move 3: Wave Crash
move 4: Close Combat / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Zero to Hero
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
tera type: Water

[SET COMMENTS]

* Palafin's stats are middling, but after switching out once it will forme change into Palafin-H, which boasts the highest base Attack in the format, making it an effective wall breaker and revenge killer.

* Flip Turn enables Palafin to switch out and Transform into Palafin-H.

* Jet Punch is a powerful priority move that enables Palafin-H to revenge kill.

* Wave Crash is the highest Base Power STAB move Palafin-H has access to, but be wary of the recoil.

* Close Combat is good coverage, hitting Rotom-W for neutral damage and hitting Arboliva and Meowscarada for super effective damage, all of which resist Palafin-H's STAB moves.

* An Adamant nature increases the damage Wave Crash and Jet Punch inflict, making Palafin-H a more effective wall breaker and revenge killer. A Jolly nature enables Palafin-H to outspeed Mimikyu and Hydreigon.

Tera Types

==========

* Water: A Water Tera type boosts Jet Punch and Wave Crash, making Palafin-H a potent late-game cleaner.

* Grass-Type: A Grass Tera type turns all of Palafin-H's weaknesses into resistances, giving it a favorable matchup against Rotom-W, and making it immune to Spore from Breloom.

[Credits]
Written by: [[Blackbeltsam, 11020]]
Quality Checked by: [[DerpySuX, 528485]] and [[Theorymon, 29010]]
Grammar checked by: [[Isaiah, 375662]]

Last edited:

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Alrighty, my first real QC

I would lead off with a note about how palafin absolutely NEEDS to switch out before it’s useful at all, it doesn’t have to be phrased negatively, but something like

* Though initially it may look unassuming, Zero to Hero allows Palafin to change into Palafin-H by switching out, giving it the highest natural attack stat in the format.

jet punch should have a mention in the set comments, it is Palafin’s main attack, and being a new signature move means new players might not know what it does.

Don’t slash in liquidation, the power drop isn’t worth it, a mention is fine, but wave crash’s sheer power makes the recoil more than worth it, especially in a format like BSS, where longevity isn’t super important on something like palafin.

Close combat is not necessary for steels or dark types, as they fold to palafin’s water STAB anyway, close combat is good coverage for things like Meowscarada and Arboliva, who resist Palafin’s water STAB, and can potentially cut its sweep short.

Choice scarf is not necessary, boosted jet punch should take care of faster targets, it’s the main draw of palafin anyway.

Tera water should be listed as the main Tera type, it makes palafin legitimately almost unwallable, and jet punch cleans up super hard. Grass is ok as a mention imo, but the standard is water for a reason.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To add to what Derpy said (they brings up good points imo!):

- For the Jet Punch bullet, I'd avoid describing what the move does, since the dex does that already. Instead, mention that its one of the most powerful priority moves in the game and is a big part of what makes Palafin-H a great revenge killer (in your own words of course!)

- I'd add Rotom-W as one of Close Combat's biggest targets, since its a pretty common attempt at checking Palafin-H.

- Make sure that in most cases, you prefer to Palafin as Palafin-H! Such as " *Wave Crash is the highest Base Power STAB move Palafin has access to, but has recoil." should say Palafin-H instead.

- I'd have a bullet for Adamant vs Jolly. Basically, Adamant makes it more reliable at cleaning teams with Jet Punch, but Jolly lets Palafin-H outspeed Mimikyu and Hydreigon.

- I'd just get rid of the items section and Choice Band mention, since we all know what Choice Band does. This will save time for the reader!

- For the Water Tera bullet in the Tera Types section, I'd talk about how it makes Palafin-H a great late game cleaner, instead of describing what it does.

- For the Grass Tera mention, I'd talk about how it improves Palafin's match up against Rotom-W and Breloom instead of the resists it adds.

Otherwise, for your first analysis, I think you did a good job. Implement this stuff, and you might as well consider this approved from me and derpy! If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask me on Discord!

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Probably not. Seems very gimmicky, choiced sets are really the best use of palafin.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
[SET]
name: This looks like a job for Palafin Perhaps change this to "Revenge Killer"?
move 1: Flip Turn
move 2: Jet Punch
move 3: Wave Crash
move 4: Close Combat / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Zero to Hero
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
tera type: Water

[SET COMMENTS]

*Palafin's stats are middling, but after switching out once it will forme change into Palafin-H, which boasts the highest base Attack in the format, making it an effective wallbreaker and revenge killer.

*Flip Turn enables Palafin to switch out and Transform into Palafin-H.

*Jet Punch is a powerful priority move that enables Palafin-H to revenge kill.

*Wave Crash is the highest Base Power STAB move Palafin-H has access to, but be weary of the recoil.

*Close Combat is good neutral coverage, hitting Rotom-W for neutral damage and hitting Arboliva and Meowscarada for super effective damage, all of whomich resist Palafin-H's STAB moves.

*Ice Punch hits Dragon-types and Grass-Types. (This is kinda just type chart stuff unless specifying dragon/grass is really important)

*An Adamant Nnature increases the damage Wave Crash and Jet Punch inflict, making Palafin-H a more effective wallbreaker and revenge killer. A Jolly Nnature enables Palafin-H to outspeed Mimikyu and Hydreigon.

Tera Types

==========

*Water-Type: A Water-T Tera type Teboosts Jet Punch and Wave Crash, makesing Palafin-H a potent late-game cleaner. game cleaner, firing off double boosted Jet Punch and Wave Crash.

*Grass-Type: A Grass-Type Tera type turns all of Palafin-H's weaknesses into resistances, giving it a favorable matchup against Rotom-W, while alsond making it immune to Spore from Breloom.

[Credits]

- Written by: [[Blackbeltsam, 11020]]
-
Quality Check by: [[DerpySuX, 528485] and [Theorymon, 29010]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Isaiah, 375662]]

GP 1/1
GP Team Done
Isaiah2.gif

DerpySuX

Keep the tag as “copyediting” for now. “Done” implies that the analysis has been uploaded. Theorymon will change it once it’s up. Good job though! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)