Post here if your parents won't let you buy Grand Theft Auto IV

Yeah, I was REALLY looking forward to this game as soon as I got my 360, but when it came out, I told my parents that I really wanted it, but they said they're aware of the violence and immature content that's in Grand Theft Auto, and they wanted me to stay away from it for now. I'm like, but i'm 17 now, so I hate that! 17 is as old as you have to be to buy an M for Mature game, so they should be able to accept it by now. I think my brother has only bought one M for Mature game, used I think, and that was at Christmas 2006 when I got my Wii.

So on Friday, my dad called and I said that I wanted to buy a certain game, and he said, "don't say a certain game, I know what game you're talking about," and I said that game was Mario Kart Wii, which I bought instead. My brother said that despite the fact he heard the game was awesome, we have enough to cover for it (Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 and 3 for 360, Rock Band for 360, Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, and a bunch of PS2 games) for the time being. A week ago, when my friend mentioned it during music class, I told him how my parents wouldn't let me buy it. My music teacher overheard it and mentioned that she actually likes to play Grand Theft Auto, and it went into a long-winded discussion about how younger people can find it inappropriate. I don't feel like going into that right away >_>

So if your parents won't let you buy GTA 4, or you feel this M for Mature stuff is bullshit, discuss.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since you're 17, what you should do is explain to your parents why you want to play it. Explain to them how you aren't an impressionable pre-teen and that you won't be doing anything you see in the game in real life. Explain to them about the free-roam world maybe (that's what interests me anyway). Otherwise, well, they're your parents and you live in their house so you're living under their rules.

As for your last line, no. If your parents won't let you buy GTAIV and you aren't of age, tough luck. They're doing their job. M for Mature stuff is not bullshit, I'd like to see more stores ID people so they can't get their hands on that stuff. It's rated M for a reason.

If people want to get into a topic about the ESRB, what's wrong with it, what's right with it, compare it to other ratings boards, etc, that would be fine, but whining because people are doing their jobs is useless.

if youre seventeen and your parents have this kind of deathgrip on your life, you have bigger fish to fry than not being able to beat up prostitutes

Well, I don't know if just saying "the game has such great ratings" is going to convince them. Nothing inspires me to go out and shoot people.

And I was objecting to M for Mature stuff in general because my parents don't usually have problems with me getting nearly any other game, so if I could, I could just get Bioshock, Gears of War, or any of those other M for Mature games for the 360 if I wanted.

Again, I have plenty to cover up though, so I don't NEED the game, although I would love to play it.

if youre seventeen and your parents have this kind of deathgrip on your life, you have bigger fish to fry than not being able to beat up prostitutes
MY BUDDIES DIED FACE DOWN IN THE MUD SO OUR 17 YEAR OLDS COULD ENJOY BEATING UP VIRTUAL PROSTITUTES.

Additionally I find myself agreeing with you, this is highly unusual.

IF you are old enough to buy it, you're old enough to play it. Game ratings are there for a reason.
What will your parents say as soon as your 21? No son your not allowed to buy alcohol.

Bullshit, go out buy it, and wave it in their faces and see what they do. If you've not got the cohonjes to do that, just buy it and hide it in your room and play it, unless they check up on you to make sure your not playing it. If worst comes to worst store it at a friends house

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
IF you are old enough to buy it, you're old enough to play it. Game ratings are there for a reason.
What will your parents say as soon as your 21? No son your not allowed to buy alcohol.
I'm inclined to agree with this. I will say that I have always been a very independent person, though. It's just like when I was about 15 and I wanted to see Friday. Can't rent it, rated R, and the parents won't rent it for me. So I got someone older to rent it for me and watched it, and then TOLD my parents I watched it.

Buy the game. If they're going to do something drastic like take it away from you, or god forbid destroy it and put you out $50+... then like Glen said, you've got bigger problems.

Buy the game. If they're going to do something drastic like take it away from you, or god forbid destroy it and put you out $50+... then like Glen said, you've got bigger problems.
I disagree. You're 17 now, you should be smart enough to convince your own parents through the use of facts and figures. Thats about all you should do IMO. Watch the Godfather with them or something, explain to them like its the Godfather of this era. GTA4 is probably one of the best games to come out so far, its been receiving critical reviews from so and so, etc. etc. Show them that Fox News is a bunch of bullshit and that they don't have to listen. Come with evidence and surely a rational parent will be proud that their child is ready to make a stand within his bounds.

Now if you're 18, I'd be inclined to agree with DM. (Although the least I'd do is simply tell my parents "I'm going to buy this game whether you like it or not".) The difference is simple: you are no longer a dependent on your parent's tax form and you can simply assert your new found freedom. You will sign your own papers and all that. But 17? Still a dependent. You got no legal ammo to use. Your parents on the other hand can go on and on about how you're still a child, and they'd be right as far as the law is concerned. At least in a year you'll have another set of arguments to use against your parents. (Of course, if your parents still got your car insurance, house, education etc. etc. covered, I'd be a bit more respectful if you know what I mean, unless you're willing to go all the way and work that off yourself).

Meh, as far as I see it, parents have a legal death grip on you till you're 18. You can't enter a school of higher education without their consent, you can't get a job without their consent, you can't get a driver's license without their consent... and these are the things that matter.

The idea of disobeying your parents behind their back so that you can play a fucking game is absurd. You have no rights to play that game. You destroy the trust between a parent and child: the least you should do is make it clear to them that you'll purchase the game whether they like it or not before you go ahead and do it IMO, especially when they're doing their job. Too many parents are negligent of their kids and you should be glad that your parents care enough to tell you not to play GTA4. (despite the fact that they're IMO wrong)

Ultimately: if playing GTA4 is safe for a 17 year old (and i believe it is), you should be able to put forth a strong argument that addresses all of your parent's concerns about the game. And damn it don't tell them that they are wrong (despite the fact that they probably are), have a fair and open discussion about it with them and respectfully put forth your opinion. See it to them "adult to adult", you don't want to just prove with words that you're ready, prove with your actions and tone of voice as well. Again, you have no right to play GTA4 in the first place.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, you bring up a lot of good points, and I suppose I agree with what you say... but as I made sure to point out, I've always been very self-reliant and independent, so that should be taken into consideration along with my advice.

Now if you're 18, I'd be inclined to agree with DM. (Although the least I'd do is simply tell my parents "I'm going to buy this game whether you like it or not".) The difference is simple: you are no longer a dependent on your parent's tax form and you can simply assert your new found freedom. You will sign your own papers and all that. But 17? Still a dependent. You got no legal ammo to use. Your parents on the other hand can go on and on about how you're still a child, and they'd be right as far as the law is concerned.
Not quite true. You can be claimed as a dependent on their tax return as long as you are part of their household; I was claimed as a dependent throughout my 4 years in college and a year afterward, up until 2 years ago when I finally moved out. Unless you actually leave your parents' house when you turn 18, you're not independent (in a tax sense).

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you have parents that don't let you buy GTA games, you have pretty damn good parents.

IMO anyway.

Not quite true. You can be claimed as a dependent on their tax return as long as you are part of their household; I was claimed as a dependent throughout my 4 years in college and a year afterward, up until 2 years ago when I finally moved out. Unless you actually leave your parents' house when you turn 18, you're not independent (in a tax sense).
Yes, that is entirely true. I probably should clarify: you can become independent and fill your own tax forms and pay yourself through college and get your own house/apartment when you're 18. That doesn't stop you from continuing to leech from your parents for the next 4 years however :-p

I got GTA4 and it really is great. And its not all about the violence, some of the main themes of the game are family and loyalty, something which I am sure your parents would find appropriate. If they are worried you'll turn into a Playboy X type character, dealing smack and betraying your loved ones, persuade them otherwise or just buy it yourself. Just don't become like Brucie (fucking alpha).

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
basically everything that has been said in this thread is right.

your parents are doing the right thing by discouraging you from getting gta4, thats natural, and its what parents do: try to stop you from fucking up

however you need to draw the line somewhere and at the age of 17 you should have established your independence from your parents' wishes. if that means buying a videogame or smoking weed or having sex then so be it!

If you have parents that don't let you buy GTA games, you have pretty damn good parents.

IMO anyway.
i disagree entirely

if you have parents that have raised you well enough to not let things as trivial as video games be poisonous, then you have good parents. censoring things like video games because they're too lazy to teach their children right from wrong is absolutely hideous.

not that i'm accusing the OP's parents of such, i'm just saying

also trax dont be silly, everyone should agree with me always

My parents won't let me buy it even when I turn 17 in a little over a month. Although they're fine with me buying No More Heroes if I ever get the money.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bah, GTA has never appealed to me because there's nothing really escapist about beating up prostitutes, fucking yourself up and getting a DUI, or in general being a violent degenerate thug. There's enough real shit going on hurting real people to waste time pretending you're doing the deed yourself. The fact they've turned it into entertainment speaks volumes about how low people have to sink to bring in $$$.

Although there was this one racing game that did feature run-ins with the cops, but the hero was an undercover police agent trying to bust a crime syndicate, and the extent of the anti-authority line was building up street cred to knock out the really big guys. I think it was Need for Speed 2, but I'm not sure. Either way the game was race-centric, not general degeneracy-centric.

Parents exist to protect their children. If they don't, they aren't good parents no matter how much your friends tell you otherwise. A mom or dad who buys their child booze, smokes, or violent video games is a moron, not a hero. A good parent doesn't want their child to beat prostitutes, commit robberies, or sideswipe cop cars, either in standard issue or virtual reality.

Even if you do end up getting the game against your parents wishes, always remember to be nice to them. It is clear they care for your welfare. Someday you'll either A: thank them or B: be a parent yourself and know what they were thinking.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't really have anything to add to what others in this thread have said; I just want to respond to Deck Knight. I think you're being a bit unfair to the Grand Theft Auto line. The specifics of the game (as you mentioned) you might not find appealing, but I think the game deserves respect for how revolutionary it really is in terms of a "sandbox" style world and gameplay. Grand Theft Auto IV (and III before it) has the kind of depth and freedom in how you play the game that modern video games should aspire to.

I guess this is really offtopic, and you probably already knew that anyway (and it wasn't what you were talking about regardless), but I felt like it needed to be said I guess :-P

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
if you have parents that have raised you well enough to not let things as trivial as video games be poisonous, then you have good parents. censoring things like video games because they're too lazy to teach their children right from wrong is absolutely hideous.
The thing is video games are hardly "trivial". Everything is there, affecting you in some way or another.

As much as I agree that a part of a good parent is to let you grow such that external factors don't leave you a huge impact, the other part is to protect their kids from influences from vidoegames such as these, since there is nothing to learn from it in anyway. The cases where the child fails to distinguish reality from videogames are far and rare, whereas there are probably more people who begin to see the type of lifestyle that they play through videogames as "cool" will always be there the more you play these kinds of games, no matter how good of a parents you are.

At least in my view, these kinds of games will always impact you in some way, so the best thing to do is avoid them as a whole.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't really have anything to add to what others in this thread have said; I just want to respond to Deck Knight. I think you're being a bit unfair to the Grand Theft Auto line. The specifics of the game (as you mentioned) you might not find appealing, but I think the game deserves respect for how revolutionary it really is in terms of a "sandbox" style world and gameplay. Grand Theft Auto IV (and III before it) has the kind of depth and freedom in how you play the game that modern video games should aspire to.

I guess this is really offtopic, and you probably already knew that anyway (and it wasn't what you were talking about regardless), but I felt like it needed to be said I guess :-P
The racing game I mentioned had a similarly expansive "sandbox" world, I think it was a 360 game, although it did have ever more difficult challenges. Some of the police chases were insane, especially when they pull out the Helicopter (can't escape on open road), Road Spikes (instant lose), and SUVs (instant momentum kill) all at once. They had police Corvettes of all things.

Some of the other games touted for their insanely huge Worldsize are MMORPGS like Elder Scrolls and Morrowind. Maple Story has a pretty expansive world at this point too, although its a different kind of game. Eventually though it comes to a point where the overworld is so massive and spread out that it could make a game unplayable. Think Wind Waker before Cyclone Travel, only 100x worse. There has to be a managable way to traverse a world, otherwise its just endless slogging through the desolate backwoods hoping for the axe murderer glitch to occur.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bah, GTA has never appealed to me because there's nothing really escapist about beating up prostitutes, fucking yourself up and getting a DUI, or in general being a violent degenerate thug. There's enough real shit going on hurting real people to waste time pretending you're doing the deed yourself. The fact they've turned it into entertainment speaks volumes about how low people have to sink to bring in $$$.

Although there was this one racing game that did feature run-ins with the cops, but the hero was an undercover police agent trying to bust a crime syndicate, and the extent of the anti-authority line was building up street cred to knock out the really big guys. I think it was Need for Speed 2, but I'm not sure. Either way the game was race-centric, not general degeneracy-centric.
Then what do you have to say about movies like The Godfather which touch on the same setting? The Godfather is considered to be art while Grand Theft Auto IV is trash? The game lets you do some things that aren't accepted in reality, but that comes with the subject matter that's being covered. This is an interactive medium. Rockstar pushes the envelope and they receive flak for it because video games are considered children's toys by much of the public.

GTAIV interest me (not enough to make me buy it day one, but I'll definitely pick it up on the cheap) because of the following:
- huge free-roam city
- satire of modern day America and capitalism
- apparently a very good narrative
- multiplayer seems to have a virtual form of one of my favourite playground games (cops and robbers) but this time we actually get the tools to do it right =D 16 players with cars and stuff sprawling an entire city with radar, weapons, etc? Sign me up!

The game focuses around an immigrant (formerly a prisoner of war) who's pulled into the underground world of gangs as he tries to start life anew in America after falsely falling for the hype of The American Dream. There's obviously going to be certain content that comes with this territory. It'd be unrealistic if there wasn't any blood, sex, or drugs. Should Rockstar just not go there because of these issues? No. They should make a game fit with their vision and let parents decide what their children should or should not play. This game is not aimed at children (they probably wouldn't get half the references in these games anyway), it's aimed at adults. It's rated as a game for adults. It has the video game equivalent of an R rating.

The game you're thinking of is True Life I believe. One of the many GTA clones that spawned after the success of Grand Theft Auto III.

Deck Knight

Then what do you have to say about movies like The Godfather which touch on the same setting? The Godfather is considered to be art while Grand Theft Auto IV is trash? The game lets you do some things that aren't accepted in reality, but that comes with the subject matter that's being covered. This is an interactive medium. Rockstar pushes the envelope and they receive flak for it because video games are considered children's toys by much of the public.
I Never said GTA VI (or the series for that matter) was trash. I said it didn't appeal to me because of the various degeneracies known to be in it. Degeneracies that would repel me from purchasing the game even if I owned a 360, which I don't because I'm not a big FPS fan nor do I have many neighborhood buddies to play, say, Madden. That GTA has degeneracies is a fact, that I think its indicative of a far baser culture than previous decades is an opinion, that I don't like it is a preference. Obviously it cannot be a trash game because it is doing what games are supposed to do: make money for gaming companies while entertaining gamers.

As far as The Godfather, its all about character development and historical accuracy. There were some pretty vicious mafia guys back in the day. Thing is, The Godfather isn't all about shooting down cops, pulling off jobs, and dangerous Italian guys. Nearly every character in the movie is distinct and unique.

Since movies are not interactive (esp. old ones like The Godfather), they have to have more story elements and deeper characters than most video games. This is especially true of movies trying to recreate an old reality. The Godfather is a classic because it does all these things so well. Rest assured, as funny as I think he is, I doubt any Jim Carrey movie is going to be talked about as a classic 50 years from now.

Even then, most parents still wouldn't show an uncut version on The Godfather to their children until they hit at least 15 or so, and definetely not 9 year olds. Since I'll be teaching a Confirmation Class, I'm going to have to ask our 9th grader's parents if it's OK for them to watch the Passion of the Christ, which itself has no shortage of violent and disturbing images. My only point is, responsible parents should be in control of what their children access to the best of their ability.

Firestorm

I believe you're doing GTAIV a disservice by inferring that it is a game that's "all about shooting down cops, pulling off jobs, and dangerous italian guys." There is more to it than that. If the violence turns you off, that's okay, but you shouldn't discount the entire game because of the violence. GTAIV has great character development on the protagonist as far as I know (again, haven't played it yet) and from what I've seen, the satire is great. The world feels like it's actual a real location and alive. That's obviously not something that applies to movies, but for a video game, it's an amazing feat.

Also, I'm not sure why people always focus on the "beating up prostitutes" thing because you can go through the entire game without laying a hand on one. It's just something some players decide to do with the tools given to them by the game.

I agree parents shouldn't let kids play or watch these things until they feel the child is mature enough to handle it. I mean, the age limits are just guidelines. If the parent feels their 17 year old isn't ready for it, they can say "no" although it won't help much. If a parent feels their 15 year old is ready for an R rated movie or M rated game, then they have the right to let that child play or watch the game/movie.

By the way, the 360 isn't all about FPSes and Madden. It's the closest thing we're gonna get to a PS2 this generation. It's got a great variety of games on it =) Great RPG selection, platformers, action-adventure, shooters, etc.

Seriously, it's within your power financially and legally to buy the game...I suppose it comes down to convincing your parents that you running people over on the TV screen

A. Does not make you a bad person.
B. Does not mean they have failed as parents.

There's always the dynamic of "caring too much" e.g. the hypocritical twang of concern you get from watching your little sister start drinking or the classic hippies-turned-parents-turned-narcs. But I also think the fact that you're 17 and your parents still have this sort of hold on your life shows that you're probably mature enough for GTA IV, especially seeing as you have (so far) respected their wishes as parents. They've done their job just fine, so from what are they trying to "protect" their well-raised 17 year old kid?

PS-The Godfather is OK because it's not a realistic portrayal of violence. Real human violence is far more merciless and unemotional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)