Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something I'd like to see in Generation Five:

Change the message coding for multi-hit moves such as Icicle Spear, Fury Attack, Bonemerang, Triple Kick, etc. Currently, when these moves hit, a post-hit message will appear, saying "Hit X time(s)!". This is ridiculous. There is no reason for there to be a "(s)" when it is clear that it has only hit once. For the instance of a single hit, could they not just code it so it says "Hit 1 time!", and for instances of two hits or more, code it to say "Hit X times!". It honestly wouldn't take that much more coding, plus the text would read more naturally.

Speaking of having the text read more naturally, why even include numeric symbols in the post-hit messages at all? It's bad grammar to use numeric symbols rather than spelling out the numbers. Also, in the instances of one or two hits the words "once" and "twice" can be used, respectively ("thrice" can be used for three hits but seems way too old-fashioned so I'd just stick with "three times"). Additionally, "Hit 2 time(s)!" is a sentence fragment as there is no subject nor is one properly implied. It should read either "It hit 2 time(s)!" or "[Opponent Pokemon's name] was hit 2 time(s)!" (I prefer the former, but either could work). So what I'm hoping for are these messages:

"It hit once!"
"It hit twice!"
"It hit three times!"
"It hit four times!"
"It hit five times!"

And you know what? While we're on the topic of multi-hit moves, let's talk about how these moves are displayed in battle. As they are right now, they are performed extremely inefficiently. That is to say:

-"SHIFTRY used Bullet Seed!"
-*Hit animation*
-*HP bar depletes*
-*Hit animation*
-*HP bar depletes*
-*Hit animation*
-*HP bar depletes*
-*Hit animation*
-*HP bar depletes*
-"Hit 4 time(s)!"

This takes up WAY too much time, especially for the moves with longer hit animations. I, for one (and I know I'm not alone in this), get severely annoyed when I have to sit through a five-hit Doubleslap; watching a Clefairy slap my Graveler around the face, seeing Graveler lose four HP, and then having to watch that happen FOUR MORE TIMES is just unbearable. If these moves were coded efficiently, they would ideally be performed something like this:

-"ARMALDO used Rock Blast!"
-*Hit-hit-hit-hit animation*
-*HP bar depletes*
-"It hit four times!"

This way, you don't spend more than the usual ten seconds watching a move. Even if a Hitmonchan gets lucky with its Comet Punch and hits five times you won't have to sit through more than half a second of extra animation than you would have if it had only hit twice. Another plus to this is that you won't be left so long in suspense wondering whether your Hariyama's Arm Thrust will hit enough times to knock out that Mightyena before it can counterattack; all the hits happen in the same animation so you won't have to wait long to find out how many hits landed.

This increase in efficiency would definitely save time, although it may present a problem when it comes to breaking Substitutes and factoring in abilities such as Effect Spore and Flame Body. However, these problems would probably be easily remedied.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on this small aspect of gameplay.
HARIYAMA used Arm Thrust!

*hit*

BRELOOM's Substitute broke after 1 hit!

*1-4 more hits*

HARIYAMA kept going to hit 1-4 more times!

CLOYSTER used Icicle Spear!

*hit*
*noise*

GARCHOMP held on with its Yache Berry!
CLOYSTER kept going!

*hit hit hit hit*

Icicle Spear hit 4 more times!

I'd love that.

Whoever mentioned HP "falling off" the bar like it does in Soul Calibur: so glad you agree with my idea from fifty pages back. I always did think that it was the best way GameFreak could possibly deal with the sluggish nature of the HP bar depleting (and that goes somewhere from double to quintuple for multi-hit moves). Everyone hates how it takes a good twenty seconds for Blissey's HP bar to evacuate its bowels after a Close Combat, and more so when they have to watch their Pokemon's health drop between every hit of a multi-hit move--to say nothing of the move's animation itself--so such a solution really is the best of both worlds.

when is the new corocoro or pokemon Sunday coming out MOAR NEWS

i would LOVE for banette,dodrio,drifblim to get evos, zangoose to get a normal fighting evo and seviper to get a poison dark evo

when is the new corocoro or pokemon Sunday coming out MOAR NEWS

i would LOVE for banette,dodrio,drifblim to get evos, zangoose to get a normal fighting evo and seviper to get a poison dark evo
4 heads?! Madness!

Banette, Zangoose and Seviper would all be nice, though.

@Luvdisc evo: It would be pretty hilarious if Luvdisc got the Magikarp/Feebas treatment, and evolved into something pretty awesome and with little visible resemblance to it's original form.

Also, this mistreatment of Flareon has to stop, Gamefreak! :[

Corocoro comes out on the 15th, so it should be leaked in a few days.

I keep forgetting that I want to post about evos. Most of the Pokemon that got evos are unusual animals that don't have anything particularly odd about them (think Scyther and Yanma, not Farfetch'd). There are some of them that don't follow this, like Tangela and Dusclops, but I think the two most likely Pokemon to get evos are Pachirisu (flying squirrel) and Qwilfish. Neither one of them is a Pokemon that's available in the begining of the game, and those Pokemon usually don't get evos, and they could use a boost so I think they're the most likely to get evos.

Also, I want to see a Steel-type Eevee evolution that hopefully gets Spikes. It would give UU a good Spiker if Froslass doesn't return.

Edit:
4 heads?! Madness!
No, a 9-headed hydra bird. They really need to give atleast give Flareon Blaze Kick and something to Baton Pass.

As long as they give a couple of non-Legendaries Drought and Drizzle, I'll be happy.
I think there was a test on Shoddy that let Kyogre and Groudon be used at levels that make their stats comparable to OU Pokemon, as well as a test on NetBattle where they were allowed at Lv. 1. I think both tests confirmed that auto Sun and Rain are too broken.

Yeah I guess 5 turn auto rain could work.

Anything with Drought and Drizzle will probably be banned to Uber even with normal stats, considering how dangerous are Swift Swim and Chlorophyll pokes with infinite weather support, even i ubers. Those in OU would be unstoppable and over-centralizing.

EDIT:Even with a 4-5 turns of automatic weather, i think it would be broken.

they should give flareon bulk up to pass
Yea! and a Dragon one that can pass Dragon Dance and, if they can break the special pattern, Steel passing Rock Polish or a special version of Dragon Dance.

Also...I'd like the gyms to be harder in that weather is automatically set up and it's permanent too. Like in a Grass gym, it'll be auto-sunny. In a Water gym, it'll be auto-rain. In a Psychic gym, it'll be auto-TR.

Anything with Drought and Drizzle will probably be banned to Uber even with normal stats, considering how dangerous are Swift Swim and Chlorophyll pokes with infinite weather support, even i ubers. Those in OU would be unstoppable and over-centralizing.
Of course, on the flip side, they could also introduce better Cloud Nine Pokemon and/or some non-legendary Pokemon with Air Lock. Of course, then the metagame might get even worse, with everyone building a team to either use or dispel the weather, which makes everything into Rock-Paper-Scissors much like people say allowing Double Team and its ilk would.

Corocoro comes out on the 15th, so it should be leaked in a few days.

I keep forgetting that I want to post about evos. Most of the Pokemon that got evos are unusual animals that don't have anything particularly odd about them (think Scyther and Yanma, not Farfetch'd). There are some of them that don't follow this, like Tangela and Dusclops, but I think the two most likely Pokemon to get evos are Pachirisu (flying squirrel) and Qwilfish. Neither one of them is a Pokemon that's available in the begining of the game, and those Pokemon usually don't get evos, and they could use a boost so I think they're the most likely to get evos.

Also, I want to see a Steel-type Eevee evolution that hopefully gets Spikes. It would give UU a good Spiker if Froslass doesn't return.

Edit:

No, a 9-headed hydra bird. They really need to give atleast give Flareon Blaze Kick and something to Baton Pass.
I think they should give Eevee rapid spin.That way we could have a few more pokemon to use it with. And if we're going to get two more evolutions I hope they are dragon and steel. That would be pretty rad.

@ Everyone who shot me down: Damn, that's lame. Would it be less broken if Swift Swim and Chlorophyll were nerfed to only raise speed one stage in the rain/sun? Would require testing, I suppose...

just as a note, people saying 5 turn auto rain/sun would work: tested by CAP, broken i beleive.

@ the hydra thing: give it an ability that makes it if it takes an attack that would do 80% or more, damage taken is halved and it's own attack boosted by 1.5

and serebii says that there will be version differences other than exclusive pokemon
could this finally be our evil/good versions?
(evil > good)

I wonder how 5th gen Psychic looks like. I miss the old Psychic where the screen gets all trippy on you. Now it's just some boring purple background thing.

@ the hydra thing: give it an ability that makes it if it takes an attack that would do 80% or more, damage taken is halved and it's own attack boosted by 1.5
I was thinking Skill Link, Bone Rush, and a Flying-type Bone Rush. Edit: Also throw in Rock Blast and Claw Sharpen for good measure.

As long as they make some sort of Eevee evolution, I'll be happy.

I've been thinking recently that a nice change to Hidden Power would be that instead of showing the type as "Normal" in the status screen, it would show its actual type. It's funny how Hidden Power can never have the Normal type and yet that's the way it's displayed. I also think it would be a nice touch if the energy that comes out during the attack matches the color of the type, instead of it being green all the time. I know this would give away the type during battles (such as revealing whether your HP is Electric or Ice when attacking a Flying opponent), but personally I would prefer the variable colors over the current animation.

I've been thinking recently that a nice change to Hidden Power would be that instead of showing the type as "Normal" in the status screen, it would show its actual type. It's funny how Hidden Power can never have the Normal type and yet that's the way it's displayed. I also think it would be a nice touch if the energy that comes out during the attack matches the color of the type, instead of it being green all the time. I know this would give away the type during battles (such as revealing whether your HP is Electric or Ice when attacking a Flying opponent), but personally I would prefer the variable colors over the current animation.
Yeah i have wanted this since DP and it would work great =) I mean it's not like it is a big secret or something, there is the guy in Celadon that tells you what hidden power they have, so why not in the menu as well?

The difference in color would look nice.

I agree; the Hidden Power type should be a little more transparent than it is now. And it's not like changing the color of the move itself would affect prediction anymore than usual; one can usually tell what Hidden Power their opponent has based on their bravado in the face of certain threats (Celebi won't stay in on the likes of Scizor without HP Fire, for example).

The flip side is that the move would have to be specially coded to show its type depending on the Pokemon; its base power would likely have to be coded to change, too. That leads us to the same "extra programming/interface tinkering" thing that messes with the double-held-item thing from before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)