palworld

I hope you like AI art because this game managed to have the 5th highest concurrent player count on steam last night. It's a massive breakout success and other developers are going to see they can use AI art and still make bank.

the weirdest thing I've seen is "it just shows that game freak needs to evolve and try something new"

my brother in christ legends arceus released, within the next week, two years ago.

I'm disheartened, I guess, for separate reasons to the AI art standing. The game really doesn't appeal to me. I don't like survival/crafting mechanics, am unexcited about open worlds, and think the mon designs are seriously lacking in inorganic components. But, well, it's apparently what a lot of people were looking for, so that's what companies are going to follow. I hate having to feel like GF's refusal to change is the best shot at getting a game I can enjoy. Heck, given the current Pokemon games have already started in this direction, there's a solid reason to believe it's already too late on that front. So if the competition is also going away from what I like to see, what future can I look forward to?

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
the weirdest thing I've seen is "it just shows that game freak needs to evolve and try something new"

my brother in christ legends arceus released, within the next week, two years ago.
tbh i think people are just into it bc pokemon with guns is a funny concept

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
This is funny to me because this proves everyone who posted negatively in the thread is Nintendo shill who's is totally completely fine with the direction Pokemon has been going in since Gen 7. There opinions have been discarded and I will be awaiting an actual thoughtful review of the game.

This is funny to me because this proves everyone who posted negatively in the thread is Nintendo shill who's is totally completely fine with the direction Pokemon has been going in since Gen 7. There opinions have been discarded and I will be awaiting an actual thoughtful review of the game.
here is my thoughtful review:

the game is kinda fun but legends arceus is way better. also supporting AI art cryptobros and plagiarism sucks, don't do that lmfao

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been trying to come up with something to say about this game, but honestly, I just can't. On one hand, I think Pokémon's staying power is one of its strongest points not just as a multimedia franchise, but also as a brand. This staying power is rarely, if ever able to be matched by other games looking to take advantage of fans who are starved for something new from Pokémon. On the other hand, no amount of staying power is going to matter for a gaming industry that's only going to be facing increasing prices and AI controversies more and more over time. While I was doing some research (and by that, I mean looking up what people think of the allegations online), it seems like the common consensus is that the currently hasn't been any evidence presented suggesting generative AI content, and even if there was, the people who are buying and/or playing the game enjoy the gameplay enough to where that takes priority for them over allegations that these fans may not have ever heard of. Because that's the thing- while the allegations make sense... what else is throwing this news around online doing aside from giving Palworld more media recognition? In a weird way, it's almost like the extra attention from the allegations is actually helping this game out more than it's hurting.

So, to recap: accusing something of allegations without presenting evidence will only give it more attention regardless of the truth, but since it's a borderline Pokémon rip-off its player count and sales data are more than likely going to crash at some point anyways. While the same can't be said for older games, newer games are arguably more accessible now than they've ever been, and as a result of that you have games going through routine hype cycles all the time. All I'm saying is, if major, extremely hyped releases cycle out of favor after just months (and that's being generous), than the peak of popularity for this supposedly-AI-created genre mashup from a company that isn't too, too significant is barely going to last more than a week or two by comparison. Give it one month before it goes off of Xbox Game Pass or whatever and this will become even more barren.

For references, IGN drops 8 on it. While normally it is IGN, the commenters actually finds it to be fair. It is still needing some polish and depth, but the gameplay itself is deemed to be very engaging and fun.
The lack of mention that Pal Sphere works only on living mon and not swirly eyes dead fainted ones stunk though, people complained about that.

OTOH, I saw Eurogamer egging on it, and got backlash (especially saying "it's a game that's made to be sold, not to be played" while ignoring other actually AAA titles like Assassin's Creed or well, Pokémon again).

Also yes, posting opinions on Palworld right in Pokémon territory gives an unsurprisingly huge bias, these are worth nothing. I saw places like TVTropes forum and they are much fairer with actual discussion surrounding it. Helps that they have to be "neutral" in writing wiki.

Last edited:
Also yes, posting opinions on Palworld right in Pokémon territory gives an unsurprisingly huge bias, these are worth nothing. I saw places like TVTropes forum and they are much fairer with actual discussion surrounding it. Helps that they have to be "neutral" in writing wiki.
The palworld discussion has actually been pretty nuanced since then to be honest
1706134911104.png

1706134459984.png

1706134439148.png

1706135082812.png

1706135063182.png

I don't know why people still don't understand that this game is not similar to Pokemon in any way outside of the monster catching mechanic. It is a survival/crafting game. I have not played Legends but based on what I've seen of it that is not a fair comparison either, outside of the catching mechanic. I still think this game is ass as far as survival games go but I am so tired of seeing people compare this to Pokemon.

The palworld discussion has actually been pretty nuanced since then to be honest
View attachment 596564
View attachment 596558
View attachment 596557
View attachment 596568
View attachment 596566
The first two posts bother me because:
  1. If Yo-kai Watch taught us anything, it's that a Pokemon "competitor" needs to not be too far intended just for kids to work, and I think Palworld is the adult version of that. Even if Palworld wasn't just for adults, Pokemon has had almost 30+ years to develop the anime, TCG, and other non-mainline game media that Palworld has not. So I can't see why people expect Palworld to be a serious "competitor" to Pokemon.
  2. The second poster seems to be implying that if Palworld was a threat to Pokemon, GF would take away that they need to bring back having all Pokemon in the programming of a single game. Do they realize even generation 1 has more Pokemon in the game than Palworld currently has now? If anything, GF would think the opposite and that players are okay with having fewer options.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
You know, is always funny when people act like Pokémon never had any competition, it does have it, is just not comparable because of the size of the franchise, even if something competes well against it as a videogame, that's just a small part of what Pokémon is, people expect stuff to release and become massive multimedia franchises right away to call it "competition".
If we just look at games, there is a lot going on in recent years when it comes to monster collecting, Digimon Survive, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Temtem, Shin Megami Tensei V, Yokai Watch 4 (even if it is dead in the west now), the just released Dragon Quest Monsters the Dark Prince, and a lot of smaller stuff like Monster Sanctuary, etc. Stuff like Persona and Yu-gi-oh! also have a big focus on collecting monsters, but they are distinct enough to rarely be compared.
Palworld gets a lot of free marketing by its premise being funny and the designs being close enough to Pokémon to provoke discussion, it doesn't even need similar gameplay to be compared to it despite that, if they do things right they could easily get away with its lazy designs for a while, improve the game overtime and keep going strong, but it isn't very likely to be the kind of competition lots of Pokémon fans seem to be waiting for.

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
yall are missing a big benefit: if someone can get/recreate their AI we can see what all our fav mons could look like as palmons (or whatever theyre called). Skitty with a giant gun for a tail? Yes plz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)