In Progress Pokemon Stadium JP Mechanics Mod(?)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Similar to my Pokemon Yellow mechanics post, only a bit less niche I suppose. I bought this up to Marty on Discord, so I thought I'd bring it somewhere where it's more open to questions.

In Japan, there was a specific version of Pokemon Stadium we never got in the west. This has often been referred to as "Stadium Zero" or "Stad0" by fans. What few actually know is that this actually has very different mechanics to both RBY and Stad1. For example, while it maintains the RBY Hyper Beam, it has the Stad1 recoil mechanics (so neither of the negative effects apply if a Pokemon is KO'd). Stad0 also did dexit before any other game, with only 40 playable Pokemon. As such, this has a ton of unique qualities that significantly differentiate it from RBY and Stad1.

Stad0 has the ability to run the following formats, though I am of the understanding that these aren't likely to be implemented;
  • Nintendo Cup '98
    • The reason the game was made, this format was run at many events.
  • Nintendo Cup '97
    • Technically an entirely different version of the format tbh. So many differences; dexit, mechanics, Blizzard nerf, Sleep nerf...lead Jynx is hardly a thing which is already big iirc.
  • Anything Goes (with...a good few clauses)
    • By extension, you could make a Stadium OU-esque format with this, but that's entering format request territory, and that's not a thing here.
Like Stad1, it also runs Self-KO Clause, Freeze Clause, Stadium Sleep Clause and a few others innately. To make it easier to run tours for these games, I think some sort of mod could be implemented. RBY 2k20 is looking into the idea of running this for NC98 and even has a dex, so having something like this implemented in some form would be of great benefit to us.

For an analysis of the mechanics, I wrote an article on this for RBY 2k20 last month. Pokemon Battle Historia also has a detailed cross-reference in Japanese; note that Stadium 2 refers to Stad1. If there's any testing needed, I would happily help.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I was stupid enough to get a pull request going for this. It implements virtually everything up above, sans the NC97 bit since it's kind of redundant.

I'm intending to make this compatible with some sort of natdex rule to let people use Pokemon like Persian in it, just how the developers intended with the failed N64 DD add-on. The mechanics in this iteration of RBY are generally considered to be the most superior, so maybe this can gain some traction, eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)