Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Just finished watching the new “trailer”. 14 minutes can hardly be considered a trailer, particularly if most of it was filler. That being said, the new stuff we did see wasn’t horrible, I suppose. TM crafting has a lot of potential, and Farigiraf’s implementation was pretty much perfect in my opinion. I had heard that Pokémon Eggs were going to be reworked in some way so I’m glad we got to see that, too.

I’ve been sitting here for a few minutes now trying to think of any critiques I have for the trailer, and I really can’t think of much. Even that bit with the choppy frame rate Sunflora group doesn’t worry that much since A. this was probably taken from an earlier build of the game, and B. there’s bound to be some frame rate issues when specific assets of a game (i.e. Sunflora’s 3D model) are duplicated over itself multiple times.

The TM image also shows that there is at least 130 TMs now.
Considering gen 8 had 100 TMs and 100 TRs, I would expect the final number to be somewhere along the same lines.

I'm not sure how i feel about this "step backward" though. Having infinite "mediocre move" TMs was pretty nice for in-game stuff, though I guess it also did kinda diminish the "value" of a given TM if you could just teach it to half of your team and forget about it.

Considering gen 8 had 100 TMs and 100 TRs, I would expect the final number to be somewhere along the same lines.

I'm not sure how i feel about this "step backward" though. Having infinite "mediocre move" TMs was pretty nice for in-game stuff, though I guess it also did kinda diminish the "value" of a given TM if you could just teach it to half of your team and forget about it.
Diminish that value into the dirt for all I care, having to grind for TMs sucks in every game that happens in.

Crazy to compare this to the 60 BP Hidden Power and not Gems (literally banned in BWOU) lmao

and by fly spam I meant stacking 2-3 offensive fliers, each with a tera type that can easily delete resists (such as fire or fighting torn-t with boosted coverage, etc). Once the primary resist is removed by a surprise adapt stab its not hard to win from there!
Except it won't be a "surprise adapt STAB". It only gets the Adaptability boost if it has that typing before, otherwise it is just normal STAB.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor

I think what they’re going for here is an approach where an item with a finite amount can be farmer seemingly infinite times. It reminds me how in some of the older games (mainly Gens 3-4 if I remember correctly), there was a very small chance the player could get TM26 Earthquake from the Pickup ability. Unfortunately they didn’t do this more with other TMs.

Crazy to compare this to the 60 BP Hidden Power and not Gems (literally banned in BWOU) lmao

and by fly spam I meant stacking 2-3 offensive fliers, each with a tera type that can easily delete resists (such as fire or fighting torn-t with boosted coverage, etc). Once the primary resist is removed by a surprise adapt stab its not hard to win from there!
Why would it be closer to Gems and not Hidden Power? Seems like Gems were closer to Z moves than Terastallizing, and also Gems got banned because you could use multiple Gems on a team.
Even if you plan on using Super STAB (which we don’t exactly know the boost, but it’s assumed to be the same as Adaptability which is x4/3), you would only use 1 Pokemon and it would lose its other STAB as well.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Except it won't be a "surprise adapt STAB". It only gets the Adaptability boost if it has that typing before, otherwise it is just normal STAB.
I think they’ll go with these numbers:

Terastalize boost: 1.5x
Terastalize + STAB: 2.25x
Terastalize + Adaptability (this scenario will never happen without STAB though): 2.25x
All three combined: 3.375x

This is because a 50% power boost doesn’t
mean “1.5x to 2x to 2.5x”. Percentage power boosts in Pokémon games stack on top of each other.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The thing that stands out to me more is that more of Gen 2's mons are being saved from the pits of utter mediocrity and forgettableness with these new evolutions to redeem them.

Wyrdeer and Farigiraf in particular are two of the most welcome new evolutions because Stantler and Girafarig have historically been two of the most mediocre and forgettable Pokemon in existence who became more and more forgettable and bad as time went on, so them having new evolutions to redeem them and make them stand out more is by all means welcome.

I am very happy to see more and more of Gen 2's roster being saved from the realms of mediocrity, they deserve it.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Still don't like how they say "Girafarig in the Paldea region evolve into Farigiraf" so until i see Paldea Ursaring evolve into Ursaluna with my own two eyes and im just going to be very grumpy
I think they said this because Girafarig hasn’t had an observable evolution into Farigiraf in other regions yet. When looking at Ursaring, I believe there was some kind of item it needed for the evolution process so they could always just bring that back.

PLA had both kinds- traditional evolutions and regional variant evolutions. Few free to correct me if I’m missing something here, but SV seems to only have traditional evolutions so far, outside of anything from leaks I don’t know about yet.
There has been rumours of a regional evo for P-Wooper. So if we believe it we are getting both. But I meant they brought back normal cross gen evos in PLA

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
There has been rumours of a regional evo for P-Wooper. So if we believe it we are getting both. But I meant they brought back normal cross gen evos in PLA
I still expect this to be called Paldean Quagsire until further notice. This argument goes both ways, I’ll admit- isn’t Sneasler just “Hisuian Weavile” at the end of the day also?

I think they’ll go with these numbers:

Terastalize boost: 1.5x
Terastalize + STAB: 2.25x
Terastalize + Adaptability (this scenario will never happen without STAB though): 2.25x
All three combined: 3.375x

This is because a 50% power boost doesn’t
mean “1.5x to 2x to 2.5x”. Percentage power boosts in Pokémon games stack on top of each other.
Either that or they just change the STAB boost to match Adaptability when Terastallized, making it 2x instead of 1.5x

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
The thing that stands out to me more is that more of Gen 2's mons are being saved from the pits of utter mediocrity and forgettableness with these new evolutions to redeem them.

Wyrdeer and Farigiraf in particular are two of the most welcome new evolutions because Stantler and Girafarig have historically been two of the most mediocre and forgettable Pokemon in existence who became more and more forgettable and bad as time went on, so them having new evolutions to redeem them and make them stand out more is by all means welcome.

I am very happy to see more and more of Gen 2's roster being saved from the realms of mediocrity, they deserve it.
Coincidentally, Johto Normal-Types seem to be the pattern here. They’ve covered most of them by now if we count the Dunsparce leaks. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I think that just leaves Furret and Noctowl as the only two left. Noctowl could get help in a number of ways, and Furret… well, here’s what I’ll say.

Unova remakes are next in line, and after what happened with the Furret walk memes… hey, you never know

Just finished watching the new “trailer”. 14 minutes can hardly be considered a trailer, particularly if most of it was filler. That being said, the new stuff we did see wasn’t horrible, I suppose. TM crafting has a lot of potential, and Farigiraf’s implementation was pretty much perfect in my opinion. I had heard that Pokémon Eggs were going to be reworked in some way so I’m glad we got to see that, too.

I’ve been sitting here for a few minutes now trying to think of any critiques I have for the trailer, and I really can’t think of much. Even that bit with the choppy frame rate Sunflora group doesn’t worry that much since A. this was probably taken from an earlier build of the game, and B. there’s bound to be some frame rate issues when specific assets of a game (i.e. Sunflora’s 3D model) are duplicated over itself multiple times.
Seems like the Japanese trailer has a much better framerate. Phew.

I think they said this because Girafarig hasn’t had an observable evolution into Farigiraf in other regions yet. When looking at Ursaring, I believe there was some kind of item it needed for the evolution process so they could always just bring that back.
While it does have an item, Wyrdeer & Kleavor use similar language
(Website) In the Hisui region, Stantler can evolve into Wyrdeer.
(Website) Special minerals found in the Hisui region cause Scyther to evolve into this Pokémon.

(Pokedex) I believe it was Hisui's swampy terrain that gave Ursaluna its burly physique and newfound capacity to manipulate peat at will.

Which is all how they talk about regional evolutions and forms.

I still want to believe they are, indeed, just normal options available to us now. They don't get the tag like other regional stuff. The designs don't really differ from their preevolutions. There really shouldn't be any issue here.
But it's still something that would be so easy to have them go "No, these are regional evolutions just like Perrserker or Basculegion : ) They need Hisui's environment! : )"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)