move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Night Slash / Brick Break / Thief
move 4: Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice
ability: Defiant
nature: Jolly
evs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Pawniard's unique typing and impressive statline gives it the ability to serve as a soft check to a multitude of Pokemon while being able to throw out strong attacks of it's own. Pawniard's resistance to Flying, access to Stealth Rocks, and Defiant ability make it a great way to punish Defog Vullaby, Moonblast Spritzee, or Sticky Web from Cutiefly. Priority Sucker Punch also allows Pawniard to revenge kill or threaten a lot of faster or Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Wingull, Diglett, or Chinchou for example. Swords Dance allows Pawniard to OHKO Berry Juice Trapinch and deal massive damage to Eviolite variants on top of sweep offensive teams that lack Mudbray or Onix with ease. Thief can be used with Berry Juice in order to snatch Eviolite and Berry Juice off of other Pokemon. Brick Break is a final alternative for being to apply damage to Ferroseed and other Pawniard.

Pawniard struggles with almost all the Ground-types in the tier making Ground checks absolutely mandatory for Pawniard. Pokemon like Frillish or Koffing are decent partners to pivot alongside Pawniard while also taking care of Pawniard's other susceptible weakness in Fighting. In turn, Pawniard can offer them a check to Pokemon such as Ponyta or non Nasty Plot Vullaby. On the offensive side Wingull, Corphish, and Chinchou all serve as decent offensive answers being able to check Pokemon like Onix, Mudbray, and especially Trapinch. Pawniard can also threaten Frillish for Corphish and Wingull. Corphish is also notable for being able abuse Trapinch after it revenge kills Pawniard by setting a Swords Dance afterwards. Other Pokemon that can revenge kill Diglett and Trapinch for Pawniard like Wynaut are amazing partners to come in after Pawniard is trapped. Fighting-types appreciate Pawniard's ability to check Fairy-types and in turn they provide a check to Onix or Ferroseed. Pawniard can also set up Stealth Rocks so wallbreakers like Farfetch'd can claim OHKOs on Pokemon with Focus Sash or Sturdy. Pokemon that Trapinch needs to be healthy in order to check such as Onix make for excellent partners for Pawniard due to their abilities to both weaken one of their tougher checks. Cutiefly with Sticky Webs provides phenomenal support for Swords Dance Pawniard allowing it to use it's great speed to outspeed all grounded Pokemon after Sticky Webs and using Sucker Punch to kill the few non-grounded Pokemon that could like Wingull and Drifloon.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<Take Azelfie>, <userid1>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<tazz>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Last edited:
Pawniard sets are actually quite variable with the departure of knock off with Iron Head and Sucker being the usual mainstays, and I think the set can reflect this quite a bit more with some edits, looking something like this:
- Iron Head
- Night Slash/Brick Break/Thief
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock/Swords Dance
With berry juice slashed with eviolite to be run with thief
You also need to add a few things to your description
- add that swords dance allows Pawniard to avoid being trapped by non-eviolite trapinch and allows it to do massive damage to eviolite trapinch
- add its ability to come in to revenge it after it dies to trapinch as a reason that corphish makes a good partner
- add that Pokemon that Trapinch needs to be healthy to trap like Onix or Pokemon that revenge it like Wynaut can serve as good teammates to deter Trapinch
- add cutiefly with sticky webs as a good partner for Swords Dance pawniard, as webs are difficult to remove thanks to defiant and it can avoid being revenged by 17 speed mons under webs
QC 1/2

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Just dropping a quick AM check. I've also noticed a couple of grammar issues like Stealth Rocks and Sticky Webs and calling Pawniard "him" when Pawniards can be female too and we tend to use gender-neutral terms in analyses. Would be worth giving this a read before you send this analysis off to GP.

[SET]
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Night Slash / Brick Break / Thief
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice
ability: Defiant
nature: Jolly
evs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
If a move is slashed, then it means it's replaceable, so Sucker Punch should be move number 2.

Pawniard's unique typing and impressive statline gives it the ability to serve as a soft check to a multitude of Pokemon while being able to throw out strong attacks of it's own. Pawniard's resistance to Flying, access to Stealth Rocks, and Defiant ability make it a great way to punish Defog Vullaby but also Spritzee and Cutiefly's Moonblast as well.
  • Cutiefly's moonblast is a pretty shaky switch-in as sash sets 2HKO after rocks and LO sets do like 57% min. Sticky Web is probably a better example as it's less bothered by it than other offensive threats thanks to Sucker Punch.

Swords Dance allows Pawniard to OHKO Berry Juice Trapinch and deal massive damage to Eviolite variants on top of sweep offensive teams that lack Mudbray or Onix with ease due to priority Sucker Punch and Pawniard's high damage output with it's STABs though it will also have to learn to play around 50-50s involving Substitute on Pokemon like Diglett or Drifloon.
  • If you're going to talk about Sucker Punch 50-50s, it probably shouldn't be in the same sentence that you talk about Swords Dance. If you're going to talk about them, you could talk about how it's low speed tier, it tends to rely on Sucker Punch in order to deal with a lot of its checks, which requires Pawniard to predict heavily, but that should be in a different sentence as it's more of a usage tip.

On the offensive side Wingull, Corphish, and Chinchou all serve as decent offensive answers being able to check Pokemon like Onix, Mudbray, and especially Trapinch for him with Pawniard providing priority for scarfers that may try to revenge kill these Pokemon and an answer to Frillish for the former. Corphish is also notable for being able abuse Trapinch after it revenge kills Pawniard by setting a Swords Dance afterwards.
  • The first sentence is pretty long, should probably be split into 2. I'm also not too sure which scarfers can be revenge killed with Sucker Punch tbh. Farfetch'd and Vullaby both resist it, so you're basically only talking about Scarf Chinchou. Which it needs a bit of chip to be able to revenge kill anyway (156 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Chinchou: 12-15 (50 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). I think it needs to be specified that you're revenge killing weakened foes.
  • Second sentence there also kinda assumes a lot. Yeah it might force it out but depending on what's on the opponent's team (i.e something like Frillish), Swords Dance isn't always the best idea. I'd just remove that sentence.

Other Pokemon that can revenge kill Pawniard like Wynaut are also amazing partners to come in after Pawniard is trapped.
  • I'm guessing you mean revenge kill Trapinch or Diglett?
Pawniard can provide a lot for a Fighting-type partners proving as a solid check to Fairy-types. Farfetch'd and Timburr are some examples of Pokemon that could work well with Pawniard with the former also benefiting a lot from Stealth Rocks being up to prevent Stealth Rocks from preventing it's wallbreaking.
  • Idk what you're trying to say about Stealth Rock here. If you want to talk about synergy, Galarian Farfetch'd and Timburr can check Onix better (Onix takes like 20-30% from Sucker).
Cutiefly with Sticky Webs provides phenomenal support for Swords Dance Pawniard allowing it to use it's great speed to outspeed all grounded Pokemon after Sticky Webs and using Sucker Punch to kill the few non-grounded Pokemon that could like Wingull and Scarf Rufflet.
  • Drifloon seems like a more relevant example as it can actually KO it and is more viable.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Just dropping a quick AM check. I've also noticed a couple of grammar issues like Stealth Rocks and Sticky Webs and calling Pawniard "him" when Pawniards can be female too and we tend to use gender-neutral terms in analyses. Would be worth giving this a read before you send this analysis off to GP.

If a move is slashed, then it means it's replaceable, so Sucker Punch should be move number 2.

• Cutiefly's moonblast is a pretty shaky switch-in as sash sets are 2HKO'd after rocks and LO sets do like 57% min. Sticky Web is probably a better example as it's less bothered by it than other offensive threats thanks to Sucker Punch.

• If you're going to talk about Sucker Punch 50-50s, it probably shouldn't be in the same sentence that you talk about Swords Dance. If you're going to talk about them, you could talk about how it's low speed tier, it tends to rely on Sucker Punch in order to deal with a lot of its checks, which requires Pawniard to predict heavily, but that should be in a different sentence as it's more of a usage tip.

• The first sentence is pretty long, should probably be split into 2. I'm also not too sure which scarfers can be revenge killed with Sucker Punch tbh. Farfetch'd and Vullaby both resist it, so you're basically only talking about Scarf Chinchou. Which it needs a bit of chip to be able to revenge kill anyway (156 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Chinchou: 12-15 (50 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). I think it needs to be specified that you're revenge killing weakened foes.
  • Second sentence there also kinda assumes a lot. Yeah it might force it out but depending on what's on the opponent's team (i.e something like Frillish), Swords Dance isn't always the best idea. I'd just remove that sentence.

• I'm guessing you mean revenge kill Trapinch or Diglett?

• Idk what you're trying to say about Stealth Rock here. If you want to talk about synergy, Galarian Farfetch'd and Timburr can check Onix better (Onix takes like 20-30% from Sucker).

• Drifloon seems like a more relevant example as it can actually KO it and is more viable.
I'll implement a lot of this stuff when second QC comes in as well. Realizing some of these mistakes after the fact lmao. Only thing reason I didn't mention Drifloon in that last point was because of Substitute making it shaky but it's still probo a better point than Rufflet. I appreciate this a lot though!

Also semi-bumping this but I thought I would respond to that at least

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
"- add its ability to come in to revenge it after it dies to trapinch as a reason that corphish makes a good partner"

"Second sentence there also kinda assumes a lot. Yeah it might force it out but depending on what's on the opponent's team (i.e something like Frillish), Swords Dance isn't always the best idea. I'd just remove that sentence."

Added all of the AM Check except for the second quote above. Just didn't want to remove something that I had been told to add.

Kept the part about Stealth Rocks but clarified that I was talking about breaking sashes/sturdy for stuff like Far to OHKO. Berks sorry for the delay x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)