Other Metagames Poison Monotype RMT - Die Philosophie des Giftes (at ~1250)

Good day! I'm presenting my Poison Monotype team. This is the first time I've ever written down an RMT, and I don't know if there any minimum ladder requirements to post RMTs, but I've decided to write down an RMT because I've grown quite fond of this team and would greatly appreciate some feedback from my fellow community members.

Now, I already made a few monotype teams before this one, namely Ground and Dragon. However, I find Poison to be a rather underrated and underexplored type, hence why I decided to experiment with it on a Monotype team. It's proven to be a really fun undertaking to ladder with my Poison Monotype team and I feel confident enough to put it up for ratings. Anyway, let's get started, shall we?

Goethe (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
Ahh, Mega Venusaur, the catch-all utility wall of the team. Mega Venusaur serves as the wall of the team with its impressive 80/123/120 defenses, good typing and great Ability. The Grass-type helps immensely with taking some Ground-type moves, should my other Ground absorbers have fainted. I'm running Sleep Powder on this guy because inflicting sleep scares opponents out and grants my own team more setup opportunities, hence why I'm not running HP Fire or Earthquake. The other moves should be pretty self-explanatory: Giga Drain provides offensive recovery, Sludge Bomb has high power and can poison, and Synthesis is steady recovery (though plagued by low PP, unfortunately).

As for the EV spread; It's the standard one from OU, but with the EVs in Speed removed and placed in Defense to give Mega Venusaur some extra physical bulk. General mixed bulk is what the team needs and exactly what Mega Venusaur provides. I'm probably missing out on some notable speedties here, so go right ahead if you know a better spread.

Nietzsche (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Wave
Up next is Gengar, whose role is to spread burns and be a general annoyer behind a Substitute. Instead of running Taunt, I opted for Substitute here to take full advantage of forcing switches on the opposing team. Behind a Substitute, Gengar is free to fire at least a single Will-O-Wisp and then beat the opponent down with Hex. Speaking of which, the sleep inflicted by Mega Venusaur is yet another tool for Gengar to exploit with Hex; while kind of a weak move without status, it becomes extremely potent when status is deployed. Lastly, Sludge Wave is the obligatory reliable high-power STAB move, and has decent coverage with Hex.

Black Sludge is the obligatory recovery item for any Poison-type, also helps against Pokémon that decide to Trick Gengar. It's necessary here to regain HP from the losses generated by Substitute. The EV spread is quite simple: Max Speed ensures Gengar outpaces Pokémon such as Keldeo and speedties with other notable Pokémon such as Latios. 8 HP EVs are invested to better take advantage of Substitute and Black Sludge, while the remaining 248 EVs are dumped into Special Attack to give Gengar the power it needs.

Schiller (Skuntank) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 144 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
Skuntank's role on the team is rather hard to define, since there's a lot it does here. Nevertheless, its moveset and typing are what make this guy a vital part of my team; the Dark-type is crucial in the team's matchup against Psychic-types. The crux of its moveset is Taunt, which allows it to disrupt supporters and mess with setup attackers, forcing them to attack Skuntank. This in turn makes them ripe to be picked off by Sucker Punch, which happens to be the one priority move on the team. Poison Jab is a reliable Poison STAB with a decent enough chance to leave a foe poisoned, giving Skuntank an alternative physical option, should Sucker Punch be unusable or unreliable. Finally, Fire Blast grants coverage against Steel-types, which could be problematic to this team.

I chose to give Skuntank a Lum Berry. I appreciate the status removal, as it's been very clutch on some occasions, though I've been considering going for a Life Orb instead. The Ability I went with is Aftermath, as Skuntank isn't the fastest, which makes Stench's flinch effect less usable, and Aftermath helps punish priority finishers such as Azumarill and Mega Medicham. As for the EVs: They're from the NU analysis, but tweaked to allow Skuntank to fire off stronger Fire Blasts. That's also why I opted for Naughty over Adamant.

Schlegel (Scolipede) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance
Scolipede's purpose is to sweep and clean mid- or late-game. It's a pretty typical attacker with Swords Dance as the obligatory boosting move. After a single set-up turn with Swords Dance, Scolipede becomes a terrifying sweeper that is pretty much only stopped by select Scarfers and priority users. Megahorn is a given on Scolipede: brutally powerful and with a decent typing. Poison Jab is the secondary STAB that destroys Fairies, which it may struggle with otherwise, while Aqua Tail deters Fire-, Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon, all of which can take on at least one of Scolipede's STABs.

I chose to go with a Life Orb to further amplify Scolipede's power, though Lum Berry may be a good alternative to protect against hazards. The EV spread should be self-explanatory: max Attack and Speed for optimal sweeping potential. I chose to go with an Adamant nature for the extra power it provides: At +1, Scolipede is usually already fast enough to outspeed just about anything aside from Scarfers.

Luther (Crobat) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
Here we have Crobat, the hazard remover and general utility tank/pivot. I needed a Defogger on the team, so that's where Crobat came in, being one of the better Defoggers on Poison-type teams. Its high Speed stat also gives it some use as a cleaner of sorts, despite the lack of offensive investment. Brave Bird is a move carried by pretty much every Crobat for its high power and reliability, hope that speaks for itself. U-turn lets Crobat pivot in and out of battle, for example after picking off a threat or Defogging. Roost grants Crobat recovery and goes well in tandem with Brave Bird being a recoil move and Crobat pivoting in and out of battle a lot.

Black Sludge is once again the quintessential recovery item for Poison-types, not much else to be said here. I chose Infiltrator as the Ability, as I like the ability to hit past Substitutes. The EVs give Crobat decent bulk for pivoting, while the Speed investment with a Jolly nature allows Crobat to outpace a huge array of threats and generate momentum with U-turn.

Bismarck (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
To finish things off, enter Nidoking, the team's wallbreaker and offensive Stealth Rock setter. When I noticed my team lacked both a dedicated wallbreaker and hazard setter, Nidoking immediately came to mind, and quickly became a highly important member of my team. Earth Power and Sludge Wave become amazingly powerful STAB moves after Sheer Force and Life Orb that have nice coverage together, while Ice Beam helps deter Flying- and Ground-types better. As mentioned before, Stealth Rock is the most noticeable move on the set; Nidoking can use its power to pressure opposing hazard setters while setting up hazards for my own team.

As with Scolipede, the EVs are very straightforward: Max Special Attack and Speed with a Timid nature to ensure sweeping potency. Naturally, Sheer Force is the ability to run on Nidoking, powering up a huge chunk of its movepool. Finally, Life Orb is the go-to item with Sheer Force, granting Nidoking great power at virtually no cost whatsoever.

Well, that just about wraps things up. I hope my team has been at least somewhat interesting to read. I'm open to suggestions to improve my team, so if you've got anything to remark, go right ahead and tell me about it. If there is anything regarding the RMT policy that I'm not adhering to correctly, then please tell me about that as well. Thank you very much for reading, and have a great day.

- Kyuzeth

Hey, really cool team with some pretty interesting sets. Since you already pretty much listed out the reasons why you don't have some of the 'generic' sets (such as scarf gengar) i'm not going to talk about them since you seem to like your sets. Instead, I just have a couple of changes that you might want to try out.
  • I like your set but taunt -> pursuit is pretty much a necessity. Not only does it trap psychic types (which threaten your team) but above all else it beats hoopa-unbound which pretty much 6-0s your team. You can also try it over poison jab but honestly taunt rarely gets any use in my experience and I think you'd be a lot better off with pursuit.
  • ->
    I'm not actually a fan of stealth rock nidoking since it can do so much more for the team. Nidoqueen over scolipede will actually allow you to run a proper stealth rock user with pretty good bulk and decent offensive presence as well as being able to set up toxic spikes (which will help hex gengar a lot more).
  • Running stealth rock nidoqueen will allow you to run choice scarf > life orb on nidoking which I think is the superior option since you lack scarf gengar. This will also allow you to run flamethrower > stealth rock that can effectively break steel.
Schiller (Skuntank) (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 144 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit

Nidoqueen (F) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Bismarck (Nidoking) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

That's all I have and I think this is the best way to improve your team while retaining the bulky theme of the team. Of course its up to you if you want to implement these changes or not since it's your own team. Good luck with the team :)

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, cool team! I have a few suggestions that will help your team out, since terrors missed out on quite a few.
  • Sleep Powder --> Hidden Power Fire ; Poison-type teams without Weezing struggle against Mega Scizor because after one Swords Dance it becomes a huge threat and outspeeds and OHKOs Skuntank with Bug Bite regardless if it's Adamant or Jolly nature. Sleep Powder has unreliable accuracy and it can easily be played around by your opponent by just letting something else go to sleep. That's why I highly recommend replacing Sleep Powder with Hidden Power Fire.
  • --> Choice Scarf ; Other than Speed Boost Scolipede you don't have any speed control on your team and you can get overwhelmed by faster Pokemon or Choice Scarf users, especially since you're not running Protect on Scolipede to get a free Speed boost. Gengar is an excellent Choice Scarf user thanks to its great Speed and can check many things that could be annoying for your team such as Choice Scarf Togekiss, Victini, Landorus etc. With access to Energy Ball, Gengar has the ability to be a solid Ground check, especially since it has the Levitate ability. Running HP Ice on Choice Scarf Gengar on Poison-type teams is also a great idea to check threats such as Landorus, Garchomp and Gliscor. Other than having great coverage it can use moves such as Trick and Destiny Bond to cripple walls or get rid of set-up Pokemon that won't see a scarf Destiny Bond coming.
  • Lum Berry --> Air Balloon, Poison Jab / Taunt --> Pursuit, 144 Spe --> 184 Spe ; Lum Berry isn't that useful of an item for Skuntank considering it's not a setup sweeper or anything like that so I suggest replacing it with Air Balloon which lets you switch in on Ground-type attacks and gains momentum against Pokemon locked into them such as Choice Band Excadrill and Choice Scarf Landorus-T. As terrors mentioned, Pursuit lets you trap Psychic-type Pokemon and is just useful in general for getting residual damage on Pokemon that Skuntank forces out. 184 Speed lets you outspeed Adamant max Speed Mega Scizor and do a lot of damage with Fire Blast or even OHKOing it if you get some chip damage on it previously or make it take Stealth Rock damage.
  • Aqua Tail / Poison Jab / Swords Dance --> Rock Slide / Earthquake / Protect ; Aqua Tail hits Ground-type Pokemon for super effective damage so I understand why it's there, however with Mega Venusaur, Gengar, Air Balloon Skuntank and Nidoking with Ice Beam, you don't need any more Ground checks. Poison Jab is only super effective against Grass- and Fairy-types which Poison-types don't struggle with at all so no point in running it on Scolipede, running one STAB move in Megahorn is enough. Rock Slide + Earthquake is great coverage and lets Scolipede deal with Flying- and Steel-types which Poison struggles against. Protect in my mind is important because Adamant Scolipede's Speed is not that impressive before the boost so this might cause some problems for you. Scolipede is a strong wallbreaker even without having to set up so running Protect over Swords Dance is more valuable.
  • -->
    or
    ; Crobat is nice for getting off a fast Defog but it's not that useful for much else. It's a Ground immunity but it doesn't hit that hard and it's easily checked. Tentacruel can get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin and has a lot of bulk but more importantly it checks Mega Sableye with Acid Spray, allowing you to take it out much easier with one of your special wallbreakers in Nidoking or Gengar. Mega Sableye once it sets up one Calm Mind can beat your entire team so you definitely want a way to check it and Tentacruel can do that very reliably. Tentacruel is also a switchin to Mega Charizard Y which you do not have on your team and it's also able to stack Toxic Spikes or get Scald burns so it definitely has a lot of utility and will benefit your team. An alternative option is adding Nidoqueen instead so you can run Stealth Rock on it and put more coverage on Nidoking. Nidoqueen is able to check Mega Sableye by running Poison Fang without the Sheer Force ability. Poison Fang has a 50% chance to badly poison Mega Sableye and it's gonna get worn down before being able to tear through your team. By adding Nidoqueen you don't have hazard removal or a switchin to Mega Charizard Y, however, but you can still check Mega Charizard Y with Rock Slide on Scolipede.
  • Stealth Rock --> Flamethrower ; If you chose replace Crobat with Nidoqueen, you can remove Stealth Rock and add Flamethrower to be able to hit Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor because Mega Scizor can actually set up on your current set and tear through your team.
Goethe (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Nietzsche (Gengar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast / Trick

Schiller (Skuntank) (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab / Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit

Schlegel (Scolipede) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect

Bismarck (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Stealth Rock

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Acid Spray

or

Nidoqueen @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rivalry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Fang
- Earth Power
- Dragon Tail

Hope I helped, good lick with the team! :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)