Porygon2 or PorygonZ?

What one will be more useful in Diamond/Pearl and Battle Revolution? They can both use Tri Attack now as it counts as a special attack. There are some other moves too, like discharge (which is a weaker thunderbolt) and magnet rise (which switches its ability to levitate.) Here are their base stats.

Porygon2
HP 85 / Atk 80 / Def 90 / Sp. Atk 105 / Sp. Def 95 / Spd 60

PorygonZ
HP 85 / Atk 80 / Def 70 /Sp. Atk 135 / Sp. Def 75 / Spd 90

Porygon2 has great stats all around which is a good thing. His speed is below average, but Thunder Wave or Agility gets around it. Some people seem to have been using him as a starter. He also has trace as his ability.

PorygonZ is Special sweeper material. His base defenses are 20 points lower than Porygon2. He has the highest Sp. Atk out of all of the normal pokemon. It even matches Alakazam's! That's saying something! The max Sp. Atk for PorygonZ with a beneficial nature, 31 IVs, and 252 EVs in it is a huge total of 405! It's fantastic for a non-legend. He gets two abilities which are download (depending on the foe's strongest stat PorygonZ raises itself in that stat) or Adaptibilty (If PorygonZ uses a move the same type as it the power is increased.) I don't understand if adaptibility adds onto STAB or if it's just STAB itself.

So the big question is, will Porygon2 still be useful and be used? Or will his counterpart take over?

P.S. Does amyone think that they both resemble ducks? In 3D Porygon2 moves like one of those bird things that dips it's beak into the water, and then lifts it out.

If you're trying to decide whether or not to evolve your Porygon2, just clone it first/

Otherwise, the 2 have completely different uses. Porygon2 is tankish and should trace while Porygon-Z is more sweeper oriented. Adapatability just adds an additional 1.5x to attacks of the same type.

I don't think Porygon2 is going anywhere, though, I plan on transfering mine over to DP and keep using it to counter Garchomp/Gyarados.

I'm not a big porygon2 fan. I see it on netbattle and it dies quite easily before it can really do much. Maybe i've only seen inexperienced players use it, but whatever.

There aren't enough good things to say about PorygonZ. No comparison in my opinion

Adapatability just adds an additional 1.5x to attacks of the same type.

Haha "just" :P

It's a massive boost. Alakazam's Psychic with STAB is weaker than Tri Attack with STAB and Adaptability. Return, even off of base 80 attack, can deal very good damage to a Blissey with STAB+Adaptability.

I'm definitely going to have a PorygonZ floating around.

I don't think there's a comparison because, ABSOLute, the two do such different things. Z can be terrifying late game, or with Agility/Nasty Plot passing (lol, what can't?), and 2 makes a fantastic Gyara counter, and has enough SpA to hit some things for a decent amount.

This makes me think of something. Isn't this the first pokemon line where a final stage and a middle stage can both be used competitively on the same team? The Eevee line doesn't count because Eevee isn't useful.

By the way, will Modest work for PorygonZ? I need an EV spread and moveset for him.

This makes me think of something. Isn't this the first pokemon line where a final stage and a middle stage can both be used competitively on the same team?
Scyther and Scizor
Trapinch and Flygon
Electabuzz and Electivire
Magmar and Magmortar

"Competitively" is a relative word...

Trace is the biggest thing setting the two apart, when taken into account with their stats and such; they serve completely different purposes.

Also, I believe Trace got a small upgrade this gen with it activating Intimidate, though I'm not sure exactly on the details.

I used to prefer PorygonZ the most but when the Offical Porygon2 thread was made i started to love P2 more than PZ and i'm actually training one for my team, with the suggested Moveset...

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
Trait: Trace
EVs: 228 HP / 172 Def / 108 SAtk
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave
-Recover

Counters Gyarados and Garchomp easily :P, and can also deal some damage to other Pokes, but being this kind of defensive means you will just damage foes with Super Effective moves, that's why no Tri Attack here but having BoltBeam instead

^Heh, that's the exact Pory I've been using since FR/LG! Though my EVs are a bit different, the idea's the same.
He's great, and gets even better this generation with the countering possibilities.
PZ is amazing in his own way of course. The two just fill such different roles.
I like P2's role better, as there are alot of pokemon that can special sweep with low defenses, but not many can stick around the way P2 can.

Speaking as a fan. I'd pick Pory2.

Speaking logically, theres no reason to use Pory 2 over Z. If you want a bulky Normal type that can hit decently, theres far better options.

You can't even compare this to something like Scyther and Scizor. They have entirely different typings and stat distributions therefore its entirely valid to compare them.

PoryZ and Pory2 are virtually the same with a few minor tweaks except the other is twice as fast with more than twice the offense with only abit less defense and the same bulky HP.

If I'm going to use Porygon2 I may use the same fun set I used before except its more viable now since I can use its better spcl.atk now.

Porygon2@Chesto/Lum Berry
-Rest
-Recycle
-Tri-Attack
-Thunder Wave or Agility

I think in this set I'd prefer Agility over T-Wave simply because this particular set lets it laugh at status. I know this set can almost even outstall Leech Seeders one on one with the right EV spread which is a feat in itself. I used to prefer Return for the sake of not being walled by Blissey and better PP.

But if I'm correct since Porygon2 also gets Download I could simply bring it in on something I can steal a spcl.atk boost off.

Who's another bulky normal special attacker? Clefable? Togekiss? Both of them have trouble handling the things Porygon2 should be taking down with relative ease such as Stone Edge Gyarados.

If Porygon-Z had a less attack and more speed, it'd be an undisputably good upgrade but at 90 it doesn't outrun any of the threats that Porygon2's 60 can besides Heracross, Metagross, and Medicham (which neither can counter anway). As it is, it has the same problem as Lucario but no end/salac to get around it.

Besides, Recycle + Micle Berry + Zap Cannon looks extremely cheesy.

Porygon gets Agility as I mentioned earlier. With Agility you wouldn't even need to put EV's in PorygonZ's speed to outspeed everything as it already breaks 216, the maximum you'd ever need is 198 anyway.

Keep note that Porygon2 actually still needs to invest abit in speed to outspeed all with Agility which is something in favour of Z. It also keeps its Alakazam level spcl.atk but has the Adaptability boost too while still being able to afford more EV's off into the defenses and HP.

To save you checking heres the speed.

-Porygon2-
60 base speed
Minimum- 156
Maximum- 219
+Speed- 240
Require EV's to reach 198 speed-
168 without nature
96 with nature

PorygonZ-
90 base speed
Minimum- 216
Maximum- 279
+Speed- 306
Required EV's to reach 198 speed-
None.

So basically if you invest in maxed out speed than PorygonZ can beat base 100's without nature. If you invest in Agility, it beats everything without any investment while being able to max out spcl.atk to 405 with double STAB and have 252 EV's to spare.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Pory2 fills some really tough holes - specifically, Garchomp and Gyarados. It can survive attacks from both and respond with OHKOs, and it can Recover off damage to boot. That alone makes it a commendable choice.

PoryZ is a little harder to use. It doesn't really counter anything, so it's more of a revenge killer, or late-game finisher. In both regards, it's stunted a bit by the fact that 90 speed is really not great. On the other hand, with some good team support you can still set up a sweep pretty easily. Just look out for fast Choice Banders or Choice Scarfers who don't stick around long enough for you to shut them down. ;[

I know PoryZ's speed isn't high enough to be as useful, but it would be a good idea to baton pass a agility or calm mind to it late in the battle.

El_Sargento, you proved me wrong. There aren't that many pokemon like that that will be useful on the same team though. And Trapinch is definately not useful in standard where Flygon is.

Trapinch can trap Celebi, survive a Psychic, then OHKO with HP Bug. At least in Adv.

Btw, Trapinch can be comparised with Dugtrio, not Flygon.

Yeah, but there's not much else it can do. It can trap and 100 base attack isn't anything to laugh at. But otherwise, it's just a first stage pokemon that has as much attack as its final stage, but everything else sucks. It gets killed off easily.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Note that Trapinch can be a somewhat viable option in DP now, as it is "faster" than everything in a Trick Room with its supersonic 10 base speed and is not slacking in the attack department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)