Partial Perish + Rain Peaked at 240something on the ladder

So this is currently my favourite team to use just because of how fun it is to play. While I was making the team I decided that instead of trying to out muscle Goodstuffs and other Weather/Trick Room teams I wanted to try and make a team that made playing in an ideal situation/environment for the opponent impossible. By using Perish Trap combined with Speed control from rain, icy wind, and Thunder Wave ,redirection from Follow Me, and Taunt, the opponent is never in a situation where they can play comfortably. If that makes any sense.
I think the key to success with this team is that it uses Perish Song in a way that I think the creators of the game intended but is rarely seen: forcing switches or trapping when it is optimal. Not forcing Perish Trap.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

The highlight of the team and the first member is substitute Mega Gengar. Mega Gengar is so fast that juggling substitute and protect is an excellent way to stall turns if I need to (Perish Song mostly). I've juggled with not having Protect on this set and it does alright with Will-O-Wisp, but Gengar is always Double targeted as soon as the sub goes up so protect is a must.
Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb for STAB, and a simple 252/252/4 EV spread because you gotta go fast and I'm a scrub.
Fun Fact: Gengar is walled to hell by Bulletproof Chesnaught

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Icy Wind

Besides bringing the rain, Politoed gets a kick out of burning the opponents physical attackers with scald, slowing the down with icy wind, or making them ragequit with Perish Song. The EV spread is a little odd but 252 HP + 156 SpDef EVs make Rotom-Ws Thunderbolt a 3HKO. This team has trouble dealing with Rotom unless Ludicolo is in, so it's one of the foes I like to set up Perish Trap on, meaning Poli usually has to take a hit.
Sitrus Berry was my item choice because my main answer to Ferrothorn and Scizor uses Flamethrower and obviously using Damp Rock for extended Rain wouldn't help. I also find that 5 turns of rain is plenty, if I think I will need more I usually have no trouble keeping Poli healthy to switch in again later.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Assault Vest Ludicolo is the only Ludicolo. Ice beam provides excellent coverage and in the Rain I can use Fake Out faster than Kangaskhan which is HUGE. Getting free turns with Mega Kanga on the field is difficult to do but enormously beneficial if I get the Scald burn with politoed. But I'm getting too much into pairings which I will talk about more below.
EV spread to outspeed base 150's in the Rain, not that Mega Aerodactly and Deoxys love to switch in on it but I like to be thorough. This guy also outspeeds some of the slower scarf users like Mamoswine in the rain.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Taunt

Terrakion was my next choice for 2 reasons: it has excellent typing synergy with Ludicolo and it is a solid answer to both Charizard Y and Mega Kangaskhan. This set used to be Swords Dance with Lum Berry but I found that I could rarely set up, and having Lum Berry with Taunt allowed Terrak to still check Thunder Wave spam from Thundurus, not to mention that it helps with the growing Amoonguss problem.

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Protect

Togekiss is one of those Pokemon that I can never nail down an EV spread that I am 100% satisfied with. Full Defense? I can't eat up Ice Beams. Full Special Defence? I can't eat up Rock Slides. Rounded Out? I can eat up nothing.
At the moment I'm fully defensive to make opposing Jolly Terrakion's Rockslide a 3HKO, but honestly I'll probably have changed it to a fully specially defensive spread and back before you've finished reading.
Safety Goggles to Soak up Spore from Amoonguss which also gives this team problems otherwise. Follow me also helps Gengar Set up a substitute and start KOing things.
Thunder Wave and Airslash because I don't like it when my opponents attack me, and spamming Thunderwave comes in handy for genesect who falls into the annoying 99 base speed tier.

Genesect (Genesect-Douse) @ Douse Drive
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- Techno Blast
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Protect
Genesect-Douse was the last addition to the team as a way to check Ferrothorn and Scizor with flamethrower, and still being a huge threat in the rain. Techno Blast actually doesn't get STAB with the Douse Drive soyou need the rain up for BIG damage with that. Genesect also checks 2 of the biggest threats to Terrakion: Landorus T and Cresselia. Bug Buzz is for STAB and happens to be a clean 2HKO on some offensive cress variants even without a special boost from Download.
Also an excellent switch in to any grass moves that are aimed at Politoed, particularly opposing ludicolo who can't touch Genesect.

1) Gengar + Politoed

Obviously my perish trapping pair. Most people expect Gengar to be the Perish Song user when they see it so they tend to concentrate on it and Politoed sings the song of doom. I generally only bother Perish Songing when the following criteria are met:
1) Both opponents mons are slower than gengar (I can juggle between protect and sub) Poli helps with this with Icy Wind
2) Neither Opponent can OHKO Gengar
3) I have a safe switch from Poli into another team member
I probably use Perish trap 1/3 of the games I play, because as soon as I don't lead these 2 they assume I'm not infact a "Perish Trap team".

2) Politoed + Ludicolo

Another Super obvious core, Rain Sweep. Even though Ludicolo can only single target, using Scald and Icy Wind forces loads of switches that Ludicolo generally has the coverage to deal with. I also really like to lead this against opponents leading Kangaskhan because Ludicolo offers a faster Fake Out, and I can scald into it because they rarely carry protect.

3)Gengar + Terrakion

This pair can generally deal with any Trick Room set up pair. Gengar is immune to Fake Out and can put massive damage if not OHKO almost every setter and if that's not going to work Terrakion can Taunt. Gengar also can set up a Substitute on the rare occasion that the TR setter is vulnerable to Taunt and is not supported by a Fake Out user.

There are pairs that I didn't feel needed their own paragraph like Terrak+Ludi (great typing synergy) and Terrak+Gene (Gene checks big threats to Terrak), but give the team a try yourself!

In no particular order:
Pinoy Pwnage who was the one who told me to make an rmt. This wouldn't have gotten posted if not for you :]
BlankZero who gave me the idea to switch Toge's item to Safety Goggles, which helps the team a lot
youngjake93 for posting about the synergy between Terrakion and Ludicolo in the forum post here.
Mizuhime for posting about Genesect-Douse in the SPL-dump thread which polished off the team
and finally, finally (pun intended) for testing this team with me about a billion times :]

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 100 Def / 156 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Icy Wind

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Taunt

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Protect

Genesect (Genesect-Douse) @ Douse Drive
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- Techno Blast
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Protect

tl;dr fun team is fun and good :] ppl helped

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
and the legacy of bad teams in doubles rmt continues ;]
nah jk. team's cool.
8/10. not 10/10 bc no encore toge
oh, don't forget about toge + gar. for perish trap and all. redirect with toge, sing your song. win

i probably have no idea what i'm talking about, but what do you do vs choice band talonflame / rotom-w with w-o-w if they double protect / you have no fake out?

looks like a cool team, might be interested in dubs in the near future after school ends ;]]

EDIT: also ferro in rain without terrakion (and even so rocky helmet + iron barbs D:)

I like your team because you have the trap strategy but it's not all of your team with trap team strategy. Your team is very unpredictable and it's good. The opponent thinks that you will use the perings song + shadow tag trap but you can start with another team pairing.

You finally posted a Doubles RMT, Kale! :D I love the idea of a semi-perish trap team; your strategy is very unique and unpredictable, catching your opponent off guard with those creative sets.

Your team is pretty solid overall, but like tlyee61 pointed out, you have a noticeable Talonflame weakness. STAB Brave Bird can easily take out your Ludicolo and Terrakion with ease, while STAB Flare Blitz can OHKO your Genesect 100% of the time, even when factoring in the Rain weather. A Talonflame + Fake Out lead can potentially screw you over due to the fact you don't carry Quick Guard, allowing your opponent to flinch one of your Pokémon as Talonflame proceeds to deal significant damage with STAB Brave Bird.

Therefore I recommend Quick Guard > Taunt on Terrakion so that him and his partner can be protected by Fake Out, priority Brave Bird from Talonflame, Mach Punch, and Prankster Thunder Wave; this allows Terrakion's partner to take care of that certain threat while Quick Guard is being utilized. I understand another reason you wish to have Taunt is for the increasing amount of Sleep inducers, but seeing as you already carry a bulky Follow Me Togekiss with Safety Goggles, that will be unnecessary. Trick Room shouldn't be too much of threat even with the lack of Taunt because you can easily lead with Gengar and Ludicolo; Ludicolo can Fake Out the TR setter if it is not a Ghost-type, while Mega-Gengar can inflict serious damage with STAB Shadow Ball. Even a Ghost-type TR setter could easily be taken care of with STAB Shadow Ball; and you also have the option of using Substitute on a Trick Room lead like you said because you can predict TR going up and Mega-Gengar cannot be hit by Fake Out.

As for Togekiss, I recommend an EV spread of 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe with a Calm nature; the defensive EV investment with 248 HP EVs allows Togekiss to survive an Iron Head from LO Bisharp, and the 52 Speed EVs lets him outspeed the standard Rotom-W with minimum speed (speed advantage for spamming Air Slash to get that flinch hax :P). The Calm nature along with the 16 Special Defense EVs invested increases the overall bulk of Togekiss, hitting that Special Defense stat of 297. In conclusion, this EV spread increases the bulk of Togekiss all around, increasing her suvivability for continued Follow Me support.

I really like this team, a solid 9/10. :] Hope I helped and good luck! You better sign up for the next Doubles Seasonal, you nub.

EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm
Nature
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Protect

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Quick Guard

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow

Hey Kyle, cool team. I'm really digging the TechnoSect; it's a beast in Rain, isn't it?

Here are some efficiency changes:

As with most Rain teams, Trick Room is a huge ass to this team. I like that you're at least trying to get some defenses up against it; Taunt from Terrakion is unique, and definitely necessary, and you cover up Thundy weakness well with Lum. I'd say keep it. However, Taunt is barely gonna stop any solid TR player, so I suggest that you lay down some more bulk. Togekiss is what I'm looking at here. To be honest your team has enough Defensive bulk as it is; Toed can soak up physical hits all day and burn things with Scald. The team could use some special bulk, however, so I'm going to suggest a spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef Calm in order to help sponge Psychics and slow special attacks better. Also, lack of recovery is definitely going to be an issue, especially since Toge is going to be taking a lot of hits for things like Ludicolo or Terrakion. Safety Goggles are fun, but your team handles Amoonguss decently (Ludicolo can wall it, Terrakion has Lum + Taunt) so I suggest that you at least try Sitrus Berry on Togekiss again. Sitrus also always lets you survive two 252 LO Talonflame Brave Birds, which is important because offensive Talonbird looks like a huge threat, and Terrakion might not totally be able to swap Taunt for Quick Guard.

Also, how necessary is your EV spread on Politoed, exactly? Rotom-W is handled much better by Ludicolo (and, that's one of the main reasons why you'd run AV Ludi anyway) and Politoed has no business staying in to take damage. I would go with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef Bold, or you could put in a few EVs for SpDef to survive certain attacks, but I don't consider that necessary. Max Def lets you wall the Steel-types that your team needs more help against, especially Scizor and Mega Mawile under TR and Bisharp outside of it (so you can burn them.) It also gives you a bit more defensive security against people that like to play Scarf Lando more recklessly, especially since you're pairing yourself with Gengar a lot.

Lack of spread is eh on Rain but you seem to be able to handle it pretty well so yeah. Other than that, the team looks great, good luck man!

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
KYLE FIX YOUR TEAM HIDE BUTTON. LUM TERRAKION IS NOT SASH TERRAKION IT MADE ME LOSE IN A TURNY I H8 U ;__________________;
jk ilu kyle but really fix this if im tryna scout ur team i need right info

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
KYLE FIX YOUR TEAM HIDE BUTTON. LUM TERRAKION IS NOT SASH TERRAKION IT MADE ME LOSE IN A TURNY I H8 U ;__________________;
jk ilu kyle but really fix this if im tryna scout ur team i need right info
Changing an item on a team if you're ripping it from an RMT is a perfectly acceptable practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)