Pokémon GO

it only counted Super Effective charged moves despite not specifying that, that'd probably be your issue
Oh, well that's annoying but I guess that makes sense

but leads me into question 2
What determines type effectiveness in these battles? There were multiple times where I was using a move that should have been super effective but kept saying "not very effective". I wish I could remember the exact examples now but it was things like "why is this poison type attack NVE against this fairy type pokemon" or "shouldn't this ground move have been SE against this muk). I was even double checking the type of my Pokemon and the type of their fast move but so often it was something that just seemed like it should have been SE.

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
It just follows normal type effectiveness, there are a couple times where rocket grunts get the forms confused (eg. can show regular muk but actually be alolan) but the only change to type effectiveness is that what would be immunities in main series are treated as a double resistance in Go. So for the first example, a Mawile would resist a poison move despite being a fairy due to the steel type, the second one would only make sense with a psychic move vs an alolan muk

High bulk, strong typing, hits 1500CP just under the level cap. It's similar to bastiodon, but has a generally better moveset, Rock Throw is less awkward to use than Smack Down due to just being a shorter move animation, Rock Slide being cheaper than Stone Edge is nice if you need to hit a charge move fast, and Moonblast is a really strong charge move in general.

Helps that Rock/Fairy is a pretty significantly better typing than Rock/Steel, less of a weakness to ground and especially fighting is pretty huge
To add onto this, Rock typing in general is valuable because Great League where Carbink would be run is full of Flying Pokemon while being a better match-up to things they'd be paired with like Fighting Types. Rock/Fairy together hit a lot of good things like Bird and several Fighting/Dark targets like Sableye and Scrafty, while the typical stuff it struggles with have less presence or are already expected to be handled like Grass types and Ground/Steel targets.

So the Pachirisu spawns going on during Aquamarine, are they seriously only if you pay a ticket?
only way I was able to see that was by looking on the reddit and seeing it in an infographic

I had thought oh i have incense and free time to go on a walk, maybe I'd find a Pachi myself and not need to wrangle in a trade but an hour later and I found everything else instead, so I guess that would line up but like. C'mon niantic throw me a bone here

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
So the Pachirisu spawns going on during Aquamarine, are they seriously only if you pay a ticket?
only way I was able to see that was by looking on the reddit and seeing it in an infographic

I had thought oh i have incense and free time to go on a walk, maybe I'd find a Pachi myself and not need to wrangle in a trade but an hour later and I found everything else instead, so I guess that would line up but like. C'mon niantic throw me a bone here
yep, only on ticket, this has been the case for every regional from Gofest since they started with the global event, though Heracross is, for some reason, just spawning normally today

Speaking of Gofest, my day 1's finished about an hour ago, had a pretty decent time. Only got 8 shinies, but among those were a Joltik, a Remoraid and a Goomy, all of which are new for me, and all but Remoraid new for this event.

Only shiny i really want from this event that I don't have now is East Sea Shellos, and there's still day 2 to try and get that

yep, only on ticket, this has been the case for every regional from Gofest since they started with the global event, though Heracross is, for some reason, just spawning normally today
Tsk, of course. Thanks for the confirmation, though.

Well at least I can throw some stuff on GTS and hope someone with a Pachi bites.

e: Eyyy got it

Last edited:
Got 16 Shinies today, including 2 Groudons, and a 100% IV Goomy and Onix off stuff. Pretty successful first day since I should also be able to max out a Groudon and Kyogre off all the XL candy from raiding (Groudon being something I want to build for breaking into ML as a Dialga check).

Tomorrow is going to be the big one. I need a Hundo, a Shiny, and Energy from Rayquaza, plus Raid Rayquaza can drop a Meteorite so even with one I'd still want mor Dragon Ascent chances.

I had decent shiny luck despite not playing for the full day, getting 9, though three of those were crowned pikachu and another three were mons I didn't need. Got joltik, goomy, and a second barboach to evolve, though. Getting Carnivine was also nice.

Not sure how much of the event I'll play tomorrow, two back to back weekends of GO is a bit much.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I'd have been appalled at myself playing without a ticket two years ago, however today was a lot of fun. Headed out for 10am, joined a raid train, got a lot of Rayquaza candy and energy, caught a bunch of good species I need XLs for... and done. Sweet.

e: Eyyy got it
Just about to dump a load of stuff into Home, any species you're still hunting?

I'd have been appalled at myself playing without a ticket two years ago, however today was a lot of fun. Headed out for 10am, joined a raid train, got a lot of Rayquaza candy and energy, caught a bunch of good species I need XLs for... and done. Sweet.

Just about to dump a load of stuff into Home, any species you're still hunting?
Rotom, Cubchoo & Sandygast are the only ones left. Well, and Beartic & Palossand by extension.

Per our earlier conversations I doubt you've got any of those in stock, but hey, if you do I sure won't complain.

QuentinQuonce

Rotom, Cubchoo & Sandygast are the only ones left. Well, and Beartic & Palossand by extension.

Per our earlier conversations I doubt you've got any of those in stock, but hey, if you do I sure won't complain.
Fraid not. Annoyingly I was under the impression that Rotom was part of today's event, but looking it up it seems it was just in snapshots for the city-specific events (and I don't have a ticket anyway so probably wouldn't have gotten one in any case).

Didn't play too long today, but managed to catch 6 shinies, including an unown D, the good shellos, and a girafarig. Now the question is how long it'll be before Niantic adds Farigiraf to the game and if I should hold off on transferring it to HOME...

I also thankfully remembered to evolve a couple of 3* shadow Metangs into Metagross to get meteor mash on them.

Didn't manage to do any Rayquaza raids, but I got a good shiny Ray last weekend so I'm ok with that. I am so low on bag space right now anyways and I don't need any more legendaries clogging it up that I can't bring myself to trash until a double-candy day.

QuentinQuonce

Didn't play too long today, but managed to catch 6 shinies, including an unown D, the good shellos, and a girafarig. Now the question is how long it'll be before Niantic adds Farigiraf to the game and if I should hold off on transferring it to HOME...

I also thankfully remembered to evolve a couple of 3* shadow Metangs into Metagross to get meteor mash on them.

Didn't manage to do any Rayquaza raids, but I got a good shiny Ray last weekend so I'm ok with that. I am so low on bag space right now anyways and I don't need any more legendaries clogging it up that I can't bring myself to trash until a double-candy day.
Used to live right on the border of the Shellos dividing line... not that I wish I still did (worst place I've ever lived) but it'd be fun to go there and do some Shellos hunting now they're shiny. Oh well.

I also caught a shiny Girafarig yesterday, which I was pleased about (it's a great one, imo). This might just be excessive hopium on my part but I learned yesterday that you can search for Annihilape, Farigarif, Kingambit et al and check the "show evolutionary line" box; the filter recognises them as existing species since they're already in the game code. Probably means nothing as to when they'll debut, but I also hope it's soon.

While I was checking for pachirisu the other day I did see the datamine for the paldea update had the following implications
The starters, obviously. You get a free one for the quest and it seems like they want you to evolve it; hopefully that means they pop up in the wild all over to get a bunch of candy...makes my job easier

New form listings for Palafin-Hero, White Squawkabilly, Stretchy Tatsuigiri and the other gender of Oinkologne

Pokedex listings for the Future Paradoxes (except Iron Leaves and I think Iron Valiant) & the box legends. & a single one for Sandy Shocks that seemed tied to some egg quest?

So if all that pans out, probably none of the evos quiet yet since that's already quite the number of Pokemon at once

QuentinQuonce

Oh yeah it's unlikely the evos would be the first to be released*. Niantic wants us running around to catch new stuff, not effortlessly clicking "evolve" from the sofa. They'll probably gate a few of them behind raids like they've been doing. Infuriatingly might I add, as I now have two hundo Scyther listlessly sat in my storage that I'll probably never get to evolve into Kleavor.

*Unless they introduce, like, 40 new species at once the way they used to with Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova, but I think it's more likely we follow the Kalos/Alola model - 10-20 new species to kick things off (starters, regional bird, regional rodent, a couple of popular designs, and possssssibly Frigibax now that Goomy's available shiny? Oh, and potentially a new regional presumably locked to Spain and Portugal... wonder what that'll be. Klawf? Glimmet? Orthworm? Palafin?)

Last edited:
Oh yeah it's unlikely the evos would be the first to be released*. Niantic wants us running around to catch new stuff, not effortlessly clicking "evolve" from the sofa. They'll probably gate a few of them behind raids like they've been doing. Infuriatingly might I add, as I now have two hundo Scyther listlessly sat in my storage that I'll probably never get to evolve into Kleavor.

*Unless they introduce, like, 40 new species at once the way they used to with Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova, but I think it's more likely we follow the Kalos/Alola model - 10-20 new species to kick things off (starters, regional bird, regional rodent, a couple of popular designs, and possssssibly Frigibax now that Goomy's available shiny? Oh, and potentially a new regional presumably locked to Spain and Portugal. Wonder what that'll be. It's usually a single-staged mon... maybe Palafin?)
Palafin is a 2-stager so probably not that.
Squawkabilly came to mind, but they'll probably put the different colors in different parts of the world like Flabebe (note: once again very glad Home doesn't care about variants lmao) so that's not quite the same

Could see something like Klawf. It's pretty goofy, it had some extra marketing due to being the first titan, single staged
Veluza also has "annoyingly regional" energy to it

Guessing that, like Celesteela & Kartana, some of the Paradoxes will also be regional. Maybe the Donphans and Volcaronas

Frigibax was also in the datamine I believe so that would make sense to be here

Opposite of me on the raids, I did like 30 of that Spaghetti boy and found no shinies somehow (no complaint because I was also out for Candy to double-move my best ones for Mega but still). Also a heads up, I think this upcoming Tuesday Spotlight is a Double Transfer Hour so mark anything you want to clean out.

Go Fest overall was pretty fun, though I feel like Day 1 was more exciting than Day 2 outside of the Raid mons themselves (For full context, I was a ticket holder). The rotating Biomes had much more interesting research, the constant refreshing meant I didn't have to make a specific route through the park and could just go where the raids or my pals were (since I couldn't possibly do it all, I just grabbed what I could to grind through), and stuff like the changing encounters and Challenge Bonuses also just meant more loot/easier to focus on stuff (EX: Audino easier to find when it was only its biome for a Stardust Grind rather than sharing all encounter slot chances). Mega Rayquaza was certainly a strong attraction for Day 2, but I feel like it was done that way to get 2 days of engagement with as little content as possible, since the Research rewards, while helpful, felt a lot more bare than Day 1; if Day 1 had had Mega Rayquaza then, I might honestly have not played much Day 2 (as is I tapped out an hour before the end to get dinner compared to Day 1).

All that said, Go Fest/Go Tour continues to be a pretty good event. The Raids are always easy to find lobbies for, it's admittedly neat seeing people just wandering around playing as designed, and happening to run into some people I know who play for a small raid posse and to do trading was pretty fun. I wouldn't want them to do these too regularly because admittedly I think it drained my batteries for going out to play this game specifically for a while, but it's something I can say I look forward to despite all the junk Niantic's pulled over the years with QoL.

R_N Also I got a couple spare Sandyghast if you exhaust yourself looking for those. Is it cheeky of me to ask for a Galarian Bird (doesn't have to be Go Marked, I just skipped Gen 8 so have to trade if I want one) if so?

QuentinQuonce

Palafin is a 2-stager so probably not that.
So it is, I realised just after I wrote that. The form changing always makes me think it's not.

Squawkabilly came to mind, but they'll probably put the different colors in different parts of the world like Flabebe (note: once again very glad Home doesn't care about variants lmao) so that's not quite the same
Oh god yeah most likely. It really is Oricorio recycled! (that said, I'm quite fond of it)

Veluza also has "annoyingly regional" energy to it
So does Stonjourner. That's the only part of them skipping Gen VIII I dislike, that we in the UK will probably have to wait a while to get our own regional (though as I noted you can catch both variants of Shellos here which Doctor Google tells me is true of only eight other territories! That's something I guess...)

Guessing that, like Celesteela & Kartana, some of the Paradoxes will also be regional. Maybe the Donphans and Volcaronas
God, I hope not though that seems very likely. I didn't even bother trying to get into a Celesteela raid when it debuted as they were in such heavy demand (also I hate using remote passes on anything that doesn't have a chance to be shiny). Amusingly my patience was validated not long afterwards by the event they did in London a few months down the line where all the UBs were available to raid.

R_N Also I got a couple spare Sandyghast if you exhaust yourself looking for those. Is it cheeky of me to ask for a Galarian Bird (doesn't have to be Go Marked, I just skipped Gen 8 so have to trade if I want one) if so?
I'm going to say this as politely as possible, because I appreciate the offer: Nnnno, I'm sorry

The DLC legends are all pains to get multiples of* and while I don't know what Pokemon I would crack that glass for (Even Rotom would have me go "can't this just be a tradeback"), it would not be Sandygast I'm sorry.
There's a reason why, on GTS, everyone asks for them but the offers just rot there. Even searching for the Galarian Birds often doesnt turn up a lot and what is there is often for other DLC Legends or alternate languages of the same bird (or...the same language bird, because....hunting for a GO Variant maybe??)
It's just not an even trade. Even despite Sandygast's relative rarity the fact you were able to get multiples while it was around...and it'll probably come back around eventually....

For a relative comparison, there was a guy (one, specific, guy) who put up Go Marked Pachirisu (before the recent Go Fest, to be clear) for various DLC legends and I know there's other people on Home trying to fill in that Go Home Dex + as noted in this thread it's a really rare Pokemon due to where its located and they just weren't moving. He kept taking them down and putting them back up to up the queue and I think gave up last I saw.

Now if there's anything else you'd like instead, I could probably try catering.

*The Galarian Birds and Regi of choice require from a fresh save about 2 hours to get to the Tundra and do their little quest, and you'll need to grab some pokemon out of the Dynamax Adventures or beat Raihan otherwise you're dealing with the capture penalty since they're all Level 70.
I'm fairly certain that Calyrex + the horse you chose can't be captured until you beat the game, it will just wait at the shrine until then.
Kubfu is arguably the easiest to get, since you only have to complete the majority of Isle of Armor, but that's still a time commitment
While not "DLC", Enamorus is in the same boat since it's effectively the last non-Arceus Pokemon you get access to in Legends. You have to beat the game, beat the post game, get the other 3 clouds THEN you can get her.

No worries about the reply, I genuinely don't know what Home's GTS market is like nor knew how much time it took to get to the CT Legendaries (only that it wasn't "properly" gated). The Sandyghast offer is still open, I'll refrain from any actual requests until I have an understanding of what's reasonable if it's still needed by then.

Hoping for a Zacian/Zamazenta rerun in Go because there's another species I missed out on by Skipping Galar that's at least mildly more available through SOMETHING

QuentinQuonce

I'm just hoping at some point they relent and FINALLY allow Zacian/Zamazenta/Eternatus/the three shiny Galarian birds to be traded in HOME. Dare I hope it'll be part of the next update? No, it almost certainly won't be. Having not played SwSh to get the event distributions, the six of them being gaps in my collection irks me constantly. Though I'm missing a huge amount of Gen VIII species anyway.

I'm just hoping at some point they relent and FINALLY allow Zacian/Zamazenta/Eternatus/the three shiny Galarian birds to be traded in HOME. Dare I hope it'll be part of the next update? No, it almost certainly won't be. Having not played SwSh to get the event distributions, the six of them being gaps in my collection irks me constantly. Though I'm missing a huge amount of Gen VIII species anyway.
That won't be part of a Home update, to be fair. All the shinies given out were part of events that had the ribbon that prevents trading. And that's never going away, most likely.

I suspect Indigo Disc will have them available as shiny encounters, judging by past game trends, so that's when you'll start seeing them show up as shiny. And who knows, Go might take the opportunity to have them be shiny

That won't be part of a Home update, to be fair. All the shinies given out were part of events that had the ribbon that prevents trading. And that's never going away, most likely.

I suspect Indigo Disc will have them available as shiny encounters, judging by past game trends, so that's when you'll start seeing them show up as shiny. And who knows, Go might take the opportunity to have them be shiny
Typically I notice Go follows a pattern with Legendaries. They get featured once "normally", then rerun with Shiny possible, and then after a year or two rerun again with a Signature move as a "buff" that incentivizes raiding again (since teaching it to a copy without it requires a rare Elite TM resource vs catching one with it already on). Zacian and Zamazenta have already had the first run, Eternatus is nowhere to be seen in Go, so the Dogs might get their shinies on their next appearance, which I assume is being held until the DLC makes them legal in the main series as tradeables. The upcoming season is starting on Paldea but we don't know if any Legendaries are planned or if they're rerunning an old one and drip-feeding normals first.

Funny thing to me is the Galarian Bird shinies are probably about as if not more common than a Go Marked Bird. I feel like Niantic's at a Morton's Fork on the birds because they can't make their shinies a selling point in Go without making the birds more accessible, when their scarcity is a sticking point as well as an appeal as collection pieces that would be devalued to some players by it.

I feel like the Legendary distribution in general is going to hit a wall for sustainability if Niantic doesn't introduce something soon, with how many there are to rotate through over 2 weeks-apiece even when doing a whole trio or a Duo simultaneously. Shadow Raids were one option but caveats with the raiding itself aside, those sound like they're only planned to rotate once a season (as in Articuno is only just now leaving, presumably for Zapdos or Moltres, after 3 months), so they're even slower for bringing old relevant mons back to availability, while ironically being around too long to really stoke the FOMO that encourages mass raiding. Plus the gens have so many Legendaries they need to find ways to introduce mechanics for that I think are delaying even the base availability (EX: Palkia and Dialga probably won't be featured again until their Origin Formes, Arceus they have to sort out the 17 Plates, Necrozma has to handle the DM/DW forms much less Ultra, etc) since some of those traits are intrinsic to the Pokemon's identity, much less viability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)