Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this may be slightly off topic to whatever you're discussing right now (you're not going to pinpoint stats without knowing full details, though i guess it is interesting and i know you guys don't really care about doubles outside of how topsy turvy works), but i was thinking about how they can change the iv system to make it more user friendly. simply being able to view IVs is not enough. the main problem is that even if you spend days breeding something, you're not guaranteed a hexflawless pokemon. if they made to where you still had to put the time into it, but you're sure to get the perfect pokemon at the end, people wouldn't have any problems with it. if they did, they'd just be lazy haha

oh yeah, and they should make legends come with good ivs. they are more powerful than regular pokemon after all, and it takes so much more time to get a decent legend than it does a pokemon you can breed.

quick and simple fixes for the iv system would be:

1. parents with higher IVs automatically pass down their highest iv to the child (eg if parent a has 31/x/31/x/x/31 and parent b has 23/14/13/31/31/12, the child would automatically have 31/x/31/31/31/31). hidden powers would be easy to manipulate with power item IV locks, provided you have a few mons with 30 ivs in a stat. trick room IVs could be passed down in a similar manner.

2. give legends their separate RNG method. right now, they're generated just like regular wild pokemon, which only have good stats once in a blue moon. a separate rng method for legends would ideally be something that generates >25 IV stats in at least 4-5 stats.

3. make an IV-boosting O-power. if O-powers are anything like pass powers, you have to expend some sort of currency that you get from minigames, which would further promote cooperation and the dream world junk. when you use this O-power, regular wild pokemon will use the legendary RNG i described earlier, and legendary pokemon would more frequently have 31 IV stats. it would make sense to make this expensive, and you can manipulate what kind of pokemon appear with out of battle abilities like magnet pull and static. pretty much the only things about this is that you can't catch flawless mons in pretty balls and you can't manipulate the ability, but that's what breeding's for.

hell, if they did all of this, i might not even bother learning how to rng. i mean if the minigames are trash and stuff i might...

also someone correct me if im wrong about o-powers

i know this may be slightly off topic to whatever you're discussing right now (you're not going to pinpoint stats without knowing full details, though i guess it is interesting and i know you guys don't really care about doubles outside of how topsy turvy works), but i was thinking about how they can change the iv system to make it more user friendly. simply being able to view IVs is not enough. the main problem is that even if you spend days breeding something, you're not guaranteed a hexflawless pokemon. if they made to where you still had to put the time into it, but you're sure to get the perfect pokemon at the end, people wouldn't have any problems with it. if they did, they'd just be lazy haha

oh yeah, and they should make legends come with good ivs. they are more powerful than regular pokemon after all, and it takes so much more time to get a decent legend than it does a pokemon you can breed.

quick and simple fixes for the iv system would be:

1. parents with higher IVs automatically pass down their highest iv to the child (eg if parent a has 31/x/31/x/x/31 and parent b has 23/14/13/31/31/12, the child would automatically have 31/x/31/31/31/31). hidden powers would be easy to manipulate with power item IV locks, provided you have a few mons with 30 ivs in a stat. trick room IVs could be passed down in a similar manner.

2. give legends their separate RNG method. right now, they're generated just like regular wild pokemon, which only have good stats once in a blue moon. a separate rng method for legends would ideally be something that generates >25 IV stats in at least 4-5 stats.

3. make an IV-boosting O-power. if O-powers are anything like pass powers, you have to expend some sort of currency that you get from minigames, which would further promote cooperation and the dream world junk. when you use this O-power, regular wild pokemon will use the legendary RNG i described earlier, and legendary pokemon would more frequently have 31 IV stats. it would make sense to make this expensive, and you can manipulate what kind of pokemon appear with out of battle abilities like magnet pull and static. pretty much the only things about this is that you can't catch flawless mons in pretty balls and you can't manipulate the ability, but that's what breeding's for.

hell, if they did all of this, i might not even bother learning how to rng. i mean if the minigames are trash and stuff i might...

also someone correct me if im wrong about o-powers
THIS. I wish you made the the game mechanics for IVs. I get this feeling that gamefreak does all this work to show off EVs and Super Training, but leaves us back in the stone ages for improving ways to get better IVs without breeding.

THIS. I wish you made the the game mechanics for IVs. I get this feeling that gamefreak does all this work to show off EVs and Super Training, but leaves us back in the stone ages for improving ways to get better IVs without breeding.
The entire point of IV's is breeding as they represent "genes".

When Pokemon-Amie was announced I thought you can use it to up your Pokemon's IVs to 31 all. Hidden Power types would be based on your mon's original IVs, and the power can be boosted by Pokemon-Amie up to 70. (But you can keep it below 70 for your Technician users) oh well.

When Pokemon-Amie was announced I thought you can use it to up your Pokemon's IVs to 31 all. Hidden Power types would be based on your mon's original IVs, and the power can be boosted by Pokemon-Amie up to 70. (But you can keep it below 70 for your Technician users) oh well.
I had also wished that would happen too....sigh.

The entire point of IV's is breeding as they represent "genes".
Doesn't it make you wonder why in Morimoto's battle in the pokemon game show, EVERY pokemon has perfect HP IVs. Gallade, Ferrothorn, Marowak and Politoed all have perfect HP IVs. Even they know that "genes" have to perfect otherwise it's only a burden. If they represent "genes", we should be able to do "genetic engineering" also.

Last edited:
I had also wished that would happen too....sigh.

Doesn't it make you wonder why in Morimoto's battle in the pokemon game show, EVERY pokemon has perfect HP IVs. Gallade, Ferrothorn, Marowak and Politoed all have perfect HP IVs. Even they know that "genes" have to perfect otherwise it's only a burden. If they represent "genes", we should be able to do "genetic engineering" also.
Breeding is a form of genetic engineering. But the Japanese box art also shows DNA somewhere on it, so there is hope for that as well. Though I think the DNA thing on it refers to the awakening of dormant genes to induce Mega Evolution by using the Mega Stones

I wouldn't mind if IV's used the same system as they do now. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy the strategy/ time/ commitment it takes to RNG and breed flawless pokemon with the current system. Not to mention having flawless pokemon is something more exclusive to ACTUAL competitive battlers as it is now. I dont want every freaking 9 year old walking around with a flawless IV'd team. The thought of that actually pisses me off.

Every gen, some moves and abilities get tweaked. Anyone here have a wishlist? I sure do...

Natural Gift: doesn't consume the berry, bases damage on the last berry your mon ate, making it a true Physical HP, except even better

Mud/Water sport: lasts for a certain number of turns, lasts after switching, a la light screen.

Brick Break: power doubles if its used to break screens.

Technician: applies to moves with 66 BP or lower, now covers elemental fangs, brine, Venoshock, psybeam, mud bomb, etc.

Toxic/Flare boost: negates all effects of their respective status except for activating this. For Zangoose love!

Hyper Cutter/Big Pecks/Keen Eye, etc: if that stat would be lowered, raises it instead.

These seem unlikely, but so did a new type, so yeah. What about all of you?

I wouldn't mind if IV's used the same system as they do now. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy the strategy/ time/ commitment it takes to RNG and breed flawless pokemon with the current system. Not to mention having flawless pokemon is something more exclusive to ACTUAL competitive battlers as it is now. I dont want every freaking 9 year old walking around with a flawless IV'd team. The thought of that actually pisses me off.
you mean we'll... *gasp* have to develop strategies to beat people that are on equal footing? or *shock, horror* we won't be able to 6-0 everyone as easily??? if anything, more accessible ivs will mean it will be easier for more people to get into competitive battling, and everyone that just kinda half asses their ev spreads and copypastes entire sets off smogon analyses will have to simply get better at pokemon if they want to win against 'noobs' running around with perfect mons.

e: also, most casuals probably won't bother too much with perfect ivs and just go through the game with derp starters and wild encountered mons.

you mean we'll... *gasp* have to develop strategies to beat people that are on equal footing? or *shock, horror* we won't be able to 6-0 everyone as easily??? if anything, more accessible ivs will mean it will be easier for more people to get into competitive battling, and everyone that just kinda half asses their ev spreads and copypastes entire sets off smogon analyses will have to simply get better at pokemon if they want to win against 'noobs' running around with perfect mons.

e: also, most casuals probably won't bother too much with perfect ivs and just go through the game with derp starters and wild encountered mons.
I battle competitively (when I have time) so it isn't like I take joy in beating casuals. I never even battle casuals. Maybe its just my location, but I'm literally the only competitive pokemon battler I know. I kinda take pride in that. So as I said, I don't want every single pokemon player easily getting their perfect pokemon and, as you said, copypasting their sets from smogon, and calling themselves competitive battlers. I want competitive battling to stay just that: competitive.

I battle competitively (when I have time) so it isn't like I take joy in beating casuals. I never even battle casuals. Maybe its just my location, but I'm literally the only competitive pokemon battler I know. I kinda take pride in that. So as I said, I don't want every single pokemon player easily getting their perfect pokemon and, as you said, copypasting their sets from smogon, and calling themselves competitive battlers. I want competitive battling to stay just that: competitive.
So you take pride in your competitive pokemon abilities but shun the idea of people easily being able to compete with you on equal footing. I find this weird. Getting pokemon is not what determines player skill. The customizations do to an extent of course. That they take so long to achieve in game is nothing but a flaw in the design of the game.

Making a sport/game inaccessible =/= Fair. Neither does everyone being on equal footing = bad. Personally, I believe this method of iv "genetic engineering" would greatly increase my enjoyment of X and Y. I'm a competitive battler. I prefer using my actual game on the gbu as opposed to a mediocre (in comparison) simulator like showdown. But I'm forced to use it because everyone isn't on equal footing Pokemon wise on the physical game. A perfect Salamence won't be beating a perfect Unown any time soon if all it has is earthquake. Strategy is key, and Pokemon are the tools. So yes, I can say, I wouldn't mind seeing the noob with Charizard, Pikachu, and Blastoise with 31 ivs. Or the one with copy-and-paste sets from smogon, because it'd make it interesting, more of a challenge, and above all, fair.

So you take pride in your competitive pokemon abilities but shun the idea of people easily being able to compete with you on equal footing. I find this weird. Getting pokemon is not what determines player skill. The customizations do to an extent of course. That they take so long to achieve in game is nothing but a flaw in the design of the game.
You guys are taking this out of context. It isn't that I don't want people to have "equal footing". Its that I like the exclusivity (at least where I'm from) competitive battling has. I DO compete with people on equal footing, but unless you guys haven't moved passed gen 3, you obviously don't have to be near someone to battle them. I don't feel the need to expand the competitive pokemon community. I'm fine with it where it is.

EDIT: And the current system isn't inaccessible to anyone. It's simply difficult and time consuming. God forbid you guys have to put effort into raising your pokemon. I learned to abuse RNG when I was 13, so accessability is not an issue. LAZINESS is, however. And for the record, everyone DOES have an equal footing. It isn't like people that take the time to correctly raise and breed/ rng their pokemon have something others don't. They have the same resources, and the same game. It's just that some people (like me, and evidently nobody else) don't mind EARNING their pokemon through hard work. Which is why I LIKE that it takes work for me to get my flawless pokemon. Because I know that the neckbeard in the starbucks playing pokemon doesn't have cool pokemon that I do. That being said, I won't challenge him to a battle. I'll challenge the person who, like me, took time and effort to raise their pokemon correctly. /endrant

Last edited:
How does learning to RNG = raising your pokemon?

Raising it would be giving it correct egg moves and EV'ing, IV's are much more fiddly and time-consuming for those who don't game the system or just edit their pokemon with 3rd party tools.
Currently the ONLY competitive function IV's play are for HP typings and the 0 speed IV Gyro-Ballers and Trick Roomers.

Making a sport/game inaccessible =/= Fair. Neither does everyone being on equal footing = bad. Personally, I believe this method of iv "genetic engineering" would greatly increase my enjoyment of X and Y. I'm a competitive battler. I prefer using my actual game on the gbu as opposed to a mediocre (in comparison) simulator like showdown. But I'm forced to use it because everyone isn't on equal footing Pokemon wise on the physical game. A perfect Salamence won't be beating a perfect Unown any time soon if all it has is earthquake. Strategy is key, and Pokemon are the tools. So yes, I can say, I wouldn't mind seeing the noob with Charizard, Pikachu, and Blastoise with 31 ivs. Or the one with copy-and-paste sets from smogon, because it'd make it interesting, more of a challenge, and above all, fair.
I completely agree with rh2012. I don't know how to RNG, but luck is part of life. People who can't be bothered to actually go through with the work of getting perfect Pokemon shouldn't be playing competitively and for the most part, those people don't play competitively. In fact, the reason most people don't play competitively is because of all the cheating that goes on to get perfect IV's and all that. If that was somehow blocked, I'm sure all you whiners would be perfectly happywith the IV system as it stands today
(For the record, the first Pokemon I caught in White 2 was a Psyduck. After I got through with the main game, i went to the judge guy, who told me it had relatively superior potential, and a perfect HP IV. So maybe I'm one of the lucky people who gets high IV random wild 'mons.)

Oh look we veered into an argument of RNG & "really" raising your Pokemon & competitive battling and nope not going to happen

let's stop that

Thank you for mentioning this. Seriously RNG is very easy to do, being able to RNG doesn't make you special, everyone knows how to do it at this point, if you have patience to read the articles. Why should only veterans know about IVs, EVs, hidden power and game mechanics. Even the playing field, by making in-game competitive battling more accessible. I want even 9 year olds to use stealth rock, phaze, and spin block techniques as well. I actually want to think when I battle, not grin that I'm going to 6-0 or 3-0 his whole team. There's no pride in 6-0 an 11 year old in wi-fi having charizard with fly, fire spin, flamethrower and hyper beam.

Everyone should be on equal footing, and if that means easily accessiblle hidden power, than that should be done.

This may be a little late, but I predict Froakie++ will be Water-Fighting. Calling that right now, since it's obvious at this point.
Everyone's been calling that since January

When the rumor started seeming more and more legitimate it's pretty much considered a surething

Eh, just putting it out there for the world.

On another note, has anyone tried hitting Sylveon with a Dragon-type move?
Everyone has and no one can

The only dragon type in the demo is Gabite and it has yet to be seen using a Dragon type move at all

And before anyone even thinks of saying Professor Sycamore's Dragonite, you only have Mewtwo for that battle.

Every gen, some moves and abilities get tweaked. Anyone here have a wishlist? I sure do...

Natural Gift: doesn't consume the berry, bases damage on the last berry your mon ate, making it a true Physical HP, except even better

Mud/Water sport: lasts for a certain number of turns, lasts after switching, a la light screen.

Brick Break: power doubles if its used to break screens.

Technician: applies to moves with 66 BP or lower, now covers elemental fangs, brine, Venoshock, psybeam, mud bomb, etc.

Toxic/Flare boost: negates all effects of their respective status except for activating this. For Zangoose love!

Hyper Cutter/Big Pecks/Keen Eye, etc: if that stat would be lowered, raises it instead.

These seem unlikely, but so did a new type, so yeah. What about all of you?
I like most of these ideas, particularly Natural Gift and Technician. Aside from those, I actually do have a few ideas...

Hidden Power: In the Pokémon's summary, instead of labeling it as a Normal-type move with no defined base power, it would actually list the base power and type Hidden Power has for that particular Pokémon.

Absorb: Base power upped from 20 to 40.

Mega Drain: Base power upped from 40 to 60 (Hello, Technician Roserade!).

Poison Sting: Base power upped to 40.

Smog: Accuracy upped to 100% (nothing that weak should be so inaccurate.

Bone Club, Bonemerang, Bone Rush: Ignores any type or Ability-based immunities to the move.

Constrict: Chance to reduce target's Speed upped to 100%.

Wrap and all variants: Revert to Generation I's effects. Any of these moves with an accuracy over 75% get it reduced to 75% to balance things out a bit.

Oblivious: Now provides immunity to Taunt, Encore, Torment, Disable, and Cursed Body- basically, everything Mental Herb cures.

Gyro Ball: Gains same side effects as Rapid Spin.

Fury Cutter: Turns into a Bug-type version of Rollout, though is not doubled in power by using Defense Curl beforehand.

Take Down: Accuracy upped to 100%, making it a Normal-type equivalent of Wild Charge.

Acid, Acid Bomb: Ignores Steel's immunity to Poison.

Last edited:
Everyone has and no one can

The only dragon type in the demo is Gabite and it has yet to be seen using a Dragon type move at all
Idea: have your starter out against Gabite. Wait for it to use a dragon move, and try to have Sylveon (or Dedenne) switch in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)