Pokémon Unite

TC

Banned deucer.
"pay to have a higher chance to win".
i can agree with this one but not with the p2w take... I would edit this with "pay to have a higher chance to win earlier" because eventually you can max out all your items specially if you are successfull on the rank games
I'm yoyoing between high Expert and low Veteran, which seems about right to me because historically I'm not great at MOBAs.
hated Expert and Veteran lmao... A good advice to rank up fast is to secure all the drednaws that spawns (drednaw equals winning) and steal your opponents farm whenever you can do it (without risking your pokemon life of course) this is also really easy to do with Cramorant Whirlpool

I'm going to be hosting a Pokemon Unite tournament tomorrow (Saturday, August 7th) at 5 PM EST timezone (GMT-4)!

There'll be two teams of 5 vs 5 and it'll be a best out of three. Teams will be randomly assigned. More than 10 people can sign up, but everyone after the 10th sign up will be assigned as a substitute in case any of the original 10 are unable to play.

If not enough people sign up, we'll just 5 stack in ranked or make some other adjustment.

Sign up by posting "IN" in either this very thread, or in the #tournament-signups channel on Discord: https://discord.gg/UP7ZWBPBCz

Current sign-ups:
1. DTC
2. Style (MikeDecIsHere)
3. Whitephoenixace
4. TC
5. kaoyoshi
6. PyProd.

Last edited:
i love unite but i will say good GOD is it humbling how quick you can go from having a team that is very solid and runs the game to going to one that cant do a thing.

I'm not saying "I'm so good look at me", I still am new cus I work too much; but I do like to think I know how to run the few characters I do (mainly Machamp rn) but I experienced an L so bad cus my team was playing scared today that I was like .....Wow, how they even score that much? I legit just laughed and took a break, and made it a personal goal to make that differential for self. LOL
I had to resort to "Fuck it I'll just do my best for momentary berserks and kill some of their guys to hope I inspire some of you guys to at least try and score?" lol
Never happened.

So despite never having played a MOBA before this, I've found the game to be a lot of fun. Granted I'm currently trying to get out of Expert (been alternating wins/losses for some time now) for those 10,000 Tickets once the season is over, but figured now would be a good time to share some stuff I've been using/enjoying over the past few days.

Wigglytuff: Of course being a support means it can't just obliterate things like an attacker would, but if you can coordinate with your lane-mate then AOE Sleep causes lots of things to just drop. If you can get two of them to stick to you then enemies are in for a rough time. Dazzling Gleam also hits really hard for a more defensive pokemon, which is awesome. Super happy with the changes in that last patch.

Crustle: Shell Smash + X-Scissor make this pokemon so much fun to use. Chasing down a weakened pokemon alone? X-Scissor it into a wall to kill it. Chasing down some pokemon with your allies? Shell Smash to get in front of them then X-Scissor them back towards your teammates. Unite skill is also really nice for dunking late-game (or if you're getting swarmed), plus the stun is useful around Zapdos. I know Snorlax is better (read: Block is a dumb move) and missing X-Scissor because the opponent teleports behind you sucks, but in a game where you can't tell what your teammates are going to do, I tend towards Crustle for its ability to go bananas every so often.

Score Shield: This is my favorite item because (especially on tanky-er pokemon) because you're safe to dunk between 15-20ish points assuming you aren't being swarmed by enemies which can be enough to get you over an evolution level hump. If I'm top lane with Crustle then the early Aipoms + a 10 point dunk is enough to evolve and let the fun begin, same thing with Wigglytuff. Heck I've even gotten away with just running in and dunking while using Alolan Ninetales.

All in all, no pokemon feel overwhelming post the patches (I think Block on Snorlax could use some tweaks though). Though will say Zapdos & Final Stretch happening concurrently is obnoxious, I can count the number of games where the team that gets Zapdos (with enough time left) doesn't just put up ~300 points on the spot on one hand. Like the time needed to put up the 100 point dunk is less than the time for an attack animation so unless totally on top of things they're probably scoring at least one of their massive dunks. Not being able to see the score is also annoying but its more "eh."

Exciting game, looking forward to continue playing & see how it evolves.

Alright, tomorrow, both Blissey and another patch note are coming out.

Notable enough are the fixes of some mechanics such as the shops being updated (finally my 84993299 Fashion Tickets will be able to be spent), invicibility frames upon respawning to prevent spawn-kills (hopefully this will prevent goal-harassing by your teammates that are supposed to defend late-game after having dunked their points), as well as Snow Warning not being able to target Pokémon that are hidden in grass anymore, and a bug on Wigglytuff's UNITE move that is corrected. Notable too are the nerfs of most of Snorlax's spells, Greninja's Smokescreen as well as the Eject Button spending more time on cooldown.

Here are all the details about the patchnote. (Also here for the invicibility frames upon respawning thing.)

Do you think some mechanics being reworked like this could be game-changing? What about the nerfed and buffed Pokémon? What about Blissey's introduction to the game? Is there another Pokémon you would like to see being buffed or nerfed? (Lucario dodged two patchnotes without being nerfed.)

Guys, how do you make some money to buy items/new Pokemon ? :'(
With 2K coins max by week, it take at least 1 month to buy a Pokemon ... ?

Guys, how do you make some money to buy items/new Pokemon ? :'(
With 2K coins max by week, it take at least 1 month to buy a Pokemon ... ?
Per week, you get 2100 (weekly cap by matches) + 200 x 7 (Daily Missions) + 20 x 7 Coins (Fair-Play Points), which equals to 2100 + 1400 + 140, which is 3640 coins.

As such, 6000 Coins Pokémon take a little bit less than two weeks to be unlocked,

8000 Coins Pokémon take a little bit more than two weeks / a little bit less than three weeks (meaning you get enough Coins sometime on the third week) depending on how you see it,

10000 Coins Pokémon take a bit more than three weeks (meaning you get enough Coins sometime on the fourth week).

All of this is not factoring the potential 320 Aeos Coins from the Energy Rewards or the 950 Coins given all three levels since level 25 (and on level 3 but it isn't worth noting imo). I think you could also get some by completing the Beginner Challenges.

It seems to me realistically hard to take a whole month to get enough coins for a new Pokémon. However, it seems if you're aiming for a 10000 Coins Pokémon it will take almost a month to get it if you're only taking the base 3640 coins.

Oh I thought the Coin limit of 2100 was for global cap (including missions and fair play points). I don't think I play that much to gain 2,1K coins by week ...

So Yesterday's Presents showed us both Mamoswine and Sylveon are coming as playable characters, gave no mention of Blastoise, and Mobile release is on September 22nd as expected by the end of season 1 date.

Also we can pre-register for the app, and if we get more preregistrations we get 1000 tickets, a Free Pika license (or 6k gold i guess), and then a Pikachu costume.

App Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1512321575
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.pokemon.pokemonunite

So what do we think on roles? Mamo could be attacker/Defender/all-rounder pretty easily. If notably would be the first melee attacker by the look of things, or the first 3 stage defender, so i would guess one of those over All-Rounder. Sylveon i guess is most likely attacker or support?

Attachments

So what do we think on roles? Mamo could be attacker/Defender/all-rounder pretty easily. If notably would be the first melee attacker by the look of things, or the first 3 stage defender, so i would guess one of those over All-Rounder. Sylveon i guess is most likely attacker or support?
Mamoswine would most likely be defender or all rounder considering its a fat mammoth gets the thick fat ability and I could kind of see it being an all rounder, but most likely defender. I dont think it would fit as an attacker. if we do get blastoise before mamoswine then i think mamo is going to be allrounder.

Hyped beyond reason by the Razor Claw. Shit like Extreme Speed Lucario looks busted with it since you now have CC (even if soft). Absol and Talonflame, and as a whole anything physical-melee benefits from it.

Petal Dance + Giga Drain Venusaur is so fun now. Petal Dance reduces the cooldown of Giga Drain every time it hits an enemy, so you can end up doing a ton of damage when you're in the middle of a team and be surprisingly survivable. This build is also super fast and allows you to run around the map really easily similar to Shell Smash Crustle.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm new to this as I've just downloaded Unite onto my mobile.

Are there any important posts in this thread that'll help give me a crash course on the game?

So far it's been a blast to play though!

I'm new to this as I've just downloaded Unite onto my mobile.

Are there any important posts in this thread that'll help give me a crash course on the game?

So far it's been a blast to play though!
Come join our Discord: https://discord.gg/UP7ZWBPBCz

But some basic notes:

- Focus on last hitting enemy Pokemon early game
- Rotate to Drednaw when it spawns at 7 minutes. Should be at least 4 Pokemon at Drednaw. Drednaw is extremely important.
- Kill Rotom after Drednaw is killed. Drednaw is more important to prioritize. Only prioritize Rotom when your team is really far behind and can't contest Drednaw.
- Don't start attacking Zapdos (spawns at 2 minute mark) when you're clearly ahead unless most/all of the enemy team is dead. Defend Zapdos instead. Getting the last hit on Zapdos can make a team that is far behind comeback.
- Buddy Barrier, Focus Band, and Score Shield are amazing items that are very good on most Pokemon

Last edited:
I don't know if some of you didn't notice, but there is a huge survey in pokemon Unite (at the end of the quests which gives coins and boost) with 50 questions, and some of them are really interesting about the future of the game / the additonal modes / new features they imagine !

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
I downloaded Pokémon Unite just to try it when it came out on mobile mostly because I’d seen some screenshots of Alolatales in the game and it looked gorgeous. Turns out—it’s actually really fun! I’ve never played a “MOBA” before but I found the controls and objectives really intuitive!

I’ve been playing for a couple days now and I just reached Expert Rank yesterday, mostly just doing random ranked matches by myself and playing Alolan Ninetales pretty much exclusively.

I’ve enjoyed Ninetales a lot and my favorite moveset is probably Avalanche + Aurora Veil though I’ve tried all possible combinations. And I have him equipped with Buddy Barrier, Focus Band, and Muscle Band.

I’m also super excited for Sylveon! It’ll be fun to have another option to play and I already have 10k coins ready for whenever he gets released! And their moves look really cool! I anticipate liking Mystical Fire + Calm Mind but Draining Kiss also looks so fun! I wonder what items will be best on them!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, why are they calling the Sir Aaron outfit the "Bandit Style"? Like, I get why they wouldn't want to directly call it the "Sir Aaron Style", but could have called it the "Guardian Style" since, you know, Sir Aaron was an Aura Guardian.

https://www.serebii.net/pokemonunite/patch.shtml

We got buffs and nerfs inbound! And for the first time ever, zapdos, rotom, and dreadnaw are getting some big changes!

Pikachu:
Thunder - Damage increased
Volt Tackle - Damage increased

Slowbro:
Amnesia - Cooldown shortened, HP recovery increased

Gengar:
After evolving at level 5, Gengar has Spellvamp.
Blastoise:
Hydro Pump - Damage reduced
Water Spout - Cooldown decreased
Unite Move - Damage reduced

Venusaur:
Giga Drain - Damage resistance reduced; healing reduced
Solar Beam - Increased damage

Lucario:
Attack stat has been decreased
Steadfast will now activate less frequently - longer cooldown
Unite Move - Fixed a bug where charging Power-Up-Punch after using Unite Move caused the travelling Unite Move to deal more damage

Garchomp:
Basic attack speed increased
Dragon Rush - Damage increased

Zeraora:
Wild Charge: Fixed a bug that caused the move to deal high damage when hitting multiple Pokemon

Cramorant:
Dive - Fixed a bug that caused Cramorant's model to glitch after reappearing from diving

Talonflame:
Fixed a bug that caused Gale Wings to not activate on respawn

Remoat Stadium:
Zapdos Aoes Energy reward reduced when KO'd.

Drednaw gives less shields when KO'd.
Drednaw gives less EXP when KO'd.

Rotom now disables enemy goals for a longer period of time.
Rotom's movement speed, Attack and HP stat gain a significant boost when it starts heading for a goal.

It's been a few weeks since the Rotom/Drednaw/Zapdos changes happened, and they definitely made the game better. Drednaw is still the most important objective to prioritize, but there is more diversity in the macro game now. I had a game where we were behind for Drednaw and unlikely to win a fight there, so we all decided to rotate top instead to get Rotom and break a bunch of their goals. This ended up working really well for us. Another change in the macro game is a 1 top + 4 bottom split is viable now if you have something that can kill Rotom quickly such as Zeraora. Most of the Pokemon that can kill Rotom solo quickly are not super viable right now, but stuff like Absol, Gabite, Crustle, Sludge + Hex Haunter kill the first Rotom fast. There's still a lot of 5v5 Drednaw fights, but I think if the Pokemon that killed Rotom super fast were more viable, we would see more 1 top + 4 bottom splits. Overall, I'm very happy with the Drednaw/Rotom changes.

Zapdos is not super different, but the difference is now you can also pressure them with a Rotom push into their base goal if you time it right. If you're far enough ahead, you can even completely ignore Zapdos and just dunk a bunch in their base goal with a Rotom push. The Zapdos point nerf only seems to make a difference in about 1-2% of games, but at least it is something. I still think I would like to see some more changes around Zapdos (specifically giving it more HP so it's not as easy to 50-50 really quickly with Fluffy Tails or high level muscle band Pokemon), but it's more balanced than it was on release.

We got a look at our next big event: Christmas time! We got many new clothes, stickers, and skins, as well as a new game mode and a stage skin for Remoat Stadium!

Thats not all: we also have a look at a brand new character, Dragonite, and if you log in after December 9th, you get a Tsareena for free!

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Is anybody else here still playing Unite?
91108743-BF8C-4F10-9619-1974D71ADE16.png

The game is still pretty fun and fresh with the small updates they’ve been doing periodically. I’ve personally been duo-queuing with my sister pretty regularly and we’ve been killing it! Our best win streak is, I believe, 17 wins in a row. But we regularly get win streaks of 5-10 games (some standard, some ranked) and have made it to Master both seasons.

We typically like to lane together and have lately been dominating whichever lane we’re in as Ninetales (me) and Blissey (her).
1642813293664.png

1642813327366.png

Blissey is a great lane buddy because safeguard instantly cures hindrances like slow and stun and, as you can see, helping hand helps you do Crazy damage. We do great versus other strong early liners like Pikachu and opposing Ninetales because their freezes and stuns are way less effective while mine still work. Other combos we like to play as frequently include Mamoswine + Ninetales and Lucario + Sylveon. But honestly we mix and match a lot. She usually plays Defenders & All-Rounders, and I usually play Attackers or Eldegoss. I consider myself a Ninetales/Sylveon main who dabbles in Gardevoir and Eldegoss lol.

Anyway, I don’t know if we’re allowed to talk about leaks, but I am unreasonably excited for Sacred Style Gardevoir! Anyone else excited about Trevenant, Aegislash, or the other upcoming content?

1642813717097.png

So, interesting news on the financial front for Unite

while the game is quite fun and even won the Goggle Play's Best Game of 2021 award when it comes to revenue the picture is a bit different

while the fact that it can even be compared to giants like Brawl Stars and Arena of Valor is certainly quite impressive; this chart shows us that the amount of money it's making compared to its user base is quite lacking
now, all mobile games download numbers slow down dramatically after its initial adoption, which is why it's expected that after a (hopefully) small period of explosive growth after release, a game cultivates a devoted userbase that keeps spending to keep the game profitable

it's not about total number of downloads, it's about devoted fans willing to spend

these numbers are not good

people "in the know" are blaming Unite's (incredibly relative) low number of earnings on a poorly implemented monetization scheme, seems like selling 40$ US skins doesn't work if (enough) people aren't buying

more details here

now personally I don't care that Tencent Timi isn't making money hands over fist; fun game or not the exploitative practices mobile games rely on should be, if anything, illegal
but I do find the game fun and wonder how these numbers affect future plans Tencent Timi has for Unite

Last edited:
Is anybody else here still playing Unite?
View attachment 400322
The game is still pretty fun and fresh with the small updates they’ve been doing periodically. I’ve personally been duo-queuing with my sister pretty regularly and we’ve been killing it! Our best win streak is, I believe, 17 wins in a row. But we regularly get win streaks of 5-10 games (some standard, some ranked) and have made it to Master both seasons.

We typically like to lane together and have lately been dominating whichever lane we’re in as Ninetales (me) and Blissey (her).
View attachment 400324
View attachment 400325
Blissey is a great lane buddy because safeguard instantly cures hindrances like slow and stun and, as you can see, helping hand helps you do Crazy damage. We do great versus other strong early liners like Pikachu and opposing Ninetales because their freezes and stuns are way less effective while mine still work. Other combos we like to play as frequently include Mamoswine + Ninetales and Lucario + Sylveon. But honestly we mix and match a lot. She usually plays Defenders & All-Rounders, and I usually play Attackers or Eldegoss. I consider myself a Ninetales/Sylveon main who dabbles in Gardevoir and Eldegoss lol.

Anyway, I don’t know if we’re allowed to talk about leaks, but I am unreasonably excited for Sacred Style Gardevoir! Anyone else excited about Trevenant, Aegislash, or the other upcoming content?

View attachment 400326
Oh we still play, its just that most of our chatter is in the community discord linked sbove you. I usually post when major content drops but with arceus so close i got distracted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)