VGC Pelipper

[OVERVIEW]

* Pelipper's role is primarily to set rain for its teammates, but functions it as an offensive support Pokemon with fully accurate Hurricanes and access to Tailwind and Wide Guard.

* Rain boosts the power of Water-type teammates such as Palafin, Floatzel, and Drednaw, and it also weakens Fire-type moves for Fire-weak partners such as Amoonguss, Gholdengo, and Kingambit.

* Pelipper's overall bulk is lacking, particularly specially, and super effective attacks like Thunderbolt from Gholdengo or Rotom-W are capable of OHKOing it.

[SET]
name: Pelipper
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Hydro Pump / Helping Hand
move 4: Protect / Wide Guard
item: Focus Sash / Damp Rock
ability: Drizzle
nature: Timid
tera type: Ground / Grass
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Hurricane's full accuracy in Rain makes it mandatory on Pelipper. It provides consistent damage and threatens the Grass-type Pokemon that resist Water.

* Hydro Pump is Pelipper's best Water-type attack but can be forgone if accuracy is a concern. Helping Hand paired with a fast Water-type Pokemon can compensate for the lack of reliable Water-type damage.

* Wide Guard can be used over Protect to answer ubiquitous spread moves such as Gholdengo's Make it Rain and Sylveon's Hyper Voice.

* Focus Sash ensures Pelipper survives attacks from Pokemon that might otherwise outspeed and OHKO it, such as Hydreigon and Annihilape. Damp Rock extends the uptime of Pelipper's rain-reliant teammates, allowing them to beat bulkier teams without requiring repeat switch-ins.

* 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Pelipper to outspeed the entire metagame with Tailwind, as well as some notable Choice Scarf threats such as Annihilape.

* A Ground Tera type grants Pelipper an immunity to Electric and a resistance to Rock, which are its main concerns. With a Grass Tera type, it instead resists Electric, but this grants an immunity to Spore and Rage Powder.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[smogon account, 377427]]
- Quality checked by: [[yuki, 294287]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited by a moderator:
couple notes

I personally use grass tera as well but ground seems to be the more popular choice, so I went with it first

I was debating dark tera because even though Pelipper matches up well into murkrow, it gets taunted regularly. Dark tera could come in clutch for setting up a necessary tailwind. The edit mentioned flying tera as well, which seems solid to OHKO amoonguss specifically since it normally does 70-80% or so. I just don't know how many tera types is too many for the sake of simplicity I've decided it's not worth including these options in the analysis

Item options: Personally, sash seems so superior to damp rock that I thought about just not putting it, but I've seen enough especially from jp players that I decided to slash it anyway. Even though I haven't seen it yet, bulky pelipper has been an option in the past, so I was wondering if I should come up with a bulkier Sitrus/AV set as well after running calcs it just isn't really worth mentioning right now

Originally I set it to modest, but after double checking, modest speed ties scarf Annihilape in tailwind, so I think Timid is better keeping timid, the annihilape stat feels relevant enough

Last edited:

yuki

Huh? Me? Not this time...
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
ADD REMOVE COMMENT HIGHLIGHT

[OVERVIEW]

* Pelipper's role is primarily to set rain for its teammates, but functions as an offensive support with fully accurate Hurricanes and access to Tailwind and Wide Guard.

* Drizzle boosts the power of Water-type Pokemon paired with Pelipper such as Palafin, Floatzel, and Drednaw. It also cuts the power of Fire-type moves, making it a useful partner for Pokemon weak to Fire such as Amoonguss, Gholdengo, and Kingambit.

* Pelipper's STAB attacks hit harder than expected and are a reliable source of damage output. (Really don't care for this as a point, you can maybe talk about this as a side-point in the first bullet because offensive support implies it has decent offensive output)

* Pelipper's overall bulk is lacking, particularly on the special side, and super effective attacks like Lycanroc's Rock Slide and Rotom's Thunderbolt (So this refers to just base Rotom. I'd probably just pick a Rotom forme here and just say like "Rotom-W's Thunderbolt" cause that's the one that it is definitely never beating) are capable of OHKOing it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Hydro Pump is Pelipper's best Water-type attack but can be forgone if accuracy is a concern.

* Helping Hand paired with a fast Water-type Pokemon can compensate for the lack of reliable Water-type damage. (Would combine this with the above bullet are we are mentioning them in the same slot)

* Wide Guard can be used over Protect as an answer to ubiquitous spread moves such as Gholdengo's Make it Rain and Sylveon's Hyper Voice.

* Focus Sash ensures Pelipper survives attacks that otherwise OHKO it (An example or two is never amiss). Damp Rock extending rain's uptime can be beneficial for slower-paced teams. (I don't know if slower-paced is necessarily the right term here. I feel like the point here is that you're gonna play a longer game against bulkier teams, so having the rain for the whole of that game without relying on having to switch Pelipper in more is better. If there's a way that can be put into words, that'd be great.)

* 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Pelipper to outspeed the entire metagame with Tailwind as well as some notable Choice Scarf threats such as Annihilape. 252 Special Attack EVs maximize Pelipper's damage output.

* Ground Tera grants Pelipper an immunity to Electric-type attacks and a resistance to Rock-type attacks, which are its main concern.

* Grass Tera instead resists the Electric-type and grants an immunity to Spore and Rage Powder. (Think I'd make these the same point)

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[yuki, 294287]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username, user ID]]

Let me know when this is implemented

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
[OVERVIEW]

* Pelipper's role is primarily to set rain for its teammates, but it functions as an offensive support Pokemon with fully accurate Hurricanes and access to Tailwind and Wide Guard.

* Drizzle boosts the power of Water-type Pokemon paired with Pelipper such as Palafin, Floatzel, and Drednaw. It also cuts the power of Fire-type moves, making it a useful partner for Pokemon weak to Fire Rain boosts the power of Water-type teammates such as Palafin, Floatzel, and Drednaw, and it also weakens Fire-type moves for Fire-weak partners such as Amoonguss, Gholdengo, and Kingambit.

* Pelipper's overall bulk is lacking, particularly on the special side, specially, and super effective attacks like Thunderbolt from Gholdengo or Rotom-W are capable of OHKOing it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Hurricane is the primary STAB move instead of a Water-type move, since Pelipper's rain teammates already provide Water-type moves, and Hurricane nails Grass-types, which resist Water. (I imagine something like this makes sense? Feel free to change the wording or info as much as you want. If this is totally missing the point, maybe replace it with a better explanation of why hurricane is more important than H pump, if appropriate? idk)

* Hydro Pump is Pelipper's best Water-type attack but can be forgone for a weaker alternative (I imagine?) if accuracy is a concern. Helping Hand paired with a fast Water-type Pokemon can compensate for the lack of reliable Water-type damage.

* Wide Guard can be used over Protect as an answer to answer ubiquitous spread moves such as Gholdengo's Make it Rain and Sylveon's Hyper Voice.

* Focus Sash ensures Pelipper survives attacks from Pokemon that might otherwise outspeed and OHKO it, (AC) such as Hydreigon and Annihilape. Damp Rock extends the uptime of Pelipper's rain-reliant teammates, allowing them to beat bulkier teams without requiring repeat switch-ins.

* 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Pelipper to outspeed the entire metagame with Tailwind, (AC) as well as some notable Choice Scarf threats such as Annihilape.

* A Ground Tera type grants Pelipper an immunity to Electric-type attacks and a resistance to Rock-type attacks, which are its main concern. concerns. With a Grass Tera type, it instead resists the Electric-type and Electric, but this grants an immunity to Spore and Rage Powder.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[yuki, 294287]] (fixed credits formatting)
Adeleine-1.gif

GP Team done

Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
[OVERVIEW]

* Pelipper's role is primarily to set rain for its teammates, but it functions as an offensive support Pokemon with fully accurate Hurricanes and access to Tailwind and Wide Guard.

* Drizzle boosts the power of Water-type Pokemon paired with Pelipper such as Palafin, Floatzel, and Drednaw. It also cuts the power of Fire-type moves, making it a useful partner for Pokemon weak to Fire Rain boosts the power of Water-type teammates such as Palafin, Floatzel, and Drednaw, and it also weakens Fire-type moves for Fire-weak partners such as Amoonguss, Gholdengo, and Kingambit.

* Pelipper's overall bulk is lacking, particularly on the special side, specially, and super effective attacks like Thunderbolt from Gholdengo or Rotom-W are capable of OHKOing it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Hurricane is the primary STAB move instead of a Water-type move, since Pelipper's rain teammates already provide Water-type moves, and Hurricane nails Grass-types, which resist Water. (I imagine something like this makes sense? Feel free to change the wording or info as much as you want. If this is totally missing the point, maybe replace it with a better explanation of why hurricane is more important than H pump, if appropriate? idk)

* Hydro Pump is Pelipper's best Water-type attack but can be forgone for a weaker alternative (I imagine?) if accuracy is a concern. Helping Hand paired with a fast Water-type Pokemon can compensate for the lack of reliable Water-type damage.

* Wide Guard can be used over Protect as an answer to answer ubiquitous spread moves such as Gholdengo's Make it Rain and Sylveon's Hyper Voice.

* Focus Sash ensures Pelipper survives attacks from Pokemon that might otherwise outspeed and OHKO it, (AC) such as Hydreigon and Annihilape. Damp Rock extends the uptime of Pelipper's rain-reliant teammates, allowing them to beat bulkier teams without requiring repeat switch-ins.

* 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Pelipper to outspeed the entire metagame with Tailwind, (AC) as well as some notable Choice Scarf threats such as Annihilape.

* A Ground Tera type grants Pelipper an immunity to Electric-type attacks and a resistance to Rock-type attacks, which are its main concern. concerns. With a Grass Tera type, it instead resists the Electric-type and Electric, but this grants an immunity to Spore and Rage Powder.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[yuki, 294287]] (fixed credits formatting)
View attachment 477638
GP Team done
thank you :)
the only thing I didn't change was "for a weaker alternative"
the context here is that the best alternative for hydro pump is actually water pulse so it's hydro pump or bust essentially
will update accordingly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)