Overgrow
Additional Effect: Enables the holder to, once per battle, survive a Poison, Flying, Fire, Ice, or Bug type move from full health, as Focus Sash (the item is not consumed on survival of the move but this particular effect may activate only once per battle).
Flavor: Forest pixies captured in a jar, their gleeful aura powers up Grass type moves. They may protect your Pokemon in a pinch.

In making these I tried to both keep the theme of the abilities ("power at a price") and make items that could actually compete with a Life Orb, Choice Item, Z-stone etc for use on a set.

oops nvm, but these are useful yet not game breaking. Blaze/Torrent/Overgrow hardly see usage as abilities and I couldn't imagine they'd be much more popular as items, so they get a limited yet important buff that synergizes with the ability, giving them a solid niche. Flower Spirit Kartana! Blaze Spirit Heatran! Aqua Spirit Cloyster!

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Item: Gasoline
Description: Boosts the power of Fire-type moves 50% when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Ability Effect: Blaze
Additional Effect: After using a Fire type attack at 1/3 max health or less, item gets consumed and grants two stages of Special Attack until switched out.

Item: Waterwheel
Description: Boosts power of Water-type moves 50% when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Ability Effect: Torrent
Additional Effect: After using a Water type attack at 1/3 max health or less, item gets consumed and grants two stages of Speed until switched out.

Item: Venus Fly Trap
Description: Boosts power of Grass-type moves 50% when at 1/3 of max HP or less.
Ability Effect: Overgrow
Additional Effect: After using a Grass type attack at 1/3 max health or less, gets consumed and grants two stages of Attack until switched out.

Edit: fixed description to match the rules

Last edited:
I should have clarified this earlier and I will make it clear right now. he item gives the ABILITIES affect only (along with a secondary effect, but ability must still be in its original form). You cannot create a custom effect even if it is related to the ability. You cannot change the ability. You may create an ADDITIONAL effect that is either positive or negative. PLEASE FIX YOUR POST IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES! (refer to original post for submission, i have updated it to be more clear)

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
quick question, would having a secondary effect along with the item being able to be consumed okay?

oh and i'm part of the council now so yay

I should have clarified this earlier and I will make it clear right now. he item gives the ABILITIES affect only (along with a secondary effect, but ability must still be in its original form). You cannot create a custom effect even if it is related to the ability. You cannot change the ability. You may create an ADDITIONAL effect that is either positive or negative. PLEASE FIX YOUR POST IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES! (refer to original post for submission, i have updated it to be more clear)
Well this just got a hundred times more dull.

Astra

talk to me nice
In defense of the rule, had the ability to change the primary effect completely, it isn't really making a item imitating an ability, thus defeating the main point of this Pet Mod. Otherwise, it would honestly just be making items with more than one effect.

In defense of the rule, had the ability to change the primary effect completely, it isn't really making a item imitating an ability, thus defeating the main point of this Pet Mod. Otherwise, it would honestly just be making items with more than one effect.
I think in addition to what Estronic said, there is still plenty of room to be inventive with the side effects of each item and its interaction with the actual ability of the Pokemon holding it

In which case, the opening slate is perhaps the worst one you could have picked.

You might not remember, but there are a slew of type-boosting items in the game already and they don't see much play. This is because these items are extremely limited in scope, and a more generalist approach (such as, say, Life Orb) is much more useful. I assume the point is that these items appear in competitive play as viable alternatives to things like Life Orb - or, in this specific instance, to the wide variety of Mega Stones that mons with Blaze, Torrent, and Overgrow have access to.

quick question, would having a secondary effect along with the item being able to be consumed okay?

oh and i'm part of the council now so yay
Yes, consuming is an effect

In which case, the opening slate is perhaps the worst one you could have picked.

You might not remember, but there are a slew of type-boosting items in the game already and they don't see much play. This is because these items are extremely limited in scope, and a more generalist approach (such as, say, Life Orb) is much more useful. I assume the point is that these items appear in competitive play as viable alternatives to things like Life Orb - or, in this specific instance, to the wide variety of Mega Stones that mons with Blaze, Torrent, and Overgrow have access to.
The point (of this slate atleast) is not to make an item that can be used all of the time. Not all abilities are used all of the time. The point of these items is to give more of a variety and see what can be done with the effects of two abilities.

I appreciate the criticism from everyone, but as stated earlier, it is the main idea of the pet mod to not stray too far and just end up adding completely unrelated items.

Can we have a template or format to vote in?
Template:
Item 1- person 1, person 2, person 3
Item 2- person 1, person 2, person 3
Item 3- person 1, person 2, person 3
Person 1 gets 3points, person 2 gets 2 points, person 1 gets 1 point, everyone you didn’t vote for dosent get points

Blaze: colourcodedchaos, lyd, mt0101
Torrent: colourcodedchaos, lyd, mt0101
Overgrow: colourcodedchaos, lyd, mt0101

I'd recommend being a bit more active. I understand if you have real world stuff to take care of but this Pet Mod is already dying and that's no fun to see during the first slate.

Astra

talk to me nice
I'm going to be real with you, I totally forgot I was part of the council for this. Kopelemon hasn't been on in months, and that's really unfortunate.

I really like the idea though, perhaps I could revive it (with mod's permission, of course)? Pinging Brodaha because you're listed as council as well.

I'm going to be real with you, I totally forgot I was part of the council for this. Kopelemon hasn't been on in months, and that's really unfortunate.

I really like the idea though, perhaps I could revive it (with mod's permission, of course)? Pinging Brodaha because you're listed as council as well.
Yeah, it sucks that this died so quickly. I couldn't lead it now that I'm running my own, but if you were to try and start it again I could remain as part of the council to help you out.

Tagging G-Luke to see if you can pass leadership to Estronic until Kopelemon comes back (if he does)?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ion have those superpowers to actually make another person the thread owner, but yh just consider whoever you are replacing Kope with the leader

hey guys. so i've kinda been busy as of late. if Estronic or another person is willing to take ownership of the pet mod that can properly manage it that would be ideal. once time clears up for me i would love to participate in slates and voting. this was really not a challenge i was ready to take on time-wise. very sorry for anyone i kept waiting.

Astra

talk to me nice
hey guys. so i've kinda been busy as of late. if Estronic or another person is willing to take ownership of the pet mod that can properly manage it that would be ideal. once time clears up for me i would love to participate in slates and voting. this was really not a challenge i was ready to take on time-wise. very sorry for anyone i kept waiting.
Thank you for updating us, I'll be sure to carry on what you started!

G-Luke I know that I've been nagging you for the past few days about this, but may I make a new thread for this as this one is kind of messy to carry off of? Again, sorry to disturb you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)