Project oras ru research week #4 (researching hariyama, mega banette, and torterra , see post #49)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok I'm going to start doing this now each day I will post a team I used and thought on the mon I picked so let's get started:

Day 1:
Braviary @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Return
- Superpower

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Taunt

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

As I started building around Braivary I thought what appriated it's power and its first thing that cam was fletch. Fletch tho was priority and some may use over Braivery isn't very strong unless with a boost and has proble breaking passed Rhyperior M-Lix etc Braivery has the coverage and the power to do so. Brav also has the probleam of getting outspeed by common scarf users or its speed tier not being fast enough I.e Scarf Medi hitmonlee Viri etc Fletch on the other hand can outspeed all those thanks to priority. Alright that's it for the day Braivery performed its Wallbreaking role amazingly and did not upset.

Day 2:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Endeavor

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- U-turn

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic

Wanted to try not Scarf Braivery. Scarf Burd fixes Braivery probleam with its being a meh speed tier Turing it into a pretty good revenge killer. While also pairing it up with Melo + Hitmonless and Tyrantrum they clear the way for Bravery allowing it to sweep late game. The only real probleam is the power unliek LO or CB it can't really "damage" defensive cores like it would like to but Scarf still does its job good and will being a hazard Blocker and Revenge killer. Also thank MainEvent for this team (edited a bit though).

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
i don't care about winning and senpai dm can have week 1 if he wants and there was no one between us.

nick: subbu core
mons: Braviary and Gallade

fran17

(1999)
nick: 13 pm
pokémon: braviary

I laddered some time ago with Braviary and I think it is a really good mon with the right support. Sub bu can setup on many things and it can be hard to remove. It works really well againist slower builds like stall/semi stall, especially with a Steelix lure, as him can phaze Braviary or do an huge damage with heavy slam.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
The week goes by so fast lol. After using Bravairy this following week I can say it's a viable mom and a fn one at that. The best sets I think are Life Orb, Choice Band, Choicr Scarf, and Offfensive Bulk Up I've tried out the defensive variant of the Bulk Up set and it's pretty meh IMO needs a boost and it's to slow offensive BU Roost with SuperPower and Brave Bird on the other hand is pretty fun a plus 1 superpower can OHKOed Mega Lix after rocks and a spike and Rhyperior is OHKOed after 1 spike. The main min I paired Braivery up with is Fletchinder, Virizion, Flygon, and Tyrantrum. Fletchinder appriates Tehe ability to weaken Mega- Lix and Rhyperior, Virizion can take on Rock, Eletric , and Bulky Water- Types, like Alommola, that Braivery may have a probleam breaking, Flygon same as Borizion can get rid of steel and rock- types and provides Hazard Removel, and Tyrantrum same as Fletchinder aprriates Mega-Lix being weaken. I can see why peopel may choose other Flying-Types like Fletchinder, but it does have the ability to break Fletchinder and unlike Fletch doesn't need a Sword Dance boost to deal damage. That's all for this week see when the next mon is announced.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I actually wrote a post yesterday but my computer is garbage and I lost, so here's an abridged version.

I don't think Gallade is good or really all that useful. It has a bunch of decent enough sets, but *all* of them have a direct competitor I'd rather use or were birthed by someone using /ds <four random nonsense moves>. I did like a set of Wil o Wisp/Bulk Up/Substitute/Drain Punch even though it was mediocre because it was funny and the SD set did fine under screens (which I used the SD set's biggest competitor, Virizion, to set up, alleviating some of my "why am I not just using SD viriz" feelings). It seems cool enough on paper but is genuinely directly competing with something always which makes it feel not that great. If Medicham leaves soon maybe I'll change my mind a little.

LO Braviary is, and has always been, a heat set. Cool enough speed tier for a wallbreaker, has the potential to punish like every team ever since it beats literally every hazard remover 1 v 1 except offensive Flygon (Jolly Kabutops is kind of a tie I guess, and you don't switch in on most, but w/e). It doesn't hit as hard as other wallbreakers without a boost, but has nice enough coverage that that's not as big of problem as it could be. It's a little prediction reliant if your opponent has a mega steelix, but lix takes half from superpower, opening up the way for braviary to truly just spam it's STAB moves. 100/75/75 bulk is also very nice and makes roost a very helpful tool, especially against fatter teams. I didn't get to test it, but I think it likely pairs very well with Scrafty, since Togetic/Aromatisse/Grandbull all can get severely punished by defiant (even non defog togetic can't stand taking rocks over and over).

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't know, man. When i used Gallade it wasn't bad at all, it has the bulk that a slow early/mid breaker wants and it has coverage nice enough to blow through common fighting checks, which i think it's pretty nice.
I honestly believe swords dance gallade to be as efficient(if not more) than life orb medicham on that role albeit being a worse lg cleaner than scarf medicham which i think it's the set you should run atm. While with virizion i like that gallade has enough firepower to handle what would be a deffensive answer to a fighting type or a psychic type by itself, usually removing something you want gone from the game early on while still being not as easily revengeable as i thought it would be.
Gallade is of course, meh at best, so it comes with its share of flaws and that basically means you have to build your team as an unit designed specifically to support(or be supported by i.e fighting spam) it.
Despite all that i believe it has a fair share of singularity that warrants use, if anything.
Shadow sneak sucks lol

fran17

(1999)
After some battles I think that choice braviary is probably the best set, both scarf or band can be really problematic to play with for many teams, as his really good coverage and high attack stat can be problematic to play around. CB can 2HKO msteelix which is nice if you pair it with something like rock polish tyrantrum or durant, as usually many teams use steelix as the only check to these. Brave Bird is a really powerful stab to spam in late game situations, when the resistences are usually worn down i.e rhyperior/steelix. Also the amount of pressure it puts on things like Golbat and Togetic which are usually on fatter teams is really high, as giving him a +2 in atk can be a free kill or more if played well.

I tried Omastar and thought it was a very solid Pokemon, albeit not amazing. The major problem it has was inconsistency. Against certain offensive teams you run the risk of never being able to set up, which is why i took the advice of atomicllamas and ran Shuca Berry to create opportunities vs. those teams. Against balance, especially Fletchinder balance, it will often put in good work. It can set up vs. stall teams, but has a hard time killing stuff at +2. With some clever Mola shenanigans, your opponent can limit its onslaught with Toxic / passive attacks. Omastar can still put a nice dent in stall if it predicts well, especially if Omastar is running Lum Berry or Life Orb. Omastar is capable of bypassing common water checks like Gastorodon and Amoonguss with the appropriate coverage moves and a boosted Hydro Pump has the power to hit stuff like Bronzong hard, but Omastar's inability to outrun many common Choice Scarf users is a major deterrant.

I understand lead Omastar often runs Shell Smash to pressure hazard removers, although I regard that as a different set from 3 attacks Shell Smash so I won't talk about it here. Overall, Shell Smash Omastar is too inconsistent to justify laddering with, but it's not a bad idea to use to counterteam someone in a tournament match if you feel they're weak to offensive Water moves as some players tend to be (without relying on Rain, which is completely match-up reliant).

BTW, I have a feeling that Barbaracle would be pretty damn threatening in its own right lol.

ok, so w/a lil consideration on things, i decided that the metagame shifts make it pretty worthwhile to extend this to the proceeding sunday, given the tier shifts have some pretty significant implications for almost all the pokemon of this week (i also had an issue that kept me offline to any great capacity a few days prior, but i prefer that other excuse). that said, i'm really diggin the more natural discussion this project is exhibiting, so thanks for that buds. keep it up

ok, closing it up now so that we can keep on top of dates and whatnot, though feel free to bring up anything you may have wanted to about this previous week's pokemon if you see fit; again, i find this kinda stuff is best done free-form, and it's cool to know if maybe we're under-appreciating a 'mon here n there. that said, let's move things along

week #3

this week i thought it'd be cool to take a step, albeit a smaller one, back from more offensive building in favour of some bulkier goodstuffs. pelipper is a pokemon i've seen hyped up, and while i understand the mentality behind it, utilizing it optimally is a bit more difficult than i think is acknowledged a lot of the time. as for non-mega abomasnow (which, yes, is what i'm referring to), i feel it has some legitimate merit in the tier now that there is significant opportunity cost to be had of running alt megas, and would like to see some discovery of it. as for escavalier, i've found it to be an exceedingly difficult pick to justify on various builds, either being stunted in overall value by durant or having its roles outsourced to other 'mons for better results, but with the reincorporation of abomasnow and slowing, i feel it can establish itself as a more consistently useful pokemon.

that said, feel free to discuss. reading is radical!

fran17

(1999)
nick: frega il cristo
pokemon: planning to use just pelliper, but i will probably try out aboma and esca too

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
>Pelipper

So IN it hurts my neck trying to enter the computer screen

nick: LetsTryItOut
pokemon: All 3

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
Ok ots time for the day by day progress:
Day 1:

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Psycho Shift
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 96 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock

So I wanted to start on Aboma first and wanted to build it with Sigi + Doom since they both handle about all of its weakness. I tried out the Sword Dance set first with reg Aboma but as I started to battle it didn't do anything so I swapped it up with a mix LO set. After that I wanted a way to trap Psyscic and check Fire p-Types Houndoom wa she choice and went Sigi to have a better match up with stall. Went Scarf Rantrum to have a chance to sweep Offence late-game Mega-Lix for SR and a Tyrantrum, Fletch, and Fairy check and decided Lee for spin. Life Orb mixed Reg Aboma I actually kindy prefer over Mega the speed help it some stuff like Slwoking, Mega Lix, Mega- Rupt, and Tang though it can beat all these expect Steelix and Camrupt the other two can carry Focus Blast or Fire Blast for Mega Aboma also Aboma it outspeed by some Water types like Claw or Samarott that regular can outspeed though it doesn't hit as hard as Mega Aboma the speed just covers that fact.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Nick: Yolo like a Mofo
Mon: Esca

I wasn't even sure I'd be doing this one since Omastar didn't work out for me, but I managed to make a pretty neat team with it.

ayte, gonna go ahead and post up the next week. Scythe. won the ladder portion, but i'd appreciate any input folks had using the pokemon in question =)

week #4

delving a bit further into the nu pool this time. hariyama is a pokemon i see to have a more substantial niche in this new metagame due to a variety of unique traits, and with a lessened focus on mega steelix overall, i feel mega banette has more of window to be utilized effectively than it ever has. as for torterra, while it does not necessarily get favoured too heavily by the tier shifts, i do feel it is a pokemon that has been very unexplored in spite of substantial utility.​

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Gonna go ahead an say that regular abomasnow could very well be A ranked right now, lol
I'm serious it's almost just as good as it's mega from what i've seen, i'm even using the team i made for the research week(couldnt really ladder for it due to lack of time ):) to ladder on the suspect ladder and i think i lost like 3 times.

That aside i want hariyama this week
manaka no tsubasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)