Post your searing hot takes

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
what is? be specific
  • game runs incredibly poorly. this isn't something that patches / the DLC have addressed in anywhere near good enough a capacity. just go to casseroya lake and you can almost definitely count the frames on one hand.
  • even when you aren't beset with frame drops and mons spawning out of bounds, the textures are just... bad. this goes for both the overworld textures (most notably the starting area) and on the mon textures; while some are just ugly (like rayquaza's scales or cresselia for some reason having fur), there have been cases where i'm in a normal battle and the opposing pokemon is rendered in its long-distance pixilated form because the distance between the camera and the mon is too large for the full texture to be called in.
  • the open world is essentially a lie. no difficulty scaling at all is a thing in successful games (see elden ring), but this simply falls flat in the pokemon gameplay structure - you can't just "outplay" a large level deficit, whether it be mindlessly chucking balls at an overlevelled pokemon or having to do heavily exploitative tactics like x items + ddance spam to beat trainer opps with a large gap. almost zero measures are also in place to actually guide you in the right location; the only real directions here are titan klawf, grass gym, and bug gym being almost right outside mesagoza (also shoutouts to the first team star base being on the wrong side as where you're actually going).
  • the world just has almost nothing to do in it. trainer battles being non-mandatory and also poorly marked mean that their existence is pretty much pointless. there are, if i remember, no side quests, or literally anything that looks interesting to discover. render distance is so poor and NPCs so sparse that, most often, the only thing you can actually look at is the ugly terrain. the actual places in this game are the single least memorable group in the series.
  • tutorial is, if i remember correctly, over a fucking hour long.
  • the DLCs are bland and boring with nothing to mix up the game. there are quite literally just "more paldea", which when the base game is so poor, isn't a good thing. teal mask has literally nothing going on and is an utter waste of storage space, indigo disk isn't much better with "it's in unova" being an incredible example of the marketing department tampering with the game and somehow one of only two things that the DLC actually has going on (with the other, being "you can catch all the past gen starters", being both not new and the only thing they even tried with).
  • these games have been a competitive disaster. from tera simply existing to pointless recover pp nerf to daft stuff like last respects to the gutting of removal options to no fixed IVs on static encounters to the ridiculous pay2win fiascos with sword/shield and legends: arceus mons. while it remains to be seen if they are ever legal in SV VGC, there is no way to obtain the gen 8 restricted legends in SV, so it's just reg D but again if caly-s is ever legal.
  • the post-game just has nothing of interest. once you've done the main DLC quests, there is quite literally only online to play; no shiny hunting legendaries like literally every single main-series game (bar PLA, which barely counts anyway since all legendary encounters are scripted and required for story) since shinies have existed, no battle facilities, no actual fun way of getting said legends (eg. max lair), you get the point. tera raid dens barely count; the reward for these if you don't bash the in-game ladder is essentially zero, and the raids themselves are disfunctional messes (where the only way past most of these event pokemon is to already be minted for teambuilding materials and build one of usually only 2-3 mons to solo it, also meaning you won't be going online for these).
  • removal of basic player options like set mode, skipping animations, mandatory EXP share despite the game not being balanced for it at all, and still no difficulty option. no option to skip animations made sense for PLA because the game was still fast and most animations were actually good (plus no multihit moves afaik). SV has neither of these things; the animations just look plain terrible for the overwhelming majority of moves, and any time saved with faster-but-uglier animations is taken away (plus a lot more) by the comically slow battle engine.
there's probably more but these are the ones that sprang to mind first.

Last edited:
  • game runs incredibly poorly. this isn't something that patches / the DLC have addressed in anywhere near good enough a capacity. just go to casseroya lake and you can almost definitely count the frames on one hand.
  • even when you aren't beset with frame drops and mons spawning out of bounds, the textures are just... bad. this goes for both the overworld textures (most notably the starting area) and on the mon textures; while some are just ugly (like rayquaza's scales or cresselia for some reason having fur), there have been cases where i'm in a normal battle and the opposing pokemon is rendered in its long-distance pixilated form because the distance between the camera and the mon is too large for the full texture to be called in.
  • the open world is essentially a lie. no difficulty scaling at all is a thing in successful games (see elden ring), but this simply falls flat in the pokemon gameplay structure - you can't just "outplay" a large level deficit, whether it be mindlessly chucking balls at an overlevelled pokemon or having to do heavily exploitative tactics like x items + ddance spam to beat trainer opps with a large gap. almost zero measures are also in place to actually guide you in the right location; the only real directions here are titan klawf, grass gym, and bug gym being almost right outside mesagoza (also shoutouts to the first team star base being on the wrong side as where you're actually going).
  • the world just has almost nothing to do in it. trainer battles being non-mandatory and also poorly marked mean that their existence is pretty much pointless. there are, if i remember, no side quests, or literally anything that looks interesting to discover. render distance is so poor and NPCs so sparse that, most often, the only thing you can actually look at is the ugly terrain. the actual places in this game are the single least memorable group in the series.
  • tutorial is, if i remember correctly, over a fucking hour long.
  • the DLCs are bland and boring with nothing to mix up the game. there are quite literally just "more paldea", which when the base game is so poor, isn't a good thing. teal mask has literally nothing going on and is an utter waste of storage space, indigo disk isn't much better with "it's in unova" being an incredible example of the marketing department tampering with the game and somehow one of only two things that the DLC actually has going on (with the other, being "you can catch all the past gen starters", being both not new and the only thing they even tried with).
  • these games have been a competitive disaster. from tera simply existing to pointless recover pp nerf to daft stuff like last respects to the gutting of removal options to no fixed IVs on static encounters to the ridiculous pay2win fiascos with sword/shield and legends: arceus mons. while it remains to be seen if they are ever legal in SV VGC, there is no way to obtain the gen 8 restricted legends in SV, so it's just reg D but again if caly-s is ever legal.
  • the post-game just has nothing of interest. once you've done the main DLC quests, there is quite literally only online to play; no shiny hunting legendaries like literally every single main-series game (bar PLA, which barely counts anyway since all legendary encounters are scripted and required for story) since shinies have existed, no battle facilities, no actual fun way of getting said legends (eg. max lair), you get the point. tera raid dens barely count; the reward for these if you don't bash the in-game ladder is essentially zero, and the raids themselves are disfunctional messes (where the only way past most of these event pokemon is to already be minted for teambuilding materials and build one of usually only 2-3 mons to solo it, also meaning you won't be going online for these).
  • removal of basic player options like set mode, skipping animations, mandatory EXP share despite the game not being balanced for it at all, and still no difficulty option. no option to skip animations made sense for PLA because the game was still fast and most animations were actually good (plus no multihit moves afaik). SV has neither of these things; the animations just look plain terrible for the overwhelming majority of moves, and any time saved with faster-but-uglier animations is taken away (plus a lot more) by the comically slow battle engine.
there's probably more but these are the ones that sprang to mind first.
the game does not run nearly as bad as you claim.
if exploits ruin your gaming experience, then don't use them.
if you want more trainer battles, battle them. being non mandatory is almost never a bad thing.
recover nerf was a fantastic design choice, and tera is such an interesting gimmick.
have you even played the post game? there is a giant quest line.

go ahead and type in "scarlet and violet ratings" into Google and see what critics and fans have to say. you will find quite a bit of 5-star reviews from people saying how the game is overhated. but of course gaming was better in your day, and the first pokemon game you played was the best one.

Pokemon players are the only people who will complain about a kid's game being simple and easy.
you know, now that you mention it, I recall a particular pokemon player complaining about how a game made for kids is easy.
3. The fights are hilariously easy, even though they have the potential to be difficult. The final boss of the game leads a tera-less kingambit and ends with a tera rock glimmora, making the entire fight fold to 1 fighting type with ice coverage.

Tea Guzzler

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
the game does not run nearly as bad as you claim.
just went to casseroya lake and this seems to be fixed, which is fair enough. still managed to crash the game simply by being in the indigo disk ice area and just searching for an online tera raid though. ultimately launch was when i played this game, and it was an absolute catastrophe then, so why would i give it another chance when only one of the many, many faults has been fixed
if exploits ruin your gaming experience, then don't use them.
"i have to artificially add difficulty to the game if i want to "choose my own path" in a game whose chief advertising point was just that because the developers were incapable of doing so themselves"
if you want more trainer battles, battle them. being non mandatory is almost never a bad thing.
i love trainer battles in this game. i love having to actually find them out in the overworld in usually the middle of fucking nowhere, with no obvious distinction from a random NPC until you see that the textbox is a different colour when you're right next to them. i also love all of the 0 rewards i get for battling them and the fact that it takes more effort to actually find them then the battle itself. i really prefer this method of game progression over just getting exp candies.
recover nerf was a fantastic design choice, and tera is such an interesting gimmick.
you have to be taking the piss here i can't lie. this is possibly the worst take i've seen this year so far
have you even played the post game? there is a giant quest line.
funnily enough, yes. being interrupted in the terapagos fight every 15 seconds and mindlessly mashing A through some terribly-written side-plots sounds like a cracking post-game doesn't it. i love when the only interesting bit of the post-game is no more than a 2-minute long encounter.
go ahead and type in "scarlet and violet ratings" into Google and see what critics and fans have to say.
1709928649619.png

great one
but of course gaming was better in your day, and the first pokemon game you played was the best one.
perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't. there is obvious bias for older games, but i like many newer games like elden ring, mk8d, hollow knight, and palworld. what i don't like is a clearly unfinished product with no cohesive structure, poor gameplay progression, a frankly ridiculous price for what it is, and ultimately no replay value / stuff to do after the story.

just went to casseroya lake and this seems to be fixed, which is fair enough. still managed to crash the game simply by being in the indigo disk ice area and just searching for an online tera raid though. ultimately launch was when i played this game, and it was an absolute catastrophe then, so why would i give it another chance when only one of the many, many faults has been fixed

"i have to artificially add difficulty to the game if i want to "choose my own path" in a game whose chief advertising point was just that because the developers were incapable of doing so themselves"

i love trainer battles in this game. i love having to actually find them out in the overworld in usually the middle of fucking nowhere, with no obvious distinction from a random NPC until you see that the textbox is a different colour when you're right next to them. i also love all of the 0 rewards i get for battling them and the fact that it takes more effort to actually find them then the battle itself. i really prefer this method of game progression over just getting exp candies.

you have to be taking the piss here i can't lie. this is possibly the worst take i've seen this year so far

funnily enough, yes. being interrupted in the terapagos fight every 15 seconds and mindlessly mashing A through some terribly-written side-plots sounds like a cracking post-game doesn't it. i love when the only interesting bit of the post-game is no more than a 2-minute long encounter.

View attachment 612920
great one

perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't. there is obvious bias for older games, but i like many newer games like elden ring, mk8d, hollow knight, and palworld. what i don't like is a clearly unfinished product with no cohesive structure, poor gameplay progression, a frankly ridiculous price for what it is, and ultimately no replay value / stuff to do after the story.
how is preventing your opponent from dragging out the game a bad decision. you just told everyone here that you play stall.
its not artificially adding difficulty. If someone wants an easy way through a game, they should get one. its not their fault you are a competitive level player who goes out of there way to get one of the few pokemon with dragon dance.
in terms of post game, I was referring to area zero.
the plot is rather good
you probobly just saw the big numbers. if you look at the top, it got some 7/10s by critics.
and you did not actually read the reviews.

Tea Guzzler

how is preventing your opponent from dragging out the game a bad decision. you just told everyone here that you play stall.
tell me you have never played competitive without... you get the joke i cba to finish it
1709931896719.png
(in descending order) balance, offense, offense, offense, ho, ho, offense, ho, ho, offense, balance, balance, ho, offense (with another ho as most recent team on another device)
yeah i play stall don't i. wanting a single good recovery move with non-zero distribution is stall isn't it. you also say that like being a stall player is some absurd taboo that should never be told to anyone which is just peak comedy lmao
its not artificially adding difficulty. If someone wants an easy way through a game, they should get one. its not their fault you are a competitive level player who goes out of there way to get one of the few pokemon with dragon dance.
this is besides the point i'm trying to make. this game marketed itself and treats itself as a choose-your-own-path kind of game; if that's the case, the path i want to choose is the path that i go around the region. if i encounter a brick wall, tough shit; in a game like elden ring for example, i can do starscourge radahn (a mid-game boss) as the first boss, and i can beat him undergeared and underlevelled by simply playing well enough, which is why no level scaling works in that game. mons does not have that luxury; unless you go out of your way to access the stupid stuff like x items and dragon dancers, as i said, then choosing your own path is met with a big "fuck you, come back later" sign when you get to something later than intended, which sort of goes against the entire point of choosing my own path (as the game is essentially telling me my choice was wrong) and thus essentially the main draw of the game.
in terms of post game, I was referring to area zero.
area zero itself is quite good. but area zero is the only bit after the main credits that is actually worth playing. for most games with DLC, the DLC itself is almost always considered part of the post-game, even when it isn't actually locked to the post-game. with my quarrels with the DLCs just being extensions of the main game and offering essentially nothing new, when i already didn't like the base game, this essentially makes area zero the only playable section.
the plot is rather good
very overhyped. the only bit of the plot that is remotely interesting is area zero (distinctly not terapagos; the base-game's area zero content + the sada/turo kitakami encounter only) because actual stuff happens. nemona essentially has no plot being a mindless "see battle, do battle" robot, arven's attempts charm but just misses the mark and comes off as uninteresting, who the fuck cares about penny lol. mons plots being bad is sort of just a given though, which is why i didn't initially fault the game for it.
you probobly just saw the big numbers. if you look at the top, it got some 7/10s by critics.
and you did not actually read the reviews.
reviews are obviously going to be skewed towards extremes just by human nature. i'm looking through some of these text-based reviews and a lot of these are either around the 6-7/10 range (which, to be clear, is the baseline for most games to even be considered playable in today's landscape), but a lot are also lower and not very many being higher than that range. this is obviously just going to be subject to sampling bias to some degree, but i'm just going off of the first pages of google, which seem to have a below-par outlook for the game (and especially the DLCs), though perhaps not extreme as mine.

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

Mfer you just mentioned Palworld as a new game you like next to (best game of all-time) Hollow Knight, I do not think your metric is very consistent
g prior to buying palworld i had not made a game purchase since the start of early 2023 and another year behind that for the last game besides sv, what do you want from me

Tea Guzzler

wait why, this is one of the best fucking eras in gaming ever LOL
have you got like a list or something, because a lot of the big titles i am just simply not interested in (bg3, mario wonder, totk), anything live service is automatically utter bin fodder, and haven't really caught wind of anything else (all of the above is also full price which can really fuck off)

have you got like a list or something, because a lot of the big titles i am just simply not interested in (bg3, mario wonder, totk), anything live service is automatically utter bin fodder, and haven't really caught wind of anything else (all of the above is also full price which can really fuck off)
Some other recent and upcoming games to try:

Alan Wake 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Final Fantasy 16
Dragon's Dogma 2 upcoming
Pikmin 4
Spider-Man 2
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Diablo 4
Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, Mortal Kombat
Sea of Stars
Hi-Fi Rush
Armored Core 6
Lies of P

Here is some others!

Stall sucks. Why the fuck would I want to play a match where you bring 6 weak passive blobs and switch around and spam recovery moves for 100+ turns? And what’s the fun in even using a team like that? Losing to a stall team is as much fun as having your fillings changed with no pain killers. As least losing to hyper offensive teams only takes a little time.

if you intentionally go for shit strawberries off the shelf then you will be met with a shit strawberry taste. for stuff like strawberries, grapes, etc. it's really easy to just buy bad ones, but when you get an actually nice packet with more strawberries than box then they actually taste nice.

have you ever played gens 1 or 9
9 is alright, 1 is the second worst, but 2 is total garbage

wanting a single good recovery move with non-zero distribution is stall isn't it.
you say that like recover is useless now. it is still an ecelent move. in no world should you be able to click recover the same amount of times as earthquake.

also, all of your teams are for ballenced hackmons. have you tried playing an actual format instead of playing pretend?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 14)