OU Stats (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can't thank you enough Gary2346 for that. It's annoying seeing the exact same thing from people each month about "Oh, these Pokemon such, they must drop to UU" or vice versa.

Regarding Metagross, I think it still has its perks. It may face competition from other Pokemon and also has its flaws in this metagame, but I think it has its place. Metagross has the nice typing and bulk to set up Stealth Rock handily, and can come in on Dragons after clicking Outrage/Draco Meteor. That 135 Attack also means it hits like a damn truck, and Meteor Mash/EQ/etc can hit its opponents pretty hard if you're looking for the power. Agiligross is also still pretty decent if you're looking into that, just be wary of Ferrothorn. Its got the typing to grab a boost pretty easily, and its coverage, although rather lacking, is still good enough for Metagross to suffice. Also, CB and Mixed Metagross are possibilities for a complete offensive approach, and Metagross can still be alright. I agree Metagross isn't that great in this metagame, but I wouldn't quickly say that it should drop to UU. It would've been cool for UUers if it did, but Metagross still has a couple of valuable traits that keep it used.

With that aside, I'd like to bring up this:

| 50 | Reuniclus | 3.82256% | 63171 | 3.511% | 48723 | 3.372% |

I never really get why this is so low in the stats tbh, I think Reuniclus is pretty fucking good in this metagame. The OTR set is still awesome and can turn the tide with Reuniclus outpacing everything bar Ferrothorn under TR, and its incredible coverage and power allowing it to sweep teams quite handily. You don't really need much to pull off that sweep, other than maybe some hazard support, and Reuniclus is golden to pull off that sweep. It also helps that nobody really uses Blissey anymore, so Reuniclus can go a bit more smoothly in regards to its sweeping potential. Magic Guard is also fucking amazing so that Reuniclus isn't getting worn down by repeated hazards damage or Toxic, and it can effectively run LO without the risk of repeatedly getting worn down. It's really good, and yeah it's not as great as it was in BW1 but it's still pretty damn good imo, I think it should see more usage.

One mon I'm surprised sees much less usage is Azelf. For 125/125/115 attacking stats, 1.5% usage is quite bad, especially considering it has a really good movepool and a great ability(levitate) that allows it to come in on EQ and sweep.

• | 46 | Metagross | 4.941% |
    • Stop Saying it's bad, it's not
      • Excellent Typing
      • Powerful Choice Band set
        • It's not outclassed by Scizor
        • Stealth Rock
        • etc.
        • Stop It
        • It has Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and also has Pursuit
        • Scizor wants these moves^
        • Scizor's Bullet Punch has similar power to Metagross's Bullet Punch, and has more bulk
          • 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 118-139 (31.55 - 37.16%) -- 86.67% chance to 3HKO
          • 252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 81-96 (21.65 - 25.66%) -- possible 4HKO

• Excellent Typing
        • Stealth Rock
        • etc.
        • Stop It
        • Scizor's Bullet Punch has similar power to Metagross's Bullet Punch, and has more bulk
          • 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 118-139 (31.55 - 37.16%) -- 86.67% chance to 3HKO
          • 252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 81-96 (21.65 - 25.66%) -- possible 4HKO
I'm pretty neutral towards Metagross, because I've never used it (I'm a HUGE fan of Escavalier though :x ).
But I really don't think you should say Metagross' Bullet Punch is anywhere near the power of Scizor's..
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor (+Atk) Bullet Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Latios: 64,78% - 76,08%
252 Atk Choice Band Metagross (+Atk) Bullet Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Latios: 44,85% - 52,82%
Pretty huge difference if you ask me

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
      • Excellent Typing
        • Stealth Rock
        • etc.
        • Stop It
Metagross isn't bad, but it isn't good either. It just seems like there's always something out there that outclasses all of Metagross' sets. Landorus-T, Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn are better users of Stealth Rock, while the latter three can also setup Spikes. Sweeping wise, Landorus is a MUCH better Agility sweeper, with more immediate power and better coverage. Scizor honestly doesn't give a fuck that it doesn't get Meteor Mash, because Bullet Punch is only slightly weaker and packs priority. Even if Scizor could learn Meteor Mash, I doubt it would ever use it on its Banded sets anyway. Superpower has similar coverage to EQ, even though Metagross has Ice Punch, everything that is KOed by Ice Punch, can ironically KO Metagross as well. Scizor's bulk is more than enough to get the job done in this metagame, and it has a better defensive typing anyway, being weak to only one type, while Metagross is weak to two, which sucks because Ground-type attacks are extremely common. Overall, Metagross is completely outclassed by Scizor in the Banded department, and should only be used if you really crave Ice Punch and don't mind losing priority, U-turn, and more resistances. Seriously though, why would you ever use its banded sets? Agiligross I kind of understand, but Banded Gross? Nah. There are better Pokemon out there, and Metagross is a bit too niche to be considered good in this metagame. It's by no means a bad Pokemon, but there's little reason to use it.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The only reason I'd see Metagross used effectively is it if were to run a Stealth Rock / Pursuit set, which I believe no other steel type can do (don't quote me on that). That's about it. Like Gary said it's outclassed in basically every other role, and with the nerf to Explosion in gen 5, and with team preview there are no longer "leads", Metagross just isn't that good any more.

The only reason I'd see Metagross used effectively is it if were to run a Stealth Rock / Pursuit set, which I believe no other steel type can do (don't quote me on that). That's about it. Like Gary said it's outclassed in basically every other role, and with the nerf to Explosion in gen 5, and with team preview there are no longer "leads", Metagross just isn't that good any more.

Bisharp gets it, + STAB on pursuit in exchange for worse bulk

Bit new here, and it's been a while since I've actually posted anything, but I'll give my 2 cents. Not sure if this is how I should write, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm quite interested in the low usage both Gyarados and Lucario have, particularly as sweepers. Maybe it could be because the metagame has evolved into something much faster and harder hitting that set-up sweepers sort of lost value, but otherwise its interesting how these 2 fell from grace since their dominating performances during the DPPt era. I mean, ever since then you still see Scizor in the top spot, as well as Heatran, Tar, Rachi, Starmie, and Gengar up there as well. I guess Gyara and Luc just fell out of favor. Even now though I still see some potential in them.

Gyarados still fulfills his role exceptionally well even now, and it's to set-up on the plethora of common attackers. His bulk is still over average, utilizing a bulkier set in order to nab multiple boosts (+1 just doesn't seem to cut it nowadays, probably explains the fall). He does have some decent match-ups when switching in on many attackers, and with Intimidate he probably has the easiest ways to grant a free turn to set-up (too predictable though, always a bummer). Looking at the more common pokes though it could be easy to see where Gyara could fit to be somewhat of a anti-meta sweeper. He can switch in and tank/force out Scizor, Keldeo, Tran, slow variants of Rachi, Sheer Force Landy, and even tanking some other SE physical hits since he has Intimidate. His damage maybe below par, and he may need some good team reliance to nab multiple boosts, but his bulk is still there and if anything he can get at least a +1 most of the time.

For Lucario, I sort of see the reasoning why he fell. Teams got more faster, hit much harder, and every poke has something to hit at least neutral against him. He's also a bit reliant on multiple hazards on the field at a time. But when he could nab a SD though, he punches holes hard, http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-16039292, very hard (not a really competitive game, but I'll admit it was pretty funny). At +2 with LO, he hits nearly the entire tier for at least 70% damage, and he's always been able to do this. With good team synergy he should be able to reach those sweet KOs.

Maybe it's because these pokes are reliant on their teammates that they're picked less often. Teams would be made revolved around Gyara/Luc to cover their weaknesses and accentuate their strengths. As such they are picked less because they aren't as good "universally". Still, these pokes are definitely big threats to any team even though their pick% doesn't really say so.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
| 43 | Toxicroak |

Toxicroak is a Pokemon that I think deserves a LOT more usage then it gets now. With rain being such a prominent play style in today's metagame, it makes me wonder why Toxicroak is always given the shaft compared to other abusers such as Gyarados and even Feraligatr. With the insane amount of Water and Fighting-types in the tier, Toxicroak finds it extremely easy to come in and setup on these common types. Both its Swords Dance and Bulk Up sets are incredibly dangerous with the right support, and it has a very unique dual typing which gives it the ability to resist a lot of attacks, such as Stone Edge, Close Combat, and Bullet Seed. Recently, I've been using the SD set, and I must say, I've been surprised at how absolutely terrifying this thing is. The Psychic-types like Latios and Latias that would normally try to check Toxicroak, now find themselves being KOed by Sucker Punch. Even Landorus-T and Gliscor can't take an Ice Punch, and Salamence is even OHKOed by Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock. Cross Chop is incredibly powerful at +2, capable of KOing even 252 HP Jirachi, which is quite a feat indeed, seeing how even super effective hits sometimes fail to KO Jirachi. It's just such a good rain sweeper right now, and I feel that it doesn't get enough usage.

| 43 | Toxicroak |

Cross Chop is incredibly powerful at +2, capable of KOing even 252 HP Jirachi, which is quite a feat indeed, seeing how even super effective hits sometimes fail to KO Jirachi. It's just such a good rain sweeper right now, and I feel that it doesn't get enough usage.
Yes, I agree. Toxicorak is so deadly in this metagame, since it finds an ample amount of times to set-up, thanks to its unique typing. Note that Drain Punch + Swords Dance was only illegal in BW1, so there is no reason to use Cross Chop over Drain Punch other than the immediate power, which Drain Punch and Sucker Punch accomplish when paired together.

sand..........................17.90181% rain..........................17.64915%

Now, this is interseting. Last month, sand was a little below rain,now that has changed, since the definition of anti-weather support is starting to progress through Hail teams, which I'm seeing more on the ladder.

| Terrakion | -2.56604% |

Terrakion takes a minus 2.5% drop in usage?!

| 106 | Sharpedo | 0.869% |

Crap usage. This thing tears apart faster Offensive teams easily with its unique moves and coverage. It also has positive match-ups against most of the metagame like Celebi and Latios.

| 123 | Victreebel | 0.38837% | 9859 | 0.548% | 7286 | 0.504% |

When I hear that Victreebel is outclassed by Venusaur, I oblige. This thing is not outclassed by Venasaur. It has superior Mixed attacking stats, Weather Ball, which means it can forgo a different Hidden Power and unlike Venasaur, it is far more powerful than it without a boost making Latias and stupid Heatran checks dead weight. After Power Whip, Weather Ball, and Chlorophyll were legal together, I though it would get more usage, but it didn't. Sure its outpaced by Latios and is frailer, but it resists Mach which is nice and Venasaur needs a Growth boost to do some serious damage because its STAB is underwhelming.

| 111 | Kyurem | 0.79776% | 13071 | 0.726% | 9703 | 0.671% |

You know what, just try out SubRoost, please...

| 76 | Staraptor | 1.550% |

This is just ridiculous. This thing may be frail, SR weak, and recoil dependant, but it can sweep teams easily with maybe SR and a layer of spikes or two. Brave Bird is such an excellent STAB in this metagame do to the lack of resists, and it has Double Edge to deal with Electric-types and Close Combat which many people forget. Try this thing!

| 52 | Weavile | 2.812% |

This thing may be OU soon, same with Tornadus.

Gary

Yes, I agree. Toxicorak is so deadly in this metagame, since it finds an ample amount of times to set-up, thanks to its unique typing. Note that Drain Punch + Swords Dance was only illegal in BW1, so there is no reason to use Cross Chop over Drain Punch other than the immediate power, which Drain Punch and Sucker Punch accomplish when paired together.
Well Cross Chop does have the advantage of KOing Max HP Jirachi at +2, which can actually make or break Toxicroak, because Jirachi can paralyze next turn, making Croak much easier to revenge kill with something like Landorus-T or Gliscor. Drain Punch is a much better move to have all around, but Cross Chop does indeed have its advantages.

{1850 Stats}
| 2 | Tyranitar | 20.57968% | 231780 | 12.881% | 199086 | 13.777% |
| 35 | Hippowdon | 5.85381% | 65196 | 3.623% | 58782 | 4.068% |
It's definitely interesting to note how Sand-heavy the higher players are. I've been seeing a lot of sand going on, namely the standard TyLandEo combo with some filler pokes. I've been using a similar build and have been having a great round of success, and find sand to be the most reliable and consistent weather in this metagame, due to just how much damage comes about from hazards and sandstorm.

{Regular stats}
It surprises me just how low these guys are.:
|30 | Mamoswine | 7.65526% | 112871 | 6.273% | 89900 | 6.221% |
Mamoswine is so great at dragon killing, and also has a great matchup against heatran, thundurus-t, and even the landorus's. Almost shameful how low it is when you look at the top 10.
| 31 | Gyarados | 7.43557% | 131639 | 7.316% | 104636 | 7.241% |
This is a surprise, especially considering how hard this thing shits on the common Tyranitar+Landorus+Keldeo core. (Tylandeo)
| 37 | Latias | 6.35002% | 92538 | 5.143% | 71029 | 4.915% |
Painfully underrated, compared to latios. I'd even go as far to say that it's even better than it's blue bomber brother.
| 43 | Toxicroak | 5.41954% | 92611 | 5.147% | 71194 | 4.927% |
This thing is great under rain, surprising how low it is, considering how common rain teams are.
| 45 | Kyurem-Black | 5.26810% | 85450 | 4.749% | 65205 | 4.512% |
How the mighty have fallen; this thing went from Uber to bottom OU in a relatively short range of time. It definitely deserves more usage, as CB tears holes, once you've taken down the counters, and scarf is pretty nice for immediate damage. A shame about that ice typing, though.

| 33 | Jolteon | 7.33054% | 138025 | 7.670% | 110375 | 7.638% |
| 35 | Thundurus-Therian | 6.74858% | 100716 | 5.597% | 79368 | 5.492% |
Why on earth is Jolteon used more than Thundurus? The agility set literally wins games, while jolteon just volt switches.

| 46 | Metagross | 5.06803% | 110578 | 6.145% | 89610 | 6.201% |
I hope this thing drops, honestly. It's really bad in this metagame where so many bulky waters are running around, every physical attacker runs earthquake, and it's totally outclassed by Jirachi as a stealth rocker, Scizor as a bulky band, Landorus-I as a rock polisher, and gets walled by ferrothorn. I just DON'T see a place for you, metagross. You'd be great in UU, as a nice alternative to Bronzong, who also outclasses you in OU in several areas.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
| 46 | Metagross | 5.06803% | 110578 | 6.145% | 89610 | 6.201% |
I hope this thing drops, honestly. It's really bad in this metagame where so many bulky waters are running around, every physical attacker runs earthquake, and it's totally outclassed by Jirachi as a stealth rocker, Scizor as a bulky band, Landorus-I as a rock polisher, and gets walled by ferrothorn. I just DON'T see a place for you, metagross. You'd be great in UU, as a nice alternative to Bronzong, who also outclasses you in OU in several areas.

Well at this point, according to Antar, the recent tier shift is most likely the final tier shift. This means that Metagross is here in OU to stay. Also,

I never really get why this is so low in the stats tbh, I think Reuniclus is pretty fucking good in this metagame. The OTR set is still awesome and can turn the tide with Reuniclus outpacing everything bar Ferrothorn under TR, and its incredible coverage and power allowing it to sweep teams quite handily. You don't really need much to pull off that sweep, other than maybe some hazard support, and Reuniclus is golden to pull off that sweep. It also helps that nobody really uses Blissey anymore, so Reuniclus can go a bit more smoothly in regards to its sweeping potential. Magic Guard is also fucking amazing so that Reuniclus isn't getting worn down by repeated hazards damage or Toxic, and it can effectively run LO without the risk of repeatedly getting worn down. It's really good, and yeah it's not as great as it was in BW1 but it's still pretty damn good imo, I think it should see more usage.
Reuniclus should seriously be used more imo.

My list of pokemon that are terribly underused, I might add explanations later, but most of them are rather obvious.

| 40 | Lucario | 5.73609% | 114794 | 6.379% | 88816 | 6.146% |
| 45 | Kyurem-Black | 5.26810% | 85450 | 4.749% | 65205 | 4.512% |
| 52 | Weavile | 2.83340% | 55448 | 3.081% | 43505 | 3.011% |
| 58 | Abomasnow | 2.22818% | 38203 | 2.123% | 34590 | 2.394% |
| 64 | Mew | 1.90858% | 37448 | 2.081% | 31583 | 2.186% |
| 74 | Zapdos | 1.57430% | 28960 | 1.609% | 23602 | 1.633% |
| 76 | Stoutland | 1.52345% | 20317 | 1.129% | 15000 | 1.038% |
| 91 | Gothitelle | 1.17286% | 17931 | 0.996% | 14415 | 0.998% |
| 95 | Amoonguss | 1.06580% | 15945 | 0.886% | 13199 | 0.913% |
| 96 | Roserade | 1.06496% | 23095 | 1.283% | 18565 | 1.285% |
| 104 | Raikou | 0.95018% | 16965 | 0.943% | 13416 | 0.928% |
| 106 | Sharpedo | 0.86161% | 17393 | 0.967% | 13303 | 0.921% |
| 114 | Feraligatr | 0.74040% | 16828 | 0.935% | 13227 | 0.915% |
| 116 | Virizion | 0.69307% | 11814 | 0.657% | 9014 | 0.624% |
| 123 | Victreebel | 0.60835% | 9859 | 0.548% | 7286 | 0.504% |
| 125 | Slowking | 0.58903% | 12034 | 0.669% | 10011 | 0.693% |
| 133 | Tangrowth | 0.52772% | 11366 | 0.632% | 8622 | 0.597% |
| 134 | Rotom-Heat | 0.52469% | 10485 | 0.583% | 8652 | 0.599% |
| 150 | Cobalion | 0.42256% | 7938 | 0.441% | 6407 | 0.443% |
| 155 | Shaymin | 0.39473% | 7054 | 0.392% | 5492 | 0.380% |
| 209 | Escavalier | 0.15578% | 4407 | 0.245% | 3463 | 0.240% |
| 245 | Spinda | 0.08848% | 2975 | 0.165% | 2452 | 0.170% |

One Pokémon that needs more usage in both 1850 and regular is Toxicroak. I have been swept by it many times and it is often unprepared for. Its impossible to kill under rain and its typing is actually very good defensively. It may not be top 20 worthy, but it is still a very competent threat

I think Venomoth deserves more use than it gets. Although it's not always the most reliable of Quiver Dance Sweepers (Volcarona), it has Sleep Powder and Tinted Lens, two things Volcarona doesn't have. It can be very useful if played correctly.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
sand..........................17.90181%
rain..........................17.64915%

Happy to see this :) While I liked Gen IV's generally weatherless meta more, I'm glad to see sand has regained its throne of top weather in OU, even if it's for a short time.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
One Pokémon that needs more usage in both 1850 and regular is Toxicroak. I have been swept by it many times and it is often unprepared for. Its impossible to kill under rain and its typing is actually very good defensively. It may not be top 20 worthy, but it is still a very competent threat
Any ghost with sub can counter it's standard sd/sub/drain punch/sucker punch set. So don't see what you mean, though I do agree that it is amazing when its counters are gone, same could be said for most of ou but eh.

I think Venomoth deserves more use than it gets. Although it's not always the most reliable of Quiver Dance Sweepers (Volcarona), it has Sleep Powder and Tinted Lens, two things Volcarona doesn't have. It can be very useful if played correctly.
No one gives two shits about tinted lens, wonder skin is where it's true usefulness lies. Venomoth shouldn't be trying to sweep anyways with that base 90 SpA.

ParaGoomba348 said:
This is a bad comparison, since Venomoth isn't a straight up QD Sweeper, it is a Baton Passer. Venomoth gets Sleep Powder, which means if Sleep Powder connects Venomoth will always be able to get at least one Quiver Dance passed to a more terrifying sweeper like Keldeo or Nidoking.

But seriously Tinted Lens>>>>>>Wonder Skin. Haruno even if a resist in front of moth, it can still pop it with a boosted Bug Buzz. Who cares if venomoth gets statused if it is not your primary sweeper and can just baton pass out?

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is a bad comparison, since Venomoth isn't a straight up QD Sweeper, it is a Baton Passer. Venomoth gets Sleep Powder, which means if Sleep Powder connects Venomoth will always be able to get at least one Quiver Dance passed to a more terrifying sweeper like Keldeo or Nidoking.

But seriously Tinted Lens>>>>>>Wonder Skin. Haruno even if a resist in front of moth, it can still pop it with a boosted Bug Buzz. Who cares if venomoth gets statused if it is not your primary sweeper and can just baton pass out?
Did you just make my argument for me? It's not a primary sweeper hence why it shouldn't be attacking. Even at 252+ SpA and at +1 bug buzz won't be killing squat. It would be far more beneficial to just Baton pass out. Wonder skin allows you to avoid events that might prevent your pass like roar, twave, etc which would have completely wasted venos usefulness. If you needed something to just sleep a mon then butterfree with its 98% accuracy sleep powders or breloom would be better.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Did you just make my argument for me? It's not a primary sweeper hence why it shouldn't be attacking. Even at 252+ SpA and at +1 bug buzz won't be killing squat. It would be far more beneficial to just Baton pass out. Wonder skin allows you to avoid events that might prevent your pass like roar, twave, etc which would have completely wasted venos usefulness. If you needed something to just sleep a mon then butterfree with its 98% accuracy sleep powders or breloom would be better.
Venomoth isn't only made to put a pokemon to sleep, Sleep Powder is just a move which gives it 75% to have a free turn to setup. Even better, the setup move in question is arguably one of the best : Quiver Dance. From there, Venomoth only has to continue boosting if the oppenent can't phaze it/touch it, or simply Baton Pass to one of your sweeper.

Wonder Skin vs Tinted Lens all have pros & cons, Tinted Lens gives you the possibility to not be setup fodder ( if it occur). While Wonder Skin gives you 50% to ignore any status/phaze moves, giving you more opportunity to setup in their faces, but if you end up baton passing when they end up clicking roar, your recipient will now get phazed away and all your boosts are now gone.

1. Venomoth is not going to be sweeping the floor with the opponents team, but Tinted Lens is uber-important when you are only running 1 move to do any damage. Venomoth can pick off weakened targets with Tinted Lens that it otherwise would not have been able to do so. How about for example the #1 threat in the metagame: Keldeo. Here's the calc with Tinted Lens:

+1 4 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 145-172 (44.89 - 53.25%) -- 31.64% chance to 2HKO

and without:

+1 4 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 72-86 (22.29 - 26.62%) -- possible 4HKO

As you can see, at +1 Venomoth can do a sizeable chunk to Keldeo. It isn't only Keldeo either. For example (Bold with tinted lens, unbolded without):

Offensive Pivot Landorus-T:
+1 4 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 160-190 (43.36 - 51.49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 4 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 80-95 (21.68 - 25.74%) -- possible 5HKO

Dragon Dance Salamence:
+1 4 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence: 178-211 (53.77 - 63.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 4 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence: 89-105 (26.88 - 31.72%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Choice Band Scizor:
+1 4 SpA Tinted Lens Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 160-189 (46.64 - 55.1%) -- 66.02% chance to 2HKO
+1 4 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 80-94 (23.32 - 27.4%) -- possible 4HKO

Doubling your damage output against 22 Pokemon in OU (nearly half the tier) and dealing normal effectiveness to 15 new Pokemon is way better than the chance for a "potential" status condition to "potentially" miss (50/50). Getting 2HKO's isn't really "squat is it! You really will be doing squat with Wonder Skin.

2. Wonder Skin would not activate if Venomoth was Baton Passing out, since the phaze is the last thing to go and you would have Baton Passed to a new Pokemon. So you wouldn't be able to Baton Pass safely, only uselessly boost more or attack (but now you don't have Tinted Lens to help). It would only work during the time it would be boosting up. Even then, it is a50/50 chance so you can still be phazed out. Also, you can save up Sleep Power if you really wanted to so it could be used against the opponents phazer.

The only status that Venomoth really cares about is Sleep and paralysis. Paralysis could be really annoying, but why do you care so much if it is statused if, as you said, not your primary sweeper? With paralysis you can just Baton Pass to the new Pokemon, who won't be paralyzed itself because you will be slower than the Pokemon using Thunder Wave. Few Pokemon use sleeping moves outside of Breloom, Amoonguss, and Venasaur. For Breloom you can attack to do a good chunk. You got me on Amoonguss. Saur will just kill you.

But if you care about status so much, why not use a Lum Berry?!? Black Sludge recovery isn't dire so you can forgo for a Lum Berry which will 100% protect you from status.

If you needed something to just sleep a mon then butterfree with its 98% accuracy sleep powders or breloom would be better.
The Sleep Powder that Venomoth has helps facilitate its Baton Pass. The purpose is not to "just have" the ability to sleep an opposing Pokemon on your whole team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)