VGC Perish Trap Team

I am a complete noob who just got into competitive Pokemon but the idea of trapping a team into a by perish room seems so goonly and fun to me.

The team I have now centers around Lapras and Alolan Marowak setting up perish song, with good defense and special defense respectively, and complementary strengths and weaknesses, they are my current choices for perish singing. Obviously shadow tag is the main way I am forcing these Pokemon to stay in, so Gothitelle and Gothorita exist only for their ability and to stall. Lastly Togekiss and Amoonguss serve to redirect and yet again stall. Lapras GMAX Resonance is also huge for being able to survive the three turns for perish room to kill.

Lapras @ Light Clay
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Perish Song
-Freeze Dry
-Protect
-Substitute

Lapras is the main Perish Song setter as a good defensive pokemon with GMax Resonance to help stall, I usually lead with lapras then dynamax to set up Aurora Veil. Freeze Dry is Lapras main STAB move, and protect and substitute serve to help stall as long as possible. The light clay helps keep up Aurora Veil as long as possible, and Shell Armor keeps Lapras alive by preventing crits.

Alolan Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
-Perish Song
-Poltergeist
-Flare Blitz
-Protect

While Lapras usually serves as my lead, if the opposing team has too much that threatens Lapras I send in Marowak. With good defense he can take a hit from physical attackers, and his high attack STAB Flare Blitz and Poltergeist can make him a threat on the offensive, especially against others ghost types immune to shadow tag. Protect serves to allow marowak to stall.

Gothitelle @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Fake Out
-Rest
-Protect
-Substitute

Gothitelle's only purpose is to stay alive on the battlefield. All of her moves either protect her from damage or heal her except fake out. Fake out is used to allow Gothitelle to flinch someone on the first turn who might threaten the Perish Song set up. The EVs are set up for one goth girl to have max Def and the other to have max SpD.

Gothorita @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Fake Out
-Protect
-Substitute
-Ally Switch

Same idea here but with an eviolite, and better SpD. The move ally switch can allow for some shenanigans when you can predict where the opponent will attack.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Air Slash
-Follow me
-Protect
-Substitute

Togekiss's main purpose on the team is to follow me to protect either a Perish Singer or one of the Goth girls. Air Slash is Togekiss's STAB move with a god chance to flinch. The Protect and Substitute serve to stall as well. If I can get a substitute off and then follow me I find it works quite well. Togekiss's resistance to dragon is quite nice and the weakness to ice is not a huge issue given Lapras and Marowak's resistance to it.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
-Pollen Puff
-Spore
-Rage Powder
-Protect

Amoonguss serves the same role as Togekiss with Rage Powder and Protect. Spore is a different move to help stall, and Pollen puff can be used offensively and to heal teammates. I got the EV spread from a competitive guide and I won't pretend to know why that's recommended.

This is the team I am working with now, but I would appreciate and tips for improvement of this team. I have no competitive experience and only found out about smogon just yesterday.

VGC is currently in series 8 which allows people to use 1 restricted pokemon like Zacian or Xerneas, so before I give it a proper rate I just need to ask one question. Where's the restricted? Cuz right now, it's very difficult to give a team that doesn't have a restricted pokemon in it a proper rate.

Last edited:
VGC is currently in series 8 which allows people to use 1 restricted pokemon like Zacian or Xerneas, so before I give it a proper rate I just need to ask one question. Where's the restricted? Cuz right now, it's very difficult to give a team that doesn't have a restricted pokemon in it a proper rate.
I know you're allowed one restricted but I didn't find any that fit this team very well so at the moment I do not have one.

I know you're allowed one restricted but I didn't find any that fit this team very well so at the moment I do not have one.
If you're unable to fit a restricted on that team... then I'd suggest looking at different teams. Any team that doesn't have a restricted pokemon on their team is gonna get completely walloped by any team that does have one.

i would replace gothorita for zacian or calyrex ice (or glastrier if your on s9) and put trick room over rest and helping hand over substitute
Gothitelle @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 108 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Protect
this is a s9 set i ran so i think you might like it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)