Project Pokémon Sleep (2024 April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
pokemon-sleep.jpg
In this Metagame we try to get the best sleeping schedule.

Rest Your Very Best! Just place your smart device by your pillow (don’t place your device under your pillow or blankets as it may overheat) to track your daily sleep! With features to record your snoring and sleep talking, and a smart alarm that will wake you when your sleep is light, you’ll be able to aim for your very best rest with Pokémon Sleep!

Clauses:
Standard OMs, Awake Clause

Banlist:
Pokemon

• :darkrai: Darkrai
  • :drowzee: Drowzee
  • :hypno: Hypno
  • :loudred: Loudred
Abilities
  • :hoothoot: Insomnia
  • :delibird: Vital Spirit
Moves
  • :sunkern: Worry Seed

Watchlist:
Dream Eater
Chesto Berry
Lum Berry
Dogs

Common questions:
Q
: Does counting sheep actually helps?
A: Yes.

Q: Is coffee bad for you?
A: Yes.

Q: How to sleep with open eyes?
A: Just don't close them.

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Look, I might not be a Policy Review-head, but even I can tell something needs to be done here.

Everyone knows that falling asleep is significantly harder with electronics. Anyone who's played this meta competitively knows of the exploit where an opponent in a different time zone can message or even call you, potentially waking you up and ending your run right there. This is as blatantly uncompetitive as it gets. You can have your match ended instantly through absolutely no fault of your own, and there's no way to directly patch this out, as the game is implemented right now.

Going against cart accuracy is a no-go. To bypass cart accuracy, we would have to have detailed information about how the game runs, which would require hacking, which is ILLEGAL. Modding the game to remove notifications is a step too far and sets a dangerous precedent. If we could hack the game willy-nilly, what's stopping us from creating entirely new metagames around these hacked rulesets? Doesn't that go against the point of Pokemon (Sleep) as we know it? It's a slippery slope.

Here's my proposal: Competitive Pokemon Sleep needs a Do Not Disturb Clause. The majority of Smogon players communicate on Discord, and as such, the majority of awakening exploits occur through Discord. By mandating all players to abide by Do Not Disturb clause, as opposed to Invisible or Idle, we remove the most problematic aspect of awakening exploits, while still making it possible for players in different time zones to communicate over Discord.

I know this is a controversial conversation, and I want to be careful about the precedent we set, lest we end up like those Smogon users with their "Balanced Sleepmons" or "Mix and Melatonin", but something needs to be done.

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Here's my proposal: Competitive Pokemon Sleep needs a Do Not Disturb Clause. The majority of Smogon players communicate on Discord, and as such, the majority of awakening exploits occur through Discord. By mandating all players to abide by Do Not Disturb clause, as opposed to Invisible or Idle, we remove the most problematic aspect of awakening exploits, while still making it possible for players in different time zones to communicate over Discord.
just outplay the notification. do you sleep with your computer turned on with max volume?????

cat

anemoia
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Look, I might not be a Policy Review-head, but even I can tell something needs to be done here.

Everyone knows that falling asleep is significantly harder with electronics. Anyone who's played this meta competitively knows of the exploit where an opponent in a different time zone can message or even call you, potentially waking you up and ending your run right there. This is as blatantly uncompetitive as it gets. You can have your match ended instantly through absolutely no fault of your own, and there's no way to directly patch this out, as the game is implemented right now.

Going against cart accuracy is a no-go. To bypass cart accuracy, we would have to have detailed information about how the game runs, which would require hacking, which is ILLEGAL. Modding the game to remove notifications is a step too far and sets a dangerous precedent. If we could hack the game willy-nilly, what's stopping us from creating entirely new metagames around these hacked rulesets? Doesn't that go against the point of Pokemon (Sleep) as we know it? It's a slippery slope.

I know this is a controversial conversation, and I want to be careful about the precedent we set, lest we end up like those Smogon users with their "Balanced Sleepmons" or "Mix and Melatonin", but something needs to be done.
l2p

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So when tours start for this, can we sleep next to someone else or is that considered ghosting? What if my partner talks in their sleep and says "I'd go chomper here"? I'm not trying to get tour banned here

Finally glad to see an OM focusing on the concept of Sleep, something that was entirely made up by Game Freak. Heck, I'm pretty sure the word was only put in the dictionary because Game Freak asked them nicely.

I am so tired.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
In this Metagame we try to get the best sleeping schedule.
I'd like an objective view of what's a good sleep schedule, like if I fall asleep during my history class and track that as an extra 50 minutes and that puts me at 6 hours of total sleep does that count, or does it all have to be at once? Additionally, how can we adjust scoring for different ages, as those who are older need a different amount of sleep than those who are younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)