Project OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 87 - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

agslash23

Banned deucer.
Really awesome submissions this time around. Would love to try out most of these Dragapult sets on the ladder at some point (Not right now though, as I am busy with Legends Arceus. Hope you are enjoying the new game too)

We would be closing the voting for this cycle, and the winner is:

:ss/Dragapult:

:Lum Berry: Bulky Dragon Dance by GuardArc

Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame!

:lum berry: Bulky Dragon Dance by GuardArc - 8
:leftovers: SubDisable by ironwater - 5
:chesto berry: SubDD + Rest by hozuuu - 5
:choice band: Double Edge by BT89 - 4
:spell tag: Infestation by avg - 3
:life orb: AoA Grudge by nameless90 - 3
:light clay: Dual Screens by TailGlowVM - 2
:heavy-duty boots: Thunder Wave by Nish the Great - 1
:weakness policy: Mixed Dragon Dance by JetpackPotatoes
:rocky helmet: RestTalk by Feelingmo
:colbur berry: "Haxapult" by FreshJuice

Cycle 65 - Garchomp

:ss/Garchomp:

Next, we look at Dragapult's Dragon-type brethren in Garchomp. The Land Shark is one of the best set up sweepers around thanks to Swords Dance and Scale Shot, coupled with near-perfect coverage with moves like Earthquake, Scale Shot, Fire Fang/Stone Edge. This gives it a solid place on Offensive teams, especially synergizing with other behemoths like Weavile, Zeraora. It has been also seen use as a fine defensive tank due to its good natural bulk, valuable resistances provided by Dragon/Ground to check Heatran, Zeraora, etc., ability to punish contact (especially Surging Strikes vs Urshifu-R) thanks to Rough Skin, utility moves like Stealth Rock, Toxic, and lack of passivity vs Steel Birds and Buzzwole (unlike its competitor Landorus-T) thanks to Flamethrower.

We do believe that there are more sets that Garchomp could be equipped with, as it has a good movepool and solid, well-rounded stats. Now, it's your time to present us with the next Garchomp set that can take the ladder by storm.

Banned sets
| :Yache Berry: :Leftovers: |

The deadline is Thursday, 3rd of February. Good luck!​

Last edited:

cheru

formerly romanji
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:bw/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Mixchomp lures in many of its checks and can eliminate them quite easily. Steel-types like Corviknight and Ferrothorn get melted by Fire Blast. threats that switch into Earthquake like Rotom-W, Zapdos, Slowbro, and Tornadus-T. Stealth Rock is also good on this set since it weakens down all of the hazard removal options as well.

Last edited:
RestTalk Garchomp (with special attacking moves)

Garchomp @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Scorching Sands
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Here is my variation of the tank set.
First of all, I think that the combination of Flamethrower + Scorching Sands adds a lot more utility, especially defensively when you fish the 30% burn chance from your STABbed Ground move.
  • Luckily, Scorching Sands is not affected by Grassy Terrain, so you can play Rillaboom freely in your own team if you need/want.
Rest+Sleep Talk provide recovery and a way to get rid of detrimental status (especially Poison) that ruins this defensivish Garchomp.

0 Atk IVs in order to take less damage from Foul Play.
  • A way to deal properly with bulky Waters is needed, but that's why teammates are for.

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Offensive Stealth Rock
:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

This is a new set that has become prominent recently on teams desiring a hazard setter that can reliably pressure Landorus-T, thanks to Swords Dance and Aqua Tail, and it can still beat most Pokemon that conventional Swords Dance + 3 Attacks sets can.

:sm/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Salac Berry
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang/Stone Edge
This set is like the SD + Scale Shot set, but uses substitute to avoid status and salad berry to boost speed if you get that low. The choice between Fire Fang and Stone Edge is up to you and your team, though I would use edge to avoid risking paralysis from mons like zap and still 2hko corv.

Last edited:
:Garchomp: :Choice Scarf:
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Flamethrower

40 Def EVs to always take 1+ Kartana Leaf Blade after Stealth Rock, as Garchomp is slower than this common Scarf. Flamethrower is all you need to KO back, even if -SpA, without relying on accuracy.
Rock Slide is enough for Volcarona, even max HP. Max HP/Def still survives but will tickle in back.
Scale Shot is for Dragonite but have your Garchomp well trained as it will need 4 hits.
EQ is EQ.

We're all winners this round because we don't need to see the infamous Sand Veil gimmicks. Thanks Finchinator and OU Council.

reserving sr + dragon tail
Sιɳƙԋσʅҽ Gαɾƈԋσɱρ
:Leftovers: :ss/Garchomp: :Leftovers:
Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Overview:
Set up Rocks, put up a Sub, and you're good to go! This is an incredibly unique Rocks-setting set as it forces switches with Dragon Tail, and with Rocks up, this leads to both STAB attack damage and residual damage in Rocks after the switch. Sub is great on this set because Dragon Tail has negative priority, meaning if Sub is up you can easily take a hit against an unfavorable matchup and Dragon Tail in revenge.

I won't lie to you. I won't say, "I've been using this set for a long time on ladder," or, "This is my personal favorite off-meta set," I am going to be honest with you, I made this set just now.

Last edited:

that's right, I'm running Garchomp!

Garchomp @ Roseli Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 112 Atk / 184 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Earthquake

The purpose of this Chomp is to not only have a favourable matchup on fairies, but to stay in on them! Get a sub, toxic your opponent, and voila! Easy chip!
Earthquake also provides valuable damage to steels. This set only gets completely walled by Corviknight in OU, but any team can take care of that!
Don't forget (because I did while writing) our speed ev's! You outspeed a 252 Heatran, 252+ Magnezone, 252+ Pelipper, 252+ T-Tar, and uninvested Tapu Fini!

112+ Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 226-266 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Toxic won't do anything, so poison jab!
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 156 HP / 184 SpD Roseli Berry Garchomp: 93-109 (23.4 - 27.5%) -- 70.9% chance to 4HKO
not only is it a 70% chance to 4HKO (3 hits after roseli berry is used.) You have a chance for the Moonblast to not even break the sub!

112+ Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 372-440 (132.3 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
No surprise...
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 156 HP / 184 SpD Roseli Berry Garchomp: 100-118 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Not enough for your sub to live, but you're tanking it.

112+ Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 120-142 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- 70.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
It definitely won't kill, but it will provide a lot of chip!
0 SpA Tapu Fini Draining Kiss vs. 156 HP / 184 SpD Roseli Berry Garchomp: 49-58 (12.3 - 14.6%) -- possible 7HKO
Absolute tank...

112+ Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 236-282 (56 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You're absolutely killing if you have a sub, Ice Punch or not!
Hope ya enjoy!

Last edited:
SpD Garchomp
(Click me!)
Garchomp @ Leftovers :leftovers:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe (EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe)
Careful / (Jolly) Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic (Etc.)
- Stone Edge (Etc.)

In the heat of the most recent SPL, we've experienced a rise in the usage of Heatran, Zeraora, Zapdos, and Tornadus. This increase has created an open niche for a Ground-type like Garchomp that can compress defensive profiles for the four effectively. Landorus is direct competition to this set, although Garchomp sets itself apart with a variety of tools that Landorus does not possess. It handles many other defensive and offensive names of the tier better than Landorus, due to its prized speed, bulk, typing, and wide movepool. Personally, I've used this set for quite some time and it's surprising that it gets very little recognition. While not exactly being a meta staple, it plays an important role on teams that need its support while being highly customizable and unexpected.

The set above is basic SpD Chomp, maximum bulk with leftover investment to outspeed Timid Magnezone and other things creeping at 240. An EV spread of 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe can be used to account for offensive variants of Heatran. With a Careful nature you outspeed Modest Heatran, and with a Jolly nature you outspeed Timid Heatran. Moves likes Aqua Tail, Dragon Tail, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Draco Meteor account for its flexible moveslots, with some variants even opting for a defensive SR 3A variant to fit as much coverage as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)