Post your searing hot takes

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
reminds me of how corn-and-mayo pizza (nothing else but those 2 things on there. replacing the sauce and cheese) is a staple pizza variety in japan. tastes as bad and weird as youd expect
i do not wish to be overdramatic but holy christ that is the most unpleasant thing i have ever heard!!! wtf

er anyway my searing hot take is that michael mcintyre is Okay, Actually.

reminds me of how corn-and-mayo pizza (nothing else but those 2 things on there. replacing the sauce and cheese) is a staple pizza variety in japan. tastes as bad and weird as youd expect
This reminded me of one time where someone told me that maple syrup on Pizza was good and the reason I didn't like it was because I was using Aunt Jemima (I wasn't using Aunt Jemima)

Games shouldn't be too easy. Teaching mental toughness is important. :mehowth:

We're on a Pokémon forum, so I don't need to go in-depth about examples, but it's important to have kids work on their problem-solving skills.

With that said, Souls games are bullshit and another problem entirely. Same goes for romhacks. No, optimized EV spreads by the first gym is not good design. Have some moderation and critical sense.:pip:

Also, BotW weapons breaking is a good mechanic. You won't carry that hammer you bought at Home Depot forever bro. Get used to it.

Games shouldn't be too easy. Teaching mental toughness is important. :mehowth:

We're on a Pokémon forum, so I don't need to go in-depth about examples, but it's important to have kids work on their problem-solving skills.

With that said, Souls games are bullshit and another problem entirely. Same goes for romhacks. No, optimized EV spreads by the first gym is not good design. Have some moderation and critical sense.:pip:

Also, BotW weapons breaking is a good mechanic. You won't carry that hammer you bought at Home Depot forever bro. Get used to it.
games should be as easy or hard as the player wants. dificulty settings are a gift from god.
Burgers belong in the trash
finally, someone agrees with me.

anyways, the internet is too much of an important tool for a child to not have access to. the internet contains the sum of all human knowledge, and that is barely an exageration. I think that education should revolve around how to use technology properly.

also, if you think that anyone who dosent go outside is not well enfromed enough to have opinions on things, you have clearly never heard of the internet, despite the fact that you are currently on it.

Botw sucks and weapon breaking is part of it lmao
To elaborate: breakable weapons feel like a band-aid fix to a much worse issue with a big game. They ran out of ideas for interesting rewards so their solution for having rewards that players will want was to make it so generic weapons were always in demand. Naturally, it still provides no reason to seek out combat challenges that the player would spend weapon durability participating in.

Tourists are fucking terrible for the economy. There's a reason areas that see high volumes of tourism slowly turn into hellscapes of expensive art galleries and bed and breakfasts. I live in a very touristy area (for now), and the go-to mantra of every idiot neolib every time there's a 4-hour traffic jam or some moronic tourist runs over a family of four or something is "well, at least they're good for the economy". This is probably true for the business owners, and it's debatably true for some people who work in the service industry (specifically those who work tipped or commissioned jobs), but it's absolutely not true for everyone else.

Workers in other sectors in high-tourism areas do not get paid more on average than workers in other areas of the same state, despite often dealing with an increased workload during tourist season. In addition, tourists clog up the roads, trash up beaches and parks, and jack up the cost of living, because land developers would rather turn properties into bed and breakfasts and summer homes than permanent residences for people who actually live there, and store owners know that tourists won't balk at paying $8 for a gallon of milk when it's $4 anywhere else in the state (or maybe they will, but they'll do it anyways) and locals don't really have a choice. If they complain, point out how fucking great tourists are for the economy.

As for tipped/commissioned service workers, not only are you affected by the higher cost of living, but you're also entirely at the mercy of the tourist season. During the summer you might make loads of money serving tables or guiding tours or whatever, but during the winter most of those businesses outright close down, so the amount you're making on average really isn't as good as you might think it is. You're better off than other workers in the area, no doubt, but that's only because they get shit pay all the time whereas you only get shit pay (or no pay) half the time.

There should be a literal tourist tax added to goods and services in high-tourism areas. Having a locally issued ID or other proof of residence would remove said tax, and the money from said tax should be used exclusively for projects and services that will benefit the local community of that area, or better yet distributed via a dividend to all permanent residents of that area, no strings attached.

So yeah, fuck tourists, everyone should stay at home all the time and never touch grass (unless I tell you to touch grass because you had a bad take), that is all

games should be as easy or hard as the player wants. dificulty settings are a gift from god.
Most difficulty settings don't really matter tbh.

The same enemy with 90%, 100%, or 110% HP is still dealt with the same way. Something like BW2 where they actually add extra mons that you gotta worry about and plan around is more interesting.

With that said... Yes, games should have difficulty settings.

Botw sucks and weapon breaking is part of it lmao
Yeah, that's a hot take alright. Except for the weapon breaking part.

Honestly, most people can't really point out the most questionable thing about breakable weapons.

The most common complaints are like
"I'm running out of weapons!" - Skill Issue
"I like this weapon!" - Just get more of them. Most of them literally respawn at fixed places. Git gud.

To elaborate: breakable weapons feel like a band-aid fix to a much worse issue with a big game. They ran out of ideas for interesting rewards so their solution for having rewards that players will want was to make it so generic weapons were always in demand. Naturally, it still provides no reason to seek out combat challenges that the player would spend weapon durability participating in.
You are not most people. That's a big problem with BotW, and another example of why difficulty matters.

Most of the time, you don't really need to prepare for something beyond "Get the appropriate armor/food." The Divine Beasts often don't even have enemies beyond a single scout and malice skulls with 1hp.

Few to no points actually push players to worry about their resources because the game phases are very distinct. You have exploration, combat, or puzzle solving. But you hardly ever need to deal with the complete package like you did in older games because there aren't any real dungeons.

This actively hurts the overall package just like how XY Leaders having absolute shitmons is bad for that game.

Tourists are fucking terrible for the economy. There's a reason areas that see high volumes of tourism slowly turn into hellscapes of expensive art galleries and bed and breakfasts. I live in a very touristy area (for now), and the go-to mantra of every idiot neolib every time there's a 4-hour traffic jam or some moronic tourist runs over a family of four or something is "well, at least they're good for the economy". This is probably true for the business owners, and it's debatably true for some people who work in the service industry (specifically those who work tipped or commissioned jobs), but it's absolutely not true for everyone else.

Workers in other sectors in high-tourism areas do not get paid more on average than workers in other areas of the same state, despite often dealing with an increased workload during tourist season. In addition, tourists clog up the roads, trash up beaches and parks, and jack up the cost of living, because land developers would rather turn properties into bed and breakfasts and summer homes than permanent residences for people who actually live there, and store owners know that tourists won't balk at paying $8 for a gallon of milk when it's $4 anywhere else in the state (or maybe they will, but they'll do it anyways) and locals don't really have a choice. If they complain, point out how fucking great tourists are for the economy.

As for tipped/commissioned service workers, not only are you affected by the higher cost of living, but you're also entirely at the mercy of the tourist season. During the summer you might make loads of money serving tables or guiding tours or whatever, but during the winter most of those businesses outright close down, so the amount you're making on average really isn't as good as you might think it is. You're better off than other workers in the area, no doubt, but that's only because they get shit pay all the time whereas you only get shit pay (or no pay) half the time.

There should be a literal tourist tax added to goods and services in high-tourism areas. Having a locally issued ID or other proof of residence would remove said tax, and the money from said tax should be used exclusively for projects and services that will benefit the local community of that area, or better yet distributed via a dividend to all permanent residents of that area, no strings attached.

So yeah, fuck tourists, everyone should stay at home all the time and never touch grass (unless I tell you to touch grass because you had a bad take), that is all
I mean I agree on some level with you but Kyoto is going bankrupt really fast ever since they stopped having tourists. And I don't know if the issues you are talking about affect every touristy location. I live in one of the most visited cities in the world and we have rather moderate standards of living, because tourists only keep to certain locations which are massively more expensive, but you can just not buy stuff from there. It's like 1-2% of the city that's more expensive because of tourists. And the most touristy locations are where luxury shops like Louis are located, so if I didn't want to stend a lot of money, I wouldn't go there anyway

I mean I agree on some level with you but Kyoto is going bankrupt really fast ever since they stopped having tourists. And I don't know if the issues you are talking about affect every touristy location. I live in one of the most visited cities in the world and we have rather moderate standards of living, because tourists only keep to certain locations which are massively more expensive, but you can just not buy stuff from there. It's like 1-2% of the city that's more expensive because of tourists. And the most touristy locations are where luxury shops like Louis are located, so if I didn't want to stend a lot of money, I wouldn't go there anyway
I'd be willing to accept that this might be a uniquely American phenomenon and other parts of the world have figured out better ways to host tourists while also supporting the local community, but tourist creep has happened to most (if not all) major U.S. cities. It's difficult to determine exactly how much of the hikes in cost of living can be attributed to tourism as the cost of living does just naturally go up in cities due to increased demand, but it's undeniably happened in cities that experience a lot of tourism (I've lived in Boston, Miami, New Orleans, and very briefly, thank god, New York City, and it was absolutely the case in those cities).

The area I live in right now isn't even a city, though, it's just a very popular tourist destination. There's plenty of undeveloped land, there's plenty of vacant housing, and there's plenty of derelict property, but it's all out of reach of anyone except established development and real estate firms, and it's only profitable for them to turn it into short-lease or high-income housing. This is only the case because tourism drives such a huge demand for short-lease housing and summer homes (snowbirds are tourists).

The cost of living is definitely more than 1-2% higher than the rest of the state I live in (which is already one of the most expensive states in the country), rent and property prices for comparable properties, when they're available at all, is 30-50% higher or more than the average in the rest of the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)