Pokemon of the Week Project

Pokemon of the Week

Special thanks to Serebii's POTW and the Dark Horse Project for inspiration.

Welcome to the Pokemon of the Week! This is a new "project" where we will study one OU viable Pokemon every week. The hope is to get the best understanding of the week's Pokemon as possible. After several weeks this will in turn give us a better understanding of the meta itself. The project will be broken up into two parts:

The Learning Portion: This is the main part of POTW. Here in the DST we'll take the Pokemon and study it under the microscope. We'll analyze potential sets, uses, viability, counters, team mates, and the Pokemon's impact on the metagame. This will give a much deeper understanding of the Pokemon than a simple analysis would.*

The Competitive Portion: Theorymon is great sometimes, but to truly get a better grasp of a Pokemon, actually using it is the way to go. And hey, while we're were at, let's turn it into a competition. This competition will be an OU ladder challenge similar to the Dark Horse project. Basically, every week each participant will try and get as high on the ladder as possible using the week's Pokemon. The catch? You only have a week to do it. Every week a new challenge will begin. The player who gets the highest rank on the ladder with that Pokemon during that week will be posted in the POTW Winners for all to see. So, of you want to participate, just fill out this form:

Username: The username you're going to use. You must use an unused username at the start of each week. Anyone found using a used username or not using the POTW will be disqualified indefinitely.*
POTW: The POTW you're using. Remember, you must be using the POTW of that week to qualify for the challenge.*

It's that simple. If you think you have a shot at winning, post a screenshot of your rank. I'm hoping this part will not only teach us more about the Pokemon but also add some diversity to the ladder.*

Any questions?

POTW 1

Charizard

Let's kick things off with an old classic and fan favorite, Charizard. Charizard is unfortunately not the best choice competitively. To start with, Charizard's stats are nothing to write home about, as 84/109 offenses aren't going to be destroying the metagame anytime soon, whereas 78/78/85 defenses make it extremely frail. To compound this issue, Charizard's fire/flying typing leave with a 4X weakness to Rock, meaning Charizard will lose 50% of it health every switch in with SR up. It's not all doom and gloom for Charizard though. Fifth gen gave it a brand new toy in Solar Power, it's DW Ability. Solar Power boosts Charizard's SAtk by 50% in Sun at the cost of some HP. This makes Charizard frighteningly powerful in Sun, and with the right team support, Charizard can rip teams to pieces.*

So, how have you been using Charizard? What sets have you used. What teammates are you using? What's countering you and how are you beating these counters. Let's get started!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looks very cool, Pippy B)

I've always wanted to try using Charizard! Let's give it a go. I don't have any idea on what kind of set I'm going to run; I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Username: Birkizard
POTW: Charizard

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Very ncie idea Pippy! I think that the best set for Zard is going to be the same as in RU: the Scarf set! It makes Charizard outspeed almost the entire OU, so that it doesn't have to be forced to switch out by faster pokes, every time it kills something, because of that nasty SR weakness. Charizard's power is already huge with Solar Power, and his main enemies (Politoed and Charizard) don't really care about the power that Choice Specs and Life Orb provide.

I also think that Dugtrio, Rapid Spin and Volt-Turn support are givens. Rapid Spin because the earth is round, Dugtrio, because Charizard is dead weight as long as Ttar and Politoed are alive, and Volt-Turn to keep the offensive pace the team is most likely going to have with Charizard in it, and to bring in Dugtrio and Charizard safely. Unexpected Volt-turn users that will be able to lure Ttar and/or Politoed, would be the best choices to succesfully trap them with Dugtrio.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
username: Pwnizard

Charizard appears to be a versatile sweeper, with access to Dragon Dance, Belly Drum, and a Solar Power specs set. However, the low defenses combined with the 4x SR weakness means he'll need a LOT of support to pull this thing off.

Alex is probably right: scarf is probably the best set. (there's probably a reason why it's the only set in the annalysis) Another possibility I'm curious about is a Belly Drum set. It will need a ton of support, but a +6 Charizard could be worth it. Not having to rely on Solar Power will nice though, as loosing HP every attack on a frail mon like Zard is never fun I'm thinking about running it with a DS Memento Latios, as that will allow for easy set up. Thoughts?

Oh, and here's my sign up:
UN: Zardy

Hey, that's my dark horse Pokémon!

Heh, I still like Charizard. It's not as good as Charmander, but it's probably the better choice in competitive battling. I also ran Belly Drum Charizard a lot in fourth gen, but I have to say that Salac Berry really makes that set. Until Salac is released, I don't think Bellyzard is nearly as effective in fifth gen. Not that Charizard has bad speed naturally.

The solar powered variant in the sun really rips things apart. 2HKOing Blissey after Stealth Rock damage with Leftovers as the item? That's pretty impressive. It does have a slight problem with accuracy; the general set in the analysis is Air Slash/Fire Blast/Focus Blast/HP Ice. That's only one move out of four with perfect accuracy. Air Slash missing is really annoying.

Charizard's typing can sometimes be useful, too. It resists nearly everything Scizor runs, for instance (except Pursuit). In fourth gen, I'd use Encore on Earthquake to give Belly Drum Charizard a free set up. Fighting resist is also pretty useful.

Won't this cause a big spike in its Usage stats, that will make it OU or will its usage just slip back after the week?

Ah Charizard, the original dragon. Charizard has more then a couple unique traits to give it competitive edge and viability. To start off with it has the strongest move in the game with Specs/Solar Power/Sun, Fire Blast effectively has 270 Base power and when that is combined with Specs and solar Power it means that it is coming off of 700+ Sp.Atk. There are literally 2 Pokemon in OU that can switch into that, Politoed and Tyranitar (With a bit of investment Thick Fat Snorlax also survives). Blissey and Chansey are both easily 2HKO'd. As such Specs/Scarf variants of Charizard are extremely powerful.

But that isn't all that Charizard is capable of, or even what is unique with it. Charizard is also the ONLY fire type in the game to get Dragon Dance. Now normally you would just want to go with the Specs/Scarf sets but DD offers some interesting calcs too as Charizards physical movepool is nothing to scoff at. Earthquake/Flareblitz/Thunderpunch/DD is probably the best way to go. Here are some interesting calcs for it:
At +1
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard ThunderPunch vs 252 HP/0 Def Politoed: 78.65% - 92.71% (2HKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Tyranitar: 72.28% - 85.15% (2HKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard Flare Blitz vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor: 77.97% - 91.81% (In Sun)(2HKO)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard Flare Blitz vs 252 HP/0 Def Dragonite: 28.76% - 33.68% (With Multicale up)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard Flare Blitz vs 252 HP/0 Def Dragonite: 57.51% - 67.62% (After it is broken)(2HKO with rocks, chance for it without)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard Flare Blitz vs 4 HP/0 Def Starmie: 92.75% - 109.16% (56.25% chance to OHKO)
252 Atk Life Orb Charizard ThunderPunch vs 248 HP/252 Def Gyarados: 68.19% - 80.41% (2HKO after intimidate)
252 +1 Atk Life Orb Charizard Earthquake vs 4 HP/0 Def Terrakion: 106.79% - 125.93% (OHKO)

As you can see some pretty impressive stats there. Brick Break could be used to nab a OHKO on Tyranitar. Flareblitz is again an effective 270 base power move in the sun so it would be you default attack for the most part. Leftovers might be used to try and lessen the severity of the Recoil, but you lose out on a bit of power.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Ah Charizard, the original dragon. Charizard has more then a couple unique traits to give it competitive edge and viability. To start off with it has the strongest move in the game with Specs/Solar Power/Sun, Fire Blast effectively has 270 Base power and when that is combined with Specs and solar Power it means that it is coming off of 700+ Sp.Atk.
Kyogre begs to differ:

252+ Specs Ogre Rain Water Spout max damage vs 252/0 N blissey: 85.4%
252+ Specs Zard Sun Solar Power Fire Blast max damage vs same Blissey: 81.2%

Stratos

Banned deucer.
touché, good sir, but Byrn specified Fire Blast, which is beat out by two different other moves in the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)