Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Yellow Pikachu was exactly identical to a normal Pikachu, except it actually had a usable moveset and learned Thunderbolt on its own, compared to Red/Blue/Green.
View attachment 136562
Ok that tecnically extended to any Pikachu in Yellow, but it wasn't possible to catch one yourself unless you imported one from Red or Blue i suppose :P
Nothing a Ditto Glitch can't solve =)

Another difference (that does not really apply to Yellow) is that, if transferred to Gold, Silver or Crystal, it would hold a Light Ball. No other Pikachu would hold one.

Joe Merrick played 2 hours and confirmed no items or abilities. Also there are IVs. I saw someone ask about EVs, I thought the candies they showed raised your EVs. And as for if you can box your starter, I think you can remove them from your party but they stay on your shoulder in the overworld and you can still use their hm replacement moves. Just a guess. Also the BP of all of Eevee's new moves are 90.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Reading through Serebii's experience:

No Abilities or Held Items: *Sigh*. I'm not mad, I'm mad AND disappointed. Like, this isn't even simplifying the game, infact they're keeping in the features which complicate the game! Like, even if they only gave each species one Ability that would have been fine. And you can limit the selection of Held Items by not including the more complex ones. And they're keeping in other new mechanics and new moves so it's not like they're trying to recreate the Gen I experience (which, even if they were, I don't see how Abilities or Items would have negatively impacted it; wasn't a problem for FRLG). And with them keeping Natures, IVs, and EVs it's not like this is to make it so its easier to transfer Pokemon from GO into the game. I'm racking my brain for a reason and I can only think of two but both aren't good answers: either they severely underestimating the GO players they're trying to bring over OR they want to make these games be different from the core series without removing the competitive elements.
Category Split: Not surprised this was kept, it's a logical thing to have as it means Pokemon movesets aren't limited by the Types. In addition they're including current moves and those were made with category they are in mind (and sometime having effects which affect a certain stat).
Natures: These I'm fine with them leaving in. Out of all the ways to make a Pokemon more unique, Natures and the stat boosting candy would have been fine. And considering you're suppose to catch a ton of Pokemon you'll probably will get plenty with the right (or at least neutral) Natures so you won't need to grind for one with a Nature you like (not that the main game ever required them in the first place). Though I curious what this means for the Starters...
IVs: ... The one thing you should have removed to make the game simpler... is breeding even going to be a thing in these games? Do they just expect players to look through the stats of every Pokemon they catch to pay attention to which ones had the higher numbers?
EVs: Eh, we known about the Stat Candies. And really that's all that it should have been, increasing the EVs with battles/stat candies, leaving the IVs to the core series. Like, the only reason to have IVs if you expect serious competitive battling with Let's Go.
Trainer Reward: Nothing big, but find it neat trainers give extra Poke Balls after beating them. With gaining experience being as easy as catching a Pokemon, this actually gives a big reason to battle trainers (in addition to the money they give for beating them... unless they only give Poke Balls?). Wouldn't mind seeing something like this in the main game, Trainers offering to give you an item for beating them.
Starter Stat Boosts: As suspected, Starters do indeed have a stat boost. With that, them getting powerful exclusive moves, and able to use Techniques to replace HMs there's really no reason not to use the Starter. And points on having the Starter still hang out with you even if you do replace them in the party so that they can use the Hidden Techniques; they're riding on your shoulder anyway so it's not like they need to take up Poke Ball space.
Gym Requirement: You don't need to keep the Pokemon with the Type advantage to battle everyone in the Gym, so this is just a more upfront way to tell you what is good to use against the Gym Leader. So it's now really pointless to have...

Serebii said:
Overall, the game is clearly a main series Pokémon game, just with a few tweaks to lure in the uninitiated audience. It's not the competitive game some players want but it's at its soul, a true Pokémon game.

The knowledge that you can indeed put the starter in the box (regardless of whether it's still in the player character's shoulder) is a relief to me.

If I do get the game, I'm going to abuse the whole "change the party whenever you want" like crazy and do something that has crossed my mind multiple times in older Pokemon games, but I found too time-consuming to be worth it: using more than 6 regular Pokemon to beat the story.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The knowledge that you can indeed put the starter in the box (regardless of whether it's still in the player character's shoulder) is a relief to me.

If I do get the game, I'm going to abuse the whole "change the party whenever you want" like crazy and do something that has crossed my mind multiple times in older Pokemon games, but I found too time-consuming to be worth it: using more than 6 regular Pokemon to beat the story.
I think that's what they sort of want you to do, though with having your Starter being a constant and your ace. Heck, if I was GF, I'd try to make it so that between Gyms there are at least 5 new species of Pokemon so you could very well have an entire team of new Pokemon (besides from your Starter).

It makes sense to me that if they’re going to simplify it they would start from the mechanics that existed in the original games and build from there, which includes IVs/EVs (albeit not at all in the same form they’re in now). The idea that not all wild Pokémon will be exactly the same and trained Pokémon will be stronger than wild Pokémon is pretty instrinsic to the series; understanding the competitive nuance of those mechanics is certainly more complex than held items or abilities, but in terms of how it will affect the game to a casual player they only really need to understand it at the distilled level I described above. I can see how held items and abilities could come off as just two more things you have to manage that frankly aren’t that important for having a successful in-game run anyway (abilities don’t come into play nearly as much since battles usually boil down to switch for a type advantage and 1-2HKOing, and I rarely bother with any items aside from exp. share, amulet coin, spell tag, maybe soothe bell for happiness evos or the odd status berry for Gyms and then slapping on any type-specific boosting items I might have to power up STABs). Nature fits under the “not all wild Pokémon are the same” explanation without having to do anything or learn anything about them. Not saying I’m happy about it but I can understand why they’d chop those two but keep other mechanics that sound more complicated to people here that already know how they work. You don’t know what you don’t know, basically, and you can understand enough about the stat-related mechanics to get why Pokémon might have different levels of power without having to know any of the details.

I just still can't wrap my head around this. We've seen with the likes of Slaking, Regigigas and Archeops that Abilities can make Pokemon who would otherwise be broken pure trash. And on the other hand, Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja and Blaziken would be useless without their current Abilities. Likewise with items, take a look at Chansey and Dusclops; they both outclass Blissey and Dusknoir respectively because their evolutions just flat out don't offer enough to be worth sacrificing the Eviolite Boost for. And Pikachu (at least not the starter one) is completely trash without the Light Ball. We could keep listing examples of Pokemon who succeed with certain Abilities and Items and would otherwise fail without them (as well as the opposite), but the point is that these are both simple mechanics that are game changing: why get rid of them if you're marketing LGPE as entry-level games? It's complete lunacy in my opinion.

And, by the way, LGPE being a remake of Gen 1 isn't an excuse for this shit. FRLG and HGSS also had both held items and abilities (along with the Physical/Special split). And ORAS also included XY Megas and new ones, Fairy-types and the Prevos (as well as, once again, the Physical/Special Split). And you know what? You can completely ignore Abilities and Held Items and still cheese the game. You're just going to break them even further if you know how to truly utilise them, so how complex are they really? In other words, this game really is a Gen Wun pander marathon as we all thought if it was going to return to the base mechanics instead of go forward. But, oh wait, IVs, Natures and EVs are still game, as is the Physical/Special split. The first mechanic (IVs) I'm pretty sure every respectable Trainer and the mother wants to GTFO out of the franchise, so it's not even about the pandering anymore, it's about them cherrypicking what should be in LGPE and what shouldn't be, and it's honestly amazing to me how FRLG were released almost 15 years ago and they are looking to still be the best versions of RGBY (and amongst the best games in the series anyways).

Also: it's still a stupid requirement to force you to have a certain Pokemon in your team even if you don't need to battle with it, and if you wanted to play a Nuzlocke, a Monotype, or any other team related challenge with these games, you'll have to bend the rules to beat the Gyms (or, at least this one). And not to mention, Rock-types also have three other weaknesses (Fighting, Ground and Steel), what makes Water and Grass so special other than them having 4x power against the entire Gym? And I still don't see why we need to change the games because of the fact that today's generation is much less patient than those who were old enough to play the Gameboy games. If I could beat Yellow Version at a single digit age then so can anyone else at the same age. And not to mention, forcing players to play the game a specific way is shit game design, so yeah, it's still hand holding.

Honestly, for me it's not about Gen 8's gameplay being changed if LGPE is popular enough anymore (I personally think Gen 8 is at least half developed to have any real meaningful changes), it's now about the real games (Gen 8 and beyond) having to deal with being developed by game designers who clearly don't know what the hell they are doing.

Last edited:
I just still can't wrap my head around this. We've seen with the likes of Slaking, Regigigas and Archeops that Abilities can make Pokemon who would otherwise be broken pure trash. And on the other hand, Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja and Blaziken would be useless without their current Abilities. Likewise with items, take a look at Chansey and Dusclops; they both outclass Blissey and Dusknoir respectively because their evolutions just flat out don't offer enough to be worth sacrificing the Eviolite Boost for. And Pikachu (at least not the starter one) is completely trash without the Light Ball. We could keep listing examples of Pokemon who succeed with certain Abilities and Items and would otherwise fail without them (as well as the opposite), but the point is that these are both simple mechanics that are game changing: why get rid of them if you're marketing LGPE as entry-level games? It's complete lunacy in my opinion.

And, by the way, LGPE being a remake of Gen 1 isn't an excuse for this shit. FRLG and HGSS also had both held items and abilities (along with the Physical/Special split). And ORAS also included XY Megas and new ones, Fairy-types and the Prevos (as well as, once again, the Physical/Special Split). And you know what? You can completely ignore Abilities and Held Items and still cheese the game. You're just going to break them even further if you know how to truly utilise them, so how complex are they really? In other words, this game really is a Gen Wun pander marathon as we all thought if it was going to return to the base mechanics instead of go forward. But, oh wait, IVs, Natures and EVs are still game, as is the Physical/Special split. The first mechanic (IVs) I'm pretty sure every respectable Trainer and the mother wants to GTFO out of the franchise, so it's not even about the pandering anymore, it's about them cherrypicking what should be in LGPE and what shouldn't be, and it's honestly amazing to me how FRLG were released almost 15 years ago and they are looking to still be the best versions of RGBY (and amongst the best games in the series anyways).

Also: it's still a stupid requirement to force you to have a certain Pokemon in your team even if you don't need to battle with it, and if you wanted to play a Nuzlocke, a Monotype, or any other team related challenge with these games, you'll have to bend the rules to beat the Gyms (or, at least this one). And not to mention, Rock-types also have three other weaknesses (Fighting, Ground and Steel), what makes Water and Grass so special other than them having 4x power against the entire Gym? And I still don't see why we need to change the games because of the fact that today's generation is much less patient than those who were old enough to play the Gameboy games. If I could beat Yellow Version at a single digit age then so can anyone else at the same age. And not to mention, forcing players to play the game a specific way is shit game design, so yeah, it's still hand holding.

Honestly, for me it's not about Gen 8's gameplay being changed if LGPE is popular enough anymore (I personally think Gen 8 is at least half developed to have any real meaningful changes), it's now about the real games (Gen 8 and beyond) having to deal with being developed by game designers who clearly don't know what the hell they are doing.
A lot of that is based on competitive play, though. Defensive Pokémon like Chansey are generally ass in-game regardless of their item, and abilities like Defeatist and Truant aren’t as big of a detriment when you’re usually just going in for one turn, OHKOing with a strong attack and switching back out (plus healing freely with Potions in the case of Archeops. This game isn’t meant to advance the competitive meta in the same way that the Colosseums games weren’t, and I don’t remember people freaking out about how those were ruining the series.

Also funny that you talk about being able to beat Yellow at a young age in the same post you’re complaining about the game essentially reverting to the mechanics we had back then.

I'd also point out that the "this ruins this type or nuzlocke/challenge run" is a pretty terrible argument to support something: player self-imposed challenges have rarely if ever been considered when designing a game.
When designers want difficulty levels or options, they include the option in the game itself.

Tbh I dontvreally care about held items being removed
Yeah, it doesnt make sense, but it doesnt break the game since you dont use them anyways
Abilities are a bit different, many Pokemon now lose a good niche, but nothing wild either
All in all, it sucks they are removed but it doesnt change as much as some might think

And I have to fully disagree about FRLG being one of the best games in the series but thats for another day

New Japanese trailer with details about linking the game with Go:

New English trailer:

Looks like you can transfer up to 50 Pokemon at once, and you can fly on Dragonite too when you select "release from Poke Ball".

There's a mini game where you run away from Pikachu in the play area of Go Park. Depending on your score, you can receive different types of Candy that you can then use to strengthen Pokemon. Each Candy is useful for one stat (though I'm mostly guessing here):

げんきのアメ (Health Candy): HP
ちからのアメ (Mighty Candy): Attack
まもりのアメ (Tough Candy): Defense
はやさのアメ (Quick Candy): Speed
ちしきのアメ (Smart Candy): Special Attack
こころのアメ (Courage Candy): Special Defense

From the English trailer, these Candy can come in different sizes (the English trailer shows Quick Candy Ls). As with Go, you can also receive Pokemon-specific Candy. There are three ways to obtain Candy:

1. Via the minigames in Go Park.
2. Sending Pokemon to Professor Oak.
3. Walking with the Poke Ball Plus accessory.

It also appears as though you have to reduce the legendary Pokemons' HP to zero before being able to catch them, which is definitely an improvement on having them struggle to death. Source.

「伝説のポケモン」は、バトルに勝利しなければゲットのチャンスが訪れない。
With Legendary Pokemon, you'll only get a chance to catch them if you defeat them in battle.

Last edited:
The stat mechanics in this game are still a mystery, but they're definitely not like the standard games.

When Eevee levels up to 51 in the English trailer, here's what we see:

eevee 1.png

Eevee's gaining a bonus point in Special Attack here. How and why this is happening is still unknown, at least from my perspective. Perhaps it battled more Pokemon that had higher SpA stats at the level it was in?

Moving on, its stats as a Level 51 Eevee are impossible using the regular stat spread of an Eevee from the main series games:

eevee 2.png

And here's the stat spread of a normal Eevee with 252 EVs in all stats and a neutral nature:

eevee 3.png

Look how remarkably close the Eevee with maxed out stats is with the PLGO Eevee in the trailer, and the SpA and Spe don't even reach the PLGO variant without using beneficial natures for both of them, and you can't run two natures at the same time.

And then look at the level 50 starter Pikachu in the same trailer:

pikachu.png

compared to:

pikachu 2.png

The differences are extreme with that Special Attack in PLGO. Normal Pikachu doesn't even come close to that, even with a Modest nature. The 159 Speed is also impossible, as a Timid Pikachu with 252 Speed hits 156.

This may very well mean that the starters have a much higher BST than their normal counterparts, or that the way stats are being calculated with all Pokemon available in PLGO will be handled much differently in this game considering there's a CP number being factored in, as well.

This may very well mean that the starters have a much higher BST than their normal counterparts,
This was actually already proved a few times by comparing starter pikachu with wild pikachu in game :)

The 2 starters do have inflated BST as well as the unique signature moves, on top of whatever change to IV or EV might be present in PLGO itself.

New Japanese trailer with details about linking the game with Go:
New English trailer:
Couple personal notes on the new trailers:

- Looks like the birds are consistently in same place as gen 1, which I appreciate, but I still dislike Moltres being in Victory Road. With the other 2 being in essentially optional areas, it feels kinda weird to keep Moltres basically in your face instead, I hope you can't "miss" the capture by going in without PokeBall or something because it could be a pretty annoying thing to do to a potential new players. I totally didn't end up doing exactly that in Pokemon Blue when I was a kid.

- "Mew can be taught almost any move" is definitely a soft-confirmation of TMs being present. What I wonder is if they will use gen 1 TMs or go with a special approach (it's shown using Fire Blast, Thunder/Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, which were indeed gen 1 TMs).

- The way the "+1 stat" when leveling shows, as well as candies, makes me wonder if instead of EVs they went with gen2-ish DVs, and some IVs that also work differently. This one sadly will be hard to work out until the game releases as I highly doubt even the entire footage provided by all youtubers and sites would be enough due to the low base stats of the pokemon accessible in what was allowed to be tested.

Edit:
The presence of CPs in the stat screen only further supports my last point in having IV/EVs work differently than the main series
1537372494650.png

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow so according to the new image of Pikachu’s stats Vengeance417 posted... Pikachu has a minimum of 138 base SpA!!!

Thats much different from the E3 stat esitmated, though the rest of its stats are similar. Maybe you can buff Pikachu’s stars through the story, or thr E3 chu got changed, or maybe it had a garbabe SpA IV lol. Either way, it sounds much more dangerous now!

Note that this far, it seems like all the regular mons had their normal stats too at least.

The presence of CPs in the stat screen only further supports my last point in having IV/EVs work differently than the main series
I have two possibilities:
- EVs are missing, and CP replaces them.
- CP is used as a measure of EVs and candy boosts, instead of the blue hexagon of (U)SM.

Thats much different from the E3 stat esitmated, though the rest of its stats are similar. Maybe you can buff Pikachu’s stars through the story, or thr E3 chu got changed, or maybe it had a garbabe SpA IV lol. Either way, it sounds much more dangerous now!
Since candyes do increase the stat by 1 apparently, it looks very difficult to judge what its "base" spatk is altoghether... you'd need a pure unadultered starter pikachu which is something we can basically only get to what, level 12 maybe due to the gameplay at the offices from yday?

You can see from my screenshot (taken from Pokemon twitter, pretty much) that the Pikachu has inconsistent values with the ones on Vengeance's screen.

Just another "+1" in my assumpion that there's no EV but rather just those candies (which might or might not have a cap)

- CP is used as a measure of EVs and candy boosts, instead of the blue hexagon of (U)SM.
I do wonder if CP just act as pseudo-power estimation exactly like in Pokemon Go, where they are indeed based on both the base pokemon CP as well as their IVs.

Fun fact, we have actually seen this new +1 before back in E3 when Bulbasaur leveled up to 9 after killing a Geodude, though the bonus was added before the normal stat levels (originally 28 HP) in contrast to this new trailer. It isn't any more clear though.

1537388665865.png
1537388799258.png

I personally think candy will be just what it says, a pure stat boost that may also have some other effects on leveling. All the mons just needing 1 candy to boost seems like something that they might change for the final version. I agree CP is probably similar to GO's calc.

EDIT: According to the website there will be ingame trades for alolan formes as a way to get them without GO.

Also there is a Pikachu and Nidoran(M) candy seen here, seems like either a replacement for stones or probably just the general candy system from GO but more specialized.

1537389757645.png

At the top left of this legendary fight screenshot there's a battle timer, this is probably a time limit feature.

1537390058208.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Wow so according to the new image of Pikachu’s stats Vengeance417 posted... Pikachu has a minimum of 138 base SpA!!!

Note that this far, it seems like all the regular mons had their normal stats too at least.
The Pikachu that Worldie posted has a maximum of base 94 special attack under our current IV/EV system, which was posted today as well (and yes, it is also the starterchu - the other pictures from the tweet show the heart). Let's not put too much faith in hypotheses using our current stat system, candies are clearly mucking this up. I am really confused by what the limits of candy are, though. Every other Pikachu we've seen has roughly similar offensive stats. Yet candies let this one more than double one of those stats compared to the other, which I think is still fairly safe to assume have similar bases. There has to be a cap, right? This game may not be aiming for any sort of competitive play, but you can still battle with other people afaik.
I thought people already figured out how to calculate what pokemon's CP are.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8qx2nl
This doesn't make sense to me. How did the OP verify this? "Total IVs" aren't known.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Pikachu that Worldie posted has a maximum of base 94 special attack under our current IV/EV system, which was posted today as well (and yes, it is also the starterchu - the other pictures from the tweet show the heart). Let's not put too much faith in hypotheses using our current stat system, candies are clearly mucking this up. I am really confused by what the limits of candy are, though. Every other Pikachu we've seen has roughly similar offensive stats. Yet candies let this one more than double one of those stats compared to the other, which I think is still fairly safe to assume have similar bases. There has to be a cap, right? This game may not be aiming for any sort of competitive play, but you can still battle with other people afaik.

This doesn't make sense to me. How did the OP verify this? "Total IVs" aren't known.
Another possibility is that maybe Pikachu and Eevee get stat "upgrades" throughout the story to make up for them not evolving. It could just be me, but I wouldn't be shocked if the candies are just raising IVs, since there isn't any breeding in the game. Wish they would elaborate more though, it's so vague! It's totally possible there's a new stat system in place, but I just find it suspicous that its only the starter Pikachu and Eevees that have been showing weird stuff thus far.

I feel like we should hunt for more Pokemon stat screens and HP values too, because at least from the E3 showing, Pikachu was the only Pokemon with weird looking stats. But maybe I missed something somewhere that could shed light on the stat weirdness!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)