Policy Review Policy Review - Server Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Approved by DougJustDoug

Forum Rules said:
If you are not an experienced member of the CAP community, it is strongly recommended that you do not post in this thread.

This thread is intended to contain intelligent discussion and commentary by experienced members of the CAP project regarding CAP policy, process, and rules. As such, the content of this thread will be moderated more strictly than other threads on the forum. The posting rules for Policy Review threads are contained here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpos...86&postcount=2
As server moderators have found in many instances, the names of the server rules sometimes don't reflect the actual rules. In quite a few cases, we have found that we reprimand rule-breakers with just part of the rule or the title. This has caused arguments with server goers, particularly with Rules 3 and 16. The descriptions and titles could almost be different rules! That being said, I am proposing changes to the current rules that I hope will improve moderation quality and make it easier for rule-breakers to understand what they did wrong.

Rule 1. Use English in the main chat. If you wish to speak in non-English to other users, then use PM. Falar Ingles. Parla Inglese. Habla Inglés.

I feel that it is necessary to put this in other languages solely for the reason that if people can't speak English, they probably won't be able to read the rule.

Rule 2. Do not ask for battles in the main chat. If you want to find someone to battle, please use the Find Tab located near the top right-hand side of the main Shoddy screen.

No changes needed here.

Rule 3. Blatant rudeness, hate, or offensive comments are not allowed. Excessive Cursing is also not allowed. All forms of racist or bigoted commentary and slang is forbidden. Be courteous to others on the server. Moderators don't take kindly to flaming, and will kick or ban you if it doesn't stop. If you are being flamed, PM a moderator on the server for help, and provide the log.

This is one of the rules that needed a large update. I went into more detail with this because it happens a lot on the server.

Rule 4. No Smogon bashing.
In case you haven't noticed, this project is sponsored by Smogon. If you have negative things to say about Smogon, then keep it to yourself.

Self explanatory.

Rule 5. No Shoddy/Official/Colin bashing. Some people have issues with the Shoddy Battle program, the official server, or the Shoddy Battle programming team -- but that doesn't mean you can bitch about it on our server. Colin wrote Shoddy Battle and had the generosity to make it open-source. Without it, we'd still be playing theorymon with our pokemon. Out of respect for that extraordinary contribution to competitive pokemon, hateful statements about Shoddy are not tolerated.

Fine.

Rule 6. In general, all forms of discussion of sex, flirting, or otherwise suggestive commentary is discouraged. A common technique for pedophiles and other sexual predators to find victims, is to lead online chat conversations into the sexual arena. This is a pokemon server, so it's best to avoid sexual conversations altogether. A certain amount of bawdy "guy talk" is inevitable, but comments will be moderated if it gets out of hand.

Nothing needed here.

Rule 7. Linking or advertising other websites is generally not a good idea. Smogon links and refs are totally cool, obviously. If it's purely for a pokemon reference, a link to Serebii or similar, that's OK. But, blatantly referring or linking people to other servers and other forums is not acceptable. This also includes Youtube videos, Rick Rolls, and other internet pranks. If you feel that your link pertains to the current topic on the server, PM a moderator for permission.

It happens way too much as of now, but sometimes a good youtube vid is welcome, so I added that bit in.

Rule 8. No chat flooding. Intentionally flooding the chat with excessive posts and/or excessively long posts will be immediately regarded as an attack on the server and will be dealt with swiftly and harshly by our Modbot, HAL9000.

Just added that little bit in.

Rule 9. Chat scrolling is not allowed. Please make one decent post instead of several little posts, each containing a fragment of a sentence or thought. It's annoying to read, and it scrolls the chat unnecessarily. If it doesn't set off HAL, you will be kicked by our moderators anyways. If it continues, you will be banned.

There are a ton of people who do this, and really, it's unnecessary.

Rule 10. Chat stretching is not allowed. Maybe you think it's cool to type the same letters over and over like thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssss!!!! Well, it isn't. It's annoying as hell to everyone else. So don't do it. You will be kicked or banned.

Small change.

Rule 11. Excessive use of capital letters is not allowed. It gets annoying to everyone on the server IF YOU TALK LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. Lay off the caps lock. If it's just for emphasis, thats fine once in a while. If its continuous, you will be kicked or banned.

It really needed a description.

Rule 12. Please keep alternate accounts to a minimum. Preferably use the same name as your Smogon username. If you need an alt for laddering, thats fine, but please don't make too many. We'd like to develop a sense of community on the server. It's hard to do that if people log in under different alts all the time. Mods can see alts, so lying doesn't help. Blatantly spoofing another's name is also not allowed without permission.

Since we now have a leaderboard, alts are somewhat necessary. I changed the rule to reflect this. Also, spoofing names is annoying and some mods agree that it should stop.

Rule 13. Do not make offensive usernames. If you do so, you will be asked to log in under a new name. If you continue to use the offensive name, then you will be banned.

No changes needed.

Rule 14. No noob talk on the server. This is not a "Welcome to Pokemon" server. This a server for competitive pokemon players. Asking noob questions about the game is not allowed. It makes the server look bad to advanced players. Ingame discussions are allowed, but not basic stuff. "How do I beat the Elite Four?" is a noob question. "Here's how I beat the Elite Four with a single level 40 Starly" -- that's worth talking about. Basic questions about the CAP project and pokemon are expected and encouraged.

Nothing needed here.

Rule 15. Cut the nonsense. It's amazing how much unintelligible crap people post in the chat. No one likes to read idiotic non-discussions of pure stupidity. Long strings of smileys, l33t speak, random utterances unrelated to the current chat -- keep all that to yourself. Also, dumb back-and-forths are really unnecessary. "I pwned you that battle!", "No u didnt", "U suck", "No u suck", "lol", "lol back atcha", ":-P" "o_O" --- chat streams like that are ridiculous and will be moderated.

Fine.

Rule 16. Abusing or insulting a moderator is a really bad idea. You may question a decision, but do it respectfully. Moderators don't take kindly to people questioning their every move and insulting them. Questioning a moderator's decision is fine if you feel you have a legitimate case. But, once the moderator has explained a decision, then let it go.

Another problem rule. We've gotten so many people screaming "BUT I DIDNT INSULT YOU!" when we show this rule. This should fix it.

Rule 17. Children under age 13 are not allowed.
Because of COPPA, we strictly enforce our age policy. If we somehow determine, or if you announce that you are under the age of 13, you will be banned immediately. No exceptions.

Self-explanatory.

Rule 18. No trolling on the server. This includes: Making alts and denying it, intentionally giving out fake information and claiming it to be true, and acting like a complete moron on the server. Punishment is proportional to the situation.

This has really gotten to be a problem on the server, and I feel it warrants a new rule.

I'd like comments from all the server moderators on this matter.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really like the new rule changes. Nice job Mag ;)

I still feel that there shouldn't be titles per-say, just unbold them all on the server and here. Thats just my opinion however.

EDIT: As said on the server, maybe combine 8-11.

Rule 8: Don't make stupid posts in the mainchat. This includes chat spamming, chat stretching, chat flooding, and excessive capital letters. It gets really annoying to read, and offenders will be swiftly and harshly moderated.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Advertising other servers should not be alowed as one of the rules also.
Rule 7. Linking or advertising other websites is generally not a good idea. Smogon links and refs are totally cool, obviously. If it's purely for a pokemon reference, a link to Serebii or similar, that's OK. But, blatantly referring or linking people to other servers and other forums is not acceptable. This also includes Youtube videos, Rick Rolls, and other internet pranks. If you feel that your link pertains to the current topic on the server, PM a moderator for permission.

Its there, and I don't think it warrants a new rule. However, Arin in particular gets annoying advertising via PM for TU.

Could we possibly convince Arin to only advertise to people who have signed up for a "tourny alert program" Or something?

bumfacepik said:
Advertising other servers should not be alowed as one of the rules also.
I have always interpreted that as part of the no linking to other sites Bumfacepik. Actually, stuff like that is exactly what I think "no linking to other sites" is largely for. I don't know exactly how Doug feels about it, but I have no problem with a funny or entertaining link to youtube here and then. Also, as far as internet pranks go, I am usually not amused most of the time by them and consider it very rude.

I highly approve of rule 18.

tennisace

Could we possibly convince Arin to only advertise to people who have signed up for a "tourny alert program" Or something?
Or we could just have him and others not advertise at all. Really, if people wanted to go to another server, they'd be on there.

This all sounds good. Although I will say the mods are a little erractic in how strict they are about them, there's nothing you can do about that.

Go with Tennis' idea about combining those rules. I was going to make the same suggestion but I had to leave before I could post. I REALLY like the addition of that last rule. I've had some problems with people (read: person) since no trolling wasn't clearly defined before.

I thoroughly agree with rule 18

On a serious note; what is classified as an offensive username?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the proposed rule changes.

I am concerned about the length of the server rules for purposes of showing them in mainchat (when you ask Hal to "Show Rule X". Some of those descriptions are very long. Perhaps we could come up with some abbreviated wording for Hal to use? I have considered having Hal display only the rule summary (the part in bold at the front of each rule). I also would like a way to use the bot to get the more detailed descriptions, but I'm not sure how I would implement it.

But, for purposes of implementing on the forum sticky, I think these are good. I would like Rule 16 to have a one-sentence summary. I think the two sentences proposed above could be consolidated a bit.

I also would like a way to use the bot to get the more detailed descriptions, but I'm not sure how I would implement it.
Let HAL PM people instead of walling/showing in the chat?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That would require telling Hal who to send the PM to. For example:
DougJustDoug: Hal, show rule 10 to pokenoob54
HAL9000: pokenoob54, please check your PM to see Rule 10.
The "to" could probably be eliminated from the command string. This would not be terribly hard to implement, but it is more work to command the bot. Typing in usernames is a pain.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On the whole I agree with most of this, but for these bits:
9: If it continues, you will be banned.
10: You will be kicked or banned.
11: If its continuous, you will be kicked or banned.
13: If you continue to use the offensive name, then you will be banned.

Do people need to be told that they will be banned/kicked? If its against the rules the punishment should be kinda obvious, also removing these would reduce the text that HAL puts up.

Moderators don't take kindly to people questioning their every move and insulting them. Questioning a moderator's decision is fine if you feel you have a legitimate case. But, once the moderator has explained a decision, then let it go.
This is fine so long as Mods do not punish people for questioning unless it is entirely stupid, we don't want to be any further "above" the normal members than needed and I am afraid that this will be used as an excuse by some mods.

Flaming, Questioning or Insulting a mod should be dealt with no more and no less harshly than doing the same to any other person.
In fact that whole rule could be re worded.. how about:

Respect Moderators decisions.
Sometimes you may disagree with something that a moderator does, in which case feel free to question why, but do not pressure them to reverse a punishment, they probably know far more about the rules than you.

This removes the idea that "Abusing or insulting" a moderator is worse than doing the same to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)