Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Heads up, the entire list of returning Pokemon apparently just got leaked (and thus, "confirming" who got dexited from gen 9.) It would be nice to discuss some interesting dexits, but I suppose I'll have to wait for that leak thread to go up.
It seems a bit early for something like that to be leaked, we're over a month out from release.

Btw, I think we should talk about Super STAB now that the trailer shown Pokemon using it.

I heard some discussion on it and at the 0:50 mark of the trailer you can see Quaxly using Aqua Jet on Lechonk doing about 20% damage. Quaxly then Terastallizes into a Water type to deal 40% damage with Aqua Jet.
This does sound like Super STAB gives you an absurd x2 boost on top of your STAB, effectively x3 STAB.
While most people think this will be the case, something seems off about it. for Aqua Jet, it’s slightly weaker than the Z move and Dynamax counterpart, but you get to hold an item. Additionally, a move like Flamethrower goes from 90 BP to 175/130 BP respectfully. So this is supposed to mean that Flamethrower would be naturally stronger, permanent, and can be boosted further by items.
Even by GameFreak standards, this sounds too insane. It doesn’t even make sense where the x2 boost comes from.
Super STAB could be like this, but I think there is something more reasonable about that damage output by Quaxly. The most likely 2 explanations are that Torrent/Overgrowth/Blaze all got buffed to activate when Terastallized or activate earlier, or that Quaxly got a Crit. This would fit Terastallize STAB becoming Adaptability STAB and provide the same damage output.
x3 STAB sounds way to OP even by GameFreak standards and I hope it’s something else.
Anyone else have a clue what’s going on?

Btw, I think we should talk about Super STAB now that the trailer shown Pokemon using it.

I heard some discussion on it and at the 0:50 mark of the trailer you can see Quaxly using Aqua Jet on Lechonk doing about 20% damage. Quaxly then Terastallizes into a Water type to deal 40% damage with Aqua Jet.
This does sound like Super STAB gives you an absurd x2 boost on top of your STAB, effectively x3 STAB.
While most people think this will be the case, something seems off about it. for Aqua Jet, it’s slightly weaker than the Z move and Dynamax counterpart, but you get to hold an item. Additionally, a move like Flamethrower goes from 90 BP to 175/130 BP respectfully. So this is supposed to mean that Flamethrower would be naturally stronger, permanent, and can be boosted further by items.
Even by GameFreak standards, this sounds too insane. It doesn’t even make sense where the x2 boost comes from.
Super STAB could be like this, but I think there is something more reasonable about that damage output by Quaxly. The most likely 2 explanations are that Torrent/Overgrowth/Blaze all got buffed to activate when Terastallized or activate earlier, or that Quaxly got a Crit. This would fit Terastallize STAB becoming Adaptability STAB and provide the same damage output.
x3 STAB sounds way to OP even by GameFreak standards and I hope it’s something else.
The Japanese trailer shows very different damage values.

English trailer:

1665270846998.png

1665270969857.png

Full HP: ~320 pixels
Pre-tera damage: ~70 pixels
Post-tera damage: ~140 pixels (twice as much, like you estimated)

Japanese trailer:

1665271219569.png

1665271276732.png

Pre-tera damage: ~80 pixels
Post-tera damage: ~60 pixels (less??????)

Re: level scaling, it could be that the early events are more railroaded than the rest of the story, kind of like great plateau in BotW, to give players a taste of the three stories before being set loose. I think there was a map analysis - I forget if it was a post in this thread or a video - that noted it looked like you are forced to go through each/(at least one) of the three story bits they've shown that far.

Now, I'm not hopeful that level scaling unlocks after that, but it could be something like RBY with a bunch of gyms around the same levels and then some at higher levels, so you have some where the choice is not telegraphed by ace level, and then some which would traditionally be the last few gyms to tackle but could be taken on out of order as a challenge. With level scaling that sort of challenge is maybe more difficult to pull off (especially with exp share always on :P)

Is it possible that it's a low roll/high roll situation? The battle is pretty low level, after all.

We can see that the Quaxly is at >75% health, so it's definitely not just an earlier activation, and introducing a new effect to make it active while Terastalised does seem a bit odd.

English trailer:

View attachment 457706
View attachment 457707

Japanese trailer:

View attachment 457709
View attachment 457710
In the Japanese trailer, the Lechonk is at full HP when it takes the second attack, making it once again roughly 40%.

It is an interesting comparison they've given us, but the levels were pretty low in the battle so I'm personally not too concerned with speculating since depending on the multiplier it could just be up to damage rolls and not actually a straight 2x multiplier on top of STAB.
(This Squirtle has a 0 Attack IV and the Mime Jr. has a 0 HP IV.)
Lvl 15 0+ Atk Squirtle Aqua Jet vs. Lvl 17 0 HP / 0 Def Mime Jr.: 7-10 (21.2 - 30.3%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO
Lvl 15 0+ Atk Adaptability Squirtle Aqua Jet vs. Lvl 17 0 HP / 0 Def Mime Jr.: 10-14 (30.3 - 42.4%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO

EDIT: I'll admit it's a random example I just made up based on extreme rolls that might not be consistent enough to occur in multiple trailers, but it's just to show that it's possible with a weaker boost in theory and that I hope gamefreak didn't actually just tack on 2x damage to same type teras. At least in the campaigns you'll have to recharge the tera orb for every outing.

Also it's minor but the raids will probably have more than 4 moves again since Chansey was seen using Defense Curl, Shadow Ball, Sing, and Light Screen across trailers and Farigiraf was still taking damage. Again I think it's interesting how they keep everyone involved this time by having them fight their own individual fights against the boss.

Speaking of other trailers, we can check damage in the other trailer variants as well. They look pretty similar though the Chinese versions fight a level 18 Lechonk instead though appear to do relatively more damage.

1665271884093.png
1665271885892.png

1665271904453.png
1665271907805.png

1665271917885.png
1665271925653.png

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

English trailer:

View attachment 457706
View attachment 457707

Japanese trailer:

View attachment 457709
View attachment 457710
I'll be honest, with how much of an absolute mess this trailer was, I'm not too confident on analyzing this because it may very well have been some sort of mistake. I'd be upset if it doubled damage though, would kill the gimmick for me.

Re: level scaling, it could be that the early events are more railroaded than the rest of the story, kind of like great plateau in BotW, to give players a taste of the three stories before being set loose. I think there was a map analysis - I forget if it was a post in this thread or a video - that noted it looked like you are forced to go through each/(at least one) of the three story bits they've shown that far.

Now, I'm not hopeful that level scaling unlocks after that, but it could be something like RBY with a bunch of gyms around the same levels and then some at higher levels, so you have some where the choice is not telegraphed by ace level, and then some which would traditionally be the last few gyms to tackle but could be taken on out of order as a challenge. With level scaling that sort of challenge is maybe more difficult to pull off (especially with exp share always on :P)

I think the general assumption that i've seen is that since the map is shaped like a tire, you have gyms on the right side of the region and on the left side of the region with equivalent levels, so you still "progress" from the bottom of the region to the top, but the gym levels for the east and the west sides of the region stay similar to one anotherin order to make both paths equally accessible

On an unrelated note, I've seen some discussion going around Arven's side of the story. It seems that the item you unlock, Herba Mystica, shares its japanese name with Hidden Machines. In english, both of them are also abreviated to HMs. So the popular theory rn is that the "Path fo Legends" is what unlocks the different movement modes for the Raidons (Thus being a path for the literal legends)

On an unrelated note, I've seen some discussion going around Arven's side of the story. It seems that the item you unlock, Herba Mystica, shares its japanese name with Hidden Machines. In english, both of them are also abreviated to HMs. So the popular theory rn is that the "Path fo Legends" is what unlocks the different movement modes for the Raidons (Thus being a path for the literal legends)
Ya know, and I'm just spitballin' this here, but with that bit of info I can't help but think they are intending for players to pretty much do all 3 stories at the same time and just kinda ping pong between them.

To play devil's advocate for a sec:
as... like... a general thing (that happens a lot in fanmade open world Pokémon), I kind of hate an overreliance on level scaling, and I think whenever I've seen people try to do it in Pokémon games like ROM hacks, it never works for me as well as they think it will?
I don't like the way people treat "you can go anywhere if you try hard enough" as interchangeable with "everything available to you has the same difficulty and presents the same amount of friction," you know?
I know some people think the appeal of open world is "there are no rules or expectations at all," but that's just really boring for me in practice; I have been firmly rooting from the start for there to be a meaningful difference in the difficulty of the bosses available to you at any given moment.

Most of the fun of being allowed to sequence-break comes from the fact that doing something before you're supposed to feels different from doing everything in order,
so if you just give every Gym Leader a different team for every number of Badges (such that every leader's Gym 1 team is equal and every Gym 5 team is equal and every Gym 8 team is equal), the idea of doing them in a different order ends up... deceptively less meaningful in a way that doesn't really appeal to me.
You can't really seek out a more challenging route on purpose, I guess, is the thing? You're railroaded into a specific one-size-fits-all difficulty level and it's much more difficult to try making your own challenges.
It's obviously harder to pull off "open world/player freedom" without that in a series like Pokémon, where levels and numbers do so much that a too-steep level disadvantage isn't something you can overcome with skill alone,
but I usually get a lot more enjoyment from going into a boss at least slightly underleveled, and most of them feel kind of underwhelming if I match them perfectly.

Frankly, that gets even worse with "automated level scaling," and I've played hacks that try to do this (and get praised for it and touted as excellent examples of what Pokémon should do), but it has always felt to me like they botch it horribly so early-game areas are unreasonably difficult and everything else is extremely dull "smooth sailing," and I don't really want to be forced to deal with that in a game that could maybe, like, actually be good. It sounds contradictory, but directly scaling levels to the player (as opposed to just having multiple versions of enemy teams based on progress like badge count) is even worse at accommodating for different playing styles because not everyone likes to approach a boss at the same relative level.
Doing this might mean everyone is superficially on "equal footing," but it takes away the option to pursue an extra challenge by going in at a level disadvantage on purpose, which is something I have enjoyed in games I wanted to make harder for myself, and it also limits the option to make the game easier by bouncing off of a too-challenging boss and focusing on one other content available to them until they're comfortable trying again.
(That could mean going in at the same level as a boss or a level much higher than them! I remember seeing some wacky challenge content like "FRLG with Wooper only" when I was a kid, and this example was only possible because Erika could be skipped and wouldn't level up, for instance, so the player could complete content that was reasonable for a Wooper instead and then come back with more of an advantage much later in the game. The game would have been pretty boring if the player was stuck level grinding without access to any new content until they were able to beat Erika, but it would also have been quite literally impossible if Erika's entire team went up in level to match the player when they came back with a stronger Wooper!)

Basically, I am aware everyone here thinks level scaling is a one-size-fits-all solution, but one-size-fits-all solutions in Pokémon are a myth and I feel strongly that this kind of thing does not actually work for as many people as you think it will in practice.
There is no Universal Level Curve Algorithm that ~ just works ~ and everyone will have different opinions on how strong a boss needs to be relative to the player or how quickly they should get stronger.
That's why the point of Scarlet and Violet is making your own path - you can pursue the options across the three paths that give you the level of friction you personally want at any given moment, which is only possible when all of the options available to you present different amounts of friction.

The other thing is that I trust Game Freak more than most people and believe they do things for actual reasons, even if sometimes those reasons aren't ones I agree with (!!!!! I know, I'm just absolutely insane, aren't I),
and I think they have the basic common sense to grasp "the point" of open world but also put in the time to make sure that whatever approach they went with was the right one in their eyes, while recognizing that the mechanics of Pokémon are not exactly conducive to the same strategies as other series.
I doubt they reached this conclusion without putting thought into it, and I am. just. interested to see what they do to make it work? I'm frankly more open to it than I would have been if they took any of the "just look how easy this fix would have been!!" options I keep seeing people suggest; this one already displays a more compelling approach to player freedom than any of the so-called "open world" quick-fix ROM hacks I've seen.

When we first heard "you can go out of order, and the devs know full well that people will, but they're not messing with levels to make that frictionless," it definitely made me optimistic that there would be at least that were hard enough that casual players were expected to find them hard, bounce off of them, go do something else and come back later. The scenario I kind of considered most likely at that point was "harder Gym Leaders than we're used to, probably taking some cues from BDSP; players will be expected to pursue the ones they have an advantage over or put them off until they feel ready, rather than breezing through a single route all at once."
They want there to be an order - they just also wanted to have fun with people breaking it, which is different and in my opinion more interesting than having no order at all and making every Gym Leader interchangeable.

From what we've seen, I've actually been strongly reassured that they do have similar priorities to me on that.
We don't have a lot of detail on the bosses so far for obvious reasons, and we probably won't have anything super specific or informative until the datamine comes out, but I definitely want to highlight that we've already seen them making some bold choices to make sure they actually have the kinds of bosses that will make players bounce off and chart their courses carefully!
Like, I've seen people complain that the player outlevels Brassius in the trailer. But uh, has anyone noticed that the official site shows the player using a team of 6 at level 15... to fight Mela's team of only 2 Pokémon... but she opens with a level 27 Drought Torkoal? and it's not even her ace?
Mela is the closest member of Team Star to Mesagoza and you can fight her right away if you want - heck, she was shown off alongside what are implied to be the "first bosses" of the other two routes - but her power level is way different from them and she looks scary to deal with early in the game. I'm thinking they will be playing a lot with asymmetry and more varied approaches to power levels to make these bosses stand out from each other, and that appeals to me - when you introduce me to a boss like Mela right away and say I can deal with her whenever I want, I might decide to leave and come back if she seems too strong the first time, but I will also be constantly thinking about how early I can beat her and challenging myself to do it before I match her in level - maybe I get a new team member I think will help and decide to go right back, or maybe I want to see if I have a shot when my best Pokémon gets to level 20 or something instead of 27 and get a feel for how close I am.

This kind of challenge can potentially be omnipresent - if I'm at around the third Gym but I'm starting to feel too powerful and I'm coasting more than I want to be, setting up the game this way actually empowers me to address that by skipping to the fourth Gym, adjusting the level curve for myself. Comparatively, if whatever they decide is the "third Gym level" is too low for my liking, but all six remaining Gyms are rebalanced to the "third Gym level" and they keep scaling up at a rate that doesn't work for me, I'm just kinda stuck with that?
With a system like this, I'm expecting to have a ton of fun challenging Gym Leaders earlier than I "should" because I feel ready for them or because my team has a type advantage or something, and maybe I have a thrilling battle and come out on top or maybe I get absolutely beaten up and have to think about my approach.

I understand that there's a drawback to doing this (whatever Gyms I "skip" and "come back to" won't be as challenging for me), but there are ways for that to be useful - maybe I want a more engaging way to raise an underleveled team member later, so I would love a bonus area that's a bit weaker than the rest of my team to mess around in rather than just carrying the new member with the Experience Share forever.
I noticed this coming up a lot in BDSP: a lot of optional areas, like Wayward Cave or the side areas you can only reach after getting Surf, turned out to be convenient when I wanted to add underleveled new members like Pokémon from the Grand Underground, the now-level-1-for-some-reason fossils after the second Gym or the Great Marsh... it really helped me spend time with and get attached to every member of my team even though I was on a big rotation, which can be more of an issue in a game like SwSh where the level curve is more rigid and there's less optional content you can use to catch up new members.
In SV, this is actually fundamentally baked into the design of the game! I can see it being a lot more fun to raise new team members in an environment like this, where there's always still meaningful content worth doing that happens to be a lower level than my main team and I'm always doing something "new" with them.

Even if this isn't applicable to your playing style, there are still... like... a ton of bosses in SV - if it feels like I'm on track to face all 18 of them at a higher level than I want and it's ruining the experience, I would gladly "sacrifice" just a handful of those to face all of the ones that remain on my own terms.
You can't do that if the level curve puts too much emphasis on being "adaptive" without understanding what purpose that serves or understanding an individual player's needs, but SV are giving the player a ton of control over the experience and strongly encouraging them to make it their own!

Let's also put that crazy level dissonance in the Mela fight in the context of other new features in the game, like the way that Auto Battles were presented primarily as a "convenient grinding" tool for people who don't like to be underleveled or want to skip to a certain boss.
I think the way they have chosen to structure the open world gives them a lot more freedom to create big challenges like this:

a) the three different routes and the variety in types of bosses (both in battle style, since all three routes have their own mechanics, and in... y'know... literal type matchups, since there are conspicuously about 18 different bosses around the region), you can always have something else worth doing and then come back at a higher level if you need;​
your progress isn't halted if a boss stonewalls you, and "get stronger and come back later" doesn't mean "go spend time doing absolutely nothing but leveling up,"​
but also b) there are new features designed to help you catch up to the curve more easily if you really want to fixate on one story path and don't want to leave and do something else first, and they are trying to make it as adaptable and time-saving as possible,​
so people don't have any need to worry about "grinding" even if their playing style is one that doesn't naturally get them the levels they need.​

We also still have raids in this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if Candies are back, and they're integrated into even more of the region rather than boxed into their own dedicated section in the Wild Area - SwSh had no qualms with dumping insane amounts of free experience on you to eliminate grinding for people who fell behind. Raids and Auto Battles tell me SV are extremely conscious of that, but Mela tells me they are actively working with the fact that it's optional for once and they do not plan to force you to match the bosses' levels whether you like it or not; this is actually shaping up to be a really good and player-friendly "sandbox" all around and it really is shaping up to accommodate for a lot more playing style diversity than people realize!

That's my main point, I guess - there is just a lot more emergent gameplay from exposing a constantly-changing player to a set of fixed challenges that they may not be ready for when they first encounter them than from tailoring the gameplay so every player is exactly as ready for every challenge, all the time. The latter is just an incredibly basic and boring lack of direction in my opinion, but Scarlet and Violet have made me actually care about "open world Pokémon" for the first time in my life and that tells me they're actually doing something right.

In existing games, a non-STAB move has a modifier of 1x, a STAB move has a modifier of 1.5x, and an Adaptability-boosted STAB move has a modifier of 2x ("instead of" regular STAB's 1.5x - it's effectively 4/3 stronger than regular STAB).

Some people are assuming Terastal applies "double STAB," as in 1.5 x 1.5 (a modifier of 2.25). However, those people are insane, so don't listen to them.
It's probably the same boost as Adaptability, and this is already the scariest thing about Terastal. It will definitely not be 4x.
We also do not yet have any way of knowing if it stacks with Adaptability or what the modifier would be like if it did.

The rest of your understanding is right, accounting for R_N's addendum! C:

edit: also Farigiraf is my best friend
ummm, holy shit.

Anyway, automated level scaling is about as terrible as it gets. I've seen a mod for BDSP ,iirc, that does it and I was like "Bro, a Lv. 40 Shinx is still getting folded by a Torterra, that ain't it.

When I think of Gym level scaling, I think about something closer to this:

Of course, I don't necessarily agree with everything about it, but the gist of it would be the Leaders adjusting their rosters and levels to compensate for the player's progress.

Surprisingly, SwSh's Wild Area was a good example of proper scaling. Sure, it's way easier when you don't have trainers to account for, but the idea of wild mons being upgraded based on the trainer's progress is good.

Ironically, SwSh also brings a bad example of static scaling. Klara/Avery having a Venipede/Abra and a Galarian Slowpoke when you first battle them is great if you do it early-game because they'll be around Lv. 12 like the rest of your similarly unevolved mons.

When you pull up after the Darkest Day and there's a Lv. 60 something Venipede staring at you, that's just embarrassing.

Ironically, there was NO reason for that to happen. Pre-DD and Post-DD IoA have separate trainer entries.

So let's take Klara 1 as an example.

Pre-DD: Venipede (Lv. 10), Galarian Slowpoke (Lv. 12). Just like vanilla SwSh.

Post-DD: Scolipede (Lv. 58), Galarian Weezing (Lv. 58), Galarian Slowbro (Lv. 60).

Also the same levels as vanilla, but there's an extra mon. Nothing mind-blowingly difficult, but it's at least adequate to the levels she's rolling with and the fact that this is the first battle the player will have against her.

If Game Freak tried to improve boss teambuilding by better use of strategies and gimmicks in order to make them more distinct and flavorful while also applying static scaling based on certain story flags that may or may not even be tied to the Gym Leader challenge, the games would be better for it.

English trailer:

View attachment 457706
View attachment 457707

Japanese trailer:

View attachment 457709
View attachment 457710
Is it possible that it's a low roll/high roll situation? The battle is pretty low level, after all.

We can see that the Quaxly is at >75% health, so it's definitely not just an earlier activation, and introducing a new effect to make it active while Terastalised does seem a bit odd.

In the Japanese trailer, the Lechonk is at full HP when it takes the second attack, making it once again roughly 40%.
It is an interesting comparison they've given us, but the levels were pretty low in the battle so I'm personally not too concerned with speculating since depending on the multiplier it could just be up to damage rolls and not actually a straight 2x multiplier on top of STAB.
(This Squirtle has a 0 Attack IV and the Mime Jr. has a 0 HP IV.)
Lvl 15 0+ Atk Squirtle Aqua Jet vs. Lvl 17 0 HP / 0 Def Mime Jr.: 7-10 (21.2 - 30.3%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO
Lvl 15 0+ Atk Adaptability Squirtle Aqua Jet vs. Lvl 17 0 HP / 0 Def Mime Jr.: 10-14 (30.3 - 42.4%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO

EDIT: I'll admit it's a random example I just made up based on extreme rolls that might not be consistent enough to occur in multiple trailers, but it's just to show that it's possible with a weaker boost in theory and that I hope gamefreak didn't actually just tack on 2x damage to same type teras. At least in the campaigns you'll have to recharge the tera orb for every outing.

Also it's minor but the raids will probably have more than 4 moves again since Chansey was seen using Defense Curl, Shadow Ball, Sing, and Light Screen across trailers and Farigiraf was still taking damage. Again I think it's interesting how they keep everyone involved this time by having them fight their own individual fights against the boss.

Speaking of other trailers, we can check damage in the other trailer variants as well. They look pretty similar though the Chinese versions fight a level 18 Lechonk instead though appear to do relatively more damage.

View attachment 457712View attachment 457713
View attachment 457714View attachment 457715
View attachment 457716View attachment 457717
Yeah, that makes sense. This is fortunate as x2 damage on top of STAB would be busted, but unfortunate since we don’t how much of a boost Super STAB gives.

On the topic of Level Scale:
I hope Gym Leader will change up their teams like in some Fan Content and like in Origins. It would be more appropriate to have Gym Leaders use different teams and if Gyms can be done in any order, it would be the best way to balance the game.
This does mean Gyms are gonna need 4 to 8 different teams in the main game. Otherwise, it’ll be either completely imbalanced, or you’ll have it so that there is no real point to fighting gyms out of order.

If Game Freak tried to improve boss teambuilding by better use of strategies and gimmicks in order to make them more distinct and flavorful while also applying static scaling based on certain story flags that may or may not even be tied to the Gym Leader challenge, the games would be better for it.
We can hope they took some lessons from the one good thing ILCA did with BDSP, aka the boss teams.

BDSP had some pretty well designed boss battles, both during story and in postgame rematches, with the AI not being "too" strong but at same time challenging enough to not let you just faceroll through the teams, expecially in the later battles (and Cynthia's BDSP team is scary as hell o_o).

Just heard that rest was nerfed to 5 pp. Good. I hope all non-attacking self heal moves are nerfed to 5 pp so stall can die.
I hope you have to play against a Stall team every time you boot Showdown. :psysly:

Tbh, RBY is the worst-case scenario for me.

The reason is very simple. There are absolutely zero reasons to skip Gyms in RBY. Even if you, say, skip Surge to get to Erika at a slightly lower level, what's the point if you're eventually going to come back to Surge and roflstomp him for a badge?

Sure, you can get a new mon or TM, but ultimately that makes things easier, not harder tbh.

We can hope they took some lessons from the one good thing ILCA did with BDSP, aka the boss teams.

BDSP had some pretty well designed boss battles, both during story and in postgame rematches, with the AI not being "too" strong but at same time challenging enough to not let you just faceroll through the teams, expecially in the later battles (and Cynthia's BDSP team is scary as hell o_o).
I actually disagree that BDSP's boss teams are good.

If it weren't for the Amié/Exp. All nonsense, those bosses would be straight-up hack tier.

Massive level spikes? IV/EV training? Have you seen Cynthia's team? That's just crazy. :totodiLUL:

The AI is legit good from what I hear tho. That's always a good thing.

Tbh, RBY is the worst-case scenario for me.

The reason is very simple. There are absolutely zero reasons to skip Gyms in RBY. Even if you, say, skip Surge to get to Erika at a slightly lower level, what's the point if you're eventually going to come back to Surge and roflstomp him for a badge?

Sure, you can get a new mon or TM, but ultimately that makes things easier, not harder tbh.
In a normal playthrough, there is no reason. But there is a reason for challenge playthroughs where you have only 1 Pokemon for battling, it may be better to fight Blain or Koga just to get the EXP for an earlier Gym you’d otherwise struggle with. I know some YouTuber (I believe Jross) does this in some of his videos.
Only other reason is that you did it by accident without realizing the correct order.

But yeah, if Gyms are like in RGBY, there is no point to doing them out of order.

I actually disagree that BDSP's boss teams are good.

If it weren't for the Amié/Exp. All nonsense, those bosses would be straight-up hack tier.

Massive level spikes? IV/EV training? Have you seen Cynthia's team? That's just crazy. :totodiLUL:

The AI is legit good from what I hear tho. That's always a good thing.
The level spikes are the fault of original DP, not BDSP.

As for the rest, outside of being suprised by Aaron because I wasn't expecting the level of change in terms of battle design compared to the originals, the only thing that caused any sort of issue was Garchomp, and only because they gave it Rough Skin.

The level spikes are the fault of original DP, not BDSP.
Yes, but that doesn't make the spikes disappear, does it?

As for the rest, outside of being suprised by Aaron because I wasn't expecting the level of change in terms of battle design compared to the originals, the only thing that caused any sort of issue was Garchomp, and only because they gave it Rough Skin.
I mentioned "hack tier" not because of the difficulty per se, but because of the design philosophy behind it. It's well-known that "Difficulty" hacks do that kind of stuff all the time.

My issue with that approach is that often the focus on optimization/difficulty doesn't leave too much room for flavor, so you kind of just remember the battle for being tough and even that depends on how well you prepare for it. Now imagine an entire game based around that philosophy.

At some point, the game turns into some mush that you can only remember for being tough, but the bosses don't really make an individual impact that makes you go "Wow, that was a great battle."

Honestly all i want for "level scaling" is just to swap around the boss levels based on what you do them in.

Like if brassius is 15/15/17 and Grusha is (we haven't seen any levels I'm just spitballing) 48/48/50 then have it so if you do Grusha first he gets the 15/15/17 and Brassius gets 48/48/50 if you do him last. Evolution/devolution optional (Giovanni's level 50 rhyhorn, hello), move sets would probably only need small touch ups since there's plenty of moves that are kind of "timeless".
Star bosses & Titans would track their own stuff separately for simplicity.

For stuff out and about the world, I've thrown out ideas before about how to handle that but honestly I'd be fine with justlike... you go to Late Game Ice Area and most of the pokemon are like the 45s but you can find little pockets of weaker (unevolved, if relevant) pokemon in their 15s.

Let me go into the late game area and hunt a low leveled Cetitan for my troubles, is what I'm saying.

How is it a crobat? It doesn’t look like it has wings and i’ve looked at my golbat evolving for the millionth time (i got it screenrecorded)
It has wings it's just all bundled up. You can clearly make them out. It's also Crobat's ears and crobat's eyes.

I'mma keep it real with y'all.

I didn't expect SV's evolution animations to be anywhere as good as the truly epic Legends one. But maaaaaan, that's way too disappointing. :totodiLUL:
It is the Legends animation; that's the Legends evolution tool tip

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
For stuff out and about the world, I've thrown out ideas before about how to handle that but honestly I'd be fine with justlike... you go to Late Game Ice Area and most of the pokemon are like the 45s but you can find little pockets of weaker (unevolved, if relevant) pokemon in their 15s.

Let me go into the late game area and hunt a low leveled Cetitan for my troubles, is what I'm saying.
Conversely, have some really high level mons early on.

We all got our asses kicked by that lvl 40 horse mf in the first area of PLA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)