Other OU Teambuilding Competition Round 5 [Entries OPEN See Post #294]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree. Own3y's team so far, in my opinion, handles the extreme amount of ground types the best, with the fantastic Deoxys-S Life Orb Set + Ice Beam.

• I was thinking about Freeze Dry as I answered, but regardless, it doesn't OHKO, and most Mamoswine's would rather switch than stay in and risk getting tricked a scarf, burned, or OHKO'd.
• Yes, priority Twave is a beautiful thing. But, I'm not sure it's worth it if you lose out on a counter to Mamoswine.
• And lastly, Keldeo is a champ at countering the mastodon, but it generally requires another teammate to die in order for it to work, which isn't that great.
Good luck in the competition! :D
Well I have been trying out the Scarf Rotom with a lot of success so far! I'll probably end up changing my team in my original post. Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem dude! Good luck!
Thanks! I edited my original post. :)

I have never used the Scarf Rotom-W variant before and I never realized how good it was. :o

I really enjoy this team-building competition. I'm a bit of a competitive scrub but I'd like to think I'm not too bad at team-building.

Thanks! I edited my original post. :)

I have never used the Scarf Rotom-W variant before and I never realized how good it was. :o

I really enjoy this team-building competition. I'm a bit of a competitive scrub but I'd like to think I'm not too bad at team-building.
Yep this teambuilding thread has really helped me learn how to understand the meta get over my stigma of using OU mons. The last team I was using consisted of entei/mega gyarados/raichu/skarmory/tangrowth/chandelure. I still maintain they are awesome and I'm still open to lower used Pokemon, but I've gotten over slapping them all onto one team.

And I have to agree with you there buddy. My first entry his round was absolutely awful. It had lando t, heatran, debut of facade garchomp (my genius mind thought of the possibility of getting burned but not of cmon steel type switch ins) among some other things that have me a gigantic, team wide ground/ice weakness.

I was so stubborn it wasn't till an actual mamoswine tore me a new one. Sacred the whole damn team and started from scratch.

Yep this teambuilding thread has really helped me learn how to understand the meta get over my stigma of using OU mons. The last team I was using consisted of entei/mega gyarados/raichu/skarmory/tangrowth/chandelure. I still maintain they are awesome and I'm still open to lower used Pokemon, but I've gotten over slapping them all onto one team.

And I have to agree with you there buddy. My first entry his round was absolutely awful. It had lando t, heatran, debut of facade garchomp (my genius mind thought of the possibility of getting burned but not of cmon steel type switch ins) among some other things that have me a gigantic, team wide ground/ice weakness.

I was so stubborn it wasn't till an actual mamoswine tore me a new one. Sacred the whole damn team and started from scratch.
Oh I have almost exclusively battled in the OU tier and I've tried basically everything in the OU/BL list on PS at one point or another. They are great but there are ways to make lower tiered Pokemon shine. I've used Banded Entei with great success. Mega Gyarados, Tangrowth, Chandelure, etc are all fantastic Pokemon though and can shiny in OU with the right support/team.

I like your entry for this round a lot. I have tried Hippowdon for the first time recently and it's become one of my favorite utility+defensive mons. I will say that Mamoswine is a great Pokemon and it's dual STABs are fantastic.

Standard.Hyper Offense

This team focuses on either Manaphy or Mawile getting a sweep. What makes this team so effective is that they can set-up on eachother's counters (i.e. Manaphy sets up on Heatran, and M-Mawile sets up on Latios). Changes in importable are bold.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 HP / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Brick Break

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

To start off, I knew the original core of M-Mawile and Garchomp would result in a hyper offense play style. I knew this core had its flaws, but I made this team so that those flaws were mostly gone. For example, the major weakness to mamoswine is alleviated by Deoxys-D setting up hazards, breaking any potential sash, and then Manaphy can OHKO with surf.

Mega Mawile
With mega mawile I wanted to be able to setup and sweep teams. To do this i'm using the SD + 3 attacks set. Mega Mawile can set up on a number of things. For example: Latios, Latias, Bisharp, Chansey, Mandibuzz, Sylveon. The EV spread isn't too complex, I have enough speed with a jolly nature to outspeed Rotom-W who put 8 EVs into spd. This allows me to OHKO it after a SD without being will-o-wisped. Thanks to U-Ralph for suggesting Brick Break over Iron Head, it offers a lot more coverage and defeats Mega Mawile's main counter, Heatran!

Garchomp
I needed a revenge killer, and scarfed Garchomp fits. Scarf Garchomp is really great this gen, it is able to check both charizards, even Charizard-X after a DD. I'm carrying stone edge specifically for Zard-Y. Fire blast helps me nail Ferrothorn and Skarmory, giving not only Garchomp an easier time spamming EQ, but also opens holes for Mawile to sweep.

Manaphy
Manaphy helps check the biggest threats to this core. Surf can OHKO Mamoswine who don't run HP investment, and can do a min damage of 86.7% to those that run 252 HP EVs. Manaphy also help check Excadrill, Heatran, and Landorus-T for example. I'm running psychic over energy ball because Mega Venusaur is a farely large threat to my team without psychic. I have a wacan berry so I can take a hit from Thundurus if I have to.

Deoxys-D
The best hazard setter in the tier definitely is Deoxys-D. Red card allows lead Mamoswine with focus sash to be switched out, forcing them to take hazard damage. Hazard support comes in real handy so I can just spam sucker punch with Mega Mawile and Bisharp. Thunder wave is real handy for fast threats that like to set up, and it's also useful for mawile outspeed certain threats it would otherwise not be able to.

Gengar
Gengar is my spin blocker. i'm using a sub+ 3 attacks set, which comes in handy when you're against sucker punchers. Gengar's levitate ability works real well when I need to switch in on an earthquake from Mamoswine and Landorus-T, then I can focus blast Mamo, and get nice damage off on Lando.

Bisharp
Bisharp is the defog check. It scares Latios, and I can pursuit on the switch, giving manaphy an easier time. Bisharp also has knock off for chansey, which Manaphy appreciates chansey's absence.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rotom-W: 418-493 (137.5 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 178-210 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 368-434 (101.6 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 368-434 (86.7 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 350-414 (96.6 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-204 (44 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery Keep in mind this is fully specially defensive
252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 392-464 (102.6 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 512-603 (120.7 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 204-242 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 484-569 (133.7 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 398-471 (131.7 - 155.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO Using crunch to simulate switching on pursuit

Last edited:
I'm sorry Ajwf but the only ground type that wrecks my team is Hippo, and in my team is Very easily handled with Gengar. Gliscor too, and Landorus-T is not a problem If you predict well having also Deoxys-Speed.

In my opinion, I think you (and most people in here) theorymon too much, and in paper maybe my team can be pretty walled by gorund-type, but you only have to test it and you'll see.

I don't want to seem rude, but i really hate theorymonning, i just put 6 pokes all together, changed some sets and find a very good Hyper Offense team on the team I have just put there, without any big hole and covering mosts styles very good. Obviously i suppose i have some X weakness (with so much pokemon is obvious), but I haven't see it yet, so I'm sorry but from the point of view of the player, ground-types are really not a big problem to the team.

I'm sorry of my english, is not my first language ;x

Last edited:
Hyper Offense

This team focuses on either Manaphy or Mawile getting a sweep. What makes this team so effective is that they can set-up on eachother's counters (i.e. Manaphy sets up on Heatran, and M-Mawile sets up on Latios).

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 HP / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

To start off, I knew the original core of M-Mawile and Garchomp would result in a hyper offense play style. I knew this core had its flaws, but I made this team so that those flaws were mostly gone. For example, the major weakness to mamoswine is alleviated by Deoxys-D setting up hazards, breaking any potential sash, and then Manaphy can OHKO with surf.

Mega Mawile
With mega mawile I wanted to be able to setup and sweep teams. To do this i'm using the SD + 3 attacks set. Mega Mawile can set up on a number of things. For example: Latios, Latias, Bisharp, Chansey, Mandibuzz, Sylveon. The EV spread isn't too complex, I have enough speed to outspeed Rotom-W who put 8 EVs into spd. This allows me to OHKO it after a SD without being will-o-wisped.

Garchomp
I needed a revenge killer, and scarfed Garchomp fits. Scarf Garchomp is really great this gen, it is able to check both charizards, even Charizard-X after a DD. I'm carrying stone edge specifically for Zard-Y. Fire blast helps me nail Ferrothorn and Skarmory, giving not only Garchomp an easier time spamming EQ, but also opens holes for Mawile to sweep.

Manaphy
Manaphy helps check the biggest threats to this core. Surf can OHKO Mamoswine who don't run HP investment, and can do a min damage of 86.7% to those that run 252 HP EVs. Manaphy also help check Excadrill, Heatran, and Landorus-T for example. I'm running psychic over energy ball because Mega Venusaur is a farely large threat to my team without psychic. I have a wacan berry so I can take a hit from Thundurus if I have to.

Deoxys-D
The best hazard setter in the tier definitely is Deoxys-D. Red card allows lead Mamoswine with focus sash to be switched out, forcing them to take hazard damage. Hazard support comes in real handy so I can just spam sucker punch with Mega Mawile and Bisharp. Thunder wave is real handy for fast threats that like to set up, and it's also useful for mawile outspeed certain threats it would otherwise not be able to.

Gengar
Gengar is my spin blocker. i'm using a sub+ 3 attacks set, which comes in handy when you're against sucker punchers. Gengar's levitate ability works real well when I need to switch in on an earthquake from Mamoswine and Landorus-T, then I can focus blast Mamo, and get nice damage off on Lando.

Bisharp
Bisharp is the defog check. It scares Latios, and I can pursuit on the switch, giving manaphy an easier time. Bisharp also has knock off for chansey, which Manaphy appreciates chansey's absence.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rotom-W: 418-493 (137.5 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 178-210 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 368-434 (101.6 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 368-434 (86.7 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 350-414 (96.6 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-204 (44 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery Keep in mind this is fully specially defensive
252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 392-464 (102.6 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 512-603 (120.7 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 204-242 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 484-569 (133.7 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 398-471 (131.7 - 155.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO Using crunch to simulate switching on pursuit
Hi, i have to say, even if that team looks like no original at all (classic hyper offense), it takes good profit from the core proposed; the scarf chomp is just amazingly good, it can OHKO thundurus-I with Stone Edge for instance, while mawile struggle the slower bulky mons. However i think you have to change iron head on mawile. After all, iron head is quite usless in term of coverage and you already have gengar with sludge bomb to hit fairy. I think a brick break/knock off/fire fang would be better. Also the EV's spread is a bit disapointed, you do not outspeed rotom-w at all, mawile reach 192 Spd with that spread whereas rotom have 208 without investisment, anyway, i don't think trying to outspeed rotom-w is a good thing since it may use 44Spd in order to outspeed jolly azumarill. Nevertheless, you outspeed Heatran with that spread (4 Spd Hetran), this means you should carry brick breack in order to kill it (note: you need a layer a spikes and SR to be sure OHKOing H etran specially defensivewith brick break without a SD).

Edit: About manaphy, i'm not sure psychic is a good choice for manaphy, of course you can serverly hit venusaurn that may check Mawile. But after all you can't switch in venusaur after it came on mawile. Also you have gengar to check it bar the knock off version, but it can scoot for knock off thanks to substitute. I think energy ball is a better option since rotom-w may be a bigger problem (as you can't oustpeed it with mawile), energy ball would be a nice option in order to hit especially as you are using waccan berry, that means Rotom-W will probably lost a lot of health while not hiting so hard.

Finally, i wonder if Gengar + substitute is not better with Lefties, but maybe LO allows some OHKO, idk.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Ajwf but the only ground type that wrecks my team is Hippo, and in my team is Very easily handled with Gengar. Gliscor too, and Landorus-T is not a problem If you predict well having also Deoxys-Speed.

In my opinion, I think you (and most people in here) theorymon too much, and in paper maybe my team can be pretty walled by gorund-type, but you only have to test it and you'll see.

I don't want to seem rude, but i really hate theorymonning, i just put 6 pokes all together, changed some sets and find a very good Hyper Offense team on the team I have just put there, without any big hole and covering mosts styles very good. Obviously i suppose i have some X weakness (with so much pokemon is obvious), but I haven't see it yet, so I'm sorry but from the point of view of the player, ground-types are really not a big problem to the team.

I'm sorry of my english, is not my first language ;x
No, I don't think your team is walled by ground, I just preferred Lodart's use of Greninja to your use of deo-s. When you're one of the few people who actually went out of their way to have a strong ice attack, I'm not going to complain about that team. Anyways, I think people know by now that I really don't play any styles outside of stall (And gimmick in some tournaments). On my list of teams, I hold only one bulky offense team so I do end up "theorymonning" but I'm pretty good at figuring out what pokemon would give teams issues.

Both Greninja and Deo-S would come in free vs the ground type, get a free hit and eventually get a second hit for a kill if not vs some priority user. I get that. There are, to my memory, 6 teams with an ice attack not named HP ice... 1 Deo-S, One Greninja, 2 slowbro and 2 manaphy. I forget how many teams have a water attack, but the manaphy/slowbro/greninja [doesn't really count as they already count for ice] probably do, and there was at least one Azumarill... From the pools that can take care of Landorus-t/Landorus-i/Chomp/ZardX/Gliscor the best will probably be the winner. There may be a few other threats, but I think those were the ones presenting the most issues.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

So, i actually posted a full RMT featuring this core last night, but didn't realize that OUTC was currently building around a core that was completely compatible with what i was going to be posting. I asked Subject18 if i could post my team here too and he said it'd be fine as long as i put the description in hide tags and all that, so lgi!

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak / Pursuit

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Knock Off
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

Garchomp: First and foremost, Garchomp serves as this team's Stealth Rock setter, being able to set it up at least once over the course of the match most of the time, but it does much, much more than that. Outside of simply setting up Stealth Rock to make it's teammates jobs easier, it carries a threatening offensive presence of its own with its nerfed but still great dual STABs and strong 130/80/102 offenses, and also provides me with a check to some of the most important important Pokemon in the tier such as Aegislash, Heatran, Charizard Y, and Talonflame, the latter of which thanks to Rocky Helmet, which makes Talonflame practically kill itself w/ recoil simply for touching Garchomp, even if it does a lot of damage in the process. Fire Blast was chosen in the final slot simply to do some good damage to the annoyance known as Skarmory, which despite the minus special attack nature still usually takes more than enough from the move, but if you guys think another move would fit better that's okay too.

Mawile: Mega Mawile is what started the team off, and it's honestly one of my absolute favorite Pokemon to use in the metagame at the moment. It's kind of like a combination of Azumarill and Bisharp, taking good traits from both and combining them to make one damn monster of a Pokemon. Mega Mawile's base attack when taking Huge Power into account is simply incredible. For example, as mentioned in the introduction, Mega Mawile's base attack stat is so high that its Play Rough actually does more damage than Choice Band Azumarill's can muster, which is pretty damn impressive in and of itself. Along with this, its Sucker Punch and Knock Off come damn close to matching Life Orb Bisharp's in raw power. Swords Dance just adds on to this power (although it can obviously sweep even at +0 lol) and makes Mawile a force to be reckoned with, and because of Mawile's good bulk, Intimidate ability pre mega, and great Steel/Fairy typing, it's not very hard to set one up and clean house at all. The evs are standard Mawile fare, maximizing attack and aiming to outspeed min speed base 65s, the test are put into hp for some bulk.

Keldeo: The Hydro Pump nerf, fairy-type, and loss of rain might have hurt Keldeo a bit, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a good Pokemon! In fact, Keldeo is one of the most important Pokemon on this team and i don't think it'd work anywhere nearly as well without it lol. Choice Specs Keldeo is an excellent holepuncher, using its incredibly powerful Hydro Pumps and Secret Swords to heavily pressure the opposing team, especially once things like Lati@s are sufficiently weakened. As for the last two moves, i decided to choose Scald and Hidden Power Flying. Scald provides Keldeo with a more reliable but still powerful water-type STAB move to use when Hydro Pump really can't afford to miss, and it has a pretty nasty burn chance to boot, which can be an annoyance to at least some of the Pokemon aiming to switch in on it. Hidden Power Flying is used here exclusively for Mega Venusaur, who can easily wall keldeo otherwise. Aside from simply spamming attacks and threatening Heatran for Mawile, Keldeo is important simply because of the fact that it can help me out against big threats such as Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar, post mega Mega Gyarados, and Greninja (watch out for Hp Grass/Extrasensory!). Overall, as mentioned a very integeral member of this team, and i have a hard time seeing the team performing nearly as well w/o Keldeo's help.

Thundurus: Thundurus is such a great Pokemon to use on offensive teams it's not even funny, and this team is no exception. Thundurus enters the stage here as not just another powerful and fast offensive threat (although it does that excellently obviously) , but also as sort of an (oh shit!) button Pokemon that can get you out of sticky situations quite often. Thundurus's Electric/Flying typing and great Speed stat lets it serve as a check to one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier: Mega Pinsir, being able to take boosted quick attacks/unboosted returns and easily KOing with a super effective Thunderbolt (the flying resist doesn't hurt against Talonflame either, especially against Adamant varients that can't outspeed and Flare Blitz you). Outside of this, Thundurus's priority Thunder Wave is absolutely invaluable, stopping all kinds of offensive threats such as +1 Mega Charizard X, +1 Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, and Greninja in a pinch, although almost always at the cost on Thundurus's life. Both Leftovers and Life Orb are more than viable on Thundurus, Life Orb gives you some nice extra power, but the recovery from Leftovers gives Thundy a bit more longevity and assures you can keep Thundurus alive long enough to stop what it needs to stop.

Aegislash: Aegislash imo is probably one of the most feared Pokemon in the tier at the moment, and for good reason. Aegislash serves as this team's pivot of sorts , being able to switch into pretty much any non super effective move with ease thanks to its great typing and amazing 60/150/150 defenses, especially from things such as Lati@s, Deoxys-S, and opposing Thundurus. But unlike other Pokemon with similar levels of bulk, THE CRUMBLER doesn't just sit around, the name should speak for itself, once it switches in it can simply blast the opposing teams with nuclear Shadow Balls, crumbling pretty much anything that doesn't resist it with that move alone. As for the other two offensive moves, Sacred Sword is nice to hit both Tyranitar and Bisharp on the switch trying to take advantage on Aegislash, OHKOing both if you have good prediction skills, meanwhile Iron Head still hits Tyranitar and hits things like Clefable more consistently, but leaves you completely vulnerable to the Dark Knight. Shadow Sneak is great simply to pick things off with priority, and it's also a great weapon against lead deoxys (as long as they don't have red card) in conjunction with Shadow Ball, with the ball+sneak combo being able to limit both of them to just Stealth Rock most of the time. However, Pursuit is a great alternative, trapping things such as Lati@s, which of course makes Keldeo that much more threatening.

Deoxys-S: Offensive Deoxys-Speed rounds off this version of the team, and its probably one of the best non Talonflame revenge killers in the entire metagame. Deoxys-S is so damn fast that it doesn't even need a Choice Scarf or anything to do its job, instead outspeeding pretty much anything in the metagame easily....including relatively fast Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp. This amazing Speed, good coverage, and ability to switch moves gives Deoxys-S the ability to revenge kill a variety of threats, and also the ability to clean up teams once things like priority are removed. Hidden Power Fire was used during the Genesect metagame to get the jump on it, but now that it's banned on Pokemon showdown some alternatives are viable too, including Knock Off to do some decent damage to Aegislash on the predicted switch while removing its item.

Hi, i have to say, even if that team looks like no original at all (classic hyper offense), it takes good profit from the core proposed; the scarf chomp is just amazingly good, it can OHKO thundurus-I with Stone Edge for instance, while mawile struggle the slower bulky mons. However i think you have to change iron head on mawile. After all, iron head is quite usless in term of coverage and you already have gengar with sludge bomb to hit fairy. I think a brick break/knock off/fire fang would be better. Also the EV's spread is a bit disapointed, you do not outspeed rotom-w at all, mawile reach 192 Spd with that spread whereas rotom have 208 without investisment, anyway, i don't think trying to outspeed rotom-w is a good thing since it may use 44Spd in order to outspeed jolly azumarill. Nevertheless, you outspeed Heatran with that spread (4 Spd Hetran), this means you should carry brick breack in order to kill it (note: you need a layer a spikes and SR to be sure OHKOing H etran specially defensivewith brick break without a SD).

Edit: About manaphy, i'm not sure psychic is a good choice for manaphy, of course you can serverly hit venusaurn that may check Mawile. But after all you can't switch in venusaur after it came on mawile. Also you have gengar to check it bar the knock off version, but it can scoot for knock off thanks to substitute. I think energy ball is a better option since rotom-w may be a bigger problem (as you can't oustpeed it with mawile), energy ball would be a nice option in order to hit especially as you are using waccan berry, that means Rotom-W will probably lost a lot of health while not hiting so hard.

Finally, i wonder if Gengar + substitute is not better with Lefties, but maybe LO allows some OHKO, idk.
Maybe I should say that Mawile has a jolly nature in the op, but with jolly nature and 224 spd EVs I can outspeed rotom-w who put 8 EVs into spd, which I feel is more common than 44 spd EV Rotoms. Jolly nature + 224 spd EVs puts Mawile at 211 spd. I got to say, I really like the idea of running brick break. Even if Mawile dies to Heatran, I can just set up with Manaphy. Most Heatrans will roar Mawile though, fearing the sucker punch. But if I change iron head to brick break and Manaphy's psychic to energy ball I think I will have even more problems with Venusaur. For this reason, i'm going to test both, and update the OP when I do so. Life orb is a must on gengar. even though life orb + substitute doesn't sound that good, gengar forces so many switches that substitute is just so good. Plus, I just want to get as much damage off as possible, seeing as this is hyper offense, life orb makes Gengar very hard to switch into.
Mamoswine
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 394-464 (92.9 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
I'd rather guarantee an OHKO on this shady move rather than a chance to OHKO and miss.

Heatran
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 234-278 (60.6 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 180-214 (46.6 - 55.4%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not even Heatran can switch in, as it is a guaranteed 2HKO.

Tyranitar and Tyranitar-Mega
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 452-536 (111.8 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 348-412 (86.1 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (96.5 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 300-356 (74.2 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Some of these calcs are negligible considering I have hazards up most of the time, but this still shows how Gengar is tough as hell to switch into.

Maybe I should say that Mawile has a jolly nature in the op, but with jolly nature and 224 spd EVs I can outspeed rotom-w who put 8 EVs into spd, which I feel is more common than 44 spd EV Rotoms. Jolly nature + 224 spd EVs puts Mawile at 211 spd. I got to say, I really like the idea of running brick break. Even if Mawile dies to Heatran, I can just set up with Manaphy. Most Heatrans will roar Mawile though, fearing the sucker punch. But if I change iron head to brick break and Manaphy's psychic to energy ball I think I will have even more problems with Venusaur. For this reason, i'm going to test both, and update the OP when I do so. Life orb is a must on gengar. even though life orb + substitute doesn't sound that good, gengar forces so many switches that substitute is just so good. Plus, I just want to get as much damage off as possible, seeing as this is hyper offense, life orb makes Gengar very hard to switch into.
Mamoswine
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 394-464 (92.9 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
I'd rather guarantee an OHKO on this shady move rather than a chance to OHKO and miss.

Heatran
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 234-278 (60.6 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 180-214 (46.6 - 55.4%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not even Heatran can switch in, as it is a guaranteed 2HKO.

Tyranitar and Tyranitar-Mega
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 452-536 (111.8 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 348-412 (86.1 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (96.5 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 300-356 (74.2 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Some of these calcs are negligible considering I have hazards up most of the time, but this still shows how Gengar is tough as hell to switch into.
Oh sorry about mawile, i should really learn to read the full importable before posting a reply. Also as i often use rotom-W in my teams, i always use the 44 evs Spread, but if you trust there are few, i believe you.
About the Gengar calc, i see how the boost damage may be usefull, but if you run lefties and take in count the SR and spikes (1 layer) damage, you still have your OHKO/2HKO; with deoxys-D in your team, a defiant, and a ghost type, i think you will always have entry hazard on the side, and that may be a good opportunity for gengar to leave its handicaping LO.
For the venusaur problem, i agree you should maybe leave only one check, and in my mind keeping psychic and changing iron head sould the best choice.

Vegan Zombie, have you considered running Pain Split over Focus Blast or Sludge Wave on Gengar? Not only does it give Gengar reliable recivery, it also benefits from Substitute and LO lowering down Gengar's health, allowing for more recovery for Gengar and more health drained from the opponent. Very useful against stuff like Blissey.

On Mawile, have you tried SubPunch Mawile? My personal favorite. SubPunch allows Mawile to beat Heatran and dent Skarmory and Scizor without resorting to Brick Break. This also allows you to forgo the speed EVs as Substitute blocks those WoWs.

Of course, it's your choice if you choose to use my suggestions or not lol :P

Vegan Zombie, have you considered running Pain Split over Focus Blast or Sludge Wave on Gengar? Not only does it give Gengar reliable recivery, it also benefits from Substitute and LO lowering down Gengar's health, allowing for more recovery for Gengar and more health drained from the opponent. Very useful against stuff like Blissey.

On Mawile, have you tried SubPunch Mawile? My personal favorite. SubPunch allows Mawile to beat Heatran and dent Skarmory and Scizor without resorting to Brick Break. This also allows you to forgo the speed EVs as Substitute blocks those WoWs.

Of course, it's your choice if you choose to use my suggestions or not lol :P
Nice ideas, but focus blast is needed to remove certain threats to this core. For example, mamoswine is OHKO'd, excadrill brought down to revengable HP, and ferrothorn is hurt pretty badly. Even though sludge wave has 5 extra base power, I don't know if it changes any 2HKOs to OHKOs.

Subpunch Mawile is definately fun, but I want mawile to be a sweeper with swords dance. I find the subpunch set slows down the game, giving the opponent a chance to defog/ setup/ giving them free turns. It's a good set, just not for this team, as this is a hyper offense team and the goal is to put as much pressure on the opponent as possible.

Thanks for the feedback though! I really enjoy reading replies!

My team:

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Garchomp (M) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Foul Play
- Shadow Ball

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Discharge
- Signal Beam

Mega Mawile:
A standard set with a twist. Play Rough and Iron Head are the standard STABs, and they have incredible power and good coverage. Attack is maximized to capitalize on this. Sucker Punch is the lone source of priority and helps Mega Mawile overcome its slow nature, and allows it to pick off frail sweepers before they can do a thing. Rather than Swords Dance or some other "common" move, I run Icy Wind in the last slot to slow down switch-ins to Mega-Mawile. Oftentimes Mega-Mawile can outspeed the slowed opponent next turn and kill it with a different move. Depending on the switch-in, Mawile may at times be helping its team (i.e. Scarf Thundurus-T switches in on a predicted Sucker Punch, and then Garchomp can come in, outspeed, and KO). EVs are standard, though I could consider bumping up speed to hit a certain benchmark. Ice Punch to destroy Garchomp, Landorus (I/T), Gliscor, and Thundurus (I/T) on the switch-in.

Garchomp: This is another standard set with a twist. SubSalac forgoes the safety of a Substitute for a key coverage move: Aqua Tail. While uncommon, it allows Garchomp to run through Gliscor and Landorus (both variants) when boosted. Outrage and Earthquake are the STABs, nothing special there. If Garchomp gets to +2 Attack and +1 Speed, it's usually GG (bar the few Scarfers above 102 speed and most priority users).

The revenge-killer:
Alakazam is a revenge-killer that ignores hazards thanks to Magic Guard. While Psychic and Shadow Ball are standard, this team has no problem with Tyranitar, so I forgo Focus Blast for Energy Ball to hit Rotom-W, Blastoise, Politoed, Hippowodon, Gastro, etc. The real twist is Foul Play, which allows Alakazam to usually beat Aegislash 1v1. When up against Alakazam, Aegislash will usually use Shadow Sneak and bring Alakazam to its Focus Sash. But now, Alakazam is using Aegislash-B's base 150 attack to calculate the Foul Play damage, and it is weak to Foul Play, so that is pretty much a straight KO. Other physical sweepers face the same fate, but Aegislash is the most prominent. EVs are standard since Alakazam is an all-out attacker.

The defensive core:
Hippowodon and Mandibuzz provide me excellent support as well as a means of residual damage (5/6 Pokemon on the team are immune to Sandstorm). Between them, they can set up and remove hazards, phaze, grab momentum, and remove items. Furthermore, both Pokemon have reliable recovery and only share one common weakness.

Tank:
Rotom-W is a supporter, hard hitter, and Ice-halter all in one. Rather than a standard set, I am running a new AV set to capitalize its Ice resistance and good special bulk. Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are standard (and now there's a Volt-Turn core), but Discharge is used over Thunderbolt for the high paralysis rate to support Mega-Mawile (it also allowed me to beat a MegaZardX once). Since I'm stuck with attacking moves, Signal Beam was chosen to an extent as filler, but it hits most of the Psychic and Dark-types fairly hard. I am tempted to change this to HP Fire, however.

Last edited:
My team:

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Icy Wind

Garchomp (M) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Foul Play
- Shadow Ball

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Discharge
- Signal Beam

Mega Mawile:
A standard set with a twist. Play Rough and Iron Head are the standard STABs, and they have incredible power and good coverage. Attack is maximized to capitalize on this. Sucker Punch is the lone source of priority and helps Mega Mawile overcome its slow nature, and allows it to pick off frail sweepers before they can do a thing. Rather than Swords Dance or some other "common" move, I run Icy Wind in the last slot to slow down switch-ins to Mega-Mawile. Oftentimes Mega-Mawile can outspeed the slowed opponent next turn and kill it with a different move. Depending on the switch-in, Mawile may at times be helping its team (i.e. Scarf Thundurus-T switches in on a predicted Sucker Punch, and then Garchomp can come in, outspeed, and KO). EVs are standard, though I could consider bumping up speed to hit a certain benchmark.

Garchomp: This is another standard set with a twist. SubSalac forgoes the safety of a Substitute for a key coverage move: Aqua Tail. While uncommon, it allows Garchomp to run through Gliscor and Landorus (both variants) when boosted. Outrage and Earthquake are the STABs, nothing special there. If Garchomp gets to +2 Attack and +1 Speed, it's usually GG (bar the few Scarfers above 102 speed and most priority users).

The revenge-killer:
Alakazam is a revenge-killer that ignores hazards thanks to Magic Guard. While Psychic and Shadow Ball are standard, this team has no problem with Tyranitar, so I forgo Focus Blast for Energy Ball to hit Rotom-W, Blastoise, Politoed, Hippowodon, Gastro, etc. The real twist is Foul Play, which allows Alakazam to usually beat Aegislash 1v1. When up against Alakazam, Aegislash will usually use Shadow Sneak and bring Alakazam to its Focus Sash. But now, Alakazam is using Aegislash-B's base 150 attack to calculate the Foul Play damage, and it is weak to Foul Play, so that is pretty much a straight KO. Other physical sweepers face the same fate, but Aegislash is the most prominent. EVs are standard since Alakazam is an all-out attacker.

The defensive core:
Hippowodon and Mandibuzz provide me excellent support as well as a means of residual damage (5/6 Pokemon on the team are immune to Sandstorm). Between them, they can set up and remove hazards, phaze, grab momentum, and remove items. Furthermore, both Pokemon have reliable recovery and only share one common weakness.

Tank:
Rotom-W is a supporter, hard hitter, and Ice-halter all in one. Rather than a standard set, I am running a new AV set to capitalize its Ice resistance and good special bulk. Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are standard (and now there's a Volt-Turn core), but Discharge is used over Thunderbolt for the high paralysis rate to support Mega-Mawile (it also allowed me to beat a MegaZardX once). Since I'm stuck with attacking moves, Signal Beam was chosen to an extent as filler, but it hits most of the Psychic and Dark-types fairly hard. I am tempted to change this to HP Fire, however.
About Mawile set, i'm interesting to see what you can outspeed after a speed drop with your ev's spread. I think all pokemon who put some ev's in speed doesn't care at all the speed drop against mawile. Then i think you must change the EV's for a speeder spreads. Also i'm annoying by the fact icy wind is used when your opponent switch, this means the turn when you are supposed to use SD. I'm not sure it is a good choice, maybe if you show some threats it can check like that, i will agree.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Nice ideas, but focus blast is needed to remove certain threats to this core. For example, mamoswine is OHKO'd, excadrill brought down to revengable HP, and ferrothorn is hurt pretty badly. Even though sludge wave has 5 extra base power, I don't know if it changes any 2HKOs to OHKOs.

Subpunch Mawile is definately fun, but I want mawile to be a sweeper with swords dance. I find the subpunch set slows down the game, giving the opponent a chance to defog/ setup/ giving them free turns. It's a good set, just not for this team, as this is a hyper offense team and the goal is to put as much pressure on the opponent as possible.

Thanks for the feedback though! I really enjoy reading replies!
Why not directly Ice Punch? I think that Garchomp, Thundurus and the same landorus-t and gliscor are all ohked...

Alright everyone, deadline is today, and the nominations are now closed! You may now vote for whichever team you feel is the best. DO NOT vote for yourself! Another great round with some really good teams. May the best team win! You have 3 days to vote, the deadline is Saturday, March 29.

If you click on the participant's username, it will link you to their entry post. Make sure to read through each entry before voting.

Users: Hot N Cold, U-Ralph, Halcyon and myself will have their voted doubled.

1. MikeDawg
2. U-Ralph
3. SnowCristal!
4. Egyptian
5. Dr Ciel
6. Ajwf
7. Colossus
8. Acestriker19
9. Own3y
10. LoDart210
11. MasterLemon
12. WindGrace
13. IAmGingy
14. AGuyYouDontKnow
15. Vegan Zombie
16. Molk
17. Explorer

Good luck to all of those who submitted a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)