[OU 5th] Team "It's Not Very Effective..."

Hi. I am new at this, as I have only created a few teams before, to little success. This team, however, I put a lot of thought into. I tried to make the team cover each other's weaknesses just so, and I aimed to have the fewest weaknesses possible. Without further ado, here's my team:

In depth:

Machamp

@ Lum Berry
No Guard
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SDef
Adamant
DynamicPunch
Bullet Punch
Stone Edge
Substitute

I've quickly noticed that suicide SR leads are obsolete in this gen. With Mischevious Heart Taunt and Magic Mirror, most people are running more offensive leads and bringing in their SRer when the Magic Mirror user is KO'd. Even well into the 5th gen, Machamp has served me well as a great anti-lead. Machamp has greater special bulk over Roobushin, and, most importantly: No Guard Dynamicpunch. The lum berry allows me to take a stun spore from things like Erufuun and a Will-O-Wisp from things like Burungeru. Although he doesn't cover my team's weaknesses, he does a good job at providing my team with some much-needed power, a SR resistence, and adds no significent weaknesses to my team. Still, I am open to replacements.

Synergy:

Flying:

Zapdos
Heatran

Psychic:

Nattorei
Heatran
Burungeru (to an extent)

Burungeru

@Leftovers
Water Absorb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm
Surf
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Ball

What can be said about Burungeru that hasn't already been said? She has a fantastic typing, providing 3 immunites and 5 resistences. When well-invested, she has a fantastic Sp. Def and HP stat, something most Ghosts can't brag about. I chose Surf because of the power increase over Boiling Water, and Boiling Water and Will-O-Wisp is redundant. Recover is obvious. Shadow Ball is for Ghost switch-ins, and I chose a Calm nature for that Sp. Def boost. Overall, this thing, along with Nattorei, really form the backbone of my team. Really, her only problem is her inability to take physical hits well. Other than that, this thing is great.

Synergy:

Electric:

Zapdos
Gliscor
Nattorei

Grass:

Nattorei
Zapdos
Heatran

Nattorei

@Shed Shell
Iron Barbs
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Leech Seed
Spikes

Nattorei has great synergy, along with Burungeru. This is the standard spiker set, always getting up all 3 layers quickly. Gyro Ball is a great STAB attack, Power Whip is also THE best Grass-type attack, and Leech Seed provides some much-welcomed recovery. He also covers Burungeru's weaknesses perfectly, able to take anything Burungeru can't. This is also the backbone of my team, sporting arguebly THE best defensive typing in the game.

Synergy:

Fire:

Burungeru
Heatran

Fighting:

Burungeru
Gliscor
Zapdos

Heatran

@Leftovers
Flash Fire
248 HP / 132 SAtk / 128 Spd
Timid
Fire Blast
Stealth Rock
Earth Power
Roar

I've found Heatran to be perhaps THE best user of SR in the game. He's bulky, slightly fast, and has great special attack and typing. This a bulky Heatran that I came up with, setting up rocks and still taking Specs Jolteon's Thunderbolts like cake. The extra speed here allows him to get up rocks quickly, and then Fire Blast/Earth Power/Roar the current Pokemon in. He also provides my team with some much-appreciated resistences. Flash Fire was the obvious ability here, allowing him to switch into Shandera all day and laugh at its attacks.

Synergy:

Water:

Burungeru
Nattorei

Fighting:

Burungeru
Gliscor
Zapdos

Gliscor

@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Spd
Impish
Earthquake
Taunt
Protect
U-turn

Britscor the Terrible returns from 4th gen to take more names! I'd originally had Hyper Cutter on him, but with the prevalance of SS, I've replaced Hyper Cutter with Sand Veil. The EVs allow Gliscor to take punishment from anything that's not Ice. Earthquake provides Gliscor with great STAB, Roost for instant recovery, Taunt to prevent set up(Roobushin loves to try that.), and U-turn when an unfavorable matchup occurs. Gliscor also has great synergy with the rest of the team, taking Fighting attacks aimed at Heatran and Nattorei like a champ. He also takes Ground attacks aimed at Heatran like a pro.

Synergy:

Water:

Burungeru
Nattorei

Ice:

Burungeru
Heatran

Zapdos

@Leftovers
Lightningrod
248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Def
Calm
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Roost
HP ICE

Zapdos, the most epic Pokemon from 1st Gen, remains one of the best special hit absorbers around. With 248 HP and 228 SDef and a Calm nature, he can take unboosted special ice attacks, and even weaker unboosted physical ones, like a champ. After neutering threats with a Thunder Wave, I can Roost off any damage, which also removes my Flying type, which is great for that 1 turn of no Ice or Rock weakness, and after a Thunder Wave most threats are going to be hitting last anyways, leaving them with nothing to hit me with super-effectively. Thunderbolt is an amazing STABed move, and HP ICE is there for other fliers and such.

Synergy:

Ice:

Burungeru
Heatran

Rock:

Machamp
Nattorei

Team Strengths:

The entire team only has 12 weaknesses.
Atleast 2 of every type in the GAME is resisted on my team.
1 SR weakness.
Decent offensive line.

There you have it. Please rate my team! Suggestions are welcome!

Gliscor can have Poison Heal legally now, so you might want to give it that and replace Roost with Protect or something.

A lot of the time, yes. Try it out under an alt, that's a good way to test new ideas.

BTW I threw together a team synergy chart for you, looking good!
Thanks! Mind if I add that in? And I'll test Poison Heal Gliscor out. Don't forget about Zapdos' Lightning rod, however.

Having a strong synergy isn't the only successful thing for a team. How does your team handle specific threats in the current metagame, such as Doryuzuu and Shell Break Cloyster? You can resist as many types as possible, but at the end of the day you actually have to faint your opponents pokemon to win.

A threat list would be nice to see how you deal with offensive and defensive threats.

This... is a pretty good team. That's some great synergy there with many great resistances and a ton of bulky offense in addition to entry hazards. This is the kind of bulky offense my team is striving for.

But yeah, you will love Gliscorb. It's so potent at attacking and defending and status immunity is something your team will like.Read the OU Analyses thread we go pretty indepth on it's viability. But poison heal combined with Fling, Protect, EQ and Acrobat give you two 100+ BP STABs on top of status immunity, constant super leftover recovery, and great coverage. It's a beast.

All in all great team. I can only see Skymin being the biggest threat with its coverage and speed. Only one pokemon is SR weak and one is Spikes weak and you can handle all forms of weather pretty well. You also have great Roopushin, Nattorei, Breloom, Blaziken and Doryuzuu counters.

9.5 team with Gliscorb. There's actually very little room for improvement.

@Saint Ashes: I see what you're saying, I'll start work on a threats list here soon.

@Jaroda: Sounds good, I'll try Gliscorb out. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)