[OU RMT] Team "No Russian"

Hey there everyone, and welcome to my RMT Thread. It's technically my second one (the first one died) and I did get some good CC on my old one while I had it. Anyways, as for this team, I wanted a team that could catch the opponent off-guard, and use that shock-value to my advantage. If anyone has played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you understand the title reference. Now, what you all came here for... I introduce to you, Team NO RUSSIAN.

Changes will be in BOLDFACE BLUE

:: AT A GLANCE ::

:: IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS ::

Effort Values will be in the order
HP | ATTACK | DEFENSE | SPECIAL ATTACK | SPECIAL DEFENSE | SPEED

LEV/CELEBI - Occa Berry
Natural Cure
76 | 0 | 0 | 252 | 0 | 180
Nature: Modest
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- U-Turn

Generally, the reaction I get when I toss out Celebi as my lead is "OMGWTFBBQ?!?!" It's a rather uncommon lead, but it eats many of the other leads for breakfast. With Leaf Storm, it scores a nice OHKO on Swampert 100% of the time, and on Hippowdon about 95% of the time. With Metagross leads, the general plan is either U-Turn to do some scouting, or try an Earth Power because it will OHKO (or near enough) on any LeadGross with less than 100 Sp. Def. EVs. Earth Power will also OHKO Heatran, and usually a Jirachi that isn't expecting me to attack the first turn (a.k.a. Choice Switchers, which Celebi doesn't seem to mind :naughty:) On leads where my two primary attacks won't hit super effectively and/or isn't worth risking not doing at least 50% damage, I generally set up Rocks, then U-Turn out of there. Speaking of U-Turn, Azelf leads tend to not like U-Turn... Anyways, Celebi tends to do a good job leading off, and the Occa Berry is there to protect it from Flamethrowers from Infernape/Azelf Leads.

VIKTOR/FLYGON - Life Orb
Levitate
4 | 252 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 252
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Roost

With Salamence under the radar of the Uber-police, I really didn't want to leave my team without a Dragon if (when) Salamence gets booted out of the OU tiers, so my two options were Flygon and Dragonite. Both are very attractive Earthquake absorbers, and both are also fairly bulky... However, Flygon gets the special defense boost from the ever-common Tyranitar that Dragonite does not. EQ and Dragon Claw are there for primary STAB attacks, and both can take a huge dent out of much of the metagame. Stone Edge is there for the inevitable Gyarados switch-in, and Roost is to help shrug off some of the Life Orb recoil. This Flygon does fairly well as an unboosted sweeper, and can usually take down 2-3 pokemon fairly well before running into problems.

MAKAROV/GYARADOS - Leftovers
Intimidate
156 | 72 | 96 | 0 | 0 | 184
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

The leader of the Ultranationalists. Gyarados poses a threat to any team that is not prepared for it, and even to those who are. The general plan is to switch in on something that I can set up on (I'm looking at you, Scizor!), get a Dance in on the switch, and kick it into overdrive. Waterfall is there for STAB, and even after only one DDance, it takes a huge dent out of most Pokemon who don't resist it. Earthquake is there for electrical switch-ins (and to scare away Infernape/Lucario), and Stone Edge makes Salamence/Dragonite/other Gyarados think twice about coming into play. Gyarados can also attempt to pseudo-wall some physical attackers, as it is a bulkier set.

ANATOLY/SCIZOR - Choice Band
Technician
248 | 252 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 8
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-Turn

Standard CB Scizor. He comes in early in the game to scout out the other team, or on any/all Tyranitar switch-ins because Scizor makes Ttar hide in fear. Overall Scizor provides all around coverage, and if a Fire attack is aimed his way, Flygon takes it like a champ. He has good synergy with Gyarados as well, because Gyarados can come in on EQ aimed at Scizor and fire back with the appropriate attack (most of the time). From what I've seen, Scizor has earned his spot on this team and does a good job with what he's meant to do.

KIRIL/RAIKOU - Choice Specs
Pressure
4 | 0 | 0 | 252 | 0 | 252
Nature: Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Grass)

Raikou... quite possibly the most underestimated electric-type in the OU metagame. And why? Because that stupid Jolteon attempts to steal its thunder (ha, pun). However, Raikou has two things going for it that Jolteon lacks: Pressure support and natural bulk. No team wants to have to deal with losing 2 PP instead of one, and Raikou can help deplete the opponent's movepool with its ability, and Raikou sacrifices a little speed to gain a higher Sp. Att. stat and more physical bulk. To me, that is totally worth scrapping Jolteon for Raikou, and I think that this fast-dasher will always be part of my team. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST A REPLACEMENT FOR RAIKOU, HE WILL BE STAYING. HP (Grass) is there to cover the incoming ground switch, and it will OHKO Swampert 100% of the time, and score a comfortable 75-80% damage on Hippowdon. HP (Grass) also makes Tyranitar think twice about switching in unless it's packing Choice Scarf, and even then it might still think again. Overall, I am happy with the beast and it gets its job done. However, being a choice-itemer, its tactic is a simple hit-and-run job, much like it does in the games.

JIRACHI/JIRACHI - Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
- Iron Head
- Thunderpunch
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

I needed the Scarfer over the option of a Wish passer because LeadChamp destroys this team. With the EVs and nature, it will outspeed almost all other Choice users, while allowing it to do some serious damage. This team lacks serious recovery, but it is so durable that it usually gets the job done. Overall I really like this set up.

:: TEAM BUILDING PROCESS ::

I wanted a Pokemon that caught people by surprise but still was effective enough to make them even a little nervous. With its unique access to Extrasensory, something Jolteon doesn't have, it makes the ever popular Gengar think twice about switching.

Next, I needed a Pokemon that could absorb Earthquakes for Raikou (because he's just asking for them) and return fire. Gyarados provided just the Pokemon.

With Gyarados running the LO set, she needed a way to recover some damage before Life Orb ended up taking her life... WishBliss was that answer. Yes, Gyarados would have to sacrifice its nice DDance boost to regain some health, but it will always have the opportunity to set it up again.

I needed a lead that wasn't going to get murdered by other common leads out there, but still was able to set up rocks and do some damage. I saw the article for the Celebi lead and I just had to have it. It resists/threatens many of the common leads, and it was just too good to pass up.

I needed a revenge killer, and who better than Jirachi? With its naturally defensive typing, above average speed, and great move pool and ability, Jirachi stood out amongst the others.

I needed a dragon not named Salamence (due to it being a Uber suspect), and it was between Flygon and Dragonite. Read above to figure out why I picked Flygon over Dragonite =)

Scizor was put in place of Blissey as per tab's suggestion. Blissey wasn't really effective for this team (as it is sort of a pseudo-HO team) so Jirachi took her spot and Scizor took the role of Bander. I've been experimenting with this team via Wi-fi and so far it has a win rate of about 80% (that's acceptable for me). I can't ask it to win every time, but it does what it's set out to do =)

:: THREAT LIST ::

Azelf: U-Turn from Jirachi

Breloom: Flygon/Gyarados can set up on it all day, and either Celebi/Blissey can absorb the Spore

Celebi: U-Turn from Jirachi

Dugtrio: Gyarados, STAB Waterfall OHKOs and it isn't effected by Arena Trap

Electivire: Flygon shuts his ass down, unless its packing Ice Punch, in which case Raikou can switch in and fire off Extrasensory/Shadow Ball

Empoleon: +1 Earthquake from Gyarados will do enough damage to Empoleon that it won't matter if it gets an agility up, its cannon fodder

Flygon: Ice Punch from Jirachi, or if he's dead I can attempt a Dragon Claw from Flygon

Gengar: Raikou, Extrasensory/Shadow Ball

Gliscor: Ice Punch from Jirachi

Gyarados: Raikou, STAB Thunderbolt will OHKO, or my Gyarados can switch in... Most Gyarados don't like to be Intimidated

Heatran: Flygon eats Heatran for breakfast

Heracross: Fire Punch from Jirachi

Infernape: Don't make me laugh. Gyarados's STAB Waterfall OHKOs even at neutral

Jirachi: Jirachi/Flygon/Gyarados

Kingdra: This one poses a puzzler, but I generally just let Raikou unload STAB Thunderbolts at it

Lucario: Fire Punch from Jirachi

Machamp: Extrasensory from Raikou. Raikou outspeeds, and Machamp usually falls to one Extrasensory with the Specs boost

Magnezone: They usually switch in on Jirachi (he's my only steel to kill) so either Fire Punch from him, or I'll toss out Celebi and Earth Power away

Mamoswine: Gyarados resists all of its STAB attacks, and EQs it away

Metagross: Usually either Fire Punch from Jirachi or Earth Power from Celebi

Ninjask: Scarf Jirachi outspeeds it at +1, so if the opponent tosses him out I usually send out Jirachi and Fire Punch it away since its quite frail. +1 Gyarados w/ Stone Edge works wonders too if it is brought out later in the game

Porygon-Z: Blissey totally walls most variants, and my sweepers don't usually mind dealing with him

Rhyperior: STAB Waterfall from Gyarados

Roserade: U-Turn from Jirachi, and then if its not dead at that point, Gyarados can finish her off

Rotom-A: Shadow Ball from Raikou

Salamence: is now Uber, so it is no longer a threat

Scizor: Fire Punch rapes it

Snorlax: I usually have a little trouble with this guy, but I don't see him too often either, so that's a plus

Starmie: Tends not to like U-Turn from Jirachi or STAB Thunderbolt/HP Grass from Raikou

Suicune: Really hates Raikou

Togekiss: Jirachi is faster and therefore attempts to FlinchHax it =D

Tyranitar: Doesn't like Jirachi. Like at all.

Weavile: Also doesn't like Jirachi.

Yanmega: Fire Punch from Jirachi or Stone Edge from Gyarados

Zapdos: Flygon makes Zapdos hide in terror

Thanks everyone for your time. I really appreciate any constructive criticism you have, but please respect the time I put into creating this team and don't tell me that I've done everything wrong (even if I have). Only two things won't change about this team, and that's Raikou and Gyarados. Everything else is open for discussion, but seeing the results this team has given me in battles with my friends... Don't count on it. Thanks, and I can't wait to hear what the Smogon community has to say!

-Sora

Hey there everyone, and welcome to my RMT Thread. It's technically my second one (the first one died) and I did get some good CC on my old one while I had it. Anyways, as for this team, I wanted a team that could catch the opponent off-guard, and use that shock-value to my advantage. If anyone has played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you understand the title reference. Now, what you all came here for... I introduce to you, Team NO RUSSIAN.

Changes will be in BOLDFACE BLUE

:: AT A GLANCE ::

:: IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS ::

Effort Values will be in the order
HP | ATTACK | DEFENSE | SPECIAL ATTACK | SPECIAL DEFENSE | SPEED

LEV/CELEBI - Occa Berry
Natural Cure
76 | 0 | 0 | 252 | 0 | 180
Nature: Modest
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- U-Turn

Generally, the reaction I get when I toss out Celebi as my lead is "OMGWTFBBQ?!?!" It's a rather uncommon lead, but it eats many of the other leads for breakfast. With Leaf Storm, it scores a nice OHKO on Swampert 100% of the time, and on Hippowdon about 95% of the time. With Metagross leads, the general plan is either U-Turn to do some scouting, or try an Earth Power because it will OHKO (or near enough) on any LeadGross with less than 100 Sp. Def. EVs. Earth Power will also OHKO Heatran, and usually a Jirachi that isn't expecting me to attack the first turn (a.k.a. Choice Switchers, which Celebi doesn't seem to mind :naughty:) On leads where my two primary attacks won't hit super effectively and/or isn't worth risking not doing at least 50% damage, I generally set up Rocks, then U-Turn out of there. Speaking of U-Turn, Azelf leads tend to not like U-Turn... Anyways, Celebi tends to do a good job leading off, and the Occa Berry is there to protect it from Flamethrowers from Infernape/Azelf Leads.

VIKTOR/FLYGON - Life Orb
Levitate
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Roost

With Salamence under the radar of the Uber-police, I really didn't want to leave my team without a Dragon if (when) Salamence gets booted out of the OU tiers, so my two options were Flygon and Dragonite. Both are very attractive Earthquake absorbers, and both are also fairly bulky... However, Flygon gets the special defense boost from the ever-common Tyranitar that Dragonite does not. EQ and Dragon Claw are there for primary STAB attacks, and both can take a huge dent out of much of the metagame. Stone Edge is there for the inevitable Gyarados switch-in, and Roost is to help shrug off some of the Life Orb recoil. This Flygon does fairly well as an unboosted sweeper, and can usually take down 2-3 pokemon fairly well before running into problems.

MAKAROV/GYARADOS - Leftovers
Intimidate
156| 72 | 96| 0 | 184|
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

The leader of the Ultranationalists. Gyarados poses a threat to any team that is not prepared for it, and even to those who are. The general plan is to switch in on something that I can set up on (I'm looking at you, Scizor!), get a Dance in on the switch, and kick it into overdrive. Waterfall is there for STAB, and even after only one DDance, it takes a huge dent out of most Pokemon who don't resist it. Earthquake is there for electrical switch-ins (and to scare away Infernape/Lucario), and Stone Edge makes Salamence/Dragonite/other Gyarados think twice about coming into play. However, with no way to recover damage, Gyarados needs a buddy. This is where Blissey comes in...

ANATOLY/BLISSEY - Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 | 0 | 252 | 0 | 0 | 4
Nature: Bold
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Everybody hates Blissey, but this tenacious chica still continues to smile stupidly. Seriously, what's with the face?! Anyways, Blissey is the resident Special Wall/Wish Passer of the bunch, and she does a hell of a job. The plan is to come in on a special attacker, and decide if its time to wall or pass along a Wish. 90% of the time, Blissey will force a switch on any special attacker, allowing Blissey to Wish unscathed and then switch out to an appropriate counter. Simple, right? On times to stall, the general idea is Toxic the opponent, then keep launching Tosses and Softboiling where necessary and let Toxic do its thing. Other than that, it's fairly straightforward.

KIRIL/RAIKOU - Choice Specs
Pressure
4 | 0 | 0 | 252 | 0 | 252
Nature: Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Grass)

Raikou... quite possibly the most underestimated electric-type in the OU metagame. And why? Because that stupid Jolteon attempts to steal its thunder (ha, pun). However, Raikou has two things going for it that Jolteon lacks: Pressure support and natural bulk. No team wants to have to deal with losing 2 PP instead of one, and Raikou can help deplete the opponent's movepool with its ability, and Raikou sacrifices a little speed to gain a higher Sp. Att. stat and more physical bulk. To me, that is totally worth scrapping Jolteon for Raikou, and I think that this fast-dasher will always be part of my team. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST A REPLACEMENT FOR RAIKOU, HE WILL BE STAYING. HP (Grass) is there to cover the incoming ground switch, and it will OHKO Swampert 100% of the time, and score a comfortable 75-80% damage on Hippowdon. HP (Grass) also makes Tyranitar think twice about switching in unless it's packing Choice Scarf, and even then it might still think again. Overall, I am happy with the beast and it gets its job done. However, being a choice-itemer, its tactic is a simple hit-and-run job, much like it does in the games.

JIRACHI/JIRACHI - Choice Band
Serene Grace
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Right off the bat I'm going to address the number one question I get about Jirachi on this team... It's not nicknamed because it's an event Pokemon and I can't name it. Anyway, Jirachi is the revenge killer on the team. It outspeeds or speed ties with just about anything that isn't choice scarfed AND over base 100 speed. Iron Head is there for Flinch-Haxing and overall neutral damage (resisted only by 4 of the 17 possible types), U-Turn is for early game scouting, Fire Punch to deal with Scizor, and Ice Punch is there to get rid of them annoying Dragons, bar Kingdra. I contemplated running Thunderpunch over Fire punch, but then my team has nothing to deal with the ever-common Scizor. Overall, Jirachi does a good job and only really needs to worry about Heatran switch-ins, since I get walled horridly by him.

:: TEAM BUILDING PROCESS ::

I wanted a Pokemon that caught people by surprise but still was effective enough to make them even a little nervous. With its unique access to Extrasensory, something Jolteon doesn't have, it makes the ever popular Gengar think twice about switching.

Next, I needed a Pokemon that could absorb Earthquakes for Raikou (because he's just asking for them) and return fire. Gyarados provided just the Pokemon.

With Gyarados running the LO set, she needed a way to recover some damage before Life Orb ended up taking her life... WishBliss was that answer. Yes, Gyarados would have to sacrifice its nice DDance boost to regain some health, but it will always have the opportunity to set it up again.

I needed a lead that wasn't going to get murdered by other common leads out there, but still was able to set up rocks and do some damage. I saw the article for the Celebi lead and I just had to have it. It resists/threatens many of the common leads, and it was just too good to pass up.

I needed a revenge killer, and who better than Jirachi? With its naturally defensive typing, above average speed, and great move pool and ability, Jirachi stood out amongst the others.

I needed a dragon not named Salamence (due to it being a Uber suspect), and it was between Flygon and Dragonite. Read above to figure out why I picked Flygon over Dragonite =)

Thanks everyone for your time. I really appreciate any constructive criticism you have, but please respect the time I put into creating this team and don't tell me that I've done everything wrong (even if I have). Only two things won't change about this team, and that's Raikou and Gyarados. Everything else is open for discussion, but seeing the results this team has given me in battles with my friends... Don't count on it. Thanks, and I can't wait to hear what the Smogon community has to say!

-Sora
Changes in bold. This is a pretty good team. You just need to adjust a few things. Try Banded Jirachi instead of ScarfedRachi, it packs more power. It also works well with Gyarados. I also think having Gyarados will help you out much.

The reason I preferred to run Fire Punch over Zen Headbutt is because without Fire Punch, I have no Scizor coverage... Like, at all. As for the Gyarados suggestion, it seems like it could work (as I have no true definitive physical wall, I just rely on the natural bulk)... I'll consider it =)

ROck types, not ground get the special defense boost; so that's not a valid argument of choosing Flygon over Dragonite. However, it's typing would be more useful in that it resists rock; I know that doesn't change your team at all but it is something to keep in mind. Also, where Raikou gets to threaten Gengar with extrasensory, Jolteon can use shadow ball. Anyways, as for real changes, I suggest giving Gyrados a bulkier ev spread, prferably Smogon's "bulky" set :156hp/72attack/96def/184 spe, adamant@leftovers. The main reason for this is that since Gyrados is your counter to Sczor and check for Lucario, you need to be able to take as many hits from the powerhouses as pssible. Also, you don't need max speed as Blissey and Raikou cover Jolteon/Starmie, the fastest threats that Gyra will ever face. If you want more firepower, drop the hp evs to 72 and invest the rest for attack, alloing for some bulk needed for leftvers. I hope that helps.

I seem to be getting a lot of suggestions to change the Gyarados set to BulkyGyara, so I will be doing just that. As for the CC, please by all means keep it coming!

@gaburu: Raikou also packs Shadow Ball, I dunno if you noticed that... But Extrasensory also allows for a check for Breloom/Roserade that Jolteon lacks.

Hey. This is a pretty solid team, but I think you can improve it quite a lot simply by making a few smallish changes. The most obvious problem here is Skarmory - the only member of your team that really threatens it is Raikou, which isn't a great one due to the fact that Skarmory is going to be run with Blissey or some other solid check to Raikou most of the time. Putting Fire Blast over Stone Edge on Flygon would go a long way towards fixing that, giving you a Skarmory/Scizor lure. I've used your Flygon set with Fire Blast quite a lot, and there's really only been a handful of times that Stone Edge would have been useful. There's also some much better ways to deal with Gyarados on this team than trying to hit it with SE should it try and set up on Flygon. Even if you're using Fire Blast, you don't need to change your EVs or nature, as it'll be 2HKOing even Specially Defensive Skarmory with what you have now.

Now, as the Skarmory problem I mentioned at the start suggests, I can see your teams biggest problem being stall. You can try out Taunt over Earthquake on Gyarados to help out a bit in that respect, as with Taunt, Gyarados can pretty much guarentee a win against many stall teams as soon as you weaken or remove Rotom.

Next up, you might not like it, but if you're using Choice Specs, Jolteon is simply better than Raikou due to its better speed - you can 2HKO Scarftar switches, and revenge kill Adamant Gyarados, as well as a few other bonuses. However, seeing as you want to stick with Raikou, I'd suggest trying out a Calm Mind set instead, which I think you'll find a lot more useful on this team. Going with a Life Orb and Calm Mind/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/HP Grass will give you a pokemon capable of doing pretty much everything your current set does just as well, while giving you an extremely dangerous sweeper to reliably clean up with.

On Jirachi, you're going to want to use ThunderPunch over Ice Punch to make revenge killing Gyarados easier, seeing as Iron Head does pretty much everything you need Ice Punch to do already.

Finally, my biggest gripe with this team is Blissey - it simply doesn't fit in well. You've got a pretty offensive team that relies on keeping up a fast pace, and then have included a special wall that slows play down, and doesn't really do a huge amount for you. If you want a Wish passer, Vaporeon is better in pretty much every way for this team - with Surf/Wish/Protect and Toxic/HP Electric/Roar, you'll still be able to deal with pretty much everything your team needs Blissey for currently, although I'd suggest dropping the dedicated Wish passer entirely and going down one of two routes instead. The first would be to use a Wish/Calm Mind/Thunderbolt/Psychic Jirachi instead of your current set, and then a CB Scizor instead of Blissey, which gives you a more offensive version of what you have now, while still allowing you to check what you need to. Alternatively, you could drop the Wish user altogether, and try something like Heatran or Suicune in place of Blissey, both of which have good enough defences and resistences in combination with the rest of your team to check what you'll need them to, while contributing a lot more offensively. I'll leave it up to you to decide which of the options I've outlined you prefer the sound of.

Good luck!

Alright thanks tab, that really helps me a lot. I'll play around with the changes you mentioned during the week (going to Nashville, TN for a national competition) and hopefully update this thread when I get back (I'm not sure if I'll have access to a computer). Can I please ask someone to keep my thread bumped? THANKS MUCH!

I'd like to point out that Gyarados can set up on Scizor very easily, so you probably could run Thunderpunch on Jirachi.

This looks like a pretty solid team. Creative with lead Celebi, non-Choice Flygon, and Raikou. I don't know if I like Raikou but I dislike Jolteon anyway, so hey.

What it seems to lack is speed, which is why I think Scarfed Jirachi could be beneficial to you. But I guess even Mence you could play around by switching to BulkyGyara, who usually beats Mence 1-on-1, and going to Jirachi if it outrages.

I will admit to having faced this team today

At the time I was thinking who the he'll uses extrasensory on raikou, but it's a nice surprise

yeah I have no advice

What do you do against lead Machamp? Your Celebi isn't exactly fit to combat it. Raikou can take it out with Extrasensory (something that Jolteon's Shadow Ball can't do) but that won't stop Machamp from getting a DynamicPunch or two off.

I like the team overall; I support the Scizor over Blissey decision.

One last thing...

In Soviet Russia, team rate you!

Hahaha, Jebus that's the funniest thing I've heard for a long time when referencing Pokemon. I do like the team that I've set up currently, and it does get its job done. I switched to a ScarfRachi to better handle Machamp, and it seems to be working quite well.

Karpi, it wasn't me so obviously someone hijacked this team =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)