SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

It’s just a shame that they didn’t take advantage of the opportunity to get rid of Toxapex
For what it's worth, a lot of other bulky pokemon got the boot. Chansey (and Blissey ig), Alomomola, Tangrowth, Celesteela, Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno for pressure stall, Slowbro/Slowking, Skarmory, Suicune, Gliscor, Porygon2, Cresselia, (Bulky) Heatran, Amoonguss and Chesnaught will all not be returning, so that's so many bulky mons we don't have to deal with. Oh and lol pex will probs get banned anyway it's near unbreakable now with the lower power level

Ok so for anyone interested I did a little synposis of what the leaked dex (assuming it is correct) would mean for the new overused metagame.

1) A chart of important/relevant/semi-relevant pokemon that will NOT BE SEEN in gen8ou (ubers arent playable as well)

If the leaks stay true then we will miss an absolutely vast amount of OU-powerhouses. (yes I forgot heatran)

2) A chart of pokemon that could be relevant within the gen8ou metagame, this list consists of pokemon that technically have to potential to be good/viale/semi-viable. I tried to include as many niche-pokemon as possible without going too far into "what if.." direction.
For example: Hippowdon and Excadrill are playable -> donphan not on the list. Just an example, as you can see I still included many things

Last edited:

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looks like there is no chance of seeing chansey.
Oh hey a meta worth playing.
This generation looks like a Dark-type paradise to me.

It's worth mentioning that Knock Off got an indirect buff - with no Mega Stones or Z-Crystals, it will always get boosted damage on the first hit.
Our lord and savior Bisharp will rise again and protect us from the spook sword.

So this gen Stall core will be Ferro / Toxapex / Clefable or Quagsire right? Probably Goth unless she's banned and then space for any of Mantine, Avalugg, Mandibuzz, Mew, and some of the new pokemon.

I'm loving it. This meta reminds me sooooo much of Third Gen (or even DPPl). 401 Pokémon (RSE had 386), from which a bunch of them are reliably usable and no Power Creep. Fifth Gen is by far the greatest Pokémon Generation in terms of raw ambition and content, but introduced the power creep we all know. There're decens of Pokémon like Kommo-o that, even if still usable, would've been absolute madness in 3rd or 4th Gen environments, but the power creep doesn't allow them to do that great. Just look at the list:

This can't be the final dex cut, a lot of slow, frail and mediocre competitive pokémons made??? cuting a lot of mons to give the others a chance to shine it's great, but why not just give a little boost to bad mons? why not give a galarian evolution to bad pokemons, instead of making a regional form whit an evolution?
Gamefreack still doing questionable choices.

Haven't been to smogon in a long time and I logged in to just say this: When it was announced that not all Pokemon would be in SwSh, I was in the "I don't care" camp. Well, my top 10 favorite Pokemon are Electrode, Absol, Joltik, Kabutops, Politoed, Naganadel, Ekans, Druddigon, Houndoom, and Greninja...

Literally only ONE in my top 10 got in. LOL

I'm loving it. This meta reminds me sooooo much of Third Gen (or even DPPl). 401 Pokémon (RSE had 386), from which a bunch of them are reliably usable and no Power Creep. Fifth Gen is by far the greatest Pokémon Generation in terms of raw ambition and content, but introduced the power creep we all know. There're decens of Pokémon like Kommo-o that, even if still usable, would've been absolute madness in 3rd or 4th Gen environments, but the power creep doesn't allow them to do that great. Just look at the list:

Sure, I'll not go into a deep competitive analysis, but from the looks of it Kommo-o is 200% times better. Intimidate Qwilfish is not a bad spiker, Skarm isn't in the games and neither is Celesteela, meaning Corviknight has no competition in the Steel/Flying department. Megas are gone, Heatran and Landorus are no more, Magearna is rekt... Just look at the image, what are the best Pokémon you find? Things like Hawlucha —with no Electric Terrain support—, , Aegislash, Reuniclus, Hydreigon, Ferrothorn, Toxapex, Gyarados and then things like Hippowdon, Togekiss, Conkeldurr, Toxicroak, Mamoswine, Weavile, Bisharp...

Idk, it looks great. Oc, for the sake of in-game content I'll always preffer the entire dex. But, for the sake of playability, I do think this is not a step in the wrong direction. I'm pretty sure 8th Gen Meta would've remain Mage, Torn, Land, Regen Tangrowth and other things we are bored of as top OU contendants, just because even if the meta changes, they are so, soooo ahead in terms of typing, abilities, movepool or a combination of those that will always reign above everything else.
Looking more slowly to the chart I've noticed that Flygon is in. Do you think that this will be the time that Flygon will get his Mega?

So this gen Stall core will be Ferro / Toxapex / Clefable or Quagsire right? Probably Goth unless she's banned and then space for any of Mantine, Avalugg, Mandibuzz, Mew, and some of the new pokemon.
Reuniclus looks like it will be a stall staple, as it seems to be the only other relevant Regenerator mon so far.

I could see people using protect+lefties on Reuni and Pex and just constantly switching to waste Max turns.

To elaborate more on my Fighting-type comment.
Fighting-type is my favorite, and overall it's not like they didn't get represented well enough, but the swarm of mono Fighting is really questionable to me, even though I had to look it up, and they also did something similar in Gen 5, my favorite gen.
Pure Fighting mons in the Dex, final forms/only form: Machamp, 3 Hitmons, Conkeldurr, Sawk, Throh, Passimian. 8 pure Fighting mons.
Dual Fighting mons in the Dex, final forms/only form: Lucario, Toxicroak, Gallade, Scrafty, Pangoro, Hawlucha, Bewear, Kommo-o. 8 dual typed Fighting mons, but two of them share the same typing.
Bringing both the Scrafty line and the Pangoro line seems like a waste to me, since both have the same typing, but switched. If I were to choose, I would have only brought Scrafty to make place for another combination.
Now then, back to the issue, why on Earth would they add another 3 mono Fighting mons to the already strong enough roaster to make it 11?! We lost Breloom/Chesnaught (Grass), we lost Heracross (Bug), we lost Poliwrath/Keldeo (Water), we lost the Fire/Fighting mons, we lost Crabominable (Ice) for more mono Fighting types. I really damn hope Darmanitan turns out to be Ice/Fighting to ease the pain.

Looking more slowly to the chart I've noticed that Flygon is in. Do you think that this will be the time that Flygon will get his Mega?
I’m sure people made that joke back in the summer, since Flygon’s inclusion has been long known. (It was even shown using a new move that’s basically Physical Snarl in the trailer shown at Worlds)

Reuniclus looks like it will be a stall staple, as it seems to be the only other relevant Regenerator mon so far.

I could see people using protect+lefties on Reuni and Pex and just constantly switching to waste Max turns.
If it keeps its HA (among other things), Corsola may be sorta relevant too... but I don’t see it sticking around in OU.

Excited for Vileplume to be more viable given that it’s the only poison/grass that made it in.

Also hoping for new mons to get cool abilities. I’ll be very sad if Malamar is the only one with Contrary.

We don’t know all the types yet right? Still holding out for some cool new dual typings even though it doesn’t seem that likely.

Edit: forgot Roserade but it’s more offensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)