Project Player Interview #11: DripLegend

Status
Not open for further replies.
1v1 Player Interview #11: DripLegend
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Known for: Coming out of nowhere to become one of the top SV 1v1 players.

Favorite Pokemon: :hakamo-o:
Most Used Pokemon: :skeledirge:
===================================================================================

Welcome back to 1v1 Player Interviews! After our long hiatus, we'll be interviewing DripLegend! How are you doing today? How's life going for you?

I'm doing pretty good. School just ended for me recently so i finally have a much needed break from that stress.

Haha same, glad that you have that break though! Well, starting off, how did you get into Pokemon? What about competitive and 1v1?

I first started mainline games through Soulsilver and got Platinum soon after (two amazing games btw) and every since those I have been hooked and played every gen since then. Usually with my dad but he said gen 9 mons were ugly LOL. I started using ps for random battles and eventually got into the competitive scene through pokeaim like most people have. I've also been involved in other competitive scenes like making worlds for Pokken back in 2016 but yeah. I never really tried 1v1 until i started laddering it for fun in early gen 8, where i ran into LRXC on ladder while he was recording with Potatochan. They originally thought i was an alt which was really funny, and once the video got posted i was extremely happy to get featured, and it made me instantly hooked on the format.

With your starting 1v1 in early SS, what made you decide to start playing SV 1v1? How did you end up getting as good as you did at 1v1 as quickly as you did?

I wanted to play SV since i already had a love for the format and thought it would be nice to actually see a gen through the beginning for once. I had a lot of spontaneous activity during SS, and had to stop playing for a while due to some stuff going on in my life at the time. Starting a new gen from the beginning through all the chaos is something I hadn't done before and being on the same playing field as everyone else while discovering what was good made it a lot of fun to start. I got a lot better by being able to lurk and learn from other great players for a while. Being in spaces like the US central teamcord gave me a lot of inspiration for how to build and play the format even if I haven't gotten a chance to play in the tour myself. I've also been able to make and catch up with friends after being able to come back after leaving for a while and i'm especially thankful for all of them.

Speaking of tours, how was your experience in the Global Cup run? What were some of your favourite and least favourite moments?

I had a lot of fun playing Global Cup. The format allowed for a new spin on double elimination so it gave me the opportunity to make mistakes and not be instantly punished which was really helpful for learning experiences. My favorite moments have to be like 3 different series LOL, but if i had to pick one it would be my series vs delemon where I was able to use my insane gallade set which worked exactly as i imagined. One of my least favorite moments was everyone stealing my wp chien pao set (i now know not to showset in public replays LOOL) not that i don't like using it still but it was really unexpected that people had their eyes on me enough to start using my sets.

Now that you're in the top 16 in Majors, how do you feel that it's different from Global Cup? Are there any differences in how you prepare or play?​

I felt a lot more pressure to perform in this since my global cup run was really good. I definitely play with a little more stress knowing it's single elimination, but I still feel confident in myself. I prepared more for pools than round 1, since playing 3 people for two weeks is a lot but overall i'm still prepping a lot and hoping to have another great run. I would say my play is relatively the same, as once i'm starting a series i get into sort of a rhythm so stress doesn't affect me too much, but I was extremely paranoid about drowning in pools being a pool boss this time around.

That makes sense with the stress part, the stress of expectations is real... You were saying earlier that you would ladder quite a bit during SS. How do you think the experience of being a ladder player is different from being a tournament player in SV?​

There's a big change in environment and time input. Laddering has no overall drawbacks to losing (unless you really care about gxe) and lets you make more mistakes. The pool of players on the ladder is also smaller than a lot of other tiers, so it's really common to run into the same person multiple times running the same team, so cteaming is more common. Being a tournament player has a more intense focus on building, which can scare off newcomers to the format, but it really gives you good learning experience. There's a lot more stress with the threat of being eliminated if it isn't a team tour, but it does wonders for getting a better understanding of the format and interacting with more players in the community.

With PL a bit over a month away from starting, are you excited? What are your thoughts on how the SV metagame will shape up to be after the release of Pokemon Home?​

I'm really excited for this PL since it's going to be my first time signing up for one in the first place! I'm also really excited about the plans for what i'm doing during PL but those will see the light of day soon. I think the metagame will have a more diverse pool of usable pokemon which is always great, and threats that were previously overbearing are going to come back which is really awesome to see. I think there's going to be a week where everything is running around crazy, but with the power creep we've already seen this gen new strong threats are always welcome. PL will also be the first team tour with SV, which is really exciting as well. There could be bans at the beginning, but it's only natural with mons like Hoopa-Unbound returning. I just hope they don't put the cart before the Mudsdale again...

I'd hope they'd not do that again as well... that was absolutely painful... Anyways, on a bit of a different note now! Do you have any SV teams that you'd like to show off? Also, could you give us a bit of a look at your building process?​

:gallade: :chien-pao: :haxorus:
https://pokepast.es/2bb1af944aea7724
this is the team featuring the two crack sets i made for GC. The idea behind gallade was trick room allowed me to beat both iron valiant and espathra, two potent threats everyone was spamming at the time of making this. Roseli allows it to live specs moonblast from valiant. Haxorus also lured the protect sets that were popular at the time, as Espathra could just protect and win against first impression. Chien Pao was my sylveon lure, as having a team like this just screams weak to sylveon. The choice band set that's popular never had good rolls to OHKO sylveon, so i was thinking of how i could deal more damage. Weakness policy was made for this set, and it puts in a ton of work. Outside of sylveon, it lures first impression mons and fighting types that use close combat primarily. My general building process changes depending on a lot of factors, but i really enjoy building crack sets like these and changing expectations of what sets i'm using.

that's... definitely more creative of a team than any I've built this generation for sure! What are your plans for the future? Do you have anything that you're really looking forward to going forward?​

I'm really looking forward to PL right now, basically counting down the days for signups LOL. I'm especially excited since i plan to manage in it which is going to be a lot of fun. Majors is also going on too which i'm looking forward to playing in. I plan on starting to make some SV content, since most 1v1 content hasn't been published for the gen at large but i'm broke right now LOL. Home is also exciting for the meta going forward.

Looking forward to seeing all the SV content from you! Do you have any last words for the readers?​

Thanks for taking the time to read this i'm really grateful to get this opportunity! Don't be afraid to reach out! Making new friends and talking to people has been one of my favorite things to do since coming back. My dms on discord are always open :))

Thanks for your time!!

===================================================================================
Date of Interview: May 22nd, 2023
Duration of Interview: 93 minutes

There will be more interviews to come in the future, the hiatus is finally over!

If any of you all have questions for DripLegend, feel free to ask them below! I will be locking this thread at some point, but it will be open for at least a week, so ask away!​

LittEleven

A wanderer above the sea of fog
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What gets you motivated to build the most?
Do you prefer building solid teams that will stand the test of time, or teams that successfully lure certain Pokemon but have a limited scope of use?
Do you have any role models that you've looked to that have influenced your style, in both building and playing?
What's your favourite replay that: a) you've played b) you've watched, in 1v1?

What's your general thoughts on 1v1 as a metagame, how do you think it's changes since you first came in?
What's your favorite colour?
Pineapple on pizza or no?
What's the most exciting aspect of 1v1 for you?(ladder, solo tours, team tours, fightnights, any specific project?)
Most fun 1v1 user to talk to after me?
Favourite hobby outside ps?

fav clothing designers?
fav kpop girl?
how would you want to die?
skin routine?
hardest griselda album cover?
1684783168025.png
what does this ink blot resemble?
whats the meanest thing you have ever done?
any foods you are craving at this moment?
favorite eblurb discord status?
favorite eblurb discord pfp?
what pokemon do you wish had a future/past form?
thoughts on predeterminism?

DripLegend

a fake charisma
is a Forum Moderator
uhh do u play poker DripLegend
sometimes with friends, i need to play more
no comment
best bea song snail mail song beach bunny song clairo song girl in red song rn
cologne or he gets me so high (this list is 20 songs long), forever (sailing), entropy (need to listen to more beach bunny), alewife softly (literally every clairo song this question is unfair), fell in love in october (i don't listen to her much put me on)

sometimes with friends, i need to play more

no comment

cologne or he gets me so high (this list is 20 songs long), forever (sailing), entropy (need to listen to more beach bunny), alewife softly (literally every clairo song this question is unfair), fell in love in october (i don't listen to her much put me on)
good answers listen to like serotonin hornylovesickmess rue from girl in red and all of honeymoon by beach bunny if u havent already

When’s the vgc career starting
Who’s ur fav melee player
Do u have any pets
Teddiursa ursaring or ursaluna
Fav hobby outside of pokemon
Fav reaction gif

DripLegend

a fake charisma
is a Forum Moderator
What gets you motivated to build the most?
Do you prefer building solid teams that will stand the test of time, or teams that successfully lure certain Pokemon but have a limited scope of use?
Do you have any role models that you've looked to that have influenced your style, in both building and playing?
What's your favourite replay that: a) you've played b) you've watched, in 1v1?
1. seeing cool techs or sets from others, and just talking about the metagame with others. Also thinking of ways to use pokemon outside of "standard" sets or usage stats.
2. I like both but second hands down, making a successful lure that works properly feels amazing.
3. Nalei has always been someone i've looked up to in terms of creativity and having notoriously heat previews/sets. Playing-wise I really enjoy watching DenisTheMenace. Getting to team with him in OGPL was a great experience and he gave me a lot of good feedback.
4. playing wise would have to be this game vs rosa in a seasonal. It was my first time ever building with a lure, and even though i got owned in the series overall it was really awesome seeing the tech work so well. I don't think this game needs an explanation. Was especially intense since this series had our season on the line lmao.
platonic fmk: iron valiant skeledirge clodsire
f clodsire m dirge k valiant (give me a harder one this was the easiest decision of my life)

DripLegend

a fake charisma
is a Forum Moderator
Where did you get your epic name?
Is it an accurate description of yourself?
If you were to change your username, what would you change to?
What is the first community moment you remember?
1. my og smogon account was made with my real name and school email LOL so i needed to find something new to go by. DripLegend sounded cool (and it is cool).
2. I have tons of drip so yes. (i can flex pokemon worlds drip or just regular drip depending on what the people want to see more)
3. DripLegend is too iconic to change so I don't have a ton of ideas. Maybe shortening it to drip or something, maybe copying old usernames i used or ps alt names I have.
4. joker magikarp

how have you found 1v1 tutoring so far?
Tutoring has been great so far! Vertigo they're not ready for us

DripLegend

a fake charisma
is a Forum Moderator
What's your general thoughts on 1v1 as a metagame, how do you think it's changes since you first came in?
What's your favorite colour?
Pineapple on pizza or no?
What's the most exciting aspect of 1v1 for you?(ladder, solo tours, team tours, fightnights, any specific project?)
Most fun 1v1 user to talk to after me?
Favourite hobby outside ps?
1. The metagame has gone through a lot of turbulence this gen, but I like the place it's in before home and think it should be even better going forward. I don't really feel qualified to talk about the changes i've seen since my activity has been really weird over the past couple of years. Everyone from the community has been really nice though and I've made a lot of good friends here.
2. Purple or orange.
3. 1000% yes
4. Definitely tournaments as a whole, I like the team tour atmosphere a lot though so probably leaning towards that. It's always exciting talking to new people and playing with people you wouldn't interact with much otherwise.
5. this question is actually impossible. there's like 20 people
6. Volleyball, hopefully I'll be able to play soon for school but that shit is expensive LOL
what are your short term life goals?
long term?
1. finding a major to pursue for sure. I've mainly just been doing general education courses so finding a major would help in narrowing down other aspects of my future. Finding a new job too i guess since food industry is not kind lmao. Also maybe go on vacation this summer, no clue on where though.
2. travel the world

DripLegend

a fake charisma
is a Forum Moderator
Nice Chien-Pao set, would be such a shame if someone stole it and used it against you...
haha yeah...
When’s the vgc career starting
Who’s ur fav melee player
Do u have any pets
Teddiursa ursaring or ursaluna
Fav hobby outside of pokemon
Fav reaction gif
1. this summer trust
2. amsa
3. I have 2 dogs and they're both mad cute (i have hella pictures if anyone wants to see)
4. teddiursa
5. Volleyball for sure
6. I've got like 40 saved. Kid crying while cooking and emoji disintegrating are up there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)