Partners in Crime

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Partners in Crime
Welcome to this metagame! This is a metagame based on Doubles OU, but with a twist! The concept was that you "share" your moves and abilities with your partner. This means that you can use your partners moves (aka, eight moves will show up in the selection screen). Additionally, the ability of your current partner will affect you. Say you have a Heatran and a Cresselia in the field, both of them experience Flash Fire and Levitate effects, but if you switch out Cresselia for Nidoking, Heatran loses the Levitate effect and "gains" Sheer Force instead. This means that you can get powerful combinations, but you need to be both skilled at teambuilding and at playing. You need to make sure your team can benefit from each other and has good synergy during teambuilding, however you need to plan ahead while playing to make sure you can get the combinations you want on the field together, so you can sweep.

Banlist: Standard Doubles OU Banlist, Huge Power, Kangaskhanite, Mawilite, Medichamite, Pure Power, Wonder Guard.
Unbanlist: Nothing as of now.
Clauses: Pokemon, Standard Doubles, Team Preview.

FAQ
What happens if Gastro Acid, Skill Swap, Entrainment or any similar move is used?
Since you don't actually have your partner's ability, your normal abilities will be taken into account. This means that the partner's ability is totally unaffected.

What about Trace?
It just copies the ability of one of the opponents.

What if the two Pokemon have the same ability?
The ability won't stack, and thus nothing special will happen.

What happens if both Pokemon know the same move?
It will only appear once.

How do Transform and Imposter work?
They cause you to transform into a Pokemon and copy their original ability and moves, so not those of your partner. Similarly, you'll still be affected by your partners ability and be able to use its moves.

How do Mimic, Mirror Move, etc. work?
They will copy the move regardless of whether the original Pokemon or partner used it.

What happens when abilities overlap? (eg. Refrigerate and Pixilate)
The one of the user takes priority. The other's effect won't work.

What happens when your partner switches out?
You may not use a move of your partner when it switches out. Whether you use the ability of the partner depends on whether it takes effect before or after switching. Turn order is determined before switching, so if your partner has Prankster, it will take effect, but if it has Tough Claws it will (likely, unless you're using Pursuit) be after switching, so it won't work. It works similarly with the new partner switching in.

What happens with abilities that work upon switching in?
They'll only take effect on a partner if a Pokemon with one of these abilities (Intimidate, Sand Stream, etc.) in on the field and a new partner switches in.

What happens when your partner faints?
After your partner faints, it's abilities will be nullified, but you can still use its move if you chose to use a move of your partner that particular turn. Afterwards you can't use its moves anymore.

What happens when you only have one Pokemon left?
Then you'll only have one ability in effect and only be able to use your own moves.

Strategy Ideas

A lot of users have been excited about this Pokemon! It now doubles the defense of your partner as well! However, watch out since it's pretty easy to remove Furfrou with special attacks, in addition to two Pokemon being able to massacre your team at once. Still, could be a powerful pivot!

Landorus-I has a great ability in Sheer Force, which could be very beneficial in this metagame since many Pokemon have moves that can be powered up by it, allowing it assist a lot of Pokemon. It may not be that good in standard doubles, but it'll definitely be more useful here!

In general, immunity abilities have become even better, since you can protect your partner with them as well. Predict an Earthquake? Switch in Cresselia and neither 'mon will be hit. Think that Camerupt is going to use Eruption, go Heatran!

Kyurem-Black could be a threat because it has another great ability to support its partner. Mold Breaker and its clones will help against the many immunity abilities, in addition to ignoring standard ones like Unaware.

Of course, there are many more good strategies and there are even combinations of abilities that could be great when you play well and are able to combine them reliably! Luckily there's a lot to discuss, so go ahead and have fun.

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another Snaquaza Metagame from the Tree ghost Dragon himself!

Already have a core in my mind with....

Kyurem-Black and Mega Metagross!

First Of All; Tough Claws Kyurem-Black.
Second of all; They both disregard furfrou shenanigans and hit a lot harder.
The Ofensive merits of Mega Metagross works well with Kyurem-Black; with Meteor Mash hitting he fairy/Rock types Kyurem-Black is afraid of; while psychic knocks down the fighting types.
Kyurem Black is able to take out the Fire Types with earth power; whilst hitting the Ground types with Ice beam.
Here are some sets that work well together!

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 spe
Mild nature
- Ice beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt/Iron Head/Shadow Claw

Also note the fact that noivern gets STAB boomburst when paired with aerilate/protean mons.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Snaquaza has done it again! Heres an interesting pair.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

AND

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- EarthPower
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Bomb

The combo of Sheer Force and Mold Breaker is super potent in this set. Sheer Force boosts Gyarados's STABS to immense levels while Mold Breaker helps Landie wallbreak by ignoring petty Levitators and such. Landy helps Gyra by eleminating Faeries and Mega Venu (which might get more popular on defensive teams) that wall it.

Oh. Ban Speed Boost. Youll thank me later.

Edit: I just got an even better Idea. Run Swords Dance on Landy and Ice Beam on Gyarados. Now Landy has more coverage options and Gyara can Wallbreak!!

Last edited:

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
This idea looks a fun af twist to my favorite meta, very excited to try it out :)

One of the things the above sets don't have is Protect. While more coverage over 8 moves is nice, not having Protect can be deadly in a Doubles format where insane amounts of coverage is being thrown around. Although you can share the Protect moveslot with a partner, I still anticipate seeing Protect on at least half of the non-choiced mons on the team.

Speaking of choiced, scarfers look scary af :s with more coverage to choose from, common scarfers such as Landorus-T and Genesect become all the more scary, especially with spread options becoming available to ones without them such as Kyurem-B and the aforementioned Genesect. Fast mons in general just become much much more scary with twice the options available to them :o

Follow Me also looks very nice, having it shared between partners means that you can have more resists depending on who wants to redirect. For instance, a Rotom-W or Thundurus can Rage Powder away a Brave Bird from Talonflame that Amoonguss would not want to take, giving the Amoong a free turn to Spore the Talon and neutralize the threat.

What happens if I choice lock myself into my partners move and then switch the partner out? Will I be choice locked into the move in the same slot of the new partners moves, or will I get to pick again, or will I struggle?

G-Luke

Yeah. But two Intimidate users dont stack. So they operate as usual. Edit: As in no .25 atk

Reactions: Mq

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
I'll be trying to code this over winter break, not at a computer rn but have some ideas that I'll play around with. If anyone else wants to help, that would be great though! I'll be on PS later :)

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Protect

prankster spore + twave + taunt on amoonguss, im not good at theorymonning so this might be bad but perhaps offensive thundurus would be good because you have regenerator so you heal a bit more easily, amoonguss has rage power after all, thundurus gets sludge bomb giga drain now idk how much that helps it but ay

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Tailwind

Staraptor @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf(??)
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Close Combat
- Final Gambit
- Brave Bird

strong birds, priority brave bird TWICE + tailwind + roost and some good mdg on flare blitz + close combat + final gambit but ddon't forget the reckless boost from staraptor. intimidate might be really shitty if people start running something like defiant lol so reckless is probably better so you'll just do a lot of dmg

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
-

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 192 Def / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
-

You don't need anything else really.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Can we ban prankster? Otherwise everything will be forced to run safety goggles. Cuz prankster spore seems pretty broken... Cool concept though.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice
- Protect / Quick Guard

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice / Protect
- Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast
- Electrify

It's back. This is going to be fun.

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
-

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 236 HP / 192 Def / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
-

You don't need anything else really.
You forgot Earthquake.

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
A few cores that I've come up with

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

The perfect physical attacker repellent, having these 2 on the field makes the opponent take around 42% for every contact move they use!

Dragonites set is a bit mismatched, tbh I didn't know what moved to run on it, a choice band set might also be viable

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Protect

-Atespeed is back, and in some ways, it's better than ever, with 2 mons able to abuse it at the same time

Another core, Dragonites set is a bit mismatched, tbh I didn't know what moved to run on it, a choice band set might also be viable

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Synthesis
- Glare

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Psyshock

Contrary shenanigans, there's no good nature to run on Serperior, it needs all its stats

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Not only is it a Sand Setter, but also a sand sweeper! 2 for the price of one. Able to hit stupidly hard and fast. Alternatively run normal TTar with AV or Chice Band if your mega is already taken

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Dance

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Protect

One of the major letdown a of crawdaunt is its speed, while partially patched up by Aqua jet, sucker punch gives it a high powered priority move to hit more moms, adaptability makes Bisharp stupidly strong.

Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Sunny Day
- Power Whip

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Fang

Simple enough, recovery, flash fire, protect, a good set of mixed walls, if only one of them got follow me
[hide/]

Raikou @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt /Discharge
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Despite Rampardps' measly SpA stat, it has an insane special move pool, which I decided to take advantage of with a special attacker lacking a good
Move pool, Raikou, raikou also contributes extreme speed, giving Rampardps some insane priority to use off of his Whopping attack stat, while also able to contribute to ate users, like Mega Pinsir

Last edited:

G-Luke

Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

The perfect physical attacker repellent, having these 2 on the field makes the opponent take around 42% for every contact move they use!
In singles this team would be fucking hard to break, but in a fast paced Doubles metagame tanks just wont cut it. Offensive Chomp does have its merits however checking burd spam and Fake Out abusers.

iliketrains11

Do I need more explanation?
Mega Gengar gets like almost every move it needs in like Perish Song, Disable, Will-o-wisp, Taunt, Shadow Ball, and then you give it Prankster and Liepard's movepool, making it have things like Encore+Fake Out+Foul Play+Taunt+Thunder Wave+Swagger+SNARL and tons of other things.

Gothitelle gets Shadow Tag+Prankster+Fake Tears+Taunt+other things while Thundurus has a high SpA+great coverage+Brave Bird resistance.

Here's some more core ideas:

Noivern @ Focus Sash
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Super Fang / Taunt
- Tailwind
- Protect / Taunt

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Feint
- Close Combat / Earthquake
- Protect

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 Spe / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles / Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
- Protect / Helping Hand

Jirachi gets Thunder Wave immunity, while Diancie gets support moves and a 100% chance of boosting defense with Diamond Storm

Entei @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Snarl / Rock Climb
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles / Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
- Protect / Helping Hand

100% burn chance on Sacred Fire, paraflinch, AND confusion.

On Noivern I think you meant Telepathy, not Frisk. That would let you Boomburst and not hurt Mega Pinsir. Interesting ideas, btw.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

The mighty burd talonflame is back to give mega aerodactyl his blessing of power. Aerodactyl gains tough claws boosted gale wings prioritised brave birds in addition of swords dance, flare blitz and will o wisp. Aerodactyl can destroy offense with ease and you would need a very bulky wall to handle it

Actually talonflame gives any flying type priority brave bird lol, so you can substitute mega aero with other things like landorus, dragonite, salamence, skarmory, etc.

I don't think talonburd will last long in this meta

Last edited:
Yep another meta where stab boomburst/espeed a good set would be like
Salamence@Salamencite
Moxie
Modest Nature/Adamant Nature
Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw
Hyper Voice/Return
Fire Blast/Earthquake
Hydro Pump/Dragon Dance

Noivern@Choice Scarf/Dragonite@Weakness Policy
Telephathy/Multiscale
Boomburst/Extreme Speed
Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw
U-turn/Earthquake
Switcheroo/Dragon Dance

Bam stab boomburst/espeed

Last edited:
Technical question here, what happens if my Dragonite switches out while its partner Sunkern is still locked into Outrage? Does Sunkern use Outrage again, does it struggle, or does it get to choose another move? And does it get confused?

Actually talonflame gives any flying type priority brave bird lol, so you can substitute mega aero with other things like landorus, dragonite, salamence, skarmory, etc.
What happens to Mega Pinsir's Aerilated Quick Attack?

On an unrelated note, the combination of Ampharos + Manectric was pretty popular in Pikachu Cup on the sim, although probably less popular in the actual tournament, since this relied on the gimmicky Plus/Minus hidden ability combo:
  • Instant +1 SpA boost for both allies
  • Ampharos can use Magnetic Flux for a +1 Def and SpD boost for both allies (even through Protect)
Of course I'm thinking that Ampharos would partner well with a Levitator, which would make him quite bulky. Some possibilities:
  • Azelf: Nasty Plot + the Plus/Minus SpA boost and you're effectively at +4.
  • Lati@s: Stored Power without having to boost yourself.
EDIT: I looked into other immunity matchups and the best I could find was Lightning Rod Seaking + Sap Sipper Azumarill. This just leaves Azumarill with a Poison weakness. Other options include Claydol + Zebstrika or Rhyperior + Azumarill (or alternatively any of a number of Water Absorbers or Storm Drainers). EDIT: Also Heatran + Bronzong (or possibly Carnivine / Cryoganol / Rotom-Frost / Rotom-Mow).

Last edited:
Yep another meta where stab boomburst/espeed a good set would be like
Salamence@Salamencite
Moxie
Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw
Hyper Voice/Return
Fire Blast/Earthquake
Hydro Pump/Dragon Dance

Noivern@Choice Scarf/Dragonite@Weakness Policy
Telephathy/Multiscale
Boomburst/Extreme Speed
Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw
U-turn/Earthquake
Switcheroo/Dragon Dance

Bam stab boomburst/espeed
1) wrong formatting and really hard to read
2) Salamencite is banned
3) You SHOULD be Intimidate Salamence if anything because Moxie is just bad.
4) You get taken out by fast blizzard mons if they exist.

As for you Dragonite lovers I'm excited for this meta for it to shine, just after we get some bans out of the way like Prankster (Prankster Spore, Prankster Perish Trap, etc make this look a little less appealing tbh). Though another idea is something like turning Sleep Clause on so that Prankster Sleep isn't ridiculous.

Another one I thought of just a minute ago was
+
+
(?)

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Worry Seed
- Grass Whistle

Machamp @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Encore
- Tickle
- Dynamic Punch
- Poison Jab

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

Basically centers around Prankster No Guard Sleep+Encore+Dynamic Punch and tries to get Machamp to punch holes in a team, which of course with Prankster No Guard Sleep isn't hard at all. Kangaskhan is in it to hit Aegislash hard with Scrappy Dynamic Punch on switch-in through Machamp, but I just slapped it on because w/e, you could probably use Lopunny since it also gets Prankster Encore but mega slots :///////////////

Technical question here, what happens if my Dragonite switches out while its partner Sunkern is still locked into Outrage? Does Sunkern use Outrage again, does it struggle, or does it get to choose another move? And does it get confused?
Pretty sure it's still gonna be locked in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)