Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread.

Do you think there will be a sequel?

• Yes

Votes: 487 96.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hells yea. I'm ordering mine as soon as it's released. (Can't pre-order with play-asia anymore).

I'll miss out on what little story there is, but thats what younger cousins interested in pokemon are for.

EDIT- Yea I know I said no more questions. I was thinking about game and compatibility though. I'm now worried about cost. If anyone ordered a Japanese D/P I'm sure you won't mind answering this: How much did the game and/or shipping cost? Was the game's cost similar to the US price?

I didn't buy it, but I was looking at its cost. Its 48 yen, so about 48 dollars. But with shipping and possible inflation and nonsense like that it should come out to about $53-54.

Damn I'd like to buy a game for only 45 cents. :D 4800 yen (that's assuming what you meant) would cost about $44 here. Yeah, I think I'll wait for the english release.

Random list of my hopes in Platnium

-Blaziken gets some more diverse movesets like Infernape and especially Close Combat
-Giving Cresselia more movesets that could possibly make it UBER
-New abilties and an ability similar to Intimidate, except it lowers Special atks
-A shiny Gyarados to appear on a random lake (like Gold and Silver)
-More egg moves
-More diverse movesets for Venusaur
-More Choice items for Defenses
-More f***** up moves for Octillery :) It's already funny that Ock can learn Seismic toss from Emerald tutors...

That's all I have to say right now. Leave any comments.

Random list of my hopes in Platnium

-New abilties and an ability similar to Intimidate, except it lowers Special atks
Doing this would make backwards compatibility impossible...
-A shiny Gyarados to appear on a random lake (like Gold and Silver)
I'm actually hoping the story is changed very little so I can play through without reading. This would be cool as a post e4 thing though.
-More Choice items for Defenses
Once again, backwards compatibility. Though, it would be really cool to have to decide between having to switch to heal/status/attack or have lower defense...
That's all I have to say right now. Leave any comments.
comments in bold.

IMO if people pay $60 for crap on the ps3 and x-box, surely I can pay that for a portable game with easily accessible complex PvP.

All Pokemon/moves/abilities/item were coded into R/S but they were inaccessible. You could hack an old R/S game to get wild tyranitar. Try hacking a D/P game into making intimidate affect Spatk. You'll need far more than a simple hex editor.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You guys need to learn Japanese. lol

I plan on ordering it when it comes out and playing through it. My Japanese is not 100% but more than enough to play through a kid's game like Pokemon. *gloat*

@RobertM-- you can say the same thing about Sky Shaymin and Giratina's new form. These things don't exist in D/P you know.

One word: Deoxys.

This was discussed pretty heavily on earlier pages.
I'd be pretty lame if they handled Giratina/Shaymin/Rotom new forms as they handled Deoxys because that would mean we will have to wait until the next generation handheld to be able to use all forms on the same cartridge =/

I hope that we can somehow patch the D/P carts so that they can recognize the new forms the same way as the R/S carts could be patched to fix the berry glitch. It'd be even easier now because we could patch the game over wifi or something.

That would be pretty cool. I tend to set my expectations low to avoid disappointments though. I'll be happy if it's just d/p with battle frontier tossed in.

D/P carts don't need to be patched. D/P carts will recognize the new forms as the old forms, but with new stats, moves and abilities. No patching required. To D/P players the pokemon will only look like their original forms.
I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp this.

D/P carts don't need to be patched. D/P carts will recognize the new forms as the old forms, but with new stats, moves and abilities. No patching required. To D/P players the pokemon will only look like their original forms.
I do understand that because that is the way deoxys forms were treated past gen. If you actually read my post you would understand that I was just stating my opinion on how it would be PREFERABLE if we could patch the games so that for example a sky form shaymin could be traded over to a Diamond game and remain in its sky form. This would mean that you could USE sky form shaymin in your D/P team, because otherwise only the platinum carts have the advantage of having the new form and the old form available.

This is all wishful thinking about what COULD BE DONE, it doesn't mean that I don't understand how it was done in the case of deoxys.

I'm liking that golden palace hall thing in the frontier.

There also appears to be a minigame in the median area between the frontier's attractions. Perhaps another way to earn points?

Is it me or in the second he mentions Rotom? other than that, there are interesting stuff like that scratch mini-game and the golden palace thing.

There's more than new stats, moves, and abilities at play, though. Shaymin also gains a new type. That's the element that makes this different from the old Deoxys situation. You could hack a Shaymin to have the moves, ability, and stats of its Sky Forme but it wouldn't be flying. How do Diamond and Pearl resolve that difference without modification? If a D/P Swampert Earthquakes a Platinum Shaymin how does the old game interpret the miss? If it Ice Beams how does it know to calculate 4x damage instead of 2x? Shouldn't hackers already be having a field day with false types if it is possible to tweak that information?

I'm curious to see how Game Freak programs around the typing issue if they even bother to address it. It may be that Platinum players are simply required to use old forms when dealing with old games. So few characters are affected that a comprehensive solution is probably not worth the development time.

Thats an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of shaymin's new type. If D/P can be patched then the sky is the limit. If not then these changes will have no effect on the metagame at all, since it can't be used in pvp.

Thats an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of shaymin's new type. If D/P can be patched then the sky is the limit. If not then these changes will have no effect on the metagame at all, since it can't be used in pvp.
Actually the limit would be the amount of writable memory that the cart has available. Some of it is already being used for the save data, I wonder if there is any more than that.

EDIT:
Have you seen these 2 videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqFc3xjEp24&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtEsGgmxFx0&feature=related

In the second one at 5:10 minutes, is that Pachirisu using Seed Bomb? It can't normally learn that right?

Edit 2: Reading the comments it seems Pachirisu indeed learns Seed Bombd now, Croagunk can learn Gunk Shot and Giratina has Outrage I think.
Sorry if this info is old.

We have seen it before lol.
I'm really happy to see new level-up moves though. Seed Bomb Pachirisu makes sense, I HAVE been hit in the head by an acorn dropped by a squirrel from an oak tree before >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)