Project oras ru research week (week 4: researching xatu, zard, and jynx check post #17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
i dont do what i want, approved by cutie Spirit
taken over and OP by 49
old thread here

>>credit to brightobject for the amazing banner, be sure to check out his his thread<<
Introduction
the overlying goal of this project is to encourage users to escape their useful 'comfort zones' as builders by utilizing pokemon less often seen or utilized effectively, perhaps due to perceived competition in its role, lower-tier status, or something else entirely. in doing so, one might hope for users to escape their respective 'comfort zones' as builders, making use of pokemon of lesser use, as well as perhaps introducing a pokemon that deserves more usage than it receives.

while i don't have any intention of pandering to anyone here, b.c frankly nobody wants to deal with that, i would like to lay down a basic idea of what one should be honing in on for this project:

• what significant niche(s) do the pokemon in question fill?
    • what kind of competition do these pokemon face in their particular role (if any), and if yes, then what traits allow them to distinguish themselves?
    • does the current metagame tend to favour these pokemon? if not, what ways can these pokemon adapt such that these issues can be mitigated?
generally speaking, each round will be posted around sunday evening and subsequently end in the following sunday. theorymonning is definitely welcome, but let's strive to keep things grounded, and whenever possible, supporting your ideas via calcs, replays, and so forth are very much appreciated. again, i don't want to patronize anybody here, and it'll be that much easier to avoid it when everybody's remaining cool n collected.

as with previous iterations of this project, a laddering challenge will be incorporated here, with the prize being sorted at this time (usually half-ops in #rarelyused is the safe bet here), and your name and findings being stored in the ever-so-prestigious hall of fame. simply post the alt and pokemon you willing be using, along with at least one post at the end of the week documenting your experiences with it / them (though, of course, we actively encourage you to post additional information), and based off the standings at the end of the week, you could win. also, for the badge fiends out there, the ru mod team does indeed take notice to the active posters in threads such as these, so participation in this can play a role in netting a pre-contributor, or eventually full community contributor badges.

happy posting

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
week #3

mawile ⎮clawitzer ⎮ vileplume

a set of intriguing mons, mawile has been gaining traction lately for being able to check physical attackers, set up rocks, weaken mega lix, have STABs, and potentially pass out in one set. clawitzer has always been overlooked and has been ru for a while. vileplume is a nother cool mon which beats scrafty, aromatherapy for your team, and heal itself in one moveset. post your alts and discuss! good luck n_n​

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
remember you guys must post your ladder achievements to be considered as the victor

also incorporating your thoughts on the aforementioned mons in your post is fun as this thread is supposed to be a somewhat discussion as well

slurmz do you mean by posting ladder achievements saying what our ELO is? Also I might as well post what I think so far of Mawile.
Mawile is a pretty good, as it can hard switch into most neutral physical hits. Also you can switch into a predicted resisted hit, and then proceed to switch out. It also can afford to run stuff like dual STABS, Toxic, Rocks, SD, Baton Pass, etc. allowing you to tailor it to your team's needs. Anyways I'll post more when I feel like it

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Clawitzer: I just could build around this mon I mean it as good Wallbreaking potential but it's speed I think just absoluly makes it unusable not only that but the drops weren't really of help to claw either
Mawile: This thing on the other hand is pretty good. It's ability to switch into Rantrum, Absol, Mega Aboma, and physical Sharpedo and can also take on fletch if they carry toxic. Also with Baton Pass you don't lose momentum unlike mons like Bronzong.

Here's a team I made with mawile the sets can be easily switched

Edit:
Oh also got to 1320 with it

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass
- Toxic

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb

Can't wait for next week mons

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Vileplume is very interesting. It can fit the role the role of amoongus except it misses out on Spore and Regenerator which are pretty crucial. But Vileplume can be a soft patch to team that have a weakness to fighting-types as Amoonguss doesn't really deal with them well as it can not hit them with a strong move. Moonblast can also be used to hit Dark-types and in particular Scrafty (which I had built a team to intentionally to be a big weakness) Aromatherapy is kind of hard to fit into its moveset as it kind of needs Moonblast to be more relevant enough to use over Amoonguss and its STABs. As for the fourth option Moonlight is generally better as it can act as a solid check to rain being able to stall out turns or just tank hits. Its option aren't much diverse out of that I mean you can run Aromatherapy over Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb but then you start losing Vileplume's checking potential.

Mawile @ Leftovers / Liechi Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Head / Play Rough
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

Mawile as been a fun experience and I have found it usefull on sooo many types of teams. It isn't limited to one niche that makes it an occasional choice. Mawile can serve the role as a great physical pivot in combination of its cool and unique defensive typing and Intimidate. It also helps to deal with Tyrantrum, currently one of the biggest threats in RU and use it as Set-up bait if you carry Baton Pass and Swords Dance. Stealth Rock is a mandatory almost as Mawile just excells at this role and it is almost too good to pass up. Unfortunately since Mawile has no where close to good stats it has to focus in defense as investing into special defense hardly helps it. Slow Baton Passes are excellent especially when you force pokemon out such as Choice Band Druddigon and Choice Scarf Tyrantrum. Swords Dance is an extreemly good option on offense that carries a lot of physical attackers since most pokemon on the team will appreciate doubling its attack. Fire Fang is cool for hitting Steel-types while your options between STABs is entirely team dependent. Mawile also doesn't have a shallow movepool by no means. Here is a simple list I have conjured up. Most of these options are just not usable though because of Mawile's 4MSS
  • Knock Off - This move is just great for disturbing opponents and it is Knock Off so
  • Pain Split - Pokemon such as Alomomola can't toxic Mawile so the only chip damage they can get themselves in ScaldBurns. You can use Alomomola as set-up bait, recover then BP out.
  • Seismic Toss - Consistency is key, although I would only really use this on stall
  • Super Fang - High Mega Steelix, Bronzong and Escalivier how would you like to lose half of your HP?
  • Taunt - Is really good but it is too slow to use effectively.
  • Toxic - helps to cripple pokemon like Mola
YOU BETTER DO JUMPLUFF NEXT WEEK!!!

Edit: Peaked at 1326 hah DK

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
discussion and laddering ends this sunday, please post your elo by Sunday at 7:00

1328 elo because i got lazy and tired and i didnt want to face bs anymore

So I guess I'll post more about Mawile. Mawile is a pretty nice rocker who has really good defensive typing, allowing it to check numerous threats in the tier such as Tyrantrum, Durant, and Escavalier (if it has fire fang). Also, it has a great ability in Intimidate, allowing your teammates to switch-in from Mawile and not take much damage. Mawile also has a perfectly tailored movepool for it. I'm really too lazy to actually list it, but you can go check SlaySD's post above mine to see it. However, Mawile really needs team support to function. It has access to some form of recovery in Pain Split, but it really doesn't have enough space to run it most of the time, causing you to often run Alomomola to be able to heal it multiple times in a battle. All in all, Mawile is very good, and should not be underestimated when facing it, or when thinking of a sold anti-meta Stealth Rock user.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
so the winner of week 3 is DKFirelord!

week #4

xatu ⎮ charizard ⎮ jynx

a recent drop alongside two underused mons that have been in NU for some time now. xatu is a neat mon, usually on more defensive teams. zard is a recent drop, proclaimed bad by many a user, however some others feel it has untapped potential. jynx has a couple cute sets. post your alts and discuss! good luck n_n.

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
alt: xatu doing
mon: xatu and maybe jynx

having trouble not being suit weak with jynx around D:

edit: taking out jynx i cant deal sry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)