Rejected - Inactive "Pinned" messages at the top of chatroom

Hi, for a few days i was wondering if it would be possible to implement a system of "pinned messages" at the top in chatrooms, such as telegram, so that a message you want to make known gets noticed by every user in the room. i know there's a similar command (/announcement), but pinning messages at the top would be useful in case you always want to bring attention to something in particular (for example in the Italian room there are open registrations for a tournament, and it would be nice to pin the message with the registration link - at the top of the chatroom, so that it's always immediately available to everyone), with the opportunity to hide it by the user, in case he no longer wants to see it

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
This has come up before. I believe Zarel was against it on the basis we already have enough tools to spam users with. I disagree with that on some things, but I do think this would be obnoxious and in the end, too much. Announcements already exist and serve a similar purpose, and people already barely read those. I doubt most would read this either.

Last edited:
For instances like your example, events are normally advertised/broadcasted on the roomintro, and in some cases, the PS! global news which appears on the left. Additionally, some rooms add /rfaqs (room FAQs) regarding a certain topic that users would be directed to.

Last edited:
This is what announcements and roomintros are for.
" i know there's a similar command (/announcement), but pinning messages at the top would be useful in case you always want to bring attention to something in particular "

I mean, when a user joins the chat sees the announcement (same for roomintros). But if there are many users talking at that time, the announcement no longer remains visible immediately and even for new users impractical with showdown commands, it could be a problem. By pinning a message at the top of the chat, however, this remains always visible at every user, without typing any type of command, with the ability to remove it whenever an user wants.

for example,you want to pin a link, for a tournament or for everything else. The link is there, immediately available to all, always visible without typing any command

in other words it could be a suggestion to make announcements pinned and/or always visibles, especially if important. i think it could be useful and not at all invasive, a single message would take a limited space at the top of chatroom.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
in other words it could be a suggestion to make announcements pinned and/or always visibles, especially if it's important. i think it could be useful and not at all invasive, a single message would take a limited space at the top of chatroom.
A big blue bar at the top of the room - potentially with annoying html in it - seems very invasive to me. At that point, everyone would minimize it, and then there's no real point to using it over an announcement. If you didn't have the ability to minimize, it would be extremely annoying.

potentially with annoying html in it
I mean, you could always disable the use of html in it. As I understood it, this needs to be a simple message that should be (if not specifically hidden by the user) visible at all times. For more complicated things, I agree, the room intro does the job already.

Additionally, I think it should un-hide when the pinned message changes (I don't think there should be more than one pinned message at a time, both for readability and screen real estate).

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
I mean, you could always disable the use of html in it. As I understood it, this needs to be a simple message that should be (if not specifically hidden by the user) visible at all times.
Still, that could be potentially annoying, depending on how much text is in it. It seems like in general announcements already cover the use-cases for this, without the main drawbacks.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Would lowkey make for a sick way to display dynamic game fields or info for game rooms

Edit: The option to ignore these should exist in general if they get added. I can see how this is an annoyance (especially on mobile) that takes up more space than you want it to

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)