Tournaments ORAS Slam I - Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
OP largely stolen from Siatam

Good morning everyone, ORAS Slam is right around the corner (scheduled to begin February 5th), so I'd like to open this thread for tier discussion!

The purpose of this tour is to give ORAS lower tiers more exposure and let fans of them enjoy playing in them. The format will be five opens into qualifying for a seeded top eight playoffs.

What the tiers are will be up to the community. Options on the table include:
- Ubers
- UU
- RU
- NU
- PU
- LC
- Monotype
- DOU
- Suspect slots if there is support or need for them

Options not on the table include:
- OU
- A suspect slot and a regular slot of the same tier (no UU + Slurpuff and UU at the same time)
- Having more than five cups, this is too ambitious for the first edition

Please keep discussion in this thread civil! We will try to decide tiers from discussion here but will put out a vote if necessary.

Supporting Ubers/UU/RU/NU/LC, those are the "classic" Slam tiers so it would make sense to go with those for the first edition of the tour. I'm biased towards LC but I'm glad to see any and all of these tiers getting more tournaments.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Others are far more qualified to speak on other tiers, but I'll make a quick case for ORAS LC and PU.

Both are extremely fun tiers that encourage diverse team building and options — ORAS PU lets you run a triple monkey team (you can watch this in action if you find Xrn's PUPL games and we might've shared this publicly after winning it) and ORAS LC also enables a lot more viable picks that aren't the stereotypical Mienfoo centric teams people like to assume LC are. I've been playing the latter tier to a high degree for two tours in a row now and I think the lack of a gimmick unlike other modern LC tiers (and free of SS centralization) means that it's far more skill oriented and appealing to non mainers.

tl;dr pu and lc are fun skill oriented include them

UU and RU are top tier in this gen, and i would add DOU because it makes the possible pool of participants much more larger than any other tier (and this means that dou mains may fall for a tier that they never played before which i think is neat) , for the last two spots i would consider UBERS and NU (based in historical importance) tho lc has his merrits too (tho i personaly would make 6 cups to include LC with all the others tiers i talked about)

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
My favorite gen! With that in mind, my vote is cast for the upper 5: Ubers, UU, RU, NU, and PU

I heavily support ORAS LC, it is one of the best old gen tiers in my opinion and I would love to see it get more exposure.

It's probably the most expressive tier I've ever played when it comes to teambuilding and playing. Everyone who plays it has a slightly different style, some run all types of offense while others almost always run some version of bulky balance; no style is clearly dominant. In addition to stylistic diversity, the variety of Pokémon options is incredible. I personally tend towards the higher end of the viability rankings, but get my shit rocked all the time by people using niche mons in creative ways. Even nearly a decade after the game's release, I and others are still inventing new things in this tier.
Even with all of these new and old options to account for, the tier somehow avoids feeling matchup-based... I honestly do not know how that is the case, but it makes it a joy to play too! I'd love to see even more perspectives on the tier, as it is relatively unexplored thanks to its seemingly inexhaustible depth.

If you haven't played it, give it a chance! If LC ends up getting chosen, I'll do my best to update some of the resources :blobthumbsup:.

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Hi friends, thank you so much to everyone who gave their feedback! Based on this discussion, we will be going with this schedule:
ORAS Ubers - February 5th
ORAS UU - February 12th
ORAS LC - February 19th
ORAS RU - February 26th
ORAS NU - March 4th

Looking forward to everyone participating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)