ORAS UU Post-Zam Anti-Meta

This RMT is centered around the lunar pokemon, Cresselia. With 120/120/130 bulk, this MONSTER has the perfect movepool and stat distribution to be a major pain for any team to deal with.
Overall, the playstyle for this team involves making smart switches and sacrifices to ensure retaining answers to key threats while utilizing a LOT of surprise factor with the sets to ensure an advantage going into late game.

Teambuilding:

Started off with a defensive backbone of specially defensive cresselia and physical defense mandibuzz for a reliable recovery core to ensure switchins to 80%+ of threats.

Added my girl sylveon to break holes in the enemy team

With the addition of resttalk mega swampert, this team has unexpectedly high offensive presence despite its tanky build as well as solid checks to many of the tiers top threats.

I added an interesting hex flame orb trick rotom set that helps me render some pokemon ineffective to allow free switchins and in general just give my slow team a lot more momentum.

I had a glaring weakness to grass types here so I added Nasty Plot infernape to add some priority to the team as well as a powerful sweeper/wallbreaker and grass answer. Unfortunately, this left me very vulnerable to celebi, a premier threat in UU currently and I felt infernape didn't add much synergy even though it was very anti-meta and many assumed it was a SR lead which gave me momentum early and often..so I ended up with this build:

The addition of choice banded bulky luke fit the bulky offense theme of the team while retaining priority and is quite anti-meta with the surprise factor of such a powerful immediate offensive threat.

In-depth Analysis & Set Commentary:

Nasty Luke (Lucario) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail

To kick things off is a very anti-meta threat that many teams have trouble finding a single reliable switchin to, which is just what this team needed finally. Sylveon as well as Nasty Luke help ensure that games don't devolve into straight stall wars, but with smart predictions and switches, matches can end QUICKLY with these two. Many people expect this to be either the swords dance set or nasty plot set, but are unpleasantly surprised to be hit with a MASSIVE blow. It's pretty easy to see what the counter to luke is in team preview and, with the correct coverage choice, it is quite easy to break some faces early and often with this threat. This mon also provides me with a steel type and some surprisingly decent bulk as well as enough speed to outpace adamant gyarados (a huge threat to this team), and +speed hoopa/metagross/mega swampert. Priority in extremespeed is also very valuable with the way I play this team, revolving around making smart switches and sacrifices in order to allow a threat to sweep late game.

Silly (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Max speed sylveon provides me with an impressive wallbreaker, team supporter, momentum grabber, and combined with luke really forces teams to think twice before spamming draco. Heal bell synergizes with rest talk m-swamp and really helps this team with its weakness to status. It's quite easy to spam hyper voice with this mon, but I find baton pass is my most clicked move. Many teams pack counters or multiple reliable checks to pixivoice so I generally only click hyper voice when I can spam it late game. Toxic isn't very used but I keep it on there to help with my stall matchup.

Roman (Rotom) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

..Huh?! Trick flame orb rotom? Your eyes do not deceive you. Surprisingly fast and powerful, this mon provides me with a great set of resistances and immunities while also grabbing A LOT of momentum for the team between volt switch and its ability to cripple physical threats. Not sure on the EV's, was thinking of going for a more bulky spread but I find that max speed is invaluable on base forme rotom. I've found this mon is very inconsistent, sometimes doing absolutely nothing in matches. It does discourage fighting/normal spam and makes conkeldurr more likely to click knockoff which is useful for m-swamp. Important to note that I hardly ever switch into rotom. I generally send it in as a lead or after a mon dies so that flame orb doesn't activate on it and I may utilize the surprise factor.

SwagKrow (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play

Enter the defensive trio that provides reliable switchins throughout the game to any number of threats. Mandibuzz is my primary grass switchin and defogger as well as check to an immense amount of physical threats. U-turn over knock off helps my bulky build with momentum grabbing which is invaluable. With the presence of foul play, I feel that rocky helmet isn't necessary and leftovers + roost recovery makes this mon last until it accomplishes its goal nearly every time. I wish there were room for knock off or brave bird on this set to help me with my grass matchup but U-turn is a good middle ground between the two I find. EV's to maximize bulk and allow it to do its job as effectively as possible.

Moodkipz (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 96 Def / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

An incredibly underrated and anti-meta set, I find this mon surviving until late game more and more as the meta evolves. Once its counters are eliminated, this is an INCREDIBLY hard to deal with threat. Grass types, gyarados, salamence all hard wall this mon but it's so invaluable against many of the top tier threats that I find it is always threatening to the enemy team. It also discourages volt spam which otherwise causes all sorts of havoc for my team. Speed is to outspeed max speed neutral nature m-ampharos and conkeldurr after mega evolving. Hits 399 attack after mega which is the same as 252 jolly. Rest is dumped into HP and then defense to provide staying power combined with rest talk. This mon synergizes so well with the rest of the team, I just LOVE IT!

Luna (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

Rounding out the team, the star of the show is the lunar pokemon! A 100% reliable switchin to sylveon and an absolute tank, this cresselia is the reason for all the momentum grabbing with u-turn, baton pass, and volt switch that this team requires. One of the rare times I will actually run psyshock over psychic on a pokemon due to CM wars with suicune and the like. Fairy type moves are the only move I double up on(besides volt switch and t-bolt on rotom) and that's because of the coverage it provides with psychic as well as the high base power special attack boosted by calm minds. The only qualm I have with this moveset is moonlight's PP, but no mon is perfect. 176+ SpD to hit an even number that rounds up with the boosting nature. The rest is dumped into HP and defense to ensure maximum bulk. Even with the minimal physical bulk investment, Luna lives even super effective stab knock offs. (although its in your best interest to keep those leftovers as moonlight is only semi-reliable). Speaking of which, cress synergizes with m-swamp by helping my matchup vs sun (66% moonlight recovery) while m-swamp helps with my rain matchup when moonlight is less effective. Overall, Cresselia is a very underprepared for threat and can single handedly win games for me while also being consistently useful in matchups that it doesn't win by default.

Importable:
Nasty Luke (Lucario) @ Choice Band
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail

Silly (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Roman (Rotom) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Luna (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

SwagKrow (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play

Moodkipz (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 96 Def / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Closing Thoughts:
Although Alakazam is one of my favorite mons and was SO much fun to use in UU, I'm glad the voters decided on it being banned. The new meta that has been forming has resulted in a lot of very fun matches and a more diverse meta overall. Enjoy the team in all of its glory. It's great in that it's extremely adaptable, it can be played like semi-stall (without hazards) or extremely aggressive, taking advantage of the fact that many of the sets are off-meta which can result in some high octane sac-fests. Experiment with it for yourself!

Last edited:

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey Maid-, really cool team you've got here! I really like the idea of having a solid defensive core between Cresselia, Mandibuzz, and Mega Swampert to help act as a cushion for the rest of your Pokemon, all 3 of which have great offensive synergy and can give the majority of the tier some real trouble.

• Choice Band Lucario is an interesting choice, one that can really surprise most teams as they'll be expecting you to set up with either a Swords Dance/Nasty Plot or fire of an LO boosted coverage move. This pressures Lucario's would-be switchins really well, however I believe that the aforementioned Swords Dance variant would be a better fit for your team:

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Iron Tail
-Extremespeed

• I noticed that you chose to outspeed Adamant Gyarados (which is fairly nonexistent btw) and positive natured base 70s while choosing to run a bit of HP investment to round out Lucario's decent natural bulk. However, the HP investment doesn't really help you to live anything meaningful, so I'd advise that you run as much speed as possible instead. Note that Jolly Gyarados outspeeds you if you're running an Adamant nature, so you might want to remedy this by running Jolly, although the drop in power might be noticeable. Changing Lucario to the Swords Dance set helps you to wallbreak more efficiently, and you can still fire off Life Orb boosted STABs in the event that you don't find a chance to set up a SD, which will deal only slightly less damage than they would under the effects of a Choice Band.

• I'd also suggest running either one of Psyshock/Shadow Ball over Toxic/Heal Bell on Sylveon. You really don't have much use for Toxic on Sylveon since most things you'd be poisoning wouldn't care much for it, such as Blissey, or won't be affected by it since the vast majority of Sylveon checks are Poison and Steel types. Toxic in particular should definitely be replaced for either coverage move, however if you'd like to keep Heal Bell to help support your defensive core then that's totally fine. Just note of course that being locked into Heal Bell gives your opponent a free turn in which they can take advantage of the situation by setting up with a sweeper or firing off an attack risk-free.

• Your use of Rotom is certainly intriguing, however you can burn more than one pokemon by running Will-O-Wisp over Trick while also replacing Flame Orb for a more suitable item such as a Life Orb. I'd also suggest running Pain Split over Thunderbolt because it allows you to whittle away at bulkier oppositions such as Snorlax or Blissey, and this is very effective given Rotom's low base HP stat. You can also experiment with running Rotom-H over your regular Rotom, and by doing so, you pick up more handy resistances and a stronger defensive presence.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I really like the unique style of your team, and I hope that I was able to help somewhat in making it a more effective build. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey interesting build! Let me post some of my thoughts to help you try to improve this.

• CB Lucario sounds interesting but I agree with SD Lucario being a far superior fit.
Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Iron Tail
-Extremespeed

Also I want to say that running speed creep on your set for Lucario is kind of pointless, when Gyarados can exploit that set for free set up at some point in the game. Also I want to put it out there that considering the rest of your team, something like SD Escavalier fits better, and helps your team answer a wide variety of problems like Sylveon and stuff. In case you want the set I'll put it here. Cobalion can also do a similar job to Lucario while being faster, and can check a bunch of relevant things as well, so I'll also include that for you to try, something like Stone Edge Cobalion also makes stuff, like Chandelure less of an issue than it is now.
Escavalier @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

• I feel Rotom-N is completely outclassed by Rotom-C. Like Rotom-C literally checks so many things that your team struggles with, with Gyarados possibly being one of the more noticable things it helps with. Most notably Suicune/a bunch of other late game sweepers.
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

• The Sylveon set is extremely questionable, and you should probably just be running the standard Specs Sylveon set honestly. Because you at this point of time have Specs with a bunch of moves that make no sense with it(except for BP). Sylveon with HP:Fire actually makes sense here to try to remove Escavalier/Doublade to try to open up a sweep for your Cresselia.
Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Baton Pass

• Also your team basically is both slow, and has no real Sylveon checks/counters so I'd suggest running a Crobat or something over Mandibuzz. Probably a more offensive Crobat with Sky Plate or something, to give you some decent offensive presence, but even the support set works decently here. To give you a long term answer to Sylveon(to some extent). Pursuit's been slashed to try to nail Mega Beedrill which appears to be a problem for the build. Empoleon is also a decent fit, and probably makes running Escavalier less necessary.
Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn/Pursuit
- Defog
- Roost

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

• Also I'd like to suggest running Curse Swampert here to give you a solid win condition versus the kind of teams that don't fold to Cresselia(for example those with things like Doublade). I also think I'd also running speed EVs on Cresselia to creep Jolly Crawdaunt(I think its 96 EVs iirc), because that is another thing the build looks vulnerable to at first sight.
Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Ice Punch

Changes:
CBLuke -> SD Luke
Rotom-N -> Scarf Trick Rotom-C
Current Cress EV spread -> 96 speed EV creep
rest-talk Swampert -> Curse Sp.Def Pert
current Specs Sylv set-> Standard Specs Sylv
Mandibuzz -> Either of bulky Crobat(which probably wants Escav>Lucario then) or Sp.Def Empoleon.

Suggestions to try out:
Cobalion/Escav over Lucario

Good luck with your team!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)