ORAS Simple Questions Simple Answers Thread

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
*Insert cheesy banner here*

The name of the thread says it all! Any question you may have, from mechanics to the tournament scene, can be answered here.

Some guidelines to follow when asking a question:
  • Be descriptive. Make sure your question is descriptive and coherent so that you can get the answer you are looking for.
  • This is NOT a thread to request a ban / unban of a Pokemon. You may ask why a Pokemon has been banned, though.
  • Before asking a question, check to see if someone else beat you to it! A quick scroll through the thread and you may have your answer without needing to ask.

Resources: A common question is "where do I start?". Below are a few resources that can help.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Does anyone have the new style Mega Gallade set that made it rise in the ORAS OU rankings so much? I know it's something like SD/Drain Punch/Knock/Psycho Cut but I have no idea what the EVs would be since it currently doesn't have an analysis up for ORAS OU.

Does anyone have the new style Mega Gallade set that made it rise in the ORAS OU rankings so much? I know it's something like SD/Drain Punch/Knock/Psycho Cut but I have no idea what the EVs would be since it currently doesn't have an analysis up for ORAS OU.
ruffles set :
Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch

CBB/ Xray set
Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 152 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak/knock off/poison jab/ice punch

First set is for live from lorb clef and second set is for live from lorb exca after rock

How strong is Regenerator spam (2-3 mons) in the current metagame? What are it's strengths and pitfalls? Should I invest time into the concept?

We played this constantly in gen 8 OU and so coming back to gen 6 it's been what we've gravitated to. We've built a few teams with it (1 with help from Ithi) and it's felt good so far. But with how deep the knowledge of older gens goes, only playing ladder and our general lack of experience it's hard to judge. We'd love to hear what other players with more experience think

Vulpix03

RUPL Champion
Im just getting into gen 6 how does mega work bc my mega diancie was slower than keldeo and it wasnt scarfed.
On the turn that you mega evolve you still have the non mega evolution's base speed stat. That is one of the reasons why diancie runs protect, so that you can safely get your mega evolution off and have your mega's speed stat the following turn

In gen 7 you get the mega's speed stat immediately

Why are Mega-Latias, Mega-Tyranitar, and Mega-Slowbro in OU by Technicality, while something like Azelf isn't despite being very low on the Viability Rankings compared to the aforementioned Megas?

Vulpix03

RUPL Champion
Why are Mega-Latias, Mega-Tyranitar, and Mega-Slowbro in OU by Technicality, while something like Azelf isn't despite being very low on the Viability Rankings compared to the aforementioned Megas?
those 3 megas are "by technicality" because their non mega forms are OU by usage, but the mega'd forms are not. If the megas were individual pokemon then they would all have dropped to UU, but they cant because their base forms are OU.

As for azelf, it was OU when oras was current gen. Once a gen becomes an old gen mons can not drop even if they are terrible (azelf is)

those 3 megas are "by technicality" because their non mega forms are ou by usage, but the mega'd forms are not. If the megas were individual pokemon then they would all have dropped to UU, but they cant because their base forms are ou.
I know how OU by Technically works, it's just that what confuses me is that Raikou and Dugtrio are also OU by Technicality due to their poor viability in current OU. My main question is why doesn't Azelf fall into this category?

Vulpix03

RUPL Champion
I know how OU by Technically works, it's just that what confuses me is that Raikou and Dugtrio are also OU by Technicality due to their poor viability in current OU. My main question is why doesn't Azelf fall into this category?
Because tiering isn't based on viability it's based on usage. The last time they updated the "ou by technicality" list (probably 5 years ago?) azelf was still getting usage

Tbh I don't know why Raikou and duggy are even there it should be reserved for megas but they decided to do a once off update to give a better picture of what real ou looks like and then forgot about it

Because tiering isn't based on viability it's based on usage. The last time they updated the "ou by technicality" list (probably 5 years ago?) azelf was still getting usage

Tbh I don't know why Raikou and duggy are even there it should be reserved for megas but they decided to do a once off update to give a better picture of what real ou looks like and then forgot about it
I know that its usage based, I was just under the assumption that they would have been putting less viable mons that got trapped by usage in OU by Technicality since Azelf feels like a big noob trap imo
Thank you for answering

OU by technicality is updated every 6 months with mons that have usage far below the usual OU cutoff (has to be less than 2.28% iirc). Azelf is not there likely because, despite being bad, it's still used enough in ladder to stay in the regular OU list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)